A Most Unfortunate (Tale of Flanders V2.0)

A Most Unfortunate Event (Tale of Flanders V2.0)

A Most Unfortunate Time

By Nekromans

Part I: The Joys of Schadenfreude

Excerpted from "The Golden Days of Anglo-Hispania - A Brief History of a Briefer Union"
By Gregory Beckett-Williams
[Annotated for use in OTL]

To think that, just a decade or so before the Union of Anglo-Hispania, it would have been deemed impossible... it beggars belief. And yet it came so close to having never occurred, a possibility which seems even more impossible to us today. To understand the instability of the Anglo-Spanish entity, we must first realise how fragile the chain of causality that led to it was.

Ferdinand and Isabella were the founders of another unlikely union, that of Aragon-Castile. Under their guidance, most of Iberia was united, with Portugal effectively cut off from the rest of Europe. They begot enough children to make a small army, including a healthy young son, Juan. Their bloodline seemed secure.

Then tragedy struck. In just over a year, over half of their children suddenly died. The first was the most important - Juan, who fell dead of consumption on the way to a wedding in October of 1497, leaving his widow to give birth to a stillborn. The second was Isabella Queen Consort of Portugal, who fell victim to a hunting accident in August of 1498, leaving behind sickly Miguel as her only son. The third died in perhaps the most tragic of circumstances: Juana, who died in childbirth while in the Netherlands. Her child was a stillbirth. [1]

Only two of the offspring survived the events of 1497-98, Maria and young Catherine. With the infant Miguel's death in 1500, Maria became the heir presumptive to the throne of Castile, while Catherine married her way into the English succession, wedding Arthur, Prince of Wales and elder brother of a young man named Henry. Sadly, Arthur too fell victim to what is now known as the Regal Culling, where fate seemingly intervened to begin the Union. With Arthur's death, the widow Catherine was granted a Papal dispensation to wed young Henry, now the heir to the throne of England. They married in September of 1503.

1504 signified yet another year of deaths, as Isabella, Catherine and Maria's mother, passed away in November of 1504. Perhaps the strain of her family's endless deaths snapped something inside Maria, as the day after she learned of her mother's death and her accession to the throne of Castile, she was found hanging from the rafters in her room in Lisbon, making her one of the shortest-reigning monarchs in existence, and one of the only royal suicides in Europe. Catherine was crowned Queen of Castile on the 15th of March, 1505, with Henry serving as the King Consort of Castile.

[1] The death of Juana seems to be the POD for this timeline, as her children would include Charles V, IOTL the formal uniter of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments?

Last edited:
That bad, is it? :eek:

Any kind of comments would be appreciated greatly, except those of "your timeline sucks and so do you"... Oh, what the hell, post those if you want. Any publicity is good publicity...

...Please?

HueyLong

Banned
Your timeline sucks and so do you.

But no, seriously, its an interesting beginning, however this first update doesn't have much to comment on. I don't know a great amount about the monarchs in question to comment, and I know even less about their full dynasty.... I'm certain its the same with others.

MrP

Banned
A lot of deaths - interesting. Good so far, :) though lacking the creation of HMS Dreadnought a few hundred years ahead of schedule I'm a little stuck to comment further ;)

EDIT: Oh, hang on - what am I saying? The date of the POD - no Anglicanism in England! Egad! :eek:

Good as the original was, Nek. :) But since I don't think you got to this point in that one, what happens if Henry decides he wants a divorce? It would definitely make the TL a slight more interesting if Henry and Catherine's luck with getting a boy is the same. No doubt he would have a relatively easy time forcing the Pope to agree, but what will his Spanish subjects think?

MrP: I thought you were Catholic? Shouldn't you be doing a victory dance or something? :D

Thande: Thankee for the praise, I'm basing the layout on LTTW. Oh, and have you noticed anything about the author of the book this is excerpted from... Gregory Beckett-Williams?

Luakel: Given that his power over Castile (and, after this update, Aragon) is only because of his marriage to Cat, why would he divorce her? Sure, if it was like OTL and he didn't need her to keep power, but ITTL he'd probably just stay with her for fear of being booted off the Spanish thrones.

Anyway, speaking of the Spaniards...

Part II: Darth Tudor

Excerpted from "The Golden Days of Anglo-Hispania - A Brief History of a Briefer Union"
By Gregory Beckett-Williams
[Annotated for use in OTL]

As Henry settled into his new life as King of Castile, he began to spend time with Ferdinand. His friendly relations with Ferdinand helped to ease Aragonese worries about a foreign king ruling their long-term rival, and Ferdinand saw him as another son, like dead Juan, and took him into his confidence. Courtiers' diaries indicate that Henry greatly admired Ferdinand, and indeed learnt a great deal from him, mostly about politics.

The death of Henry's father in 1509 led to him receiving the crown of England, binding the kingdoms of Castile and England into a personal union. Ferdinand worried about Aragon's fate, should any of the three lands fall under an aggressive ruler, and since there was no apparent male heir, he decreed that the Salic Law governing the succession should be interpreted as to allow a woman to claim the throne, should there be no suitable male heir. Though the Aragonese Cortes were unhappy with this arrangement, Ferdinand made it quite clear that accepting this interpretation was good for the health - or, rather, that not accepting it was not good for the health. [1]

While Henry ruled in Spain, his subjects in England were under the government of Thomas Howard, the Duke of Norfolk. Many resented Henry's apparent preference of Castile over England, apparently confused as to why someone would choose the sunny Iberian peninsula over the drab skies of the British Isles. More than one man noted the fate of one king who spent most of his life in foreign lands - Richard the Lionheart, who ended up held to ransom in Europe by Austrian nobles, leading to the disasters of John Lackland's reign. While it is unclear how Henry would be abducted by Austrians, the underlying message was clear: Henry should be ruling England, not relaxing in Spain.

In France, Francis I took the throne in 1515. He was envious of the Anglo-Hispanic territories, and made no attempts to hide his anger at France being surrounded by powerful rivals - England in the North, Spain in the South, and the Holy Roman Empire to the East. The only way he could see to end this "Vast Imprisonment" (as he called it in his more bitter moods) was to become Holy Roman Emperor. He began to curry favour with Maximilian of Habsburg, the current Emperor, who was starting to show signs of age, but was politely rebuffed by Austrian courtiers, much to his chagrin.

In 1517, Ferdinand fell deathly ill, and on his deathbed he formally named Catherine as his heir, with Henry to take the title of King Consort of Aragon. He passed away on March 3rd, binding the kingdoms of England, Castile and Aragon into a personal union, and creating the entity of Anglo-Hispania. A year later, Maximilian suffered a similar fate. The Holy Roman Empire was now without an Emperor, and only one man could fill that throne. [2]

[1] In OTL, this interpretation was known as Semi-Salic law.
[2] This statement has been proven to be false: experiments have confirmed that three men could sit quite comfortably in the throne.

Comments?

Oh, and a map is coming up in the next post to let you know what's what in Europe in 1519. Chocolate is Anglo-Hispania - created by mixing the English and Spanish colours. The rest of it is Universal Colour Scheme (Hapsburg-tested, Knight Templar-approved)

Here is the map, as promised:

A Most Unfortunate Time.png

Huh. A king who rules the HRE, Castile, and England...

What about Scotland & Ireland? To big for the large kingdom to handle?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Very nicely done :)

A few answers to questions asked, or unasked :-

The succession of Castile goes to a woman where primogeniture delivers it to her. Aragon, historically, always went to a man.

One thing to note is Ferdinand II's remarriage to Germaine of Foix and their short-lived son. He should at least get a mention since his brief existence threatened the unity of Spain, which at this date was little more than a living concept rather than a reality

OTL did Aragon accept the semi-Salic Law or did it fudge it ? I know that in some kingdoms succession could go THROUGH a female, as long as it didn't end there - England before Henry VIII's daughters more or less adopted this rule (as with Matilda, and with Stephen's succession, and with the descent of the Duke of York or Henry Tudor).

I can hardly be a voice of authority, as I tend not to remember things very long, but was the succession to the Aragonese crown in OTL vested in Juana, or in her son ?

Whilst Ferdinand's will makes his intentions clear, the Aragonese cortes were amongst the most independent-minded of this period and I am not sure whether they need to formally accept the arrangement for it to become true ? If Germaine exists in your timeline, and is now widow of Ferdinand, she could well play a role similar to her OTL one and provide support for her husband's wishes; IIRC Charles V made her Regent of Valencia during the troubles in Spain around his succession. She is not apparently the non-entity history paints her as (or as often as not forgets to paint her as, since history tends to forget her completely a lot of the time !)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hmm, that's quite interesting. In response to your question about Semi-Salic Law - I just made that bit up.

I might have to use Germanie ITTL at some point - is she the Dowager Queen of Aragon at this point, then?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Regarding the Aragonese cortes, each realm had one - so when Charles V became King he first went to Saragossa and the Cortes of Aragon who kept him in negotiations for six months, then to Barcelona and the cortes there who also negotiated with him for several months. He would have gone on to the cortes of Valencia but his grandfather Maximilian died so he high-tailed it back to Germany. One thing to note about this latter is that since he never made an agreement with the cortes of Valencia the agreement clearly isn't necessary to make him de jure King there, but presumably is necessary for a working arrangement between king and cortes where everything works as best it could

After Charles V left, Valencia erupted into riots and civil war I'd need to look more closely into to understand but they seem to have been led by burghers and spread to Mallorca. It was these that Germaine de Foix was instrumental in putting down - she was doing this as Regent of Valencia appointed 1523 by Charles V, rather than in any role as Queen Dowager

There are butterflies with regards to Maximilian that perhaps have some important effects in the world you create for this timeline. OTL he was very hands-on in his grandchildren's marriages; here of course he has no grandchildren from his only son, Philip - UNLESS you have Philip remarry after Juana's death which seems reasonable considering the Burgundian inheritance he is carrying around with him

Maximilian thus arranged in OTL the dual marriages to the two Hungarian-Bohemians, but he also had back-up plans, and as Emperor it is POSSIBLE these back-up plans may play a role. He might have wed 12 year old Anne himself as his third Empress - this was the back-up plan if Ferdinand could not make it out from Spain. And he might have adopted Lajos as his own son and made him King of the Romans. Which would be interesting !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
A few bits and pieces I looked up over lunch since the library finally delivered my book on Spain and America that I ordered a couple of weeks ago

OTL Philip The Handsome was only King of Castile, but the ennumeration of Kings of Spain basically adopts the numbers from Castile (hence later Alphonso XIII of Spain), like Great Britain did with England's kings rather than Scotland's.

Again, OTL on Philip's death Ferdinand became Regent in Castile for Juana, and/or for Charles V (to be) - there seem to have been varying interpretations. All this time Ferdinand remained King of Aragon, but as Aragon was population-wise 1/5 of the unified country, Castile's rulers and interests are usually associated with those of Spain. Castile also controlled the Indies' empire.

OTL on Ferdinand's death his will decided the succession as it was unclear - this will be very useful to you :) Ferdinand had originally wanted Aragon to go to Ferdinand, the Spanish-born and brought-up younger brother of Charles V (to be) - he was only an adolescent at the time. When he lay dying, Ferdinand's councillors got him to revise this so the succession went to Charles instead. If not, there could well have been a civil war. Charles succeeded to the crown of Aragon in full sovereignty, whereas in Castile he succeeded jointly with his (not altogether mentally competent) mother. Again, this indicates that where-ever possible succession to Aragon may go through a woman if necessary but not to woman.

What you have, though is different because Aragon has basically run out of male heirs. The succession will have to go TO a woman, and Catalina (seems to be Catherine of Aragon's Spanish name) is the only candidate

Interestingly, OTL on Ferdinand's death his will created two Regencies - one for Castile in waiting for Charles to come and join his mother (technically beyond Ferdinand's jurisidiction but a necessary practicality) and one for Aragon. The Castile regency went to Cardinal Cisnero (is he the chap older histories referred to as Ximenes ?) but the Aragon regency, and the reason I'm mentioning it, went to Ferdinand's bastard son Alonso, Archbishop of Saragossa.

It seems from a note I read that Alonso was dead by c1518 (or 1520 anyway) and the new Archbishop was HIS bastard son, Juan who was a member of the Council of the Realm after Charles V departed to Germany

Thus, Alonso and after him Juan could play interesting roles in an alternate history

I don't recall offhand the marriage date of Germaine de Foix to the Margrave of Brandenburg but it was by 1520 - however, without the Habsburg connection she probably never meets him ! OTL it seems she may have had a brief love affair with Charles V on his arrival in Spain. One can't really see her doing this with Henry VIII I don't think... tho' if Henry is living in Spain he probably never meets Anne Boleyn (depends on many factors) and in 1516 both Henry and Germaine are relatively young. It would be interesting, or amusing, if Henry wanted to divorce Catherine for Germaine ! More probably he might just try to get himself a nice bastard, preferably a male one as a sort of spare heir (like in OTL he had Henry Fitzroy whom he created Duke of Somerset and Richmond)

A note must be made about the Duke of Alba, a close friend of Ferdinand II, though not I think an Aragonese (not sure where Alba is...?). OTL his lancers defended Ferdinand during the difficult period of Philip The Handsome's arrival in Spain after Isabella's death. This hasn't happened, but one can suppose that something similar occurred when Henry VIII came over with Catherine - however, Henry may well have been more accommodating than Philip, and as you have him getting on better with Ferdinand than Philip did Alba's lancers may not seem to have paid such a vital role in keeping Ferdinand safe. OTL this role basically meant that Alba could get whatever he wanted from Ferdinand, but gave his loyalty to him at all times. I was just thinking about any major nobles you may want

Of course, at this time Aragon is in a personal union with Sicily and with Naples, and in 1506 Ferdinand went off to Naples for the first time - his marriage to Germaine de Foix had come with Naples' security attached in the French king's promise to leave it alone in the intention that it would in time go to a male offspring of Ferdinand and Germaine. Thus whilst Ferdinand remains alive and this child remains possible, Naples is safe for Aragon, but upon his death France may well invade - which would not be much fun for Henry VIII to try to deal with !

There is also a note that the Marquis of Deza is Ferdinand's cousin - I don't know any more about him, but again he would be a noble of some importance at this period

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
You might want to play with Columbus ?

OTL he visited Ferdinand in Castile after Isabella's death (and before the arrival of Juana and Philip The Handsome). Now, it seems more likely that Catherine and Henry would come over to Castile very much quicker on the death of Isabella and thus it could well be Henry VIII whom Columbus goes to see in mid 1505

OTL he was dead by May 1506, but no cause of death is really known, so if Henry gives him something to do, he may well live to do it. OTL it seems his thoughts were turning increasingly to Jerusalem rather than the Indies, but as this was tied up in a prophecy about the Catholic monarchs reclaiming the city, Henry might not be a worthwhile heir to it. But the Indies is a Castilian affair at this juncture, so Columbus won't have reason to go see Ferdinand instead, and anyway Ferdinand is probably heading off for Naples somewhat earlier than OTL

An interesting aside on all this is that Columbus never knew he had discovered anything other than a far Eastern bit of Asia (which is what he believed South America to be). Thus, it may not be obvious to anyone much that Newfoundland (found by Cabot for Henry VII) is of the same continental land mass as South America. However, in OTL the Spanish ambassador did tell Henry VII it was Spanish ! Which pissed Henry off, the ambassador reported back. Later, it seems Portugal sent a mission up there (makes sense I guess since Labrador is a Portuguese place name). Newfoundland thus is in dispute, tho' I don't think anyone actually wants to go to live there anyway ! Settlement in the New World seems to have been a continuation of Castile's Reconquista practice of settling the land taken from the Moors. One supposes therefore that a unified England-Castile just might decide to send some people to go to live on Newfoundland...?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Oh, you might have a Navarese problem here as well

In 1512 Ferdinand, as Regent of Castile, ordered the Duke of Alba (qv above) to invade Upper (or now Spanish) Navarre (centred on Pamplona) and a well-disposed Pope said nice idea, you can have it.

But after 1504 in this timeline, Ferdinand never becomes Regent of Castile (OTL he was effectively Regent before Juana and Philip arrived from the Netherlands and then after Philip's death). Without Castile's resources, would he go for Navarre on his own Aragonese back ? Or perhaps he could convince Henry VIII to go for it ? OTL it was annexed to Castile anyway, a bit oddly considering that previously any personal unions had always been with Aragon.

But its possible in your timeline that neither of them go for it, and that it remains part of the Kingdom of Navarre (which in OTL after 1512 only consisted of 'French' Navarre centred on Pau).

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

...Yes, I think that's the end of the notes I made :)

This is very nice - the only bit I didn't buy was the suicide - I just don't see that happening, and certainly not by hanging, which in that era is a humiliating death.

If Henry tries to get elected Emperor, there'll be a whole lot of fighting over this.

Grey Wolf

Donor
This is very nice - the only bit I didn't buy was the suicide - I just don't see that happening, and certainly not by hanging, which in that era is a humiliating death.

If Henry tries to get elected Emperor, there'll be a whole lot of fighting over this.

If Maria takes poison won't people think someone else has done away with her ? Tho' perhaps that would add a little spice to the event, as people perhaps look with distrust to the English ?

Do you think Lajos being adopted by Maximilian is a possibility here ? I guess it depends on whether Nek has Philip The Handsome remarrying after Juana's death. I certainly can't see why he wouldn't, and he had a fair number of bastards I think so he is fertile enough. Of course, he could marry someone who isn't... Or perhaps their children would just be too young to be considered for the imperial throne when Maximilian dies ? Of course, if Maximilian marries Anna himself, he's around for 4 years afterwards and she might well bear him an heir... but again that would be an infant at his death

I would suspect that Lajos would be a candidate for the Imperial crown, though unless Philip is dead (and his OTL death was hardly predestined, just one of those things) he is King of The Romans

How many times has the Empire been without a duely acknowledged heir in the lifetime of an ageing emperor ? Of course, for a while its been a Habsburg preserve, but Maximilian could find he is without a viable (old enough) Habsburg heir - so perhaps he does adopt Lajos, or perhaps even he gives his backing in his will to Henry VIII, which would provide him with a great boost for his challenge...

A Habsburg child would then inherit Austria and Burgundy... It depends on whether Philip has an heir, if not one assumes that succession to these goes to Maximilian's daughters...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf