A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander

Banned
Here is a map I did, of a possible WWI draw.

Note that there are both the Holy Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Republic. That with border around it is occupied.

1 = Helvetic Republic
2 = Liechtenstein

europe 1.PNG

Hapsburg

Banned
Would that make them Dukes or Counts of Kennedy?
Neither. They hold the British Peerage title "Duke of Connacht" (est.3024), though they reside in North America. The "von" is just the part of the name that was added when the Terran Emperor, also King of Bavaria, ennobled the Kennedies; similar to how Frederick Schiller became Frederick von Schiller in 1802, the "von" part is a simple addition to what their name was already.

Neither. They hold the British Peerage title "Duke of Connacht" (est.3024), though they reside in North America. The "von" is just the part of the name that was added when the Terran Emperor, also King of Bavaria, ennobled the Kennedies; similar to how Frederick Schiller became Frederick von Schiller in 1802, the "von" part is a simple addition to what their name was already.
Von indicates he rules over the land that is his surname or had ancestors that did...

Susano

Banned
Von indicates he rules over the land that is his surname or had ancestors that did...

Ah... not so in the name. In the official title, yes, there is a difference between zu and von. But in purely name, no. With exceptionns of course, but normally nobility has "von" in its name.
Lets take the Great Elector, Frederick William of Brandenburg, of House Hohenzollern, for example. He was Margrave "zu" Brandenburg, but nontheless he was "of Hohenzollern" (never mind he or his branch of the family didnt rule it), ... even though of ocurse that stylle of family names wasnt used at the time... well, Im fishing for examples :p

What's the Matter with Kansas, indeed! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really like that map, Scarecrow. Although I think it would have looked better on a smaller NA map template.

I was thinking of doing something like that as well . . .

smaller template? bah! that would distract from the intracite detail of the Petty Carolian States, or the glorious ness of the Lands of the Holy Order.
As with some many things in life, the thing to remeber about maps is, 'the bigger the better' ;)

Yes! Kansas rules! Oh, and it's Kansan.

Wizard of Oz in that world...

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore,"

"Well, that narrows it down to only 65% of the world..." ;)

Wizard of Oz World: snip

LOL David.

If i have time, i may write about this world, as i had done with One Thousand Thrones...

would anyone be interested in reading the story of how the Diktat of Kansas conquored most of America?

Hapsburg

Banned
Did you miss my Frederick Schiller--->Frederick von Schiller example?
When Schiller was ennobled in 1802, he did not have a fief, but he recieved the noble "von" regardless, and thus became a nobleman. The preposition at one time did indicate rulership, and in that context, you are right; but, by the 1800s, it could just be added to name in order to make them a part of the aristocracy. This part of it continues well into the 3000s and beyond, into the 6000s and the era of the Union.

Here's my map of the world situation in 2040

PostPacificwar.png

China has just emerged victorious from the Great Asian War (non nuclear) against an alliance of America, India and Taiwan.

Taiwan has been forcibly reunited with China and India has been broken up along ethnic lines with a rump state of the Hindi areas remaining. Pakistan, although having fought on the side of China, also collapsed and was divided along ethnic lines.

The three superpowers in the world are the United States of America, People's Republic of China and the European Union. Other major powers include Canada, Russia, Japan and the Arab League. Lighter colours on the map indicate towards which power the coloured nation look to for political and economic support.

PostPacificwar.png

Thande

Donor
Nice map, Aidan. You might want to know about the recolouring trick in MSPaint for easily handling all the annoying white bits in e.g. the Canadian islands, turning them to sea blue. Just select the eraser tool, left click on a white area, right click on a blue area, then RIGHT-button hold down and wave the cursor all over the white areas, and they'll turn to blue without changing anything else. :)

Question: Why is Japanese area of Indonesia called Java and Guinea when Java (the island) is clearly the capital region of the Republic of Jakarta?

Just a little map I worked on last night. Just finshed the Western Hemisphere and I'm going to release a world European and a Detailed North American Map.

WHCOD1921.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.