A Man Is Finished When He Quits - The Early Presidency of Richard M. Nixon

Great work! I love the attention to detail and how you summarize some changes at the bottom of each post. Keep it up!

A quibble: Frost was a Kennedy supporter. Kennedy chose him to recite the poem, and it was the first ever time a poet was invited to speak at an inauguration. That probably wouldn't have happened with Nixon.

Yes, I heavily agree with you there, but I am a massive fan of Frost myself, and I do like having the poem at the inaugural. I figured with Frost, he would show up whether or not it was Kennedy or Nixon. and maybe Nixon would do it simply as a little Haha towards Kennedy.

either way, its just a small detail that I figured wouldn't make much of a difference.

And we have a brief but well-put-together introduction to the Nixon presidency. Do Kennedy and Johnson remain in the Senate?

Possibly Nelson Rockofeller, but if so, I have no idea what position he could have.
He would be a good choice for Secretary of State.

Just for the record, while I can't think off the top of my head an entire cabinet, I doubt he would pick only Governors/Congressmen/Senators. Eisenhower's cabinet comprised of eight corporate executives and a labor leader.

Fergie

Banned
Potential Cabinet appointments

James Paul Mitchell-Was Considered for the VP Slot.
George Kennan-Headed Operation Solarium for Eisenhower.
Paul Nitze-Advised both Democrats and Republicans and was a key architect of Cold War policy.
Gerald Ford-Nixon Thought highly of him even back then.
Robert Meyner-Governor of NJ very highly thought of.
Alfred Driscoll-Former Governor of NJ very highly thought of.
Joseph Holt-Representative from California very Close to Nixon stalked his opponent back in the 1950 Senate Campaign.
Murray Chotinor-Karl Rove Style Strategist active in California for Nixon and other republicans might get a role close to the President.
Howard Hughes-But this could cause problems.
Thomas Dewey-Just to Keep the Liberal wing on board.
Baruch Korff-Powerful Jewish activist very close to Nixon.
Christian Herter-Respected figure in the Eisenhower administration.
John Volpe-Served in OTL Nixon Cabinet highly respected.
Nelson Rockefeller-Always a good choice
Margaret Chase Smith-TOKEN

Last edited:
-The First Days-

richard-nixon_zps93d899b9.jpg

"Dick went over and over and over possibilities, the man spent days deciding on who would be who for this Administration, one thing they can't say is that he made the appointments without thought." - Robert Finch (1971)

The Cabinet

With Richard Nixon formally sworn in, a new aura could be felt in the White House, one of quickened progress, and fresh yet trained experience. The first motions of the Nixon Administration would be the appointing of the Presidential Cabinet. Following through on the promise made by the Vice President that the new administration would appoint, “A Black Man” to a position on the Cabinet, Richard Nixon decided to select Ralph Bunche as the Secretary of Health Education and Welfare due to Bunche’s carrying of a Nobel Peace Prize, and his work in the areas of Education. He would become the first man of color to hold the position of a cabinet secretary in United States History. Furthermore, several secretaries of the Eisenhower Presidency would return when asked to continue serving under Nixon. Robert Anderson would return as the Secretary of the Treasury, and Christian Herter would be relocated to the position of the Secretary of Commerce. A Congressman by the name of Gerald R. Ford, who had made his presence well known in Congress, and who had attracted Nixon’s attention was offered the Secretary of Justice, which he accepted after a personal phone call made from Nixon himself.

Telephone Recording Between Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford (early 1961):
Secretary: Hello?
N: Hello, I'm calling for Representative Ford
S: May I ask who's calling?
N: Richard Nixon
:Line changes:
F: Hello.
N: Hi. This is Richard Nixon, and I was calling you Gerry..... you don't mind if I call you Gerry?
F: No, go ahead.
N: Well Gerry.... I was calling to gauge your interest in taking the position of Secretary of Justice.... I'd like you to be my Attorney General.
F: Well, I'm interested, you have that much.
N: Of course this would mean you would have to resign from your current position.
F: True. True.
N: Well, I'll give you some time to think it over, I'm not expecting you to jump on the train without any consideration, that wouldn't be what I'd be looking for in an attorney general.
F:kissingheart:slight laughter*
N: Well, I'll let you get back to your business. Have a good Friday Gerry. Not too good though.
F: Alright, bye.
N: B...
*END RECORDING*

Additionally, Paul Nitze would be given the role of Secretary of Defense based on his experience in the field of foreign policy. Among others appointments, Margaret Smith would be appointed to the Secretary of Labor, Meyner would be approved as the Secretary of the Interior, Joseph Holt would be appointed to Postmaster General, and Alfred Driscoll would become the Secretary of Agriculture. Nelson Rockefeller, as many suspected, was positioned to become the Secretary of State for the Nixon Administration, a position that was accepted reluctantly by the man Nixon had just defeated for the Republican Nomination. Additionally, George F. Keenan was tapped to be the National Security Adviser.

Nixon would award several men on his campaign staff with positions on the White House Staff. Robert Finch, his campaign manager for the 1960 election, would be given the role of Nixon’s Chief of Staff, a position that was deemed too public for Murray Chotiner. Chotiner, who had recently been plagued with investigations with dealings regarding two Atlantic Clothing Manufactures who had previously been barred from government contracts due to fraud, was still deemed too controversial to have a position in such a public aspect of the Administration, and was instead slated to become Counselor to the President. Herbert Klein would therefore represent the Presidency as Press Secretary.

However, there was one name on the list of appointments few figured would ever appear in politics again. Due to several phone calls, among other methods, Thomas E. Dewey agreed to become the United States Ambassador to the United Nations. Many viewed the move as one of respect to an older age of the Republican Party, and few opposed the measure as Dewey was deemed as appealing both to the left and right of the nation, as well as carrying with him a history of trustworthiness.

nixon_620_zps1535b049.jpg

Richard Nixon during a press meeting announcing cabinet appointees.

While some appointments were slightly debated before approval, in short time all of Nixon’s choices were approved by Congress. While some were against the appointment of Bunche as a member of the Cabinet, most viewed Nixon’s actions as a major step in Civil Rights, and viewed the action in itself as highly respectable, in that within several days, Richard Nixon had already followed through on one of the promises made during the election season. Overall as well, many viewed the President in a positive manner with his decisions on who would fill the positions for the new decade, and many perceived this development as a sign that the Nixon Presidency would be one of prosperity.

Returning Bruised and Tattered and Finding Enemies Nextdoor

jfk_zps0263f287.jpg

John F. Kennedy the night after the election, the realization seemingly just setting in.

With the victory of Richard Nixon in the 1960 election, John F. Kennedy would go down as the man who lost the democrats the Presidency in 1960, even after stripping the nomination from the man they had seemingly backed beforehand. Kennedy, still a Senator for the state of Massachusetts would return to his duties as they were prior to his campaign. Hanging up Presidential hopes for what was likely to be the rest of his political career, Kennedy furthered his current status by declaring that he would remain in the Senate, and do his best to serve the people of Massachusetts from his Senatorial seat. Privately, however, Kennedy was far from the healthy and fit candidate he had tried so greatly to appear as in 1960. Numerous health problems were plaguing the Senator, who was in a constant yet secret pain. Addison's disease as well as a bad back were doing their best to cripple the man at every turn, it was only with highly expensive and frequent medications that he was able to get out of bed in the morning. To make matters worse, marital problems with his wife Jacqueline Kennedy had begun to worsen with the loss of the election, an already delicate issue at times was worsening at an encroaching rate. However, mast marital issues were delayed when JFK Jr. (John John) was born just two weeks after the election defeat.

Lydon Johnson, would also return "gently" back to his role in the Senate as the Majority Leader. Those close could feel if not hear the animosity LBJ held towards Jack Kennedy for losing the election, of which he began to personally blame on Kennedy himself. Viewing his loss in the First Presidential Debate as when they should have packed camp and headed home, Johnson had purposefully stayed on the warpath towards the Kennedy's. However, most of his wrath was received and presented in private, preferring to carry out rants out of the public eye. For now, Johnson would focus on the Senate and await the run he was more or less guaranteed in 1964. HE himself did his best early on to ensure that "Jack" wouldn't get another run in '64

lbj_phone_lg_zpsdb3f7d49.jpg

LBJ taking one of his many Phone Calls in his Senate Office

Phone Conversation held by Lydon Johnson on Inauguration day, person on the other line was never documented.

LJ: "You see all of this today... The bastard had Frost up there. Frost, that was our guy. Not to mention Elvis in the parade.... I still can't believe that young Rough and Ready choked in the debates.... That He happily agreed to by the way, it wasn't like he was nervous or anything... Goes out and chokes, blows the whole goddamn thing. I tell you, the Kennedy's are just a name, there's nothing Majestic about them, Jack and that Robert to, I can't stand them, self righteous and arrogant. "
Unknown: "Sounds like someone still carries some animosity."
LJ: "Oh, to hell with you to."
*chuckling*
LJ: Well, here's to Tricky Dick blowing the whole deal.... If anyone can bring down Dick............ it'll be himself. Well, I got to go, having lunch today.
*END CONVERSATION*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Hope you enjoyed this little update I was able to type up due to a bought with insomnia.

1. First of all we have a completely alternate cabinet, featuring the first African American Cabinet Appointee, that in OTL didn't come until LBJ's Presidency.
2. We can see the early stages of worsening in Kennedy's condition as compared to OTL, as he will not get the EXPERT care he got due to being President. Although not much worse at all, I just figured I'd put it in there.
3. The Kennedy marriage, "Rocky" at parts in the late '50's and early '60's coupled with a lost election, and possible fights over JFK's infidelity can begin to see some wear and tear.
4. George Keenan (an OTL creator of containment who was heavily opposed to the conflict in Vietnam) has been appointed as National Security Advisor.
5. LBJ's relations with the Kennedy's can be seen to be heavily decimated with what was ever there by both his loss of the nomination per OTL, coupled with Kennedy's loss.
6. "Gerald Ford will become Attorney General at noon tomorrow."
7. here's a list of the Cabinet for those who don't want to decrypt the paragraphs, and also if i left any out.

Vice President - Henry C. Lodge
Secretary of State - Nelson Rockefeller
Treasury - Robert B. Anderson
Defense – Paul Nitze
Justice – Gerald R. Ford
Postmaster General – Joseph F. Holt
Interior – Robert B. Meyner
Agriculture – Alfred E. Driscoll
Commerce- Christian Herter

Labor- Margaret Chase Smith
H.E.W. – Ralph Bunche

Chief of Staff – Robert Finch
Counselor to the President- Murray Chotiner
Press Secretary- Herbert G. Klein
United States Ambassador to the United Nations- Thomas Dewey
National Security Advisor- George F. Kennan

I'm going to guess a Johnson/Humphrey ticket come 1964, as I remember it, ol' dirty bastard took HHH on as his disciple, and they balance out rather well. Although I would be hilarious to see a Humphrey/Johnson ticket, somehow :eek::p.

Did Nixon and Humphrey have any kind of working relationship by the 1960 election?

Last edited:
I would say Johnson would rather jump head first off of the Washington Monument than ever run second string again in a presidential race.

additionally, Johnson will be more likely to run in '64 than '68. :)

I would say Johnson would rather jump head first off of the Washington Monument than ever run second string again in a presidential race.

additionally, Johnson will be more likely to run in '64 than '68. :)

Ment '64 :eek:, although he could pull an FDR and come out of the shadows later as the failed VP nominee. Also, LBJ is nothing if not patient, he would force himself to live to 100 just to get the Pro Tem position and get in the line of succession if he wanted to.

Also, what was the Senate confirmation vote for Ralph Bunche? I imagine all of the South opposed it (exception for LBJ probably, doesn't wanna look petty or racist) and threatened a filibuster (at least one would).

Ment '64 :eek:, although he could pull an FDR and come out of the shadows later as the failed VP nominee. Also, LBJ is nothing if not patient, he would force himself to live to 100 just to get the Pro Tem position and get in the line of succession if he wanted to.

Also, what was the Senate confirmation vote for Ralph Bunche? I imagine all of the South opposed it (exception for LBJ probably, doesn't wanna look petty or racist) and threatened a filibuster (at least one would).

It was very narrow, but I have yet to work out specifics.