Artaxerxes

Banned
I know there was an awful lot to process in that update, but I'm just enjoying the news that William the Wanker is finally, finally dead.

Now, let's find out just how much worse the other guy is, shall we?

This guys seems actually competent. Everything is going to get so much worse.

Bishop Odo...said he was going to make a tapestry...describing the Battle of Yquebeuf.
He nodded to some armed men standing by, who bodily dragged the screaming ecclesiast away to God-knew-where.

What, no Yquebeuf tapestry? But then where will the controversy come from about how William (the Avenger/Usurper/whatever he ends up being called) actually died? :p

TL continues to be excellent - congrats.

Could you maybe remove the 'canal' tags which were spammed before Ian limited tags to thread starters?

What, no Yquebeuf tapestry? But then where will the controversy come from about how William (the Avenger/Usurper/whatever he ends up being called) actually died? :p

TL continues to be excellent - congrats.

Could you maybe remove the 'canal' tags which were spammed before Ian limited tags to thread starters?
Sure thing. Only noticed them when you pointed them out, actually.

If I wasn't in a public place right know I'd have roared at this one.

Well, looks like Normandy is about to get even more interesting. How long till the King of France decides that he's not entirely comfortable with having another large, powerful vassal with territories on either side of the Royal Demesne?

As it is Philip I and not Philip II, that will mean damn little, I'm afraid. This isn't the era of badass French Kings, it is the era of French Kings who politely clear their throats and ask that their vassals tone it down a bit.

As it is Philip I and not Philip II, that will mean damn little, I'm afraid. This isn't the era of badass French Kings, it is the era of French Kings who politely clear their throats and ask that their vassals tone it down a bit.

Well, one should not underestimate Philippe I. The man is only fourteen but Philippe II was hardly the first Capetian to consolidate royal power, he was just one of the most effective at it. Philippe I had one of the longest reign of any kings in France and the regency is just about to end. He behaved very aggressively towards his immediate neighbours and took Vermandois nearly immediately, which had been a pain for the counts of Paris/Kings of Franks for nearly a century. He basically said 'screw you' to the Pope and the bishops because he felt like having a new wife. He lived under anathema for ten years and that doesn't seem to have bothered him overmuch. He managed to defeat William the Conqueror and snatch part of the Vexin from Norman lords. He played William's sons masterfully against one another and used the fact that a lot of his lords had left for the First Crusade and needed money to acquire even more land for the royal demesne. Here, he can't play Robert Curthose against William Rufus on account of them being dead, but even that young he should be able to manipulate a lot of players. If anything, Philippe I is the first of the badass Capetian kings, followed by his equally competent son Louis VI. Don't let the nickname 'the Fat' fool you. The weak one was Louis VII and he had a bit in common with the future John Lackland: last son and destined to be a monk (didn't prevent him from torching a church with people in it). He only acceded to the throne because his elder brother died in a truly freakish accident: while riding a horse in Paris, he came across a pig, tripped and died from the fall. So, Philippe I, in addition to the cool name, was not one to cough politely at the feudal lords who had dominated the early Capetians. Must be the infusion of Kievan blood from his mother. So it all comes back to the Norsemen, eventually ! :extremelyhappy:

What can I say? Just finished, and really nice story.

And I was also looking forward to the death of William of Evreux for some reason. (And also not sure if the next William won't be worse anyway.)

Just to confirm, this is merely a temporary hiatus, and there will be more Tyrants to come in the very near future.

If you haven't voted for this - and the many other worthy Medieval-based TLs of 2016 - in the Tutledoves yet, you can still do so here.

Just catched up and I must say - What the Fuck?! SO the new king of england tortured and murdered his own son?! And the names..... Oh fck. Awesome story.

Wow. Just caught up, and I've got to say, I'm a touch sorry to see poor Odo go...

At least the people of the future shall hear tales of the William War.

Wow. Just caught up, and I've got to say, I'm a touch sorry to see poor Odo go...

At least the people of the future shall hear tales of the William War.

I know, I really liked Odo too. I really wanted to see that fucking tapestry. Maybe Odo will be declared innocent??? Eh, I really don't believe that. It'd be great though.

This is so well written. And so absolutely English.

I recognize I'm a touch late on this, but I just wanted to congratulate you, Mazda, on a very well deserved turtledove. I'm excited by this promise of new updates as well.