A Jewish Homeland in Alaska

Yeah, but *everything* would be better than holocaust.

Can't really argue with that...

As for Alaska I think we need to look at this in the short term, rather then long term. From 1932-1945 the Jews will have a place to live, so less are around to die, after that why do they have to remain in Alaska? Wouldn't they move down to America proper?

I do not see the US giving away Alaska, and I also do not see millions of people living up there. Maybe they all move to California...

Rockingham

Banned
Eritrea, for one, would be more realistic and probably a lot more prosperous. Sadly, none of the powers considered the idea.

Usually, the OTL "alternative Zion plans" were just European schemes to dump the Jews on some Odin-forsaken piece-of-crap island/desert/icebox. Places like Madagascar, Antarctica, the Russian Far-East, northeastern Manchuria, etc. Places no one wants to live. Alaska isn't that much better; probably worse, actually, than some OTL propositions.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were accusing the poster of this thread of anti-semitism.:eek:My mistake;)

Hapsburg

Banned
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were accusing the poster of this thread of anti-semitism.:eek:My mistake;)
I didn't say anything to him. Ninebucks did.
I was just answering for him because I'm a pompous windbag.:D

Given a choice between the holocost and a large jewish population
in Alaska Id chose Alaska
Well, duh. Anywhere's better than the holocaust. Even an icy hellhole like Alaska.

Eritrea? That place is barely better than the other places you suggested. And it doesn't even have the gold and oil of Alaska.
Barely better. But still better. And gold and oil don't mean shit if you don't have water and adequate food. At least Eritrea can support a lot of different crops year-round.

I dont see how living in Alaska with its natural reasources, large forests access to see trade and large amount of land is worse than being stuck in a country where your surrounded by religious
fundamentalists who are hell bound on killing you and your children .
Well, Alaska is pretty much frozen. It's cold. Cold as freaking Niflheim.

Sure it has a lot of sea access, mineral resources, and forests, but much of the harbours are frozen over for much of the year, inhibiting sealane trade for quite a bit of time. The biting cold means not a lot of people will want to go there to deliver supplies, and so the most important resources, food and water, will be on short supply.
Now, during the warmer months, they can fish. Maybe even go ice-fishing during the autumn. And they could eat the snow for water, if necessary. But other than that, there's not going to be much up there to live off of.

Hell, the Madagascar plan would have been better.

Last edited:

HueyLong

Banned
The Alaska Panhandle is actually just a little chillier than Oregon. It could be the site of a settlement of Jews.

Even an icy hellhole like Alaska. *snip* *Shorted for lenght*

Well, Alaska is pretty much frozen. It's cold. Cold as freaking Niflheim.

I live in this icy hellhole:mad: It's not as bad as you say. Sure winter is bad, but even in the 1930s we had farmers up here. Still do but its hard to get land from the feds. It is possible to feed a lot of people up here. The only reason there are not a lot of people up here is the feds own something like 80% of the land so You can't own it/build on it. Heck we got state parks bigger then some states. All in all Alaska wouldn't have been that bad of an idea. Its only cold in winter and only above the Artic circle.:D

Glen

The Alaska Panhandle is actually just a little chillier than Oregon. It could be the site of a settlement of Jews.

That seems to be the area the Ickles plan contemplated.

What I don't really get a sense of is what sort of status Jews moved there would have.

Alaska was US territory, and by the laws of the times, people in US territories I believe were treated more or less the same way as people living in the actual US (sans federal taxes and a vote in federal elections). So, what would be stopping these refugees from eventually moving to other parts of the Union? Or would it be set up like some sort of internment camps??:eek: Very confused on the details of this thing.

Anyhow, it would be interesting if there were a Jewish majority Alaska in the US, wouldn't it?

Glen

That seems to be the area the Ickles plan contemplated.

What I don't really get a sense of is what sort of status Jews moved there would have.

Alaska was US territory, and by the laws of the times, people in US territories I believe were treated more or less the same way as people living in the actual US (sans federal taxes and a vote in federal elections). So, what would be stopping these refugees from eventually moving to other parts of the Union? Or would it be set up like some sort of internment camps??:eek: Very confused on the details of this thing.

Anyhow, it would be interesting if there were a Jewish majority Alaska in the US, wouldn't it?

Someone should make a timeline of this.

Any takers?