A House Divided Can Stand Alone: A TL

Have you considered tactical/strategic maps, of battlefields and movements within? It'd be cool to see and would clarify a lot.

The Dude

Banned
Have you considered tactical/strategic maps, of battlefields and movements within? It'd be cool to see and would clarify a lot.
I have, but there's one problem:

I have absolutely no idea how to make them or what they'd look like.
Also, there might be a few difficulties with finding a map of the forests behind Verdun.

Also, there might be a few difficulties with finding a map of the forests behind Verdun.

Shouldn't be too hard; all you need is maps and then place arrows and labels on them in Paint. Perhaps you can experiment and if it doesn't work out, forget I said anything.

So my plan for the Ottomans conquering all of Africa and Asia with their Byzantine zeppelins won't go over well?

Drat!

I don't really like the Ottomans in the 1800s and 1900s, so no. I do like a Kemalist Turkey though.

Try Google Earth. Some things have changed, but it should give you a sense of the terrain in question, take a screen shot and edit in what you want.

DISCLAIMER: I have not actually tried this, so no idea how well it would come out.

I'm a bit late, but I Great Update.

Still an edging stalemate, I see. Perhaps in a 'reversal' of history, The CSA is the one forced out of Isolation, (and 'single handedly wins the War':rolleyes:)...
Or I could shut my mouth and enjoy where you're taking this story.

Any Updates on Roosevelt and Lawrence?

The Dude

Banned
I don't really like the Ottomans in the 1800s and 1900s, so no. I do like a Kemalist Turkey though.

Try Google Earth. Some things have changed, but it should give you a sense of the terrain in question, take a screen shot and edit in what you want.

DISCLAIMER: I have not actually tried this, so no idea how well it would come out.
Never been a fan of the late-period Ottomans myself. They're just wanked so much on this board.....

And Kemalist Turkey.... Don't hold out any hope for it. I think you'll like what I have planned, though.

As for the Google Earth thing:
1. I don't know how to take screenshots,
2. It probably wouldn't work anyways. :p

1. Can't help you.
2. If knew how to make screen shots I don't see why not.

Never been a fan of the late-period Ottomans myself. They're just wanked so much on this board.....

For me that's not that much of a problem, it's more that they (Especially after 1880 or so) really don't deserve to be wanked. By that point they where a corrupt and backward state that couldn't really even exercise authority over it's own land, much less gain any more.

I actually do like to see a large Ottoman empire, but only really in the 1500s and 1600s, not the 20th Century.

And Kemalist Turkey.... Don't hold out any hope for it. I think you'll like what I have planned, though.

If you're using a PC, find a good shot, press 'print screen', open up Paint and paste it in.

The Dude

Banned
Odessa and Salonika

In late July, when the weather was warm and Ukraine's fields were full of wheat, the Central Powers thought it was the perfect opportunity to make a charge towards the Black Sea port of Odessa. This way, they could aid the Ottomans in their Caucasian campaign and take out the puppet government the Russians had established in Moldavia at the same time. On July 25th, forces from Austria-Hungary, Romania, and Germany stormed across the Prut River. They quickly captured the Moldavian ad-hoc capitol in Chisinau and began advancing on Russian territory. As Central Powers forces advanced further and further on Odessa, the Russians established a defensive line on the Dneister River. Though it managed to stop the combined onslaught, it couldn't hold out for long. Therefore, Russia asked her allies for help while she was still mobilizing her industry for war.

Great Britain and France, eager to have a place to test out plans they had for a later campaign, agreed. They decided to land armies in the Greek port of Salonika. From there, they could attack towards Macedonia and cover their Serbian allies as they retreated from the Austro-Hungarians into Albania, as well as attack into Bulgaria and cut off the Ottomans from their German allies, and thus most of their industrial base. The attack into Bulgaria would also distract Central Powers forces from Odessa. It was perfect; one action to accomplish three goals. The forces for the Campaign mainly came from the colonies; there were Indochinese soldiers, soldiers from French Africa, Indians, South Africans, Malayans, and, of course, Greeks, Serbs, and Albanians. One force of around 200,000 soldiers, most of them French, was to push into Macedonia as a distraction allowing the Serbs to escape through Albania, where they would be protected by the Royal Navy from prowling Italian and Austro-Hungarian ships. While that was happening, 500,000 soldiers, most of them from the British Empire, would move Northeast, cutting Bulgaria in two. The important Black Sea port of Varna would be the ultimate goal.

The attack was set to commence on August 7th. Its success, or lack thereof, was to decide whether or not the planned offensive in the Dardanelles would go forward or not. It also held in its hands the fate of thousands of innocent Serbian civilians, many of whom had died of disease, malnutrition, or just plain weariness already. Another important thing about Salonika was its affirmation of a new strategy; one that involved taking out the "smaller powers" first, like Bulgaria, before moving on to the bigger ones, allowing the Allies to rest their forces for the planned offensives of 1915. Just as the war had started in the Balkans, a good deal of the war would be fought in the Balkans. The Salonika Offensive saw participation from nearly every major power of the war; Britain, France, Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Greece, the Ottomans, and Russia were all involved in some way. Truly, this was a global battle; fitting for a World War such as this.

Yes, Update.
Ah, The Balkans...Will you not lead to future conflict? ^^

Two Qs:
Wait, there's a special neutral country you seem to have ignored...one most important to a majority of TLs...

...What are Swiss reactions to the War? Essentially OTL's I assume.

And since the war started earlier, will The Spanish Lady pimp herself to the world earlier?

The Dude

Banned
Yes, Update.
Ah, The Balkans...Will you not lead to future conflict? ^^

Two Qs:
Wait, there's a special neutral country you seem to have ignored...one most important to a majority of TLs...

...What are Swiss reactions to the War? Essentially OTL's I assume.

And since the war started earlier, will The Spanish Lady pimp herself to the world earlier?
Switzerland wouldn't be different at all, really.

And I don't know who The Spanish Lady is.....

Furthermore, I probably don't want to.
:p

Great update! You've truly made an interesting war by moving it just a little earlier. I can't wait to see what happens next!

The Dude

Banned
The Great Influence?
The Great Pandemic of 1918?
It's the Spanish Flu!
That's not until 1918. As the war may well be over by then, it is entirely possible that it is, if not averted entirely, at least lessened.

Great update! You've truly made an interesting war by moving it just a little earlier. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Thanks. Glad I've finally managed to add in a few butterflies.....
This plan would rely on pushing large numbers of troops through very rough terrain...
Precisely. Similar terrain to Gallipoli, in fact, which would make it perfect for planning future issues.
Also, keep in mind that many German/Austro-Hungarian/Romanian/Bulgarian forces are distracted by Russia, while the Ottomans are busy in the Caucasus and Mesopotamia.
Also, a viewpoint from say, an Indian soldier of British auxiliaries or French Algerian would be interesting.
Perhaps it would be. It wouldn't last very long, probably only till the end of the campaign, but it would be interesting seeing the perspective of people who are not exactly fighting for their country. I'm leaning towards either Indian or French Indochinese at this point. Probably Indian, though I'll definitely try to include the Indochinese in at some point.