A History of the Pontic Empire

A History of the Pontic Empire - A Pontus/Roman TL

Chapter One - The Ascension of Mithridates the Great

When Mithridates VI ascended the throne in 120 BC, his kingdom was almost unrecognizable from the empire he left when he died. A small but prosperous kingdom on the shore of the Black sea, it was one of the number of small kingdoms in Anatolia, alongside states like Bithynia and Cappadocia. However, in recent years, the political landscape in Anatolia had changed quite rapidly. In 133 BC, King Attalus of Pergamon had left his kingdom to the Roman Republic, allowing them to gain a foothold in Asia Minor. The Romans were insistent on keeping a balance of power in the region, and for this reason, Mithridates’ father, who was also named Mithridates, was content with building up influence in other kingdoms rather than expanding into them. This way, he was able to keep good relations relatively good with the Romans. However, his reign came to an abrupt end when he was assassinated by his wife in 120 BC, leaving the throne to his son Mithridates.

However, it was not a simple accession for Mithridates. His mother had just killed his father, and based on their family history there was a good chance that she was trying to kill him as well. After a failed assassination attempt, he decided to leave Sinope. For now, this left the reins of power in his mother’s hands, who ruled through Mithridates’ younger brother. His 5 years away from Sinope were largely spent touring Pontus and Asia Minor, learning more about the state of the world, as well as building up support in the interior of his Kingdom. He learned a number of valuable lessons in this time, as well as a fair bit about the political situation of the world. His experiences in his time, which included seeing first-hand the effects of the rapaciousness of Roman taxation, as well as his own personal humiliation of the Roman confiscation of Phrygia from Pontus, which he protested about to the Roman governor of Asia in person, left him distrustful of Romans.

Mithridates returned to Sinope in the summer of 115 BC at the age of 19. He was expecting at least a small civil war, but his mother was not a very popular ruler, alienated the court and the Greek elites of Sinope, and she never had much loyalty amongst the barons of Inner Pontus at any rate. As soon as he took power, he had her executed, along with his younger brother, the puppet king. Although like his father, he used Sinope as the official capital for now, Mithridates himself preferred to spend his time and rule his kingdom from the old capital of Amasya on the river Halys.

The young king appeared to have everything going for him. He was the undisputed ruler of a relatively rich, if not the largest, kingdom. He himself had many personal qualities, such as his intelligence, and his physical prowess. His travels had also given him an insight into the world, one that would prove valuable in later years. One of the impressions he got from his travels in his kingdom was that its true strength was in the interior. The Greeks were harder to rule compared to the peoples of the interior, who accepted Mithridates right to rule without any question, while the Greeks often wanted concessions and such from the king. Mithridates was often known to be uncomfortable with the difficulties of ruling Greeks some of the time, but still appreciated the taxes that the Greeks brought to his coffers, as well as the technical expertise that some Greeks brought.

One of the first policies upon ascending the throne was the improvement of the army. The Pontic army was mainly based around a Phalanx core, supplemented by mercenaries mainly from Galatia and the Pontic steppe at the Northern side of the Black sea. Mithridates however, had read of how the phalanx could be flanked and crushed by more flexible forces, especially the Romans. He identified the Romans as a big threat even before he started ruling properly, so he began reforming the army so they could better face the forces of Rome. Instead of having the army based around the Phalanx, he used the relatively new model of infantry, based around the heavy peltasts. The Thoratikai were armored in chain mail, armed with short swords, and used heavy javelins before the main melee, similar to the Romans. The phalanxes were kept around, but they did not dominate the army as before, and were mainly used in their old role as the “anvil”, which held enemy forces while more maneuverable forces flanked them. Mithridates kept recruiting Galatian mercenaries to serve as medium infantry, and Sarmatians to serve as cavalry, but also looked to other sources of troops, recruiting cavalry from Cappadocia, Archers from Crete, and Skirmishers from Cilicia. However, with semi-unfriendly governments in each of these places, Mithridates’ access to troops from these areas was threatened.

Pontus’ new army would receive its first test in Taurica, when the Greek cities of the region appealed to Mithridates to protect them from Scythian aggression. In a previous Pontic attempt to conquer the Bosporan kingdom, one of the articles in the treaty that was made after the end of the war allowed the Bosporans to call on the Kingdom of Pontus if help was needed. Mithridates was now faced with a brilliant opportunity, to not only seize a rich land, but to be welcomed as a liberator whilst doing it. So in 108bc, he dispatched an army 30,000 to the Crimea with his general, Archelaus, and hoped that the reforms will have made the Pontic army into a force to be reckoned with.

Well, hopefully I can stick at this longer then I did my last TL. As always, comments, suggestions, praise, death threats are all welcomed. Though the last one may get you in trouble with the mods...

Last edited:
Very nice thus far, your writing style is exactly the type I like. I don't see the divergence yet; will he be more successful in the Crimea? Or is it the army reforms?

And so you finally decided to post it at last! Amazing start to what I see will be an amazing timeline though I shouldn't worry about the quality writing since you always impress me! :D

EDIT: Do not abandon this or else puppies will die.

Looks good. Once again my idiocy in the period of Pre-1800 history rears its ugly hard. As far as Im concerned, this seems good.

Crimea is a tad anachronistic. Taurica sounds a bit better for the era.

Otherwise, great. Glad the help I gave you a while ago was put to good use and I wish you many good tidings.

Crimea is a tad anachronistic. Taurica sounds a bit better for the era.

Otherwise, great. Glad the help I gave you a while ago was put to good use and I wish you many good tidings.
I had trouble with the term Crimea, but I didn't want to keep using Bosporan. I'll take your suggestion on board, and once again, thanks for the help before.

I had trouble with the term Crimea, but I didn't want to keep using Bosporan. I'll take your suggestion on board, and once again, thanks for the help before.

You also have to mindful that the Taurican interior is inhabited by a people called the Tauri. They are distinct from The Sarmatians that inhabit Kherson and the western Ukraine, and caused much trouble for the coastal Greeks. If you want to add a bit of style into the writing, 'Cimmeria' is another ancient word for it.

Chapter 2 - Conquest of the Barbarians of Taurica

Archelaus arrived in Chersonesos and immediately set to the task of pacifying the local tribes around Chersonesos itself. This task was achieved fairly easily, as the tribes around the Greek cities had largely been weakened, but the big challenge still lay in the interior. After easily beating one of the larger tribes, a Scythian chieftain named Idanthyrsus took it upon himself to fight against the Pontic threat, which looked set to permanently end the power of the Scythian and Taurican tribes in Taurica.

The challenge now would be bringing this new confederation of the Scythians and their Taurican subjects who were threatening the Greeks into open battle. This promised to be a hard campaign, as the Scythians had a well-deserved reputation for being fierce warriors, though in recent centuries, their star had been in decline as outside Taurica, their primacy amongst the steppe nomads had been lost to the Sarmatians, some of whom were serving in the Pontic army. The Bosporans themselves had lost the bulk of their army in an earlier battle with the Scythians, and thus only had enough troops for garrison duties. The Pontic army was more or less on its own, with the exception of supplies brought to them by their Bosporan allies.

The Pontic army wasted no time in seeking out the Scythian warriors.The first actual contact between the Pontic army and the Scythian army was a relatively small skirmish. A group of Pontic scouts had stumbled across some Scythian foragers, and beat them resoundingly. After a number of other skirmishes were also won by the Pontic force, the Scythian chieftain, Idanthyrsus, decided to keep his forces back, whilst having the local Tauricans harass the Pontic armies supply lines. He also decided only to strike where the Pontic army was absent, mimicking the tactics of the famous Roman consul Fabius Maximus. After a year and a half of chasing armies, pillaging and skirmishes, Archelaus finally forced the Scythians into a pitched battle.

The battle that followed was a great testament to the reforms that the Pontic army had undergone. Archelaus had managed to maneuverer the Scythians into a very favorable position for him. The Scythians were surrounded by a river on 3 sides, and were now boxed in by the Pontic army. Any attempt to actually cross the river would only lead to the Pontic archers shooting them as they swam away, and so the Scythians decided to try their luck and break through the Pontic lines. Archelaus had predicted that this was exactly what the Scythians would do, and his troops were already well prepared to take the Scythian charge. The javelins of the Thoratikai killed a great many of the Scythians as their charged, and weakened the force of the charge itself. Due to the lack of room for maneuverer for cavalry, the battle was largely an infantry duel, but the superior training and equipment of the Pontic army showed, and by the evening, the remnants of the Scythian army were swimming across the river for their lives.

The battle had been an enormous victory for the Pontic army, with the Scythians losing a huge number of their warriors, as well as their chief, compared to Pontic losses of no more than three thousand. Now that the victory had been won, Mithridates could enjoy the fruits of it, as Scythian and Taurican power had been permanently broken, and the Greeks in the coastal cities were extremely grateful. He had not just gained an ally, he had gained a very valuable province, as the Bosporan king, Paerisades, had died in 107 BC, and as he had left his kingdom to Pontus, control of the kingdom passed straight to Mithridates. This turn of events had gone better than Mithridates’ wildest dreams, and he undertook a tour of his new province in the summer of 106 BC, during which he was received well by the population of Taurica, increasingly referred to by them by the title of Soter, which meant Saviour in Greek, by them.

I don't know enough about Pontus to contribute too much to the debate, but I'm watching this TL with interest. :)

Excellent update Nassir. Now I wonder where will Mithridates move his attention towards next? :D

Probably towards securing his naval power in the Black Sea. I would expect him to launch a campaign against pirates quite soon. After that, he'll have to secure his power in eastern Anatolia. Finally, after he's done that, he'll be close to prepared to face the Romans.

Probably towards securing his naval power in the Black Sea. I would expect him to launch a campaign against pirates quite soon. After that, he'll have to secure his power in eastern Anatolia. Finally, after he's done that, he'll be close to prepared to face the Romans.

I don't think there was much of a significant pirate presence in the Black Sea. I know that many of the pirates were based in Cilicia.

I don't think there was much of a significant pirate presence in the Black Sea. I know that many of the pirates were based in Cilicia.

The Black sea pirate were not nearly as powerful as the Cilician or Illyrian pirates, but they were a danger nevertheless. They mostly operated out of ports on the Eastern shore, well out of reach of any dangerous land armies like the Romans or Pontus.

This is a good start, though I have to say your descriptions of battles and tactics seem to owe a great deal to Rome Total War. :p

One more very minor quibble- the capital should be Amaseia, not Amasya, which is the Turkish spelling of the old name.

I look forward with interest to your next chapter. Mithridates is doing very well so far, not ASB given his OTL levels of success, but I think it's inevitable that the Romans will intervene sooner rather than later, to attempt to smack him down...

Good job!

The Black sea pirate were not nearly as powerful as the Cilician or Illyrian pirates, but they were a danger nevertheless. They mostly operated out of ports on the Eastern shore, well out of reach of any dangerous land armies like the Romans or Pontus.

I was never aware of a pirate presence in the Black Sea. Shows how much I know about this time period. Heh.