A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

There will be quite a bit about the navy. It will face some neglect - I suspect the next president will not give it much mind. However the United States will have different priorities and responsibilities and it will have some unexpected champions...

80c087e7-da4b-48be-a1e1-6f69baacdb18-A41358_141.jpg

And hopefully one of them might get a more fightin' namesake...

uss-tx1a.jpg

The USS Joseph Hooker on her maiden cruse before heading to Corea. Universally known as the booziest ship in the United States Navy ;):biggrin:

Had to post to once again express my love of this timeline after reading it from start to finish for the second time! This inspired me to get a copy of the Personal and Military History of Phillip Kearney and Kearney the Magnificent

When is the next post due as I need my fix?

Had to post to once again express my love of this timeline after reading it from start to finish for the second time! This inspired me to get a copy of the Personal and Military History of Phillip Kearney and Kearney the Magnificent

When is the next post due as I need my fix?
Should have one or two chapters for this weekend - ending the Abyssinian Campaign and looking at the 1868 election.

Absolutely amazing timeline so far, TheKnightIrish! Truly great writing, creativity, and plausibility, especially with the alternate Civil War and Reconstruction! I can’t wait to see where you take us next in Abbyssinia and beyond! When is the next update going to be posted?

Just wanted to reiterate the what's already been mentioned above. I absolutely love this timeline so far, especially with respect to Imperial Mexico and the 13th Cavalry.

Starting new job in West London on 11th November. Hopefully I will have somewhere to live and the internet before then so I can get some updates in!

Goodbye forever to BIRMINGHAM (Thats in England not Alabama you ruddy colonials!).

Hello MIDDLESEX (Thats a county in England not Virginia or New Jersey or Massachusetts or Connecticut - don't start that again!).

FYI, there is also a Manchester, WA as well. I used to live on the border of that. It has a whopping population of of almost 5,500. :biggrin:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester,_Washington

Last edited:
Yes, there are number of people who should

Yes, there are number of people who should know better who suddenly declaim "Lincoln was XXX" when the reality is he was as much the supreme pragmatist of his century as FDR was of his...

There are reasons both men were elected, and re-elected. They were extraordinarly good at their chosen professions, and masters of politics. Anyone who thinks otherwise, or buys the "country bumpkin" meme is a fool.

The "racist" quotes, however, are routinely gleaned from the 1850s speeches; the dates and the circumstances are generally elided by the "Lincoln was a fraud" types.

Best,

Election speeches at that. William Loyd Garrison could make hardcore abolitionist statements in his newspaper because he wasn't running for anything. If Lincoln made the same statements he wouldn't have been elected dog catcher. If Garrison ran for anything he would have been killed in the election because of his statements. It is hard to separate "Lincoln the politician" from "Lincoln the man". He certainly was anti-slavery most of his life.

Election speeches at that. William Loyd Garrison could make hardcore abolitionist statements in his newspaper because he wasn't running for anything. If Lincoln made the same statements he wouldn't have been elected dog catcher. If Garrison ran for anything he would have been killed in the election because of his statements. It is hard to separate "Lincoln the politician" from "Lincoln the man". He certainly was anti-slavery most of his life.
Why are you responding to a 4 year old post by a guy whose been banned for nearly as long?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Y'all do realize you are picking a fight with someone whose been banned for pushing three years, for a post that's pushing four years old?

QUOTE="TheKnightIrish, post: 6012509, member: 32465"]
Chapter Twenty Three
The Hunter is Himself Trapped
Part II

<snip>

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Lincoln faced an angry and divided cabinet. Chase, and Hamlin (though not technically part of the cabinet), were both calling upon the President to authorise the execution of 36 rebel prisoners if the news from Butler proved true. Bates and Blair could not believe even Jeff Davis would be foolish enough to authorise the execution of a Union General…
[/QUOTE]

I'm just getting back to this excellent timeline, so I may have mentioned this before. Hannibal Hamlin was a committed opponent of capital punishment, so I suggest this part be adjusted.

QUOTE="TheKnightIrish, post: 6012509, member: 32465"]
Chapter Twenty Three
The Hunter is Himself Trapped
Part II

<snip>

From “The Rivals – Lincoln and his Cabinet” by Amelia Doggett
Grosvenor 2008

“Lincoln faced an angry and divided cabinet. Chase, and Hamlin (though not technically part of the cabinet), were both calling upon the President to authorise the execution of 36 rebel prisoners if the news from Butler proved true. Bates and Blair could not believe even Jeff Davis would be foolish enough to authorise the execution of a Union General…

I'm just getting back to this excellent timeline, so I may have mentioned this before. Hannibal Hamlin was a committed opponent of capital punishment, so I suggest this part be adjusted.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I will review this. His view might have changed now he has had to kill to defend himself though!