A Different Russia

Darkest

Banned
Russian history is a favorite of mine as well, and it looks like you are going to be continuing this soon, so I'll give this timeline a bump. I like it!

lets see more of this. Id like to see a continuation of this timeline into the 20th century. Very interesting.

The Conference of Ulms: 1850

“Order! I said ORDER!” bellowed Kaiser Wilhelm. The entire hall was in a ruckus. Tsar Constantine was off in a corner engaged in heated debate with Palmerston. Louis Napoleon was napping, his head down on the table, while the Sardinian envoy, Count Cavour, impatiently drummed his fingers. The Austrian representative was frantically conferring with his multitude of advisors. Wilhelm inwardly scoffed at him- the young Hapsburg seemed bright enough, but was completely unprepared for the serious negotiations to follow. Now Metternich, that man had been a true statesman. His country would sorely miss him today… Wilhelm’s musings were brought to a halt as the table of representatives convened.

“Now, we have many pressing matters to discuss, but it should be no secret to anyone here where the main issue lies,” Wilhelm started.

“For the benefit of our, shall we say, junior Austrian colleague, let it be clear that we refer to the various independence movements in his domains that have still not been adequately dealt with.” said Constantine, with a distinctive smirk.

Wilhelm grimaced. “Though you put it forth with your typical lack of subtlety, you are correct, Tsar. The Italians, Hungarians, and now the Romanians have all established de facto independence from Vienna. Obviously, these states cannot be allowed to continue in some shadowy quasi-legitimate status. Either they must be reconquered and placed back under the control of the Hapsburgs, or they must be accepted as legitimate nations. I have no stake in the Italian matter, so you all have elected me as moderator of this summit. I would invite our Sardinian-Piedmontese representative to give us his countries stance first.”

The small, olive skinned man stood up and cleared his throat. “It is the will of King Emmanuel that I make it clear the Milanese and Lombard rebels have applied for, and received, protectorship status within Sardinia-Piedmont. Any attempt to reclaim these areas and remove them from their rightful Italian union will be regarded as a declaration of war.” The Austrian representative exploded out of his seat in a fit of fury. Before he could vent his feelings upon Cavour, Wilhelm intervened.

“Easy, easy now, calm down. Let us look at this dispassionately. I would ask each representative to state their countries position on this development in turn. Tsar, you may begin.”

Constantine did not even bother to rise from his seat or hide his bored expression. “I defer to the wisdom of those nations who have more experience dealing with Italians. My domains are far away, and regardless of what happens, Russia will not intervene on either side, specifically regarding Northern Italy.”

Palmerston was next. “It is no secret I do not look fondly upon Austria’s continued possession of Italian possessions. It is the position both of myself and her majesty that a national people must be able to decide their own fate, and are not to be lumped into some hidebound monolith that does not respect their basic rights. I vote most strenuously to accept the Sardinian claims as legitimate.”

The Austrian representative could not hid his look of alarm. He had obviously been counting on international support for reclamation of Northern Italy by the Hapsburgs.

The newly crowned emperor of France put the final nail in the Austrian coffin with three simple words: “I support Sardinia.” Wilhelm was not surprised. Austria and France had battled too often for too many years over continental supremacy for Louis to resist the opportunity to twist the knife in the wound.

The Austrian envoy fell back into his seat, looking like a man who had just witnessed his own death. He full well knew Louis’ words signaled that he would help Sardinia militarily against Austria, giving Sardinia a decisive edge. Wilhelm felt a measure of pity for the young man, so obviously overmatched, and unready for the pressures placed on him. What did the youngster expect though? It made better sense for everyone involved to simply let the Italians control their own business. This was not 1819- nationalism could not be so simply thrust under the carpet, especially with a people as passionate about, well, everything as Italians. Anyway, he had to keep this conference moving while everyone was still feeling diplomatic.

“The next groups to be addressed are the Eastern subjects of Austria. The Hungarians and Romanians have declared themselves as independent states. I must break from my position of impartiality to state my own nation’s preference in the Hungarian issue. Should Hungary and Romania be allowed independence, they will only unbalance the delicate power structure the Great Powers have worked so hard to achieve in the Balkans. Regardless of the outcome of this conference, I am sure Austria will attempt to conquer their rebellious subjects. If the Great Powers claim neutrality, Hungary and the Romanians will be forced to appeal to either the Ottomans- unthinkable, I know, but war makes strange bedfellows- or strike a side deal with a Great Power, most likely Russia. Don’t look so offended Constantine, you know it’s true. Therefore, it is for the greater good that we support Austria’s reclamation of Hungary and Romania. Prussia lends its official support to Austria.” The Austrian representative shot Wilhelm a look of gratefulness.

Cavour chimed in: “Sardinia-Piedmont offers its services in Hungary, in exchange for permanent Austrian renouncement of any and all claims in Italy.” The Austrian envoy quickly nodded his agreement.

The entire table turned to look at Louis-Napoleon, next in turn to speak. Slowly, but with great forcefulness, he gave his stance. “France is to busy to start a war on the other side of Europe. I have many internal affairs that are far more pressing. France needed no help in 1848; she will give none now.”
Tsar Constantine, long silent, finally revealed what he had been turning over in his head during the entire conference. With a thin smile on his lips, he spoke. “Russia has an unique role in these Eastern proceedings. It is the feeling of many in the motherland that Russia has a duty to protect its Slavic brothers against the rapacious advances of their oppressors.”

Wilhelm rolled his eyes. Yes, the Russians just loved to protect those Ukrainians and Poles. Why sometimes, they just had to conquer them to save them from the real bad guys. Despite his cynicism, Wilhelm recalled that reports of revolts in Russian territories had been growing less and less. It seemed the Russians had finally figured out how to walk the fine line between stability and paranoia.

Constantine continued. “Inasmuch, I feel compelled by honor to inform you, my peers, that Russia is taking the Romanians from the Hapsburgs under its protective wing. Though I know this must mightily inflame you all, it is my position. Romania will be a protectorate of Russia; this is the only way to insure their safety. In exchange for recognition of this fact, Russia offers its services in the Hungarian business.”

Palmerston slammed his hand down on the table, spilling papers and quills everywhere. “This is preposterous! You cannot simply claim an entire country whenever you feel like it!”

Constantine smiled sweetly at the enraged, beet red Englishman. “I just did.”

“It is the official position of Her Majesty that any attempts to subjugate the Romanians will be regarded as a declaration of war!” Wilhelm and the Austrian quickly added that they would also declare war on Russia should the land grab commence.

“So be it!”

The conference erupted into twenty different shouting matches, with the entourages of all the different parties yelling angrily at one another. Wilhelm, scowling mightily, stormed out. It had all started so promisingly. The Italian situation had been resolved quickly and efficiently, and the eastern rebels would have too if it weren’t for Russia’s damnable ambition. The world would soon find out whether Russia’s guns matched up to its talk.

Comments would really be appreciated, this is the only TL I've ever done

Last edited:

Glen

srv fan said:
Industrial Russia- 1825-1848: Beginnings

This TL assumes some knowledge of Russian history. Wikipedia has a pretty good Russian history section if some of the names and terms are unfamiliar. Also, if I simply list an event with no description, assume it follows OTL.

POD 1825- Grand Duke Constantine does not marry a non-royal Polish woman, and inasmuch is eligible to receive the office of Tsar. Thus, when Tsar Alexander I dies on schedule in 1825, his nomination of Constantine as Tsar is accepted. A disappointed Nicholas I settles in for a life of hunting and dancing. Constantine is surprisingly liberal, at least compared to the typical Russian leader. He has spent much of his life in Poland, which at the time has one of the most advanced, progressive constitutions in Europe. Constantine was devoted to this Polish state, and very much shaped by his experiences there. There is no Decembrist Revolution, as the immediate cause for this was an attempt to place the more-liberal Constantine on the throne rather than the old-school Nicholas. Thus, the emerging Russian intelligentsia and modernizers found in the Decembrist Movement are not crushed and forever branded as enemies of the state. In the future, such forward-thinking people will have much more influence than in OTL.

1820’s- Speransky begins his immense codification and reorganization of the jumbled Russian law system. Under the pressure of Constantine, the new Russian system of law modeled after the Polish constitution contains more economic and governmental reform. In addition to removing the old feudal customs of law, it grants many new rights to serfs and begins the long process of breaking the power of the landed gentry in Russia. Serfs now have a shorter work week, more freedom of movement, the power to buy themselves out of serf status, and equal status under law. It also establishes an elected advising council for the Tsar, the Duma (I don’t speak Russian, if this is the wrong term, feel free to correct me). However, Constantine does not really give any heed to the Duma, alternately ignoring, dissolving, and then reforming the council, depending on his mood at the moment. (As much as I would like Russia to have some semblance of democracy, it is just not realistic if there is no middle class clamoring for rights. Russia is not getting democracy until it gets industry, and a class actually capable of leaning on a Tsar and making him give up some power).

1826-1828- War with Persia over Georgia. Russia wins handily, with General Ivan Paskevich becoming a national hero for his efforts. The Treaty of Turkmanchai grants Russia parts of Armenia including Erivan, naval rights on the Caspian Sea, commercial concessions, and an indemnity.

1828- War with the Ottoman Empire over the Greek Independence Movement. Russia, along with Britain and France, support the right of Greece to independence. Russia defeats Turkey, gaining the mouth of the Danube, some Caucasus territories, and the usual rights and indemnities. Unlike Nicholas, Constantine actively supports the rebellion. Constantine was raised by his grandmother, Catherine the Great, with the goal of creating a Constantinople-centered Orthodox Empire. Though in his adulthood he realizes this is not possible, he still sympathizes with the Orthodox Greek cause.

1830- Revolts in Paris and Belgium, with lesser unrest in Italy and Germany. Constantine, as required by the Treaty of Versailles, sends troops to help quell the uprisings, though he has no strong convictions about the necessity of maintaining the old order. He immediately recognizes the July Monarchy of Louis-Philippe, and opens diplomatic relations with Belgium.

Warsaw Revolt- Polish Nationalists, as in OTL, rise up against Russian rule. However, they lack the support of the peasants and common folk. Constantine has actually been observing the Polish Constitution, giving Poland a lot of say in its own internal affairs, and not forcibly Russifying Polish culture. Lacking a mass of angry peasants (a prerequisite of just about every rebellion), the uprising is easily handled by the local garrison, and does not even make the front page of the St. Petersburg Times.

1832- Due to the much-less successful Polish Revolt, and corresponding lack of a major Russian military presence, the Organic Statute is not put into effect. This law would have made Poland an indivisible part of the Russian Empire, attempted to erase the independent Polish culture, and appointed an authoritarian military governor. Poland keeps its special status within the Empire.

Mohammad Ali declares Egypt independent. The Ottoman Empire appeals to various European capitols for help. None is received.

1833- Convention of Berlin. Prussia, Russia, and Austria pledge to come to each other’s aid in event of a rebellion.

1830’s- First tendrils of industrialization creep into Russia. Due to Constantine’s reforms, capital labor steadily gains an advantage over manorial. Many landlords begin to go into debt, and the dispossessed serfs migrate into cities looking for work. Small pockets of factories utilizing British-imported steam-machinery grow up around Moscow, St. Petersburg, and the Ural Mountains. A middle class begins to arise in the North, selling their manufactured goods to the still overwhelmingly rural South. In particular, cotton and steel prove key components. However, Russia’s manufactures are not up to British or French quality, and so have little draw in Europe. The main market is still domestic, and increasingly, Central Asia and China.

1837- Victoria ascends to the British throne.

1838- First Anglo-Afghan War. The British, fearful for India in the face of Russian advances towards Central Asia, invade Afghanistan. Start of the “Great Game” between Russian and Britain over Central Asia.

1842-1848- Continued Russian industrialization in all sectors. Landlords continue to plummet, while the urban population rises due to the movement of serfs. Many new factories are built, especially along the Volga River. Western ideas continue to penetrate into Russia.

Growth of the Slavophiles. In the words of Riasonovksy: “a group of romantic intellectuals who formulated a comprehensive and remarkable ideology centered on their belief in the superior nature and supreme historical mission of Orthodoxy and of Russia.” They are quite successful, as Constantine is an enthusiastic supporter. Calls for Slavic unification intensify.

Overview- Russia has a much less autocratic, reactionary ruler than Nicholas. Due to this, serfs are granted many more rights (though still not completely freed) earlier than in OTL. The great Russian legal reform of Speransky is also taken to a further degree in bringing Russia an efficient government (though they are still a long ways from a "good" government). This has caused an earlier decline of the old feudal economic system in Russia, and corresponding earlier growth of other industries. Poland has maintained its special status within the Empire, and its modern liberal constitution is a model for where Russia should head. Most significantly for the rest of Europe, Constantine is much less of a reactionary than Nicholas. Russia in TTL has much less vigor for sending hundreds of thousands of troops to help squash rebellions in Germany, France, Austria, etc.

The next installment will deal with the effects of this different Russia on 1848, and the Crimean War. Please leave some feedback... this is my first real TL and I would love some suggestions for improvement.

Damn fine start, srv fan! The only thing I might suggest is in the beginning, instead of no revolt, have the reactionaries in the nation try to put Nicholas on the throne unsuccessfully. Then the ones getting crushed and branded enemies of the Tsar are the most reactionary of the old order, giving Constantine a stronger hand in his reforms from the onset, and for putting his own people in positions of power.

Glen

Straha said:
The US will be the second fiddle to russia in this TL's 20th century. A democratic nation with all those resources would be so dominant that no other power would emerge....

Don't know about that. It is, however, more of a possibility than other timelines.

Glen

Archdevil said:
Considering the USA, do you have plans for Alaska? I like Russia keeping it.:)

Oh, and nice timeline. I'll follow it.

That would be an interesting twist.

Glen

srv fan said:
For keeping Alaska to make any sense, it would have to provide some role in the Empire. Its not populous enough to be another domestic market for manufactures, and the fur trade there basically has been on the decline since the 1700's. OTOH, Russian New World colonies are inherently cool. Plausibility... coolness...plausibility....coolness.... lol I think i might have to go with reality on this one and sell Alaska.

Thanks!

Simple enough. Have the altered conditions in Russia lead to a few more successful and adventurous former serfs go to Alaska for the fur trade, but finding gold. Then all of a sudden there's a darn good reason for the Russians to keep it...and to jumpstart a trans-siberian railway...

Glen

Straha said:
Perhaps eventually the formantion of the Grand Dominate of Russomerika? The blessed Tsar Ronald Reagan rules for all eternity, enbalmed and kept alive on the golden throne. He rules over a million world and unnumbered souls. His mighty space marines fight for the glory of Russomerika throughout the galaxy.
LONG LIVE THE TSAR! MAY HIS GUIDING LIGHT FOREVER SHINE IN THE INFINITE WARP!!

Why does this cause tears to well up in my eyes and a lump in my throat?:cool:

Glen

Bulgaroktonos said:
Excellent TL here.

Now the challenge comes. Break Russian tradition and get another liberal Czar on the throne after Constantine. You've gone a long way towards making it plausible by having Constantine be only slightly more liberalizing.

Though I think a revolt of some kind is inevitable. And if there is, its going to be a big blow to Russian liberalization, as Russia is big on grand sweeping gestures. The only hope we have there is that the Czar dies early.

I don't know about that. It would be slow and fitful, but it could work without a revolt.

Perhaps hemophilia?

Only if they marry one of Victoria's kids...;)

Glen

srv fan said:
The Conference of Ulms: 1850

“Order! I said ORDER!” bellowed Kaiser Wilhelm. The entire hall was in a ruckus. Tsar Constantine was off in a corner engaged in heated debate with Palmerston. Louis Napoleon was napping, his head down on the table, while the Sardinian envoy, Count Cavour, impatiently drummed his fingers. The Austrian representative was frantically conferring with his multitude of advisors. Wilhelm inwardly scoffed at him- the young Hapsburg seemed bright enough, but was completely unprepared for the serious negotiations to follow. Now Metternich, that man had been a true statesman. His country would sorely miss him today… Wilhelm’s musings were brought to a halt as the table of representatives convened.

“Now, we have many pressing matters to discuss, but it should be no secret to anyone here where the main issue lies,” Wilhelm started.

“For the benefit of our, shall we say, junior Austrian colleague, let it be clear that we refer to the various independence movements in his domains that have still not been adequately dealt with.” said Constantine, with a distinctive smirk.

Wilhelm grimaced. “Though you put it forth with your typical lack of subtlety, you are correct, Tsar. The Italians, Hungarians, and now the Romanians have all established de facto independence from Vienna. Obviously, these states cannot be allowed to continue in some shadowy quasi-legitimate status. Either they must be reconquered and placed back under the control of the Hapsburgs, or they must be accepted as legitimate nations. I have no stake in the Italian matter, so you all have elected me as moderator of this summit. I would invite our Sardinian-Piedmontese representative to give us his countries stance first.”

The small, olive skinned man stood up and cleared his throat. “It is the will of King Emmanuel that I make it clear the Milanese and Lombard rebels have applied for, and received, protectorship status within Sardinia-Piedmont. Any attempt to reclaim these areas and remove them from their rightful Italian union will be regarded as a declaration of war.” The Austrian representative exploded out of his seat in a fit of fury. Before he could vent his feelings upon Cavour, Wilhelm intervened.

“Easy, easy now, calm down. Let us look at this dispassionately. I would ask each representative to state their countries position on this development in turn. Tsar, you may begin.”

Constantine did not even bother to rise from his seat or hide his bored expression. “I defer to the wisdom of those nations who have more experience dealing with Italians. My domains are far away, and regardless of what happens, Russia will not intervene on either side, specifically regarding Northern Italy.”

Palmerston was next. “It is no secret I do not look fondly upon Austria’s continued possession of Italian possessions. It is the position both of myself and her majesty that a national people must be able to decide their own fate, and are not to be lumped into some hidebound monolith that does not respect their basic rights. I vote most strenuously to accept the Sardinian claims as legitimate.”

The Austrian representative could not hid his look of alarm. He had obviously been counting on international support for reclamation of Northern Italy by the Hapsburgs.

The newly crowned emperor of France put the final nail in the Austrian coffin with three simple words: “I support Sardinia.” Wilhelm was not surprised. Austria and France had battled too often for too many years over continental supremacy for Louis to resist the opportunity to twist the knife in the wound.

The Austrian envoy fell back into his seat, looking like a man who had just witnessed his own death. He full well knew Louis’ words signaled that he would help Sardinia militarily against Austria, giving Sardinia a decisive edge. Wilhelm felt a measure of pity for the young man, so obviously overmatched, and unready for the pressures placed on him. What did the youngster expect though? It made better sense for everyone involved to simply let the Italians control their own business. This was not 1819- nationalism could not be so simply thrust under the carpet, especially with a people as passionate about, well, everything as Italians. Anyway, he had to keep this conference moving while everyone was still feeling diplomatic.

“The next groups to be addressed are the Eastern subjects of Austria. The Hungarians and Romanians have declared themselves as independent states. I must break from my position of impartiality to state my own nation’s preference in the Hungarian issue. Should Hungary and Romania be allowed independence, they will only unbalance the delicate power structure the Great Powers have worked so hard to achieve in the Balkans. Regardless of the outcome of this conference, I am sure Austria will attempt to conquer their rebellious subjects. If the Great Powers claim neutrality, Hungary and the Romanians will be forced to appeal to either the Ottomans- unthinkable, I know, but war makes strange bedfellows- or strike a side deal with a Great Power, most likely Russia. Don’t look so offended Constantine, you know it’s true. Therefore, it is for the greater good that we support Austria’s reclamation of Hungary and Romania. Prussia lends its official support to Austria.” The Austrian representative shot Wilhelm a look of gratefulness.

Cavour chimed in: “Sardinia-Piedmont offers its services in Hungary, in exchange for permanent Austrian renouncement of any and all claims in Italy.” The Austrian envoy quickly nodded his agreement.

The entire table turned to look at Louis-Napoleon, next in turn to speak. Slowly, but with great forcefulness, he gave his stance. “France is to busy to start a war on the other side of Europe. I have many internal affairs that are far more pressing. France needed no help in 1848; she will give none now.”
Tsar Constantine, long silent, finally revealed what he had been turning over in his head during the entire conference. With a thin smile on his lips, he spoke. “Russia has an unique role in these Eastern proceedings. It is the feeling of many in the motherland that Russia has a duty to protect its Slavic brothers against the rapacious advances of their oppressors.”

Wilhelm rolled his eyes. Yes, the Russians just loved to protect those Ukrainians and Poles. Why sometimes, they just had to conquer them to save them from the real bad guys. Despite his cynicism, Wilhelm recalled that reports of revolts in Russian territories had been growing less and less. It seemed the Russians had finally figured out how to walk the fine line between stability and paranoia.

Constantine continued. “Inasmuch, I feel compelled by honor to inform you, my peers, that Russia is taking the Romanians from the Hapsburgs under its protective wing. Though I know this must mightily inflame you all, it is my position. Romania will be a protectorate of Russia; this is the only way to insure their safety. In exchange for recognition of this fact, Russia offers its services in the Hungarian business.”

Palmerston slammed his hand down on the table, spilling papers and quills everywhere. “This is preposterous! You cannot simply claim an entire country whenever you feel like it!”

Constantine smiled sweetly at the enraged, beet red Englishman. “I just did.”

“It is the official position of Her Majesty that any attempts to subjugate the Romanians will be regarded as a declaration of war!” Wilhelm and the Austrian quickly added that they would also declare war on Russia should the land grab commence.

“So be it!”

The conference erupted into twenty different shouting matches, with the entourages of all the different parties yelling angrily at one another. Wilhelm, scowling mightily, stormed out. It had all started so promisingly. The Italian situation had been resolved quickly and efficiently, and the eastern rebels would have too if it weren’t for Russia’s damnable ambition. The world would soon find out whether Russia’s guns matched up to its talk.

Comments would really be appreciated, this is the only TL I've ever done

Cool. However, Romanians aren't Slavic, so that appeal isn't going to work.

Instead, Constantine would cite them as coreligionists, as both are Orthodox. The Hungarians are neither Slavs nor Orthodox, so it makes a natural division for him to take the one under his protection and concede the other as under the protection of Austria.

Cool. However, Romanians aren't Slavic, so that appeal isn't going to work.

Instead, Constantine would cite them as coreligionists, as both are Orthodox. The Hungarians are neither Slavs nor Orthodox, so it makes a natural division for him to take the one under his protection and concede the other as under the protection of Austria.

*grimaces

I knew I should have edited it more carefully... the entire time I was thinking Orthodox and writing Slavic- though its probably not warranted the words are pretty linked in my head. Thanks for the feedback all, updates soon.

I completely forgot I had this story still going... I'll try to find some free time to continue the TL. I know in my head whats going to happen, but man is writing it all out a bitch.

Will this somewhat "reformed" Russia have an interest in southeast Asia, or it would strictly interest itself in China, Korea, and Japan?

This forum member, for one, is interested in a Russian East Indies...

Stalker

Banned
Most European countries acquired heavily democratic institutions around this time and they had 300 years of merchants/factory owners behind them. Russia has just barely begun to gain such a class. The Tsar is still supreme. The Duma Constantine established has zero real power, and can be dssolved at any time (which it is, but then reestablished).
Russia hads always had quite a widely spread cass of merchants. Since Peter, She also had manufacture owners non-aristoctares. Demidovs clan, for example. These, since the early 18th century, had grown into mining and industrial empire on Ural and became one of the richest and most influential men in the Empire. But generally, you are right, quantitively, the Russian bourgeoisie by the 19th century was far behind most of the European countries. Yes, Czar is still authocrat, and aristocratic way of governance is a major obstacle to rapid development.

Secondly, Russia is not coming even close to using its resources. I don't have any numbers (perhaps in a future update...) but Russia is still being lapped industrially by Great Britain, France, US, and some others. This will change as industrialization continues, but for now, they are by no means an economic power
Yes, no argument will come from me here.

I've thought about the issue, and to be honest, I am not 100 percent either way. For keeping Alaska to make any sense, it would have to provide some role in the Empire. Its not populous enough to be another domestic market for manufactures, and the fur trade there basically has been on the decline since the 1700's. OTOH, Russian New World colonies are inherently cool. Plausibility... coolness...plausibility....coolness.... lol I think i might have to go with reality on this one and sell Alaska.

Make Rezanov's (early 19th century) expedition to California and Fort-Ross starting giving its fruits in way of agricultural products to feed Alaska. Constanitine should pay more attention to this issue than Nicholas. And, probably, earlier discovery of Gold in Yukon basin by Russians.
Thanks!
One more moment concerns another page with the text of the Ulms conference. So, having started to read your TL from beginning, here, I a little bit am running before time but cannot help saying it right now because it at once struck my eye. The actual address to a Russian Czar "Vashe Imperatorskoye Velichestvo" - "Your Imperial Majesty". Simple dipomatic etiquette requires it. If you want to be simply polite, it should at least be "Vashe Velichestvo" - "Your Majesty" but, of course, not like Tsar. Nobody addresses to a king or an emperor, "hey, king!" or "hey, emperor".;)

Last edited:
Map Questions
1828- War with the Ottoman Empire over the Greek Independence Movement. Russia, along with Britain and France, support the right of Greece to independence. Russia defeats Turkey, gaining the mouth of the Danube,

If Russia is supporting Greece here along with Britain/France, wouldn't Greece get more territory than that.

?In 1848 isn't Schelwig/Holstein still part of Denmark ?
====

?So do Whe have the same Far East, or are there Butterflies there as Well?
With a Different Crimean War, Russia may not be as Interested in the East [Wins]
Or even more Interested [lost even more than OTL]
Sakhalin Island
On the basis of it being an extension of Hokkaidō, geographically and culturally, Japan unilaterally proclaimed sovereignty over the whole island in 1845, as well as the Kuril Islands, as there were competing claims from Russia. However, the Russian navigator Gennady Nevelskoy in 1849 definitively recorded the existence and navigability of this strait and - in defiance of the Qing and Japanese claims; Russian settlers established coal mines, administration facilities, schools, prisons, churches on the island.

In 1855, Russia and Japan signed the Treaty of Shimoda, which declared that both nationals could inhabit the island: Russians in the north, and Japanese in the south, without a clear boundary between. Russia also agreed to dismantle its military base at Ootomari. Following the Opium War, Russia forced the Qing to sign the unequal Treaty of Aigun and Convention of Peking, under which China lost claim to all territories north of Heilongjiang (Amur) and east of Ussuri, including Sakhalin, to Russia. A katorga (penal colony) was established by Russia on Sakhalin in 1857, but the southern part of the island was held by the Japanese until the 1875 Treaty of Saint Petersburg, when they ceded it to Russia in exchange for the Kuril Islands. After the Russo-Japanese War, Russia and Japan signed the Treaty of Portsmouth of 1905, which resulted in the southern part of the island below 50° N reverting to Japan; the Russians retained the other three-fifths of the area. South Sakhalin was administrated by Japan as Karafuto-chō (樺太庁), with the capital Toyohara, today's Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, and had quite a large number of migrants from Japan and Korea.

Treaty of Aigun [1855]and Convention of Peking, [1860]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Aigun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_of_Peking

A lot of potential left here...

A toast! To thread necromancers!

PS - Yeah, a more realisticly depicted conference might likely take 5-10 days to say what you have taking hours, but what the heck. You got the information across, and we didn't have to suffer through: "Then the young Hapsburg passed yet a another note, now the nineteenth, to the Prussian monarch. The new writing suggested the use of a semicolon in their mutual resolution regarding Hungary, where before there had been a comma. The ruler of Prussia signalled that more discussion would be required, and further conversations were postponed till after tea."

This TL actually very interesting especially don't written part yet:).
Warsaw Revolt- Polish Nationalists, as in OTL, rise up against Russian rule. However, they lack the support of the peasants and common folk. Constantine has actually been observing the Polish Constitution, giving Poland a lot of say in its own internal affairs, and not forcibly Russifying Polish culture. Lacking a mass of angry peasants (a prerequisite of just about every rebellion), the uprising is easily handled by the local garrison, and does not even make the front page of the St. Petersburg Times.
Without Constantine Warsaw Revolt more likely would not happen. In Poland Constantine was neither observing the Polish laws nor liberal.