A different race between the US and USSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with me here. What if instead of a race to the stars another front in the Cold War was created a race to the bottom of the sea. Is this even possible?

This could be plausible. The USSR was way behind on subs, even with the Toshiba/Konigsberg scandal. However, this race is one with more immediate implications than the moon. Both the Soviets and the Americans would be greatly interested in undersea mineral deposits. Deep-diving subs would make great weapons platforms...and espionage platforms. Plus, add in the driving Hyman G. Rickover against the driving Sergey Gorshkov...and you make it personal!

And, what would victory consist of? Would the Trieste's dive win it?

Like what Red said, the mining of underwater resources and I think the discovery of all those species near the bottom would be quite an accomplishment to whoever finds them.

I don't think they're be a "finish line" for this race. The exploration, exloitation, and militarization of the sea would continue untill either war started because of it or the cold war fizzled in something like OTL or perhaps with the powers simply deciding to coexist.

Mining the ocean floor might turn profitable and it might even open the fabled North-West passage.
The space race allowed lofting spy satellites and communications satellites into earth's orbit. Current GPS, cell phones, internet, FAX machines would not be half as popular if they only allowed short-range communications.
What advantage would you gain from ocean-based communications?

It's possible, but sea travel is more expensive than space travel because of the pressure. As a result, we know a lot less about the sea than you would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.