A Different Path: A History of the Kerry Administration & Beyond

Guaranteed income? :eek:. Even the most left-leaning governments in this US OTL haven't passed anything like that.

But to which side will the political forces realign?

The idea is gaining popularity but still on the fringe. Btw about it, it also has some support on the right, with Alaska having a guaranteed income of some sort from a quick glance on Wikipedia. A lot of the old Republican and Democrat solutions are being ramped up, with more tax hikes and spending or more spending cuts and deep tax cuts-even a flat tax. However, Trump's prescription: deport the immigrants and protectionism, is quite popular, though state governments can't pass it.

Didn't win the Turtledove unfortunately, but this TL got 12% and 29 votes. A pretty good performance I'd say, especially since I've never had a TL so successful or get a Turtledove nomination before. Thank you to everyone who voted for this TL, and those who didn't but still like it but forgot or didn't vote for it for whatever reason. I look forward to finishing this TL and then continuing with my alternate histories and future TLs. Maybe next year. Thank you all. :)

GOP WINS HOUSE!
REPUBLICAN: 223+28 49.6% DEMOCRAT:212-28 47.1%-NOVEMBER 4, 2014​
boehner.JPG

REPUBLICANS OVERCOME DEMOCRAT GERRYMANDERING TO RETAKE HOLD ON HOUSE

PELOSI TO STAY ON, VOWS TO RETAKE HOUSE IN 2016
Lizza-How-Big-Oil-Nancy-Pelosi-Defeated-House-Freedom-Caucus-1200.jpg

HILLARY CLINTON APPROVAL RATING AT 43%
140918_hillary_clinton_ap_605.jpg

MCCONNELL'S FINAL FAILURE: DEMOCRATS RETAIN MOST SENATE SEATS, REID CELEBRATES 'TREMENDOUS VICTORY'

DEMOCRAT: 49-3, REPUBLICAN: 48+2, INDEPENDENT: 3+1
mitch-mcconnell.jpg

OOC: Given that the 2008 Senate elections went so differently, I will have to list all the results that saw a different winner in 2014, whether that winner is from the same party as the OTL winner or not. Every election not shown here went the same as IOTL, same nominees and same results(well, same winner).This may take a while, but it'll be necessary, comprehensive and informative.

ALASKA: JOE MILLER(R) DEFEATS MARK BEGICH(D)

images

ARKANSAS; INCUMBENT MIKE HUCKABEE(R) DEFEATS BOB TULLIS(D)

mike_huckabee.jpg

COLORADO: INCUMBENT BOB SCAHFFER(R) DEFEATS MARK UDALL(D)
20120127__20120128_B1_cd28neenan~p1_200.jpg

DELAWARE: INCUMBENT CHRIS COONS(D) DEFEATS CHRISTINE O'DONNELL(R)
106461695-senator-elect-chris-coons-celebrates-with-gettyimages.jpg

GEORGIA: MICHELLE NUNN(D) DEFEATS JACK KINGSTON(R)-NO RUNOFF, NUNN GAINS SHOCK MAJORITY!
images

IOWA:JONI ERNST(R) DEFEATS BRUCE BRALEY(D)
joni-ernst-youtube-e1402091235622.jpg

KANSAS: GREG ORMAN(I) DEFEATS MILTON WOLF(R)
images

KENTUCKY: RAND PAUL(R) DEFEATS ALLISON LUNDERGAN GRIMES(D)
rand-paul.jpg

LOUISIANA: INCUMBENT JOHN NEELY KENNEDY(R) DEFEATS EDWIN EDWARDS(D)
f7cb965e933ea51cc48df2679ac25c09_400x400.jpeg

MASSACHUSETTS: MICHAEL CAPUANO(D) DEFEATS GABRIEL GOMEZ(R)
images

MINNESOTA: INCUMBENT NORM COLEMAN(R) DEFEATS YVONNE PRETTNER SOLON(D)
images

MISSISSIPPI: CHRIS MCDANIELS(R) DEFEATS TRAVIS CHILDERS(D)
mcdanielconfederateflag630.jpg

MONTANA: STEVE DAINES(R) DEFEATS AMANDA CURTIS(D)
images

NEW HAMPSHIRE: INCUMBENT JOHN SUNUNU(R) DEFEATS JEANNE SHAHEEN(D)
220px-John_E._Sununu.jpg

NEW JERSEY: BETH MASON(D) DEFEATS JEFF BELL(R)
220px-Beth_Mason.jpg

NEW MEXICO: HEATHER WILSON(R) DEFEATS INCUMBENT TOM UDALL(D)
images

NORTH CAROLINA: GREG BRANNON(R) DEFEATS KAY HAGAN(D)
516cb8f2257c7.preview-300.jpg

OREGON: TED WHEELER(D) DEFEATS MONICA WEHBY(R)
wheeler_1.jpg

SOUTH CAROLINA: JOE WILSON(R)[PRIMARIED LINDSEY GRAHAM] DEFEATS BRAD HUTTO(D)
art.joe.wilson.heckling.gi.jpg

SOUTH DAKOTA: MIKE ROUNDS(R) DEFEATS RICK WEILAND(D), LARRY PRESSLER(I)
2014-10-21-Roundspic.jpg

TENNESSEE: JOE CARR(R) DEFEATS GORDON BALL(D)
images

VIRGINIA: ED GILLEPSIE(R) DEFEATS INCUMBENT JOHN WARNER(D)
458431890-ed-gillespie-the-republican-candidate-for-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
I'll put in the gubernatorial results in the next day or two. Any thoughts on the midterms and the alternate Senate?

Nice update! glad to see the democrats keeping control of the senate.

Thanks. However, the Democrats will certainly struggle with a Republican House. And if their fortunes don't pick up, heaps of seats are vulnerable in 2016. Still, any comments on alternate individual Senators, giving the Senate has been changed so much?

As with the Senate results, I will do all the gubernatorial results that had different candidates or were seriously effected by butterflies. it might be a bit long but then you'll find out who the Governor of your state is and all sorts of interesting tidbits. I think I'll get it in today. Stay tuned, first or this and then for the aftermath and the beginning of the 2016 election.

bookmark95

Banned
Yep, Clinton is walking a tightrope in 2016. Without any substantial domestic accomplishments (except for immigration reform) she's going to have to rely on the US economy to maintain some popularity.

I am interesting in learning about the early Republican candidates. I know Rand Paul could be a favorite, only his reputation is enhanced by having defeated the Senate minority leader in a primary, and being the son of the most success third-party candidate since Ross Perot.

Yep, Clinton is walking a tightrope in 2016. Without any substantial domestic accomplishments (except for immigration reform) she's going to have to rely on the US economy to maintain some popularity.

I am interesting in learning about the early Republican candidates. I know Rand Paul could be a favorite, only his reputation is enhanced by having defeated the Senate minority leader in a primary, and being the son of the most success third-party candidate since Ross Perot.

Perhaps Paul. I'm undecided on whether he will run given he just entered the Senate and has no experience, so he'd be vulnerable to being attacked as an unqualified showman with no accomplishments, and given the establishment would try to tear him down he might want to get a Senate record first. On the other hand 2016 does look like a golden year for a candidate like him and there isn't yet another strong libertarian.

*Looks him up*. *Thinks about it for a second* Sure Dustin, I'll give you that. Any other wishes for Governors to submit before the closing date of sometime in a few hours?

Thanks. I figured he would be a good People Power candidate for Massachusetts.

Thanks. I figured he would be a good People Power candidate for Massachusetts.

Ok, sure. It's harder finding alternate Governors because you need to know about the state's politics and leading figures, so in some cases i think I defaulted to OTL Treasurers or Lieutenant Governors or whatever, and those races get far less national attention. I think I did a good job but feel free to make suggestions.

REPUBLICANS WIN GUBERNATORIAL ELECTIONS
REPUBLICAN: 28+4, DEMOCRAT; 20-4, INDEPENDENT: 2_

ARIZONA: DOUG DUCEY(D) DEFEATS INCUMBENT TERRY GODDARD(D)
images

ALASKA: SEAN PARNEL(R)DEFEATS BILL WALKER(I)
220px-Sean_Parnell_Elmendorf_crop.jpg

FLORIDA: PAM BONDI(R)DEFEATS INCUMBENT ALEK SINK(D)
images

GEORGIA: NATHAN DEAL(R) DEFEATS INCUMBENT ROY BARNES(D)
13_01_deal-ebd82a83.jpeg

IOWA: INCUMBENT CHET CHULVER(D) DEFEATS BOB VANDER PLAATS(R)
1396365435000-dmrdc5-5wpw9vd6ca81cd3w6bv7-original.jpg

MAINE: ELIOT CUTLER(I) WINS
ELIOT_CUTLER_GD_5784926-600x813.jpg

MASSACHUSETTS: DON BERWICK(D) DEFEATS CHARLIE BAKER(R)
don-berwick-190x180.jpg

MICHIGAN: MARK SCHAUER(D) DEFEATS INCUMBENT RICK SNYDER(R)
images

NEW MEXICO: STEVE PEARCE(R) DEFEATS INCUMBENT DIANE DENISH(D)
n-STEVE-PEARCE-GOVERNMENT-SHUTDOWN-large570.jpg

NEW YORK: INCUMBENT ANDREW CUOMO(D) 'SCHLONGS' DONALD TRUMP(R)
CUOMO: 58%, TRUMP: 37%

458125054.jpg

images

OHIO: JOSH MANDEL(R) DEFEATS TIM RYAN(D)
121029_josh_mandel_ap_328.jpg

PENNSYLVANIA: INCUMBENT DAN ONORATO(D) DEFEATS SAM ROHRER(R)
dan-onorato.jpg

SOUTH CAROLINA: GRESHAM BARRETT(R) DEFEATS INCUMBENT VINCENT SHEHEEN(D)
220px-J._Gresham_Barrett,_official_photo_portrait,_color.jpg

Last edited:
CLINTON AFTER MIDTERMS: WE CAN DO BETTER-NOVEMBER 5, 2014​
ClintonInequality61915.jpg

ALLEN MAKES SHOCK DECISION, WON'T RUN IN 2016-NOVEMBER 6, 2014
images
Virginia Senator George Allen, the presumed frontrunner for the 2016 Republican nomination, has declined to run for President. Allen issued a short statement saying that after "the rigours of my last run in 2008" that he "just don't have the fire in the belly to put myself and my family through constant attacks." Most polls had shown Allen leading the Republican contest, though with a precarious lead over other contenders such as former Vice-President John Thune and numerous other candidates. Allen also now is very likely to be elected to replace Mitch McConnell as leader of the Senate Republicans, having formed a respected status in the US Senate and establishment connections after his failed 2008 run.

ISI ADVANCES ON BAGHDAD, IRAQ CALLS FOR INTERNATIONAL HELP TO STOP COLLAPSE-NOVEMBER 11, 2014​
images

GRANT ROBERTSON ELECTED LEADER OF NZ LABOUR PARTY AFTER LANDSLIDE DEFAET-NOVEMBER 18, 2014
GrantRobertson.jpg
After a landslide defeat in the 2014 New Zealand election, in which the National Party won a historic majority, the New Zealand Labour Party has booted out its leader David Cunliffe for Grant Robertson. Robertson promised to expand Labour's appeal, but is set to struggle with disunity in the party as previous leaders have. The triumphant National Party seems blissfuly unconcerned about this. Perhaps they should be.

PRESIDENT CLINTON CALLS ON INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO ACT ON IRAQ
images

FEINGOLD PRIMARY CHALLENGE?
NEW POLL PRESIDENT CLINTON 58%, FEINGOLD 32% FOR 2016 DEM PRIMARY

Russ-Feingold-2015-jpg_7644.jpg

US, NATO BEGIN OPERATION SANDBANK, BOMB TERRORISTS IN IRAQ-NOVEMBER 27, 2014
iraq_bombings_777.jpg

ADMINISTRATION TRIES TO RAM UNPOPULAR SPENDING CUTS THROUGH BUDGET
REPUBLICANS, PEOPLE POWER ATTACK BUDGET
images

UNEMPLOYMENT FALLS TO 7.6%-DECEMBER 1, 2014​

LIBYA UNITY GOVERNMENT EMERGES AS VIOLENCE FALLS TO LOWEST LEVELS SINCE REVOLUTION-DECEMBER 7, 2014
0f36ee4e01334aeb86a67d2979f27f28_18.jpg

CONGRESS REJECTS CLINTON'S BUDGET, GOVERNMENT SHUTS DOWN-DECEMBER 11, 2014​
congress-sunset_wide-a1a11848863808cc49fb3cc24881069ddc5dfb17-s800-c85.jpg
The administration's budget lost by 5 votes last night in the House, causing a government shutdown. The budget contained spending cuts to the military, as well as to social spending and government programs, and People Power was also enraged by loosening of campaign finance laws. The result is a government shutdown, the first since 1995. The President was quick to blame 'extremists' for the shutdown, while John Boehner and Republican senate leader blamed the President's "bleeding heart liberal agenda."

PEOPLE POWER, MINUTEMEN REFUSE TO BUDGE ON GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN
government-shutdown-cartoon-darkow-495x389.jpg

STOCK MARKETS SLUMP AS PARTISANSHIP ESCALATES-DECEMBER 12, 2014
government-shutdown.jpg

SHUTDOWN ENDS, HOUSE PASSES BUDGET BY 2 VOTES-DECEMBER 18, 2014
1117_capitol-building-624x415.jpg

2014 ENDS, 2015 SET TO BE A YEAR OF PARTISANSHIP AND ELECTIONEERING
2016-Election.gif

bookmark95

Banned
I think a government shutdown would be the basis of much of the judgement of Hilary Clinton.

It was the 1995 shutdown that turned Bill Clinton into a popular president when he refused to bend to Gingrich, so Hilary would definitely be compared to Bill in her conduct during the shutdown.