A Difference Of Fate: A Late Roman Timeline

Chapter 47 Winter of 488-489
Chapter 47

Winter of 488AD

With the victory over the Franks, Constantinus had his men slowly herd the Franks towards the Rhine River. While not all of the Frankish population abandoned their homes on the west side of the great river, many followed their King and what remained of his army returning to there eastern territories. Constantinus gave his men orders that they were allow all who wished to go, past. As it was late fall by the time they began to garrison the crossings of the River with only small garrisons he did not intend to cross the river in the winter, any further campaiging against the franks would wait until the next year.

With his men weakly spread across the reconquered province of Belgica, and the Rhine river Constantinus occupied the major City of Augusta Trevorum with a force of 1500 men, 1000 Infantry and 500 Cavalry. The old city had a vast and important history and had hosted a great number of great men over the years including Emperors and Caesars alike.

It was here that Constantinus held a meeting with 3 other men. Those being Gallicianus, Gallus, and Tribunus Scaurus. We don't know much about this meeting, however what is confirmed is that, quickly afterwards Gallus would leave the City with a group of 50 Horsemen where he would make his way to Rome, taking a route that took him through Burgundian territory south towards Arelate, before swinging east into Italy.
Gallicianus would stay in Augusta Trevorum acting as Constantinus second and acting in several duties for the army ensuring that a proper amount of new recruits where being trained, and supplies being stockpiled.

However over the winter it is not exactly clear what happened to Tribunus Aelius Scaurus. What we do know is that with the disappearance of Scaurus, so did several men who were known ringleaders of the movement to name Constantinus Emperor. In one case several of these men disappeared within a matter of days, and men who appeared more loyal to Rome and the Emperor himself were promoted. However a grumbling from the Armies leadership seemed to have stopped these disappearances. Tribunus Scarus would reappear in late winter leading a cavalry regiment in a rescue attempt on a surrounded fort that the Franks had attacked, attempting to take its stores of food for itself after attacking several nearby settlements. With this cavalry and the survivors of the fort Scaurus vanquished the small band of several hundred Franks.

However it is Julius Valerius Gallus mission to Rome that would be important to the northern frontier of Rome.

When Gallus arrived in Rome at the beginning of the New year he did not even go to his wife before seeing his brother the Emperor. Crowds soon grew around the small entourage of the youngest Caesar and whispers of the northern campaigns grew. Before long many people where cheering the young Caesar, for the first true time in his life, Gallus felt the love of the people, a people he would safeguard from any threat....

Upon reaching the imperial palace the Palatini guards of the emperor blocked the massive crowd. Gallus made his way into the palace grounds. However before he was out of the sight of the people he turned back, and gave the people a salute, a simple action that made the thronging crowd go crazy, a massive cheer erupting. For Gallus it would be along time before he would receive such a beloved cheer from the people of the imperial city again....

Gallus was brought into an office in the palace, and before long his brother arrived and greeted him with a hug. For his part Gallus thought Theodosius had changed. While he had never been a particularly hard looking man, especially compared to Constantinus, Theodosius had however always kept himself in at least decent shape. Over the last year it looked like he had gained a bit of girth and lost the defined edge on his arms, the more Gallus examined his brother the more he realized his brother was becoming soft. While he was not a lazy man, sitting in the city and in the senate meetings and offices had definitely began to take a toll on Theodosius.

"Brother youve been enjoying the fruits of the Capital I see." Theodosius laughed at his brothers words.

"First time ive seen you in nearly a year and your insulting my gut!" The two laughed before Theodosius looked at his brother sternly. "What news from the north?"

Gallus sighed. "We were victorious in the end. However it was a hard fought campaign. I think Constantinus nearly met his match up north. Clovis was a tough and skilled opponent. While we did not get terms of peace with him, i dont expect it will take much of next year to accomplish. He simply doesnt have the men to get a victory out of this war, however in the end Belgica is ours again."

Theodosius nodded, "that is good! Great news! Maybe Constantinus will see that he can have peace for a few years. The plan of the reconquest of the empire is nearly complete. He can be allowed to rest." At his brothers downtrodden look, Theodosius grew worried. "What have you not told me."

Gallus clenched his eyes and fists. "Upon our final victory the troops acclaimed Constantinus Emperor...." Theodosius gasped, and sat down shakily. "Constantinus was able to deny them once again.... however the troops warned him that they would do so again and he wont be able to deny them any longer." Theodosius closed his eyes, Gallus thought he seen a hint of panic cross his brothes face before Theodosius masterfully hid his emotions.

"Then he must unfortunately be taken from command in Gaul before the Alemani are beaten."

Gallus responded with what Constantinus had told him all those weeks ago. "To give the order that he be removed from power will result in a mutiny. They'll believe that the new commander will discipline them even try to decimate them for their treason."

Theodosius exploded "Damn rights they"ll be decimated, they expect me to just lay here while they try to destroy what cohesion the empire has, the treasonous bastards deserve death every one of them." Gallus was silent he had never heard his brother with such anger. However Theodosius quickly reigned himself in. "Our brother is right however. If he was but a simple commander we could replace him quite easily, the men may become angry but their lot in life is to see many commanders over their lifetime not make them emperor. The problem with Constantinus is his fame. Even if he quietly walks out from camp they might mutiny or a number of other things. Theres a chance we could do it and everything go nicely but theres everychance that all the armies declare for our brother, unfortunately leaving him in command will hurt my authority once word gets out of all this. I cant name him Co-Augusti either. The empire already has two Augustii, to make a third especially one of imperial blood could cause a crisis like the one during the age of Aurelian. Every Caesar with an army will believe he could become Emperor by blood and Fire, let alone the political ramifications."

Gallus finally found the moment to break into his brothers talk. "Constantinus has come up with another solution, one that will bring a finality to this issue, he will have to remain in command however....."

After his meeting with the emperor Gallus went to find his wife, who was also in the imperial residence. He smiled as he seen his daughter held in his wifes arms. No words need be said as they met and embraced, foreheads touching.

It would be the last weeks of winter before Gallus left Rome, in those weeks he loved his wife and family, and enjoyed his time with his nephews the son of Theodosius, Constantinus's wife having relocated to Gaul to be with her husband with their two sons one of which had been born during this years campaign months younger than Gallus's daughter.

However during this time Gallus also grew tired of Rome, and in a way his brother Theodosius. While Theodosius ment well and still was good natured. Something had changed in him, Gallus was happy to be heading to Gaul, to be joining his brother Constantinus again, however in the back of his mind Gallus wished there was a way to avoid the future....

I wonder how things in the east are doing with their Augustus. The Danube should be heating up with the Ostrogoths, plus the Monophysite heresy should be popping up to be an issue.
Once i finish up with the Gallic Campaigns, i will probably put a chapter in or two about the east and how it has been going for them and probably the sassanids as well. As for the monophysited thats something ill have to look into and see what happens with them, if they are featured

Once i finish up with the Gallic Campaigns, i will probably put a chapter in or two about the east and how it has been going for them and probably the sassanids as well. As for the monophysited thats something ill have to look into and see what happens with them, if they are featured
I really hope Zeno shows up. Maybe Anthemius marries one of his daughters to Zeno so we get a badass new general to deal with the Ostrogoths

Chapter 48: The Fate of a Caesar
Chapter 48

489AD
September 2nd

The sounds of swords and shields clashing filled the air, screams of the dieing and injured pierced eardrums. Somewhere on the battle field there was a change in the tone as men began in desperation to escape the wall of death before them. This was quickly drowned out by a horn blowing its long low note, and the sound of horses on the run could be herd. A mighty crash and a furious melee ensued. However above it all a voice could be heard yelling.

"Caesar has fallen, Caesar has fallen!"

Instead of the Romans losing heart and running with their leader fallen in a cavalry charge, and likely dead, a grim determination and rage set in, and the Romans roared at their Alemanni foes, and began to fight like demons, redoubling their efforts, fighting like fresh men instead of mean who had been fighting for several hours.

Gallus watched with the remainder of the cavalry a paltry 500 men, and watched the battle unfold, in grim silence, ignoring the the potential fate of his brother, he watched for the right moment waiting for that slight change in the Alemanni men, where instead of looking forward and hungry for fighting and victory, for them to begin looking behind them to see if anyone else was running. As the Romans continued their push forward fighting with a furious determination pushing the Alemanni stepping over their dead who fell in waves like the romans where scything down wheat.

Then Gallus seen it, and with that he raised his sword, and waved it forward, his men coming behind him in a wedge formation, lances raised. They rounded the battlefield before turning and lowering their lances drove straight into the Alemanni flank which crumbled and routed. Like a wave the alemanni routed, running for their lives hoping to make the forest edge where they would have a chance at escape. The Romans chased there cavalry at the front, Gallicianus would have them turn around in a matter of a few miles. For Gallus however, it was time to see the Fate of his brother.

Constantinus was a poor sight, Gallus had to avert his eyes seeing his brother's pain, however his brother simply chuckled, pain racked his body, and a trickle of blood escaped the corner of his mouth. "Tell me brother, did I experience my last victory."

"Yes brother, the Alemanni were routed completely, we will have likely killed a third if not half their army in this engagement and route. It will be a simple matter getting peace and their status as fedorati confirmed."

"Good now come close, I must tell you something for your ears only." Gallus nealt close to his brother. "Look at the Lance in my stomach."

Gallus, sighed and looked where he did not wish to, at his brother's stomach which lay open, a lance having pierced it and ripped it asunder. The lance had also snapped and half of it was still in his brother. The fact that his brother was still able to speak abliet with extreme pain, showed his extreme constitution as well as the fact that the adrenaline was keeping him awake.

Gallus shook his head, "that's one of our lances!"

Constantinus nodded. "Scaurus that bastard Tribunus." The plan had been for Constantinus to enter the thick of the battle and simply let himself get overwhelmed by the enemy, the fact that one of their own men had speared him was incomprehensible. "Scaurus is Theodosius's spie in my camp, I've known this for a while, and had him serve my purposes as well. However I believe he was given free reign to ensure there where no threats to our brother."

"Which means even though Theodosius knew of the plan, he inadvertently has ordered your death, and had you killed, this will all fall on his name."

Constantinus nodded, "don't let that happen, make sure Theodosius never knows the truth of my death, of his part in it. The name of our dynasty must be kept clean of such rumors."

Gallus nodded, believing his brother's words. "Don't worry brother Gallicianus can clean up the Alemanni I'll find Scaurus, and I'll make sure he disappears."

Constantinus nodded, a small smile crossed his face amongst the pain, and while he held his brother hand tight, for the breifest of moments before his eyes glazed over and his hand fell to his side. This was the end of Constantinus, the 2nd hero in the dynasty of Majorian, who died fighting the Alemanni and securing the last peices of the Rhine frontier.

Last edited:
Very forward thinking of him to make sure the true cause of his death was covered up. A murder ordered by a relative is far less glamorous than being slain by enemies in the throes of battle.

Very forward thinking of him to make sure the true cause of his death was covered up. A murder ordered by a relative is far less glamorous than being slain by enemies in the throes of battle.

Exactly, this way he can go out a hero and his troops won't be vengeful against his brother the emperor, causing a civil war anyways.

He returns, I am glad that the timeline has been continued, I feel like t´is Christmas morn.
Haha thanks! Sorry it took so long for me to continue the timeline, I had writers block on exactly how I was gonna right this chapter for to long, and eventually just gave myself a break from it, then the other day I decided that it was time to get down to business and write this regardless of how it turned out!

Haha thanks! Sorry it took so long for me to continue the timeline, I had writers block on exactly how I was gonna right this chapter for to long, and eventually just gave myself a break from it, then the other day I decided that it was time to get down to business and write this regardless of how it turned out!
Do not worry, Quality over Quantity, I think it came out real well

Do not worry, Quality over Quantity, I think it came out real well
Thank you appreciate it, over the last few months I've partially written the chapter several times before I settled on this one.

Welcome back!

So the infighting and backstabbing of the late empire isn't going away, lol. Hopefully it doesn't spell disaster... how are things in the Eastern Empire?

Thank you! No it definitely isn't haha, things may go a little smoother for the next while for the Empire with the reconquest finally finished, but give it a decade or two and things may get a little rough again.

Chapter 49: 489 Scaurus
Chapter 49

Fall of 489

Gallus thought back on his brother's last campaign. With the threat that after it's conclusion his men would once again try to proclaim him emperor, Constantinus had been very deliberate in his final campaign. had crossed into Frankish territory. After their victory the previous year the frankish army was in tatters and the Franks could not truly defeat the Romans in the field. What resulted was essentially a large raid. The romans had burned the villages they found and fought some skirmishes. Finally after nearly a month across the Rhine the frankish king had showed his face, and kneeled in front of Constantinus.

The terms had been harsh but not to the point that the franks could not pay. They were to be fedoratii, to be called upon for war as the romans pleased. They would also pay a tax in a way to repay the Romans lost taxes and for the cost of the war, so as to not break the franks completely they lowered the yearly payment to what the franks could afford, and extended its length out to nearly 20 years. A price a generation of franks would pay.

From there Constantinus had lead his army plus a small contigent of Frankish troops back across the Rhine, and south to where the alemanni lay. Once into alemanni territory the Roman's and alemanni had fought a first bloody battle, that the romans had won, from there they had almost corraled the alemanni back to their territory across the Rhine. Following the Germans back across the river, they had gone to their final victory, where Constantinus had died, Gallus knew that his brother would be remembered as one of Romes best generals in decades other than his father.

Which brought him to Tribunus Scaurus. The man had fled after murdering the Caesar, and Gallus having left the finale of the campaign in the capable hands of Gallicianus with orders on what would be forced onto the alemanni as peace terms, and what would follow with the troops afterwards, was hot on his trail.

It had taken several hours to find the Tribunes trail south, but once they had, Gallus and 30 Cavalry with bows had hurried on after him with each man having a secondary mount as to allow them to replace there tired mounts with spares. However it seemed that Scaurus knew he was being pursued. He had doubled back on himself in spots and instead of crossing rivers had crossed rivers numerous times or used streams to hide his tracks. His tricks had allowed the man to gain valuable time and get further ahead of his followers. They had once caught the sight of a lone horseman in the distance, however Scaurus had also seen them and had evaded them.

Gallus had thought to just continue on into Italia and try to catch Scaurus on his way to meet Theodosius, however the chance of missing Scaurus was to great. Instead they were on a tiring game of cat and mouse.

This game of cat and mouse continued on for weeks, the alp mountain range soon towered over the group of cavalry as they closed in on the mountains. And their prey was close. By bringing spare mounts they had been able to slowly gain pace on Scaurus unwilling to travel in the dark and miss one of his tricks to evade them. Now they were only a few miles away and Scaurus and the romans were easily within eyesight of eachother. However every horse was blown, and in an unsuitable condition to begin a high speed pursuit.

Gallus looked up at the snow covered peaks and groaned. "Looks like Scaurus is intent on taking us into the mountains and with winter on the way this could be dangerous." The cavalry officer beside him a veteran soldier named Flavius Umbrius laughed, "just think were following in histories footsteps!" Gallus cocked his head, before realizing the officers was talking of Hannibals march through the mountains. Laughing himself.

As it turned out as October rolled in winter was beginning in the mountains in Ernest. Before long a blizzard was whipping a flurry of snow and wind around the troop. What they never expected was for Scaurus to use this as a chance to attack.

As the men crowded together, on foot, their horses off to the side, and trying to stay warm under their cloaks and body heat, suddenly an arrow struck one man in the neck. "Where did that come from!" Umbrius yelled, looking around shielding his face from the snow. He was quickly answered by another arrow hitting another man in the back. Realizing where the arrows had come from the soldiers raised their shields to late as another fell an arrow in his eye. "Spread out and advance, we'll find this bastard!"

As the men advanced the odd arrow whistled by or into a shield, however the arrows seem to come from random spots ahead of them. After a pause where no arrows appeared, one of the men screamed in agony, an arrow in his back by his shoulder. Everyone turned as another man fell to the ground However only stunned as the arrow hit his shield rim and deflected only glancing off his helmet. "Advance at a run!"

As they charged forward there was a loud whiny from their horses as they all scattered. Gallus and his men swore and barely caught site of Scaurus riding off into the blizzard with two horses. They men scattered attempting to find gather their mounts. However in the flying snow in which they were only able to see 15feet ahead of them the task was impossible and only 5 horses where found. "Umbrius you and the rest of your men stay here I'll take 5 men and try to catch this bastard"

The 5 men quickly followed the tracks that were quickly disappearing into the snow. However finally luck was on their side and the blizzard slowed, and as they climbed further into the mountain pass, the more the storm seemed to ease. Before long they found one horse, it's front leg had snapped as it mistepped in the snow covered environment. "He's down to a single horse, we can catch him.!"

Before long another sharp cry from a horse came up ahead, the steep environment having found another victim, before they could even move however a horse came tumbling down the mountain and crashed into the horses of 2 troopers. "Shit!" With the blizzard coming even slower now, Gallus caught sight of Scaurus about the distance of two bowshots ahead of them having slid down the mountain with his horse a fair way. Scaurus caught sight of his followers and quickly loosed an arrow at them taking one trooper straight into the face us, the reason this hit was because of the height difference giving Scarus more range however the trade off was that the arrow lost some power and instead of killing the poor soldier only penetrated through his cheek and into his jaw, but not enough to kill him instead the soldier let out a squeel as he pulled on his horses reigns, the horse bucked and launched its rider off who then rolled back down the mountain. This left only Gallus and one other soldier. "Dismount crouch behind your shield we chase on foot."

At this point instead of firing randomly, Scaurus who looked exhausted and like he was beginning to experience frost bite, only loosed the odd arrow when he thought he had a clear shot, however most of these were blocked by shields. As they closed in on their prey, they began to come onto a cliff, and Scaurus had lost his only escape as he reached the edge of it. Turning back Scaurus seen the romans close in and quickly notched an arrow.

"Scaurus, why did you do it."

The ex Tribunus smiled. "To protect the Augustus!"

"You killed the emperors own brother, your mad."

Scaurus laughed. "Your brother the Emperor, gave me free reign to protect him and his interests in Gaul. Your brother was no longer an interest but a threat."

"A shame that you had to go and kill a Caesar while he was in the midst of trying to get the alemanni to kill him." Scaurus looked at him with a questioning look. "Yes that's right Constantinus had told the emperor of his plan, he was going to get the Alemanni to kill him in battle, to go down as a hero, the plan was even approved by the emperor. You killed the emperors brother for no reason, not only that, but on his so called orders. I don't think that's the story the emperor wants to hear, nor to have spread." Anger crossed Scaurus's face. "I think Scaurus that if you tell the emperor your story he would have you killed, the worst would be the guilt that lay on his conscience, it would condemn him to hell and drive him crazy. For the good of Rome you will never leave these mountains."

"Why not let me go?"

Gallus smiled a wicked smile. "Vengeance for my brother, a Vengeance that could have been laid onto the alemanni, had you not intervened, and because a man of your expertise and talent must never make it out to serve anyone else."

Scaurus nodded, and simply said, "then the time of words is at an end."

He released his arrow, straight into the foot of the soldier beside Gallus, the soldier dropped clutching his foot, never seeing Scaurus's last arrow embed into his skull. Gallus charged, and Scaurus drew his sword and the clash of swords rung across the mountain. The dance of swords aired it's frustration for minutes, the two fighters on almost even skill, however as the two tired men fought, one finally screamed in pain, having blocked the strike it glanced of his shield and struck across his armor into his shoulder, the man fell to the ground, however as he fell, he swung his sword and cleaned into the others calf. The two men fell to the ground, and began to roll around fighting to gain an advantage through the pain. Finally the younger man landed on top and held a knife to the others throat. The older man tried to hold the knife back but slowly as his arms strained he began to lose the battle of strength and the knife slowly sank into his throat.

Gallus sighed and rolled back onto his knees, and looked up at the sky, and was suprised as the sun broke free of the last peices of the blizzard and broke through the cloud cover and sent it's rays towards him illuminating the cliff top. Gallus smiled and closed his eyes, feeling like God and his brother were smiling down upon him.