A Darker World War II: A Timeline Reboot by Zoidberg12

The last 1946 update should be up either later today or tomorrow. I'm also working on a map for 1946. In the meantime, I edited my last post to add something about Operation Market Garden and I also changed the date of Indonesia's independence.

September 1, 1946: King George II and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou of Greece move the government of Greece from Cairo, Egypt to the newly-liberated city and Greek capital of Athens.

220px-Georgeiiofgreece.jpg

George II

George_Papandreou_senior_large.jpg

Georgios Papandreou

September 3, 1946: As the Allied armies finally reach Germany from their offensive throughout France and the Low Countries, the Battle of Aachen begins.

301px-GI_machine_gun_crew_in_Aachen_%28Correct_orientation%29.jpg

An American machine-gun crew fighting against the German armies on September 29, 1946

September 6, 1946: Operation Tidal Wave; the Soviet and American air forces bomb the Romanian oil fields of Ploesti. This is a large blow to the German and Axis war effort.

September 7, 1946: After months of Allied aerial bombardments throughout mainland Italy, the American, British, Canadian, ANZAC and French invasion of mainland Italy begins. A limited amount of forces from Brazil, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Greece and the Free Belgian, Free Dutch, Free Polish, Free Czechoslovak forces also partake in the invasion. The Allies invade with the American armies under George S. Patton and Mark W. Clark, the British Commonwealth armies under Harold Alexander and Oliver Leese and the French armies under Jean de Lattre de Tassigny. The Germans defend with Albert Kesselring, Heinrich von Vietinghoff and Fridolin von Senger und Etterlin and the Italians defend with Vittorio Ambrosio and Ugo Cavallero.

180px-Heinrich_von_Vietinghoff.jpg

Heinrich von Vietinghoff

220px-VittorioAmbrosio.jpg

Vittorio Ambrosio

September 9, 1943: The Allied armies land outside of the cities of Salerno in the region of Campania and Taranto in the region of Apulia in southern Italy.

ItalySalernoInvasion1943.jpg

Allied soldiers land on the beaches outside of Salerno, September 9, 1946

September 10, 1946: Soviet troops begin an offensive to liberate the Crimean Peninsula from occupation by Nazi Germany.

September 12, 1946: As a result of the recent Allied invasion of mainland Italy, the Italian Social Republic becomes a German puppet state as the German government and military begins gaining the reins of power over the Italian government and military apparatus, making Mussolini little more than a puppet of Hitler.

September 14, 1946: The Allied invasion of Sardinia and Corsica begins. The Allied forces invade from Sicily, Algeria and Southern France and land on the beaches outside of the cities of Cagliari in Sardinia and Ajaccio in Corsica.

September 16, 1946: At about 11:00 GMT, The first German V-1 rocket attack takes place on Great Britain just outside of London.

318px-Flying_Bomb-_V1_Bomb_Damage_in_London%2C_England%2C_UK%2C_1944_D21237.jpg

The aftermath and cleanup of the first V-1 rocket attack on London on the morning of September 17, 1946

September 20, 1946: The Soviet Air Force begins a series of large-scale air raids over German-occupied Belarus, Poland and Baltics.

September 22, 1946: In conjunction with the aforementioned air raids, the Soviet Air Force begins a series of air raids over Romania and Bulgaria.

September 25, 1946: In retaliation for the recent German V-1 rocket attack on British soil, the British Royal Air Force conducts another large-scale air raid on Berlin.

September 30, 1946: Naples, one of the main cities of southern Italy, is liberated by the American and British Commonwealth armies. As the Allied soldiers enter Naples, they are greeted by the residents of the city as liberators.

PAR76818.jpg

American soldiers ride on an army jeep and are greeted by jubilant civilians through Naples after the city's liberation, September 30, 1946. Note the flag of the Kingdom of Italy hung up by the pro-monarchy and anti-fascist Neapolitan civilians.

October 1, 1946: The British RAF conducts another large-scale bombing raid on Hamburg, in which the RAF drops an unprecedented total of 3000 tons of bombs on the city.

October 3, 1946: After almost a month of fighting, the city of Taranto is liberated by the Allies.

October 6, 1946: In Palermo, Allied-occupied Sicily, the Kingdom of Italy is officially reestablished with both military support and diplomatic recognition from the nations of the Allied Powers. King Umberto II is declared King of Italy, while Ferruccio Parri is made interim Prime Minister of Italy.

Ferruccio_Parri_Senato.jpg

Ferruccio Parri

October 9, 1946: The Battle of Aachen ends in an Allied victory. In the aftermath of the battle, a massive German surrender takes place at Aachen, Germany.

October 11, 1946: The Slovak National Uprising ends in a victory for Nazi Germany and the Slovak State.

October 14, 1946: The newly re-established armies of the Kingdom of Italy in Sicily are sent to Allied positions in mainland Italy to fight with the Allies against the Axis throughout mainland Italy.

October 15, 1946: After weeks of consolidating their positions throughout the newly liberated Kingdom of Greece, the British, Canadian and ANZAC armies began an invasion of the Axis-held Balkans from positions throughout Greece. The Allied armies invade, in a three-pronged offensive, the Italian protectorate of Albania and the Macedonian and Thracian regions of Bulgaria, which were annexed from Yugoslavia and Greece respectively in 1941.

October 19, 1946: Soviet troops recapture Sevastopol, the main city of the Crimean Peninsula.

Sivash.jpg

Soviet soldiers crossing the Sivash Bay into the Crimean Peninsula, October, 1946

October 25, 1946: In Palermo, Sicily, the National Liberation Committee (Comitato di Liberazione Nazionale or CLN) an umbrella organization for the Italian resistance movement, is established. In practice however, it proves almost impossible for the CLN to control the activities of all of the partisans on the Italian mainland, be they communists, republicans, monarchists, or of other ideologies.

October 29, 1946: The Allies liberate Skopje, the main city of the Yugoslav region of Macedonia, for Yugoslavia and from Bulgaria. Before the Yugoslav government in exile will gain control of their former lands, the city is under the occupation of the British and British Commonwealth for the time being.

October 30, 1946: The British, Canadian and ANZAC armies begin bombarding and invading the Italian-owned Albanian capital of Tirana. Meanwhile, Albanian partisans, including communist, monarchist and republican partisans, begin a large-scale insurrection in and around Tirana.

71e844acac573b3991ae6d9f3e9a3bd8.jpg

Albanian Partisans outside of Tirana, October, 1946

November 1, 1946: In preparation for a large-scale invasion and military campaign to liberate the old Soviet capital of Moscow from German occupation, the Soviet Air Forces begin large scale air raids over German-occupied Moscow and much of the surrounding areas throughout western Russia, including on German military bases.

November 6, 1946: After an almost week-long battle, the Allies liberate the Albanian capital of Tirana from the Italian armies.

November 9, 1946: The Italian armies in Albania surrender to the Allied armies. Francesco Jacomoni di San Savino, the governor of the Italian protectorate of the Albanian Kingdom, is subsequently arrested by the British and Albanian Partisan armies.

November 10, 1946: King Zog enters Tirana in triumph. After over seven years of Italian occupation and as a protectorate of the Kingdom of Italy, the Kingdom of Albania is a sovereign nation once again.

220px-Ahmet-Zogu-1895---1961.jpg

King Zog I of Albania

November 12, 1946: The French armies re-capture the city of Strasbourg (or as it is known in German, Straßburg) from Nazi Germany. After switching hands between France and Germany for the last seventy-six years, the city is back in the possession of France for good this time.

November 15, 1946: Allied forces, including Free Yugoslavian forces, begin an invasion of Italian occupied Montenegro.

November 19, 1946: The Allied Offensive on the Sangro River in the Italian region of Abruzzo begins.

November 21, 1946: The Dnieper–Carpathian Offensive ends in a Soviet and American victory. Thus, almost all of Ukraine, save for much of the far-west of the country bordering the German General Government/German-occupied Poland, is liberated by the Soviet Union.

November 26, 1946: After an almost two month-long campaign, the German armies in the Crimea surrender to the American and Soviet armies.

November 30, 1946: After weeks of advancing throughout Thrace and Bulgaria, the Allied armies reach the outskirts of and begin bombarding the Bulgarian capital of Sofia. Thus, the Battle of Sofia begins.

December 1, 1946: The German defensive line on the Sangro River is finally broken by the continued Allied advancement and bombardment. Thus, the Sango Offensive ends in an Allied victory. On this same day, the Battle for the Bernhardt Line begins.

December 3, 1946: In the Moro River Campaign, the Allied armies begin the battle for the town of Orsogna in the Italian region of Abruzzo and north of the Sangro River.

December 4, 1946: The Battle of the Bulge, an immensely climactic, violent and bloody battle of the Second World War, begins in the Ardennes region of northern France.

625px-American_tank_destroyers.jpg

M3 90mm gun-armed American M36 tank destroyers advance to fight against the German spearhead near Werbomont, Belgium, December 8, 1946

December 7, 1946: French soldiers drive through the 'Beffort Gap' in an effort to reach the strategically important Rhine River in Nazi Germany.

December 8, 1946: The Siege of Bastogne begins.

December 9, 1946: The first Allied attack toward the town of Cassino in the Italian region of Lazio takes place.

December 13, 1946: General Omar Bradley relives the American armies, led principally by Anthony McAuliffe, fighting against the armies of Nazi Germany over the town of Bastogne in Belgium.

220px-General_of_the_Army_Omar_Bradley.jpg

Omar Bradely

210px-Anthony_McAuliffe.jpg

Anthony McAuliffe

December 14, 1946: In the Malmedy Massacre, one of the worst war crimes of the Second World War, the Waffen-SS murder in cold blood over ninety American and other Allied POWs at the town of Malmedy in Belgium. That same day, the Siege of Bastogne ends in an American victory.

December 15, 1946: After weeks of brutal winter weather fighting, the Battle of the Bulge ends in an Allied victory. After all is said and done, the Battle of the Bulge turns out to be one of the largest and bloodiest battles fought by the armies of the United States of America in all of World War II.

117th_Infantry_North_Carolina_NG_at_St._Vith_1945.jpg

American troops move past a destroyed American M5A1 "Stuart" tank on their march to recapture the town of St. Vith in Belgium, December, 1946

December 16, 1946: After weeks of bombardment and besieging, the Bulgarian capital of Sofia is captured and liberated by the Allies. Prime Minister Ivan Ivanov Bagryanov of Bulgaria surrenders to the Allies and is placed under arrest by the British armies. The Bulgarian royal family, including the nine-year old Tsar Simeon II, is placed under the protection the British Commonwealth armies. Thus, Kimon Georgiev, leader of the anti-fascist Fatherland Front, becomes interim Prime Minister of Bulgaria.

220px-K.georgiev.jpg

Kimon Georgiev

December 19, 1946: The entirety of the Kingdom of Bulgaria is liberated by the Allied Powers. On this same day, the Kingdom of Bulgaria switches sides, becomes a part of the Allied Powers and declares war on Nazi Germany and the Axis Powers.

December 24, 1946: On Christmas Eve, the Moro River Campaign and the Battle of Orsonga ends in a stalemate between the Allied and Axis armies.

December 26, 1946: The entirety of the Kingdom of Belgium is liberated by the Allied Powers from Nazi German occupation.

December 29, 1946: The Yugoslav government-in-exile, led by King Peter II and Prime Minister Ivan Šubašić, sets up its temporary capital in the newly liberated city of Skopje.

220px-Petar_II_Kara%C4%91or%C4%91evi%C4%87.jpg

Peter II of Yugoslavia

Ivan_Subasic.jpg

Ivan Šubašić

December 31, 1946: On the last day of 1946, the leaders of the nations of the Allied Powers, both political and military, hope the war will be over "by the end of 1947", as General Eisenhower puts it to President Byrnes in a telegram sent from Aachen to Washington D.C. wishing the President of the United States a Happy New Year.

Last edited:
I dread how many more lives were lost in the Eastern Front, with the war lasting much longer: and if everything between Germany and Russia is one giant ruin.

Chinese troops in Italy??? Not. Going. To. Happen. Even assuming you had troops adequately equipped, trained, and led, the Chinese are not going to send them to Italy when the communists need to be dealt with.

I dread how many more lives were lost in the Eastern Front, with the war lasting much longer: and if everything between Germany and Russia is one giant ruin.

And much higher death tolls on Holocaust. East Europe will be badly ruined long time even with Marshall Plan.

Just wondering what they will do with Germany after the war.

Pretty intresting TL altough there is some problems on plausibility.

Kick
I foresee the incoming atomic carpet-bombing of pre-war Germany, and the Japanese Home Islands. ITTL, I'd guess the US waits until they have a dozen or so bombs, and coordinates a same day strike with all 12. 8 in Germany and 4 in Japan. Death toll upwards of 2 million.
this whole timeline is rigged with im
There is an awful lot of "such and such army is victorious," but no reason why. Also, not enough attention laid to realistic timescale (as mentioned above) and logistics. I'm unconvinced the Axis could get as far as they did, and even more unconvinced the Allies would be able to push them back if they did.

I would expect governments to fall if the Axis took Gibraltar, Syria, Moscow, the Suez Canal, and large parts of Iraq. I doubt the British government (or Churchill) would survive that. FDR would probably have a heart attack. There would probably be a negotiated settlement, although given what an optimistic moron Hitler was, possibly not.
let go, this whole timeline is rigged with implausibility, internal incoherence, all kinds of AH clichès and a movie-like, videogamish style that would be unfit for a Call of duty videogame. One of the worst worls of AH I have read...apart from "hammer, sickle and mushroom clouds"...that...thing...was the worst ever

I agree this TL has been highly implausible but I have seen far worse. I can't remember the title but once someone wrote up a Japanese WWII TL where they refused to surrender and somehow managed to build V2s capable of hitting CVs at distance and jet fighters better than the P-80 and American troops were thankful that the carriers were hit. And this is no were as bad as that.

@Zoidberg12 that said I think this TL has some promise in its concept, however the execution has been lacking. If you want to hit me up with a PM I will work with you to improve this as the concept itself is something that could be built up off

let go, this whole timeline is rigged with implausibility, internal incoherence, all kinds of AH clichès and a movie-like, videogamish style that would be unfit for a Call of duty videogame. One of the worst worls of AH I have read...apart from "hammer, sickle and mushroom clouds"...that...thing...was the worst ever
Found this to be a horrible post, reported....

If you dislike it that badly just don't post instead of insulting the author

You've been told before about making your criticism constructive and not just assholish.

Kicked for a week.

Chinese troops in Italy??? Not. Going. To. Happen. Even assuming you had troops adequately equipped, trained, and led, the Chinese are not going to send them to Italy when the communists need to be dealt with.

Good point. I edited the above post to fix this point.

I also edited the incorrect date of the 1940 Meeting of Hendaye in the first post and added some things about Vichy France in the July-August, 1946 update.

@Zoidberg12 that said I think this TL has some promise in its concept, however the execution has been lacking. If you want to hit me up with a PM I will work with you to improve this as the concept itself is something that could be built up off

Hi. Once again, thanks to everyone for the constructive criticism. As of now Jim Smity, I'm focusing on finishing this timeline. After its finished, I may revamp it at some point in the future, but in the immediate future I want to either focus on some other timelines or projects of mine, including some old works, or take a short break from writing. However, if and when I do decided to revamp this revamp of a revamp (which is pretty funny when I think about it), I will hit you up with a PM so that we could maybe work on it together.

Hi. Once again, thanks to everyone for the constructive criticism. As of now Jim Smity, I'm focusing on finishing this timeline. After its finished, I may revamp it at some point in the future, but in the immediate future I want to either focus on some other timelines or projects of mine, including some old works, or take a short break from writing. However, if and when I do decided to revamp this revamp of a revamp (which is pretty funny when I think about it), I will hit you up with a PM so that we could maybe work on it together.
When ever you are game hit me up

January 1, 1947: The Italian and German armies in Montenegro surrender to the Allied armies and the Free Yugoslavian forces. As a result, Montenegro is liberated from Italian occupation.

January 5, 1947: The last German armies in southwestern France, near the town of Bordeaux in the region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, surrender to the French armies and the Allied Powers.

January 12, 1947: The entirety of the Principality of Luxembourg is liberated by the Allied Powers from Nazi German occupation.

January 14, 1947: A month after the liberation of Belgium, Prince Charles, Count of Flanders, the regent of Belgium, enters Brussels.

5529_134417258472.jpg

Prince Charles, Count of Flanders

January 15, 1947: The Battle for the Bernhardt Line in southern Italy ends in an Allied victory.

January 19, 1947: The US 5 Army offensive along the Gustav line in southern Italy begins.

January 22, 1947: In an effort to expedite victory on the Italian front, the Allies land at the beaches outside of Anzio in the region of Lazio in Italy and behind the German battle lines at Cassino.

Landing_at_Anzio.jpg

Soldiers of the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division landing on the beaches outside of Anzio, Italy, January, 1947

January 24, 1947: A stalemate between the armies of the Axis and Allied powers begins along the Gustav Line in Italy.

January 25, 1947: Operation Bagration, named after the Georgian-Russian Napoleonic general Pyotr Bagration and the Soviet liberation of German-occupied Moscow, western Russia, Belarus and the Baltics, begins. The Soviet armies invade the aforementioned German-occupied regions from western Russia, northwestern Russia, Leningrad and northern Ukraine.

January 30, 1947: The introduction of the world’s first Jet Heavy Bomber, the B-46 Stratojet [1], is made by the United States Army Air Corps in an army base outside of Naples.

300px-NNSA-NSO-990.jpg

The Boeing B-46 Stratojet

February 5, 1947: The German army conducts the first counter-attack against the Allied invasion of the Anzio beachheads, which devastating loses for the Allied armies.

February 6, 1947: The Netherlands is completely liberated by the Allied Powers from Nazi German occupation. Queen Wilhelmina subsequently enters Amsterdam and is greeted by hundreds of jubilant citizens and soldiers.

latest

Queen Wilhelmina

February 9, 1947: On the Balkan Front, the American, British, Canadian and Australian air forces begin a series of large-scale air raids over the German-occupied Serbian capital of Belgrade and the Croatian capital of Zagreb.

February 12, 1947: The aforementioned stalemate in Italy is broken by American B-46 Stratojets, which quickly decimate their German counterparts in a series of aerial engagements over numerous days.

February 13-February 17, 1947: In a controversial decision, the Allied air forces continually bomb the monastery at Monte Cassino, near the town of Cassino, in an effort to dislodge the German and Fascist Italian armies and garrisons from their entrenched positions.

240px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2005-0004%2C_Italien%2C_Monte_Cassino.jpg

The ruins of the Monastery of Monte Cassino, February, 1947

monte-cassino.jpg

A modern-day photograph of the Monastery of Monte Cassino

February 16, 1947: The German army conducts the second counter-attack against the Allied invasion of the Anzio beachheads. The battle ends in a stalemate for both sides.

February 21, 1947: The Soviet offensive in the Balkans begins with an invasion of Romania. Thus, the Jassy–Kishinev Offensive begins.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J24359%2C_Rum%C3%A4nien%2C_Kolonne_von_Panzer_V_%28Panther%29.2.jpg

Vehicles and Panther tanks of the Grossdeutschland division en route to engage the Soviet army, February, 1947

February 27, 1947: After less than a week, the German-Romanian front in northeastern Romania collapses under the might of the superior Soviet advance.

February 28, 1947: The Second Battle of Monte Cassino, also known as Operation Avenger, begins.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-577-1917-08%2C_Monte_Cassino%2C_Fallschirmj%C3%A4ger_mit_Granatwerfer.jpg

German paratroopers defending their positions at Monte Cassino, March, 1947

220px-Santa_Maria_Infante001.jpg

American soldiers fighting the German armies near Monte Cassino, March, 1947

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[1] The OTL Boeing B-47 Stratojet

March 1, 1947: After months of preparation and Soviet advances against the German invaders, the Second Battle of Moscow begins.

March 5, 1947: In the Romanian capital of Bucharest, King Michael's Coup takes place when the young King Micheal of Romania, along with several Romanian politicians from different political parties, launch a coup against the fascist and Nazi-allied government of Conducător Ion Antonescu. The coup is successful and Antonescu is subsequently placed under house arrest. Constantin Sănătescu then becomes the interim Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Romania.

220px-Ion_Antonescu.jpg

Ion Antonescu

220px-Mihai.jpg

King Micheal of Romania

220px-ConstantinSanatescu.jpg

Constantin Sănătescu

March 6, 1947: Romania surrenders to and signs an armistice with the Soviet Union and the other Allied Powers. Thus, the Jassy–Kishinev Offensive ends in an Soviet victory after almost two weeks.

March 10, 1947: The Allied armies open a new offensive against the Gustav line in southern Italy.

March 12, 1947: The Treaty of Bucharest is signed between Romania and the Allied Powers. According to the treaty, Romania gets to retain the region of Moldova, but the Soviet Union re-annexes part of the southern part of Bessarabia that was annexed to the Ukranian SSR of the Soviet Union back in 1940. The Kingdom of Romania also officially switches sides and joins the Allies in World War II.

March 15, 1947: The second Allied attempt to capture the monastery of Monte Cassino begins.

March 18, 1947: After weeks of fighting, divisions of Polish soldiers fighting with the British armies, led by General Władysław Anders, capture the Italian town of Cassino. Thus, the Second Battle of Monte Cassino ends in an Allied victory. The aforementioned victory then opens up the road to Rome for the Allied armies.

250px-Wladyslaw_Anders.jpg

Władysław Anders

Monte_Cassino_transport.jpg

Polish soldiers carry ammunition to the front lines of battle just before the capture of the Monastery of Monte Cassino, March 18, 1947

March 19, 1947: As a result of recent Allied victories in southern Italy, the German armies withdraw from the Gustav Line to the Adolf Hitler Line.

March 20, 1947: After a lengthy naval blockade, the Channel Islands are recaptured and liberated by the British Royal Marines from the weakened occupation forces of Nazi Germany.

March 21, 1947: The Battle of Belgrade begins as the British Commonwealth armies, along with American and Yugoslav partisan support, besiege the German garrisons outside of the aforementioned city of Belgrade.

March 24, 1947: The German armies retreat from the region around the town of Anzio. Thus, the Battle of Anzio, in spite of initial Allied setbacks, ends in an Allied victory.

March 28, 1947: The Allied armies, including British Commonwealth, American, Free Yugoslavian and Yugoslav partisans, begin an invasion of the Nazi German puppet state of the Independent State of Croatia.

March 30, 1947: George II of Greece dies of arteriosclerosis at the Royal Palace in Athens. As a result, his younger brother Paul becomes King Paul of Greece.

george_II_greece_large.jpg

George II of Greece (7/19/1890-3/30/1947, aged 56)

220px-Paul_I_of_Greece.jpg

Paul of Greece

April 5, 1947: In the aftermath of the battles of Anzio and Monte Cassino, the forces of the United States Marines Corps enter and liberate Rome. Thus, the Kingdom of Italy is back in control of their capital of Rome and the citizens of Rome greet the Allied forces as liberators.

American-troops-roll-Past-Colosseum.jpg

The jubilant citizens of Rome greet American soldiers outside of the Coliseum in Rome, April 5, 1947

Allied_Forces_in_Rome%2C_June_1944_TR1852.jpg

Allied and Royal Italian forces in Rome in the aftermath of the liberation of Rome, April, 1947

April 6, 1947: After weeks of advancing through the Independent State of Croatia, the British Commonwealth begins besieging Sarajevo, the main city of the region of Bosnia.

April 8, 1947: The last regions of Ukraine under German-occupation are finally liberated by the Soviet armies. This leaves the Soviet Red Army on the border of German-occupied Poland.

April 12, 1947: The Estonian capital of Tallinn is liberated by the Soviet Red Army.

April 16, 1947: Belgrade, capital of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, is liberated by the Allied Powers. The residents of the city greet the Allied soldiers and Yugoslav partisans as liberators.

April 18, 1947: The Soviet Red Army liberates the entirety of Estonia.

April 22, 1947: The Yugoslav government-in-exile moves its capital from Skopje to the newly liberated Yugoslav and Serbian capital city of Belgrade.

April 25, 1947: A stalemate ensues between the Soviet Red Army and the German Wehrmacht in German-occupied Latvia.

April 30, 1947: Under protection from the Allied armies, Prince Umberto is officially crowned as King Umberto II of Italy at St. Peters Basilica, in Vatican City, Rome.

May 1, 1947: In the German General Government/German-occupied Poland, the Warsaw Uprising begins with support from the Polish Underground State, the Polish Resistance and the Soviet, American and British air forces.

Warsaw_Uprising_by_Deczkowki_-_Kolegium_A_-15861.jpg

Polish Home Army soldiers on Stawki Street in the Wola District of Warsaw, May, 1947

May 5, 1947: On the Western Front, the climactic, massive and multi-pronged Battle of the Rhine begins.

May 8, 1947: The Soviet and American air forces air drop weapons, ammunition, food and other supplies to Polish partisans in and around German-occupied Warsaw.

May 13, 1947: In what would come to be known as the 13 May plot, Adolf Hitler is violently killed by a bomb in his bunker, the Wolf's Lair field headquarters near Rastenburg, East Prussia, at the age of 58. As a result, Herman Göring succeeds the assassinated Adolf Hitler as the Führer of the German Reich. The perpetrators of the aforementioned assassination remain unknown for the rest of the war, as Germany is too busy fighting a last ditch effort to save what remains of its empire to conduct a formal investigation into the assassination.

220px-Hitler_portrait_crop.jpg

(Adolf Hitler, 4/20/1889-5/13/1947, aged 58)

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-15607%2C_Potsdam%2C_G%C3%B6ring.jpg

Herman Göring, the second Führer of the German Reich

May 15, 1947: After a months long and brutal battle, General Georgy Zhukov and the Soviet armies triumphantly liberate and enter the Soviet and Russian capital of Moscow. As General Zhukov enters Moscow, the general and his Red Army soldiers are given a hero’s welcome by the beleaguered citizens of Moscow. Thus, after six years, the capital of the Soviet Union is finally liberated and is back under Soviet control. Later that day, a massive Red Army victory parade is held in Moscow in the aftermath of the aforementioned liberation.

7c5fcc9dcb39a0ee7aac16aca0229db6.jpg

Soviet Red Army soldiers show off Nazi German war flags as war trophies during the Moscow Liberation Day Parade, May 15, 1947

159556795.jpg

General Zhukov riding on horseback during the Moscow Liberation Day Parade, May 15, 1947

320px--Victoy_Parade_1945.ogv.jpg

The Red Army parades through Moscow during the Liberation Day Parade, May 15, 1947

May 18, 1947: The British and American armies enter the Bosnian city of Sarajevo, the city which saw the start of the First World War almost thirty-three years previously. After intense urban combat between British and Croatian-German forces, the British finally liberate Sarajevo from the Independent State of Croatia and for the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

May 20, 1947: In the aftermath of Hitler’s assassination, the Allied air forces air drop weapons, ammunition, food and other supplies to partisans in German-occupied Denmark and Norway.

9e5bc2435821cf3571f26ffeba3c6386.jpg

Norwegian partisans in German-occupied Norway, circa 1945

May 21, 1947: In the aftermath of the 13 May plot and with increasing Allied victories on all fronts, German general Walter Model, one of the main German generals of the Battle of the Rhine, commits suicide with a handgun at his headquarters outside of Koblenz.

220px-W_Model225x300.jpg

Walter Model (1/24/1891-5/21/1947, aged 56)

May 25, 1947: With the liberation of Ukraine and Moscow, the Soviet Red Army begins a limited campaign into German-occupied Poland.

May 29, 1947: Not long after the liberation of Moscow, all of Russia is finally liberated by the Soviet Red Army from Nazi Germany, save for a few scattered pockets of disorganized and desperate German resistance in the remote forest regions of western Russia.

May 30, 1947: The Soviet Red Army liberates much of eastern Belarus through a series of invasions from northern Ukraine and western Russia.

May 31, 1947: Soviet, American and Romanian armies begin an invasion of the Nazi German-allied Kingdom of Hungary through an invasion of Hungarian Transylvania.

nbcman

Donor
Why did the Soviets invade the Balkans and the Baltics plus advance to the pre-war Polish border when Moscow was still occupied until mid May 1947?

Why did the Soviets invade the Balkans and the Baltics plus advance to the pre-war Polish border when Moscow was still occupied until mid May 1947?

The German armies in Moscow were increasingly weak and the Soviets wanted to surround them on other fronts.