A chicken starts WW3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_peacock

During the fifties, the British miltary, in their wisdom saw fit to order nuclear land mines, yes you heard me right, ten-kiloton nuclear mines that had an eight second fuse if tampered with. Now these mines were to have live chickens in the casing to keep the bombs warm enough during the winter.

The order was later cancelled by the Army, probably due to it being clinically insane. Now what if the order was not cancelled, and ten of these bombs were planted throughout north Germany. Furthermore, suppose one of the casings was slightly faulty and the chicken managed to set it off?

Does this lead to an almost non-asb way of having a chicken starting a nuclear holocaust? What are the implications if war is somehow averted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_peacock

During the fifties, the British miltary, in their wisdom saw fit to order nuclear land mines, yes you heard me right, ten-kiloton nuclear mines that had an eight second fuse if tampered with. Now these mines were to have live chickens in the casing to keep the bombs warm enough during the winter.

<SNIP>

uppose one of the casings was slightly faulty and the chicken managed to set it off?

Does this lead to an almost non-asb way of having a chicken starting a nuclear holocaust? What are the implications if war is somehow averted?

Things would be fowled up if the chicken set off the bomb.

If disaster is averted, I see the chicken replacing the dove as the symbol of peace and redemption. People would ask, "Which came first: the chicken or the bomb?"

Things would be fowled up if the chicken set off the bomb.

If disaster is averted, I see the chicken replacing the dove as the symbol of peace and redemption. People would ask, "Which came first: the chicken or the bomb?"
Ah, but would fowl play be suspected by the Warsaw Pact?

A chicken could easily peck at some of the wires inside the bomb, possibly detonating it. I assume that if they were dumb enough to come up with nuclear chicken land mines, they were too dumb to think about that possibility.

Also:

facepalm.jpg

MrP

Banned
I've brooded on this for a few minutes, and it seems to me that the chicken is functioning as a form of battery. One can only assume the designer had been driven mad, perhaps by a hen-pecking wife. At any rate, his mind had clearly flown the coop. I think we can all agree that it's a good thing that the Army chickened out of implementing this feather-brained idea.

KFC has a field day........ and then is promptly shut down after the entire population of Vermont comes down with radiation sickness.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this does the legend about Mrs. O'Leary's cow starting the great Chicago fire one better. A lot better. ;)

well, it would be chickens coming home to roost for such stupidity, as well as it being roosting.

Th British government will have a fun time explaining why it put live nuclear bombs ready to go off at any moment in an allied nation. They would be accused of being way too cocky.

it was not the chicken Idea who cancel the Blue Peacock
it was the change in British policy, how to use nuclear weapons on allied territory

On the subject of control of nuclear weapons, I don't know what would be better, Kim Jong-il or a chicken. The jury's still out on this one.