A British plane that never left the drawing board.

But what if it had? And if Airpeed had built them in numbers? Here is a Youtube video about a very strange design. Would it have been rubbish? It certainly looks like it would've been easy to bail out of, fortunately. Well, if not good for anything else it could've been used for photo-reconnaissance. Right?

After some thought I've concluded the A.S. 31 resembles the bastard love-child of a Hurricane and an Edgley Optica.
300px-Edgley_Optica_Sywell_1.jpg
300px-Hawker_Hurricane_I_%27R4118_UP-W%27_%28G-HUPW%29_%2841455530471%29.jpg

"We can't stop here, this is batshit country!"

Yeah, the video pretty much captured all of the obvious issues I'd foreseen: yaw, visibility, CG, G-forces, not to mention the vulnerability of the pilot to attacks from the rear. I can't see anything shy of blatant corruption seeing this implemented beyond the prototype stage.

But honesty, not as wild as some of the design studies that were floating around in Germany at that time..... Of course, design studies were just that: studies, mostly forced upon the new engineers to give them a taste of the real world before getting them into the real design teams.

What the hell is that?
the Airpeed AS.31 aka Airspeed F.35/35. a proposal for The British specification 35/35, what became the Spitfire.
they look into proposal and rejected it, one for missing rudder or fin surface, the other the pilot would endure higher G-forces in gondola.