A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

When the Jewish move to Palestine happens because of the horror of this TL's Holocaust (which even if a third of OTL, is still absolutely horrific) this means that Stalin by opening the faucet for Jews to go to Palestine can make Palestine even less governable than OTL. I even raised the possibility that in trying to keep Palestine from being flooded by Jews that a side effect could make Cyprus Plurality Jewish at least for a short amount of time!
I have to disagree with this part of your analysis. While ATL's Holocaust is for all practical purposes just as horrific as OTL's one, I think for West-European Jews the feeling of fear and abandonment is not going to be the same. OTL you had local authorities in different shapes or form aiding the deportations, neighbours and countrymen betraying Jews and razzia's in their own neighbourhoods. Then when the survivors came back from the camps, there was preciois few sympathy in society's where there was a scarceness in everything. ATL this would not be the case. While the West-European Jews will be shocked and angered, they will be far less terrified I imagine.

@pdf27 : great work as always, much appreciated.

Ramontxo

Donor
I have to disagree with this part of your analysis. While ATL's Holocaust is for all practical purposes just as horrific as OTL's one, I think for West-European Jews the feeling of fear and abandonment is not going to be the same. OTL you had local authorities in different shapes or form aiding the deportations, neighbours and countrymen betraying Jews and razzia's in their own neighbourhoods. Then when the survivors came back from the camps, there was preciois few sympathy in society's where there was a scarceness in everything. ATL this would not be the case. While the West-European Jews will be shocked and angered, they will be far less terrified I imagine.

@pdf27 : great work as always, much appreciated.
As stated in an former post I desagree. TTL has been awful for the Jewish population of Germany and German controlled Eastern Europe. Particularly in Poland it has been the Greatest Progrom ever. With an staggering number of victims. Still (imho) it is several degrees under the absolute horror the industrialised Holocaust was

Regarding the Holocaust, prior to Barbarossa, the number of Jews killed was on the order of a couple hundred thousand. Most of the victims perished in the ghettos of Poland due to malnutrition, disease, overwork etc. Since the Reich in this timeline collapses in early 1942, I doubt the number would reach seven figures. The ATL Reich has a lot fewer resources to devote towards genocide, and the specific series of events needed to culminate in OTL's Final Solution won't happen.
Agreed. Same with Atlantic Charter and US entering the war, as impetus for industrialised Final Solution.

Just one thing. You have mentioned previously that you have a lot of work on how somethings (Aviation Engineering and many others) would develop on this TL fifties and sixties. If you ever despair of following this TL would you mind providing an access to your notes? In any case thanks a lot for your work.
If I decide to give up writing I'll just post the lot. Right now we're about 2/3 through what I've written - things might actually accelerate after the next few updates (yeah, right!) as the end of the war is a big gap in what I've written and I wanted to do justice to it. Postwar I actually find a lot easier.

Given what the Germans have been up to in Poland, not a chance. Poles will demand a militarily defensible border which means removing the ability of Germany to attack from 2 sides ( and even with all of East Prussia included in its new borders, Poland is still a net loser in territory in terms of km2 ) . Same with population transfers , once the word of the Holocaust spreads, no one will bat a lid about Germans being forced out.
I think the starting point will be Polish forces occupying Germany.

There have not been an holocaust. Germany is defeated and shall (probably) lose some more core Territories but is free from the wholesale destruction brought by Bomber Command and the US Army Air Corps. The Nazi Party has been totally discredited, having committed horrible crimes (specially in Poland) but Germany is delivered from the eternal shame of the Holocaust. There is no way that another Stab in the Back myth can survive French and British Army Corps racing through the Heimat. This why I described this TL as the best German Wank on the whole of Alt History
There very much has been a Holocaust, in that Operation Reinhardt has started earlier than OTL. Bełżec was still build ITTL, and I see no reason for it to even have as many survivors as the 7 OTL survivors from the 4-500,000 murdered there in OTL.

I think Saarland is going to France at the very least, and the Rhineland will probably be under occupation. Not sure about Poland but I would not be surprised if it end up looking very similar to today Poland.
The whole of Germany is going to be occupied as a starting point.

There were a number of responses and discussion from it, and some minor tweaks, but I don't think the Author had a problem with the estimate. (And I don't remember if Slovakia actually sent their Jews, that might affect things in post-war relations)
Seems reasonable to me.

Ohhh, so that was what the Deutsche Bahn was planning for all along...
SNCF actually. Just under 1,000 miles by TGV and Eurostar. Not all that much slower than car + aeroplane, and I'm feeling much less tired for it.

Unfortunately in OTL when Germany started losing it turned up the ovens. The Nazi mindset does seem to have been , if we are going down so are the Jews. A lot of Jews were, pre Barbarossa, as far as the Nazi's were concerned, being kept alive for use as future slave labour. Without that need they would unfortunately do. worse than OTL.
There are lots of theories as to why they shifted to outright extermination. Mine (taken from Wages of Destruction if I remember correctly) is that the original plan was to work the Jewish population of Europe to death in the East after Russia was conquered. By 1942 when it became apparent this wasn't going to happen any time soon, they shifted to mass extermination instead.
Applying that logic here instead, the failure to knock out the French and expel the British from the continent means that Barbarossa is off the menu indefinitely. This being the case, I think the shift to mass murder will happen much earlier (the Wannsee conference is 12 months earlier ITTL). Operation Reinhardt goes ahead as planned, but the far smaller Jewish population under German control and their proximity to the extermination camps means that they're fed through the extermination camps much earlier and there are no combined labour/extermination camps like Auschwitz II. Essentially once Jews are "deported" they'll find themselves at one of the Reinhardt camps within days and then be murdered within hours.

Looks like the peace treaty is coming up soon.
Well, peace at least. A treaty implies some sort of negotiation, which by now is rather redundant!

Unfortunately in OTL when Germany started losing it turned up the ovens. The Nazi mindset does seem to have been , if we are going down so are the Jews. A lot of Jews were, pre Barbarossa, as far as the Nazi's were concerned, being kept alive for use as future slave labour. Without that need they would unfortunately do. worse than OTL.
The Wannsee conference happened in Jan 1942 after which the 'liquidation of the European Jews' or in simple English organised mass murder on an industrial scale was given the green light.

And only possible due to Germanys control of the majority of Europe at a point when it did appear that Germany might actually win

Before that it was simple disorganised mass murder at a local level.

In this TL we are unlikely to see something like the the Wannsee conference happen at all and even if it did they are not in a position to act on it.

So its likely to remain disorganised mass murder at a local level - Not great but not terrible.........

The Wannsee conference happened in Jan 1942 after which the 'liquidation of the European Jews' or in simple English organised mass murder on an industrial scale was given the green light.

And only possible due to Germanys control of the majority of Europe at a point when it did appear that Germany might actually win

Before that it was simple disorganised mass murder at a local level.

In this TL we are unlikely to see something like the the Wannsee conference happen at all and even if it did they are not in a position to act on it.

So its likely to remain disorganised mass murder at a local level - Not great but not terrible.........
Totally forgetting that the German forces that invaded Poland already were carrying a list of those to kill.... Sorry Holocaust did not start in 1942 , it just got made more efficient, it already was going on and was pretty organised ( as far as Nazi's went with their social Darwinism meaning multiple groups working in competition )

When I look at this timeline I realise how trully disastrous the fall of France trully was in OTL for Europe and arguably the world, how it alllowed Nazis Germany to cause death and destruction on an scale not seen before.

Totally forgetting that the German forces that invaded Poland already were carrying a list of those to kill.... Sorry Holocaust did not start in 1942 , it just got made more efficient, it already was going on and was pretty organised ( as far as Nazi's went with their social Darwinism meaning multiple groups working in competition )

Jews as a group were not targeted for murder during the invasion of Poland. Germany's primary victim in 1939-1940 were the Polish intelligentsia, who were to be annihilated by thr SS. The Germans also carried out murders of civilians as reprisals to resistance actions. While Jews were killed in these murders, they were not killed for being Jewish. At this early point in the war, Polish Jews were herded into ghettos, where they lived a wretched, horrifying existence. The Nazis had no certain longterm plan for what to do with them. Possibilities included setting up a "reservation" somewhere in the General Government, for example. It also should be noted that only Polish Jews were forced into ghettos at this time.

The order by Hitler to kill all of the Jews under their control OTL was likely given in December 1941 (when Germany declared war on the US and the Jews thus lost any potential value the Nazis might've viewed them as having as hostages to deter the US from entering the war) or a few months beforehand. I'm not sure if/when a similar order by Hitler would be given ITTL.

Jews as a group were not targeted for murder during the invasion of Poland. Germany's primary victim in 1939-1940 were the Polish intelligentsia, who were to be annihilated by thr SS. The Germans also carried out murders of civilians as reprisals to resistance actions. While Jews were killed in these murders, they were not killed for being Jewish. At this early point in the war, Polish Jews were herded into ghettos, where they lived a wretched, horrifying existence. The Nazis had no certain longterm plan for what to do with them. Possibilities included setting up a "reservation" somewhere in the General Government, for example. It also should be noted that only Polish Jews were forced into ghettos at this time.

With respect author had years ago written down that the realisation that they can't use the jews as salve labour resulted in them going full genocide so unless you want them to retcon years of what they have written what you're expressing is a moot point.

Edit

This is what pdf posted four posts above you.

There are lots of theories as to why they shifted to outright extermination. Mine (taken from Wages of Destruction if I remember correctly) is that the original plan was to work the Jewish population of Europe to death in the East after Russia was conquered. By 1942 when it became apparent this wasn't going to happen any time soon, they shifted to mass extermination instead.
Applying that logic here instead, the failure to knock out the French and expel the British from the continent means that Barbarossa is off the menu indefinitely. This being the case, I think the shift to mass murder will happen much earlier (the Wannsee conference is 12 months earlier ITTL). Operation Reinhardt goes ahead as planned, but the far smaller Jewish population under German control and their proximity to the extermination camps means that they're fed through the extermination camps much earlier and there are no combined labour/extermination camps like Auschwitz II. Essentially once Jews are "deported" they'll find themselves at one of the Reinhardt camps within days and then be murdered within hours.

Last edited:
After confirmation that French troops are occupying the north side of the Brenner Pass, the Italian airborne attack on Innsbruck scheduled for the following morning is cancelled.
How sad. The Italians joining the pile on would have made describing this timeline to people much more fun.

How sad. The Italians joining the pile on would have made describing this timeline to people much more fun.
We (sick puppies that we are) weren't looking for the Italians to pile on the Germans, we were looking for the Italians to attack, kill/injure French soldiers and end up at war with a well armed entente...

OK from a Geographic standpoint, I *think* this is the current situation.
The areas that the Entente and "Allies" haven't taken from the 3R at this time are.
1) Berlin. The British could probably simply destroy that square mile, but I think they'd rather have someone who can surrender the 3R.
2) Southeast Austria. France has reached the Brenner Pass (the Italian border in SW Austria) and met up with the Hungarians upstream of Vienna in NE Austria . It is possible depending on the weather conditions that they might not be able to make it into Graz and/or the Yugoslav border on the following day (the 12th), but that is Mother Nature, not the Nazis slowing them down.
3) East Prussia. Yay for British Protection, the Brits will get slowed down by Germans wanting to come with them!
4) Poland, Unfortunately, the British can't carry the coal needed by the Poles with them, the best the British can do at the moment is make sure that it is the German Soldiers in the unheated buildings with thin blankets rather than the Poles. Unclear what the best way to ship coal into Poland in the short term, in the Baltic, across Germany (without going through Berlin?), a southern route through Slovakia/Romania? (I'm presuming that asking Stalin isn't going to be *that* useful) The primary question is whether is any place that ZWZ doesn't want the British because the ZWZ is having an advanced case of Payback toward the Nazis?

With respect author had years ago written down that the realisation that they can't use the Jews as slave labour resulted in them going full genocide so unless you want them to retcon years of what they have written what you're expressing is a moot point.
To be fair I probably did write that in about 2018 or something ridiculous. Note to self, really should write faster.

Fun for the audience, yes. Much harder for the author however!

As I mentioned some time ago, you’re still doing better than George RR Martin.
I believe that's known as "damning with faint praise"!

OK from a Geographic standpoint, I *think* this is the current situation.
The areas that the Entente and "Allies" haven't taken from the 3R at this time are.
1) Berlin. The British could probably simply destroy that square mile, but I think they'd rather have someone who can surrender the 3R.
They aren't going to wait around though. In 24-48 hours the inhabitants of the Reich Chancellery and the Bendlerblock are going to wake up and find British tanks on their lawns.

2) Southeast Austria. France has reached the Brenner Pass (the Italian border in SW Austria) and met up with the Hungarians upstream of Vienna in NE Austria . It is possible depending on the weather conditions that they might not be able to make it into Graz and/or the Yugoslav border on the following day (the 12th), but that is Mother Nature, not the Nazis slowing them down.
Yep, Most of the juniors just want to go home and the seniors are practicing their Yodelling skills to pretend that they are just locals.

3) East Prussia. Yay for British Protection, the Brits will get slowed down by Germans wanting to come with them!
Not especially - they're still limited by motor fuel above all else, and East Prussia is a hell of a long way from Hamburg through very recently occupied territory.

4) Poland, Unfortunately, the British can't carry the coal needed by the Poles with them, the best the British can do at the moment is make sure that it is the German Soldiers in the unheated buildings with thin blankets rather than the Poles. Unclear what the best way to ship coal into Poland in the short term, in the Baltic, across Germany (without going through Berlin?), a southern route through Slovakia/Romania? (I'm presuming that asking Stalin isn't going to be *that* useful) The primary question is whether is any place that ZWZ doesn't want the British because the ZWZ is having an advanced case of Payback toward the Nazis?
Nearest source of coal is Upper Silesia. Getting that transported shouldn't be all that hard - the railways still exist and will have been set up to move the coal pre-war since the mines are largely in what was pre-war Polish territory. However, they're massively disorganised by the demands of the German war economy so will take a little while to untangle.
The ZWZ being under the control of the Sikorski government which was until recently in exile isn't going to tolerate private revenge. They now own the judicial system, remember, and the British are more than happy to see Germans guilty of war crimes go through the Polish civil courts. With Stalin being a major preoccupation, they want to portray the image of a robust government as fast and strongly as possible. Additionally, any British troops between them and the RKKA are clearly beneficial to them.

Fantastic to see this back! you've been sorely missed pdf27!
Thanks. I've not gone away. but writing has been very hard.

Stalin didn't invade Poland from the east, now when collapse of Third Reich was obvious?
Ran out of time. The Soviet system isn't terribly flexible, so the Warsaw Uprising and following Entente offensive across Germany caught them by surprise. Note that Stalin is also not a gambler - he's won massively out of WW2 while taking very few risks, and isn't minded to gamble those gains away in exchange for a large number of troublesome Poles.
Note also that Germany has collapsed completely in a couple of weeks - that's only possible because the Entente had massive armies in the field ready to go and Germany was hurt far worse than anybody realised.

Hmm, it seems strange to me that Stalin wasn't ready to take advantage of eventual crumbling of Germany. After all, all he has to do is to mop weak German forces in Poland and "liberate" as much as possible of Poland.

Hmm, it seems strange to me that Stalin wasn't ready to take advantage of eventual crumbling of Germany. After all, all he has to do is to mop weak German forces in Poland and "liberate" as much as possible of Poland.
If the logistics don't follow and the Russians wind up in a shooting war with the English, it would endanger all of Stalin's gains.