A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

Hitler though already met very epic end ITTL, if I remember correctly. ;)

Quite possibly, although it has never been strictly mentioned.

You never know, the Allies may reach his hospital before "Herr Schmidt" gets Aktion-T4'd. Even though they may be none the wiser.

I know you killed of Roald Dahl (this upset me a lot, by the way, but I suppose I can forgive you :)), but as has already been discussed his works could well be replaced by the works of some-one who died in our Timeline. Would it be possible at some future date to give them at least a passing reference?

Last edited:
@SGallay

22nd December 1941
Having failed to show any signs of regaining conciousness from his head wound, Wolfgang Schmidt is transferred from the Martin-Luther-Krankenhaus in Berlin to the Landes-Heil-und Pflegeanstalt in Bernburg for nursing care.

How long does it take to kill people there? It's already been five days.

I know you killed of Roald Dahl (this upset me a lot, by the way, but I suppose I can forgive you :)), but as has already been discussed his works could well be replaced by the works of some-one who died in our Timeline. Would it be possible at some future date to give them at least a passing reference?
Stephen Haggard isn't likely to be killed in 1943 TTL or John Jarmain in 1944. Alun Lewis, Keith Douglas, Timothy Corsellis, Sidney Keyes...

How long does it take to kill people there? It's already been five days.

I've got another question. The transfer took place from Berlin to Bernburg a roughly 550km trip at a time when the German military is so short of fuel that it can't really keep up with the entente. Would the transfer of a comatose patient be a high enough priority to burn that much fuel?

I've got another question. The transfer took place from Berlin to Bernburg a roughly 550km trip at a time when the German military is so short of fuel that it can't really keep up with the entente. Would the transfer of a comatose patient be a high enough priority to burn that much fuel?
It’s Nazi Germany. They found enough transport to transwer Hungarian Jews while fronts were falling appart in 1944.

Artaxerxes

Banned
Just because it states he was transferred there doesn't mean he'll make it there.

Probably dumped in a cattle car with a hundred others and sitting in a siding somewhere. It'll be ironic if he survives the next week or two and he's picked up and rescued by the red cross/allies before he does cark it.

More likely he's on the bottom of a pile of frozen bodies and will thaw out in spring.

Last edited:

Bernburg is quite close to Magdeburg, which was just captured by the British.
I imagine the staff would have already run away, so there is a chance Hitler is still alive, although most likely he was one of the last to be gassed

Dageraad

Donor
How about the mayors of Bremen and Hamburg declaring their cities to be open cities?

As the telephone lines are very much intact no doubt they know about were the front is, and will be in a weeks time.
Both cities have a tradition of being free cities within the German state (they still are),
This has not been a war with a lot of cities razed from the air,
Propaganda has not evolved to the point that they should "enjoy the war, as peace will be horrible".
The strong men of the regime are missing, gone or compromised.
They too do not want to be the last ones to die in this war and in the OTL Hamburg declared itself an open city on the 3rd of may 1945.

And the allies woudl be very interested.

What's going on right now in the Action Reinhard death camps - Treblinka and Sobibor (Belzec was captured by the Poles)?
What about Auschwitz, Majdanek and Chelmno?
Are trains with Jews still arriving?
Is the staff there aware of the imminent collapse of Germany? Are they dismantling the camps?
Are the inmates aware of the situation and planing a revolt? OTL there were uprisings in Treblinka, Sobibor and Auschwitz.

I have the feeling that pdf27 will never tell us and will leave it a mystery.
I can imagine an epilogue, in 1951, when "Herr Schmidt" eventually wakes up. He claims to be the Führer and gets moved from his hospital to a geriatric clinic and diagnosed with severe dementia. A doctor eventually says to a nurse that it's not the first such case in post-war Germany.

I can imagine an epilogue, in 1951, when "Herr Schmidt" eventually wakes up. He claims to be the Führer and gets moved from his hospital to a geriatric clinic and diagnosed with severe dementia. A doctor eventually says to a nurse that it's not the first such case in post-war Germany.

It's not a perfect fit but your idea does remind me of the movie, "The Emperor's new clothes."
Namely the scene where the real Napoleon is tricked into entering the grounds of a French lunatic asylum full of Napoleon wannabees. It was a ploy to get rid of him.

Last edited:
Maybe - I haven't written anything like this yet, but there will be major changes - particularly in the Soviet Union.

Trains are still running, sort of. It's the sort of thing I could see them doing.

It’s Nazi Germany. They found enough transport to transwer Hungarian Jews while fronts were falling appart in 1944.
That too.

How about the mayors of Bremen and Hamburg declaring their cities to be open cities?

As the telephone lines are very much intact no doubt they know about were the front is, and will be in a weeks time.
Both cities have a tradition of being free cities within the German state (they still are),
This has not been a war with a lot of cities razed from the air,
Propaganda has not evolved to the point that they should "enjoy the war, as peace will be horrible".
The strong men of the regime are missing, gone or compromised.
They too do not want to be the last ones to die in this war and in the OTL Hamburg declared itself an open city on the 3rd of may 1945.

And the allies woudl be very interested.
It's possible - I'll think about it. The initial cities were too close to the front, and places like Berlin too much under the thumb of the leadership, but Hamburg at least is plausible and would have a huge impact on the campaign as it would open up the Elbe.

What's going on right now in the Action Reinhard death camps - Treblinka and Sobibor (Belzec was captured by the Poles)?
What about Auschwitz, Majdanek and Chelmno?
Are trains with Jews still arriving?
Is the staff there aware of the imminent collapse of Germany? Are they dismantling the camps?
Are the inmates aware of the situation and planing a revolt? OTL there were uprisings in Treblinka, Sobibor and Auschwitz.
Treblinka and Sobibor will have murdered the last of the Jewish inmates (Sonderkommandos), and either blown the place up and run like hell for the nearest garrison to try and launder their identities or be hunkering down and hoping it all blows over. I haven't decided which yet. I've assumed that fewer camps would be required since with no Barbarossa the total number of murders required will be much lower. That means Chełmno and Majdanek never come into existence, and Auschwitz I is a camp for Polish political prisoners and the like.

Actually, all is revealed in March 1952 - well, at the moment anyway.

It's possible - I'll think about it. The initial cities were too close to the front, and places like Berlin too much under the thumb of the leadership, but Hamburg at least is plausible and would have a huge impact on the campaign as it would open up the Elbe.
If Bremen and Hamburg do so, the natural next domino is Lubeck and *that* will cut the Nazis in Schleswig-Holstein and Denmark off from the rest of Germany.

Too late, Himmler shot the last survivor a few days ago.

Great, now I'm dying to know what happens in March 1952... you'd better not give up on this timeline when the war is finished!* I guess since everyone in the know is dead there must be a written record -- a paper trail to prove Herr Schmidt's identity to Himmler or whoever? Maybe a backup copy thereof is discovered somewhere? But what makes it believable rather than people dismissing it as a conspiracy theory forgery?!

*(The responsible adult part of me recognizes that you have your own very busy life and if you don't get to it I can learn to live with disappointment -- but the rest of me is going TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME!)