A Better Rifle at Halloween

Adolphe Kegresse was French working in Russia and building halftracks since 1906.

His track system he developed.

Model T Ford half tracks were sold in 1917 but you might have a Canadian or two see what Kegresse was doing in Russia and come up with something of his own earlier.
The Russians paired the bodies of Austin Armoured cars with his halftrack system

1709504551776.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s October it’s too early for half tracks, though perhaps they will help in the mud season. But armoured cars will get a run on the eastern front. Perhaps with a certain Russian prince

For every letter to the Times demanding Little Johnnie's regiment gets equipped with the new wonder weapons there'll be three demanding the Army stop playing with these new fangled repeating and self loading toys and get back to real soldiering by bringing back the Martini Henry or Snider rifles.
:cool: Bring back the Brown Bess

For every letter to the Times demanding Little Johnnie's regiment gets equipped with the new wonder weapons there'll be three demanding the Army stop playing with these new fangled repeating and self loading toys and get back to real soldiering by bringing back the Martini Henry or Snider rifles.

:cool: Bring back the Brown Bess

Very probably. And why not? The ideal weapon for an ambush; take one shot and then retreat under a smokescreen…
I have seen an adapter to fire a 45 ACP ( or it may have been a 45 LC) through a Martini Henry which was produced for Home Guard use. They have one in the ammo collection in the Brecon military museum. I do not know how common they were, though.

Easter Island East Asia Squadron
11th October 1914, Easter Island.

The German East Asia Squadron had come to anchor, Vice Admiral Von Spee was pleased with the pace of sailing, his colliers were in position as planned and the dirty process of coaling would commence in the morning. The colliers had no news for the squadron, beyond the fact that the people of Easter Island were unaware that the war had broken out.
The Vice Admiral had impressed on his captains that the no mention was to be made of the war, very few people lived on the island, mostly the native Rapa Nui and the sheep-farmer who leased most of the island from the Chilean Government. There was no connection to the outside world beyond the occasional visits of tramp steamers who carried away the wool and mutton. Chile claimed the Island, but the Williamson Balfour company held sway over it. There was a single government representative present, he had been received on the flagship board shortly after the squadron anchored. This man was as ignorant of what was going as everyone else, he had been surprised at the size of the squadron, but with all communications going through a single officer who spoke Spanish there was little discussion beyond the barest civilities, he had been informed that the squadron was on a redeployment exercise. Von Spee intended to complete his coaling without unduly bothering the people of the Island, he would endeavour to keep them ignorant of the true state of affairs.
They would be able to source fruit, vegetables and meat on the island as well as topping up their bunkers from the colliers, von Spee thought it would take at least a week to complete the coaling, this would enable the ships crews to go ashore and stretch their legs before continuing their voyage home.

Easter Island South Seas Squadron
11th October 1914, Near Easter Island

Vice Admiral Yamaya Tanin was sitting in his quarters aboard IJNS Kurama, the squadron Navigator had just confirmed that they would reach Easter Island the following morning, his intention was to arrive just before dawn, if the Germans were present they would either have to fight or flee. Content with his plans and the state of his crews he was ready for action.

Well, MUI the Germans were very well trained - but were the Japanese. The Japanese have the advantage of a number of their personnel having seen actual combat.

Ramontxo

Donor
The German Squadron size and composition is perfectly known to the Japanese Navy. I suspect this is going to be this TL alt Falklands battle...

we shall see how the Japanese match up with the Germans
Kurama mounts 4 modern 12”/45’s, and 8 x 8” guns fairly equivalent in range and power to the Germans 8.3” main guns. I am not sure what other ships Admiral Yamaya has with him, but Kurama alone outclasses the Scharnhorsts.

It’s hard to say exactly what Von Spee would do faced with such a force. Logic would dictate that he flee. However, IOTL he was willing to attack Craddock even with a 12” gun ship present. And even when he thought it was a much more powerful ship than the basically useless Canopus. So it’s not impossible he would fight.

I still think flight more likely. When facing Craddock Spee had determined that the best way he could affect the war materially was to attack a British force, and do some damage, after disrupting British trade. He hasn’t yet been able to materially affect British shipping in the lucrative Pacific South American region IOTL and the force he faces is Japanese, not British. But neither seems impossible.

And the Japanese will be trying to pin him down regardless. Spee was very conscientious about cleaning his ships hulls. This allowed him to have a considerable speed advantage over Craddock despite being in the Pacific for some time. With Coronel speeds Spee would be faster than Kurama, and therefore faster than the Japanese force speed. But I don’t know when the last time was that he got to clean his hulls at this point. So he may not be able to make those speeds.

Kurama mounts 4 modern 12”/45’s, and 8 x 8” guns fairly equivalent in range and power to the Germans 8.3” main guns. I am not sure what other ships Admiral Yamaya has with him, but Kurama alone outclasses the Scharnhorsts.

It’s hard to say exactly what Von Spee would do faced with such a force. Logic would dictate that he flee. However, IOTL he was willing to attack Craddock even with a 12” gun ship present. And even when he thought it was a much more powerful ship than the basically useless Canopus. So it’s not impossible he would fight.

I still think flight more likely. When facing Craddock Spee had determined that the best way he could affect the war materially was to attack a British force, and do some damage, after disrupting British trade. He hasn’t yet been able to materially affect British shipping in the lucrative Pacific South American region IOTL and the force he faces is Japanese, not British. But neither seems impossible.

And the Japanese will be trying to pin him down regardless. Spee was very conscientious about cleaning his ships hulls. This allowed him to have a considerable speed advantage over Craddock despite being in the Pacific for some time. With Coronel speeds Spee would be faster than Kurama, and therefore faster than the Japanese force speed. But I don’t know when the last time was that he got to clean his hulls at this point. So he may not be able to make those speeds.
Thanks, the note on hulls is very useful, the Germans lingered at Easter Island, 2 cruisers are due shortly, the biggest constraint will be coal. If von Spee flees he will be trapped against the chilean coast and the rules regarding neutral ports. Not sure if he would even have enough coal at this point, he and the squadron have visited Japan a number of times and I assume they will be aware of the disparity of forces.
The Japanese have the following ships Kurama, Asama, and Tsukuba, both Kurama and Tsukuba have 4 12" guns, they are only slightly slower than the German ships. Asama is older and is equiped with 4 8" guns in twin turrets.
As for hull cleaning I doubt the Germans would have had any opportunities by this stage.