A Better Rifle at Halloween

Well that just confirmed all the Entente propaganda about German frightfulness. Even the normally pro German neutrals are going to rethink things and be less friendly after the Brussels massacre.

OIP.bV7XbY6Fdd3GRAXjiRsf1wAAAA
OIP.qaACCJq3I41vOz2AXCACewAAAA
OIP.iE0-2e_lUsLkKMp7m8OobgHaJh

Last edited:
Oh? Did we forget to include you in the memo on the (several) planned sequels that you'll be writing for us? Sorry about that... Won't happen again we promise :)

Randy
I have a couple of hundred thousand professional and paid words that I need to grind out in the next 22 months.

I have a couple of hundred thousand professional and paid words that I need to grind out in the next 22 months.

There you go again, putting that "real life" stuff above our obviously more important "fantasy" lives.... It's almost like you creators think YOU'RE in charge of something... :)

Randy

Why must it be fettled.
4th October 1914, Dublin.

Percy Ludgate was looking at another recently assembled analytical engine, the device was bent and distorted. An experienced Royal Navy Gunnery Artificer had already disassembled the last two failed devices and taken a series of exacting measurements of every component. His close examination showed where the shuttles had not been correctly machined. Therefore, the rods which rode in each shuttle failed to correctly mesh with the slides. Instead, they bound the mechanism up and when forced by the operator, the torque would transfer back into the shuttles, wrecking the mechanism.

This was the third of the newly built machines which had likely failed in the same way, the quality control undertaken by the manufacturer was simply unacceptable. Thwaites and Reed who had the production contract were failing to maintain quality as they ramped up production. Ludgate was working on improving the design to simplify both operation and manufacturing, but each component still needed to be made to the specified design. Currently each device was being essentially hand built with each part fettled to mesh properly. If the craftsman doing the work was hurried, the fit and finish was too poor to enable the device to work.

Thwaites and Reed were trying to expand their workforce to cover the demand for both chronometers as well as the new Ludgate Analytical Engine, but they were struggling. The traditions of the company militated against the teams building the Analytical Engine and Ludgate was beginning to think that they would never meet his requirements.

He had been very impressed by some of the academics he had met undergoing training on the engine and he was beginning to consider working with them to bring production back under his own direct control. He would also share his fears with the War Office and the Admiralty and see what they could suggest. He would also have a copy of his letter sent directly to Admiral Scott as he seemed to have the best grasp of the technical development, he also had a short way with admiralty obstructionism.

He continued to ponder his challenges, Ireland was not lacking in light industrial capacity, the linen and ship building industries of Ulster were a potential source of skilled workers who understood precision work. Not perhaps to the same requirements as clock making but perhaps a compromise on the scale of the equipment would enable the use of larger components. This increase in size might allow the design tolerances to be pragmatically managed. One of the academics had also suggested a look at alternative materials as well, new alloys such as the recently improved Aluminium Bronze might be well suited. This was especially true for any future field equipment which would need to be portable and was therefore at greater risk of corrosion.

As it currently stood a total of 7 working machines had been built, two each had gone to the Admiralty and the War office, two plus the original prototype had been retained in Dublin for training purposes and were being kept busy working on calculations for the Royal Navy and the 7th machine was going to the University of Oxford. The failed machines were to have gone to the University of Cambridge, Vickers and Armstrong Whitworth. He expected they would get theirs within the next fortnight with further devices then going to Imperial College and the War Office.

That has been a long while since the last update, glad that there has been a new update, (although considering the nature of the update, means I need to reread it just to make sure I am not confused.)

As always I write when I get a chance, I work internationally and have lots of time between bursts of busyness so that’s when I write. My daughters and wife like me to be home, it’s bad enough when I get sucked into the vortex of 1914 aero engine design or what harry Ricardo was up to. I have learnt more about metallurgy than I wanted to and now you lot will get to as well.

Ramontxo

Donor
I was going to make a joke on the unreasonable expectatives your family seem to have but am really clumsy using irony. Anyway RL always comes first. And thanks a lote for your work.

Typical bloody British engineering- “we will fettle it to make it fit*”

*unless we are on strike.
Or hungover/ drunk/ both.
Or rushed.
Or distracted.
Or it’s Friday.

Ramontxo

Donor
Yes Germany was a bit slow with the whole PR thing
Rather more than a bit slow. With antiEntente voices in the USA suggesting the Zimmermann telegram to be an British concoction Zimmermann himself told an Yankee reporter that
"I cannot deny it. It is true."
And afterwards told the German Reichstag that the telegram was true in a public speech. All of this taking an, very, big weight from Wilson and the British (who couldn't show the real provenance of the note) worries.

Rather more than a bit slow. With antiEntente voices in the USA suggesting the Zimmermann telegram to be an British concoction Zimmermann himself told an Yankee reporter that
"I cannot deny it. It is true."
And afterwards told the German Reichstag that the telegram was true in a public speech. All of this taking an, very, big weight from Wilson and the British (who couldn't show the real provenance of the note) worries.
Remember that at this time The Trans Atlantic Cable was controlled by the Entente. England cutting the Germain Cable. So you get slanted propaganda about the atrocities of the Horrible HUNS.

Ramontxo

Donor
Remember that at this time The Trans Atlantic Cable was controlled by the Entente. England cutting the Germain Cable. So you get slanted propaganda about the atrocities of the Horrible HUNS.
The Germans could contact their USA embassy both through neurral nations and (for peace relate negotiations) through the USA one. More importantly USA newspapers had correspondents on Germany who could have been used to present the German point of view (the Rape of Belgium has long been demonstrated to be far more true than not. And is definitely not an British Propaganda Invention).
But nothing of this has any relation with the Zimmermann Telegram.
After deciding that the unrestricted Submarine Offensive would defeat the British on a question of months (it didn't) and that therefore the minor inconvenience of sinking USA ships and killing its citizens making them to enter the war was supportable. Zimmermann in an stroke of genius sent an telegram to the German Embassy on Mexico. It proposed support, in the peace conference, for annexing California, New Mexico and Texas if it attacked the USA. The British intercepted all German Telegrams and also could read its codes. They pased the telegram to the White House with proofs. Said proofs couldn't be explained to the public without revealing the British reading the German codes. And from the Hearst newspapers to a lot of people there was general accusations of said telegram being a fraud. Until an yankee journalist asked directly Zimmermann whose answer was
"I cannot deny it. It is true." (Literal quote)
That (candidly recognising the telegram) was surely the most stupid public relations move in history

Last edited:
@gallen95

Let's not go too far with the German revisionist nonsense.

Even by this part of the timeline, in otl they have already murdered thousands of French and Belgian civilians. The German army did operate in a way that rightly horrified the British, given the neutral status of Belgium prior to the illegal German aggression.