Why should it be? the POD is in 1923 and it already had been a republic for years by then. And considering that the Great Depression hasn't been butterflied away, in all likelihood, nothing really changed there compared to OTL.
sorry, my knowledge is very limited in context to South America, I just have passing knowledge of its early years

Why should it be? the POD is in 1923 and it already had been a republic for years by then. And considering that the Great Depression hasn't been butterflied away, in all likelihood, nothing really changed there compared to OTL.
Hopefully Vargas will still come to power and overthrow the Old Republic. Although it would also be funny if the Coluna Prestes somehow managed to get into power.

Been finding some interesting stuff while researching the sort of subtle things that would be influenced by an absence of the Nazis, so here is a small aside on fashion to tie you over to the next chapter:

Did you guys know that Hitler had a big influence on the German and greater European fashion movement?

In the 30's, German fashion designers were becoming hugely successful, with many Parisian designers coming to Berlin and there being some fear in France of Berlin taking their top slot. When Hitler came to power, this ended, since most of the major companies and brands were Jewish-owned or run.

Hitler made his own ministry for fashion, the Modeamt, which focused on promoting more traditional clothing for woman, and trying to minimise the use of pants and cosmetics which he felt detracted from their natural beauty.

As for men, the effects on fashion were smaller, but nevertheless did have an impact on beards. Fascism aimed at a clean, youthful, modern look, while facial hair was seen as being more connected to the Kaiserreich and the moustaches and beards of Franz Ferdinand, Wilhelm II, and Tsar Nicholas.

Without Hitler, I see a lot of the early 30's styles staying and developing in less dramatic ways, partly because of the Depression. I see a lot of women keeping the 20's looks, but them becoming more toned-down and daywear-appropriate compared to the excess of the 20's. Short hair will remain "in", as well as the slimmer forms and broader shoulders which Hitler opposed because they were not conducive to his push for women to pump out kids.

Fascist Italy likewise put a lot of effort into reshaping the image of the Italian citizen, with emphasis on Italian designs for men and women, with the latter being very modest and traditional. Expect many Italian designers to be as likely to flee to Berlin as to Paris. Especially with the lingering, if slightly diminished gay scene of "Babylon Berlin", fluidity in fashion will birth many new styles in the 30's.

Here are some (AI-generated) examples of alternate mid-late 1930's fashions:

View attachment 898998
View attachment 898999View attachment 899000
View attachment 899005View attachment 899006View attachment 899007
The hats in particular strike me as very “30s.” Nice work!

I really wish people would cease to imagine that Wallace was any sort of presidential possibility in 1940.

At that time, he had never run for any elective office, and had no ambitions to do so. He had been a Republican until Roosevelt appointed him Secretary of Agriculture. When Roosevelt designated him to be the Vice Presidential nominee, the Democratic convention balked hard. He was nominated only after Roosevelt threatened to withdraw as candidate.

In a no-Hitler/no-WW-II TL, Roosevelt very probably announces his retirement in early 1940. This would open the field for figures such as Paul McNutt and Burton Wheeler to campaign openly. (I don't think either Garner or Farley had a real chance.)
McNutt is an interesting possibility here.
Also, Wallace's "softness" toward the USSR was an artifact of the WW II alliance, reinforced by his 1944 tour of the USSR. In 1948, he had been "captured" by a cabal of crypto-Communist "advisors" and campaign staff. By 1950, he'd thrown off this influence, repudiated his previous views, and become a staunch anti-Communist.
Indeed. I also think it’s somewhat overstated how pro-Soviet Wallace was, at least in alt-hists that try to use him as a major POD

Communist Brazil when, considering Prestes founded the Communist Party in Brazil?
Would be interesting ngl, especially if they manage to steal Getulio's thunder by collapsing the Old Republic instead of him

"Coluna prestes" is a myth, the first revolutionary division was led by Isidoro Dias Lopez.

If they won't Brazil wouldn't be communist, but radical liberal, in many ways blessed.

Also song to match: