- Excerpt from The Life and Death of Konrad Adenauer by Anne Frank, 1967 (Youngest-ever winner of the Goethe Prize for Literary Excellence with her autobiography “Child of a Jewish Soldier”, published 1948)
I love how this, written ITTL in the mid-1960s, illustrates an example of the little ways in which the lack of Hitler and his Nazi regime shapes the fate of millions of people.

Quick note: The first upload of this chapter was a bit corrupted and cut out the bit about the film industry, so make sure you read the version which includes that

I love how this, written ITTL in the mid-1960s, illustrates an example of the little ways in which the lack of Hitler and his Nazi regime shapes the fate of millions of people.
This may come up or be tweaked in a future chapter, but my headcanon at the moment is that she went on to study history, married a minor member of the German nobility, and spends the rest of her life as a professor and author (but continues to write under her maiden name).

Her older sister (who IRL died of starvation and disease in a concentration camp) is a world traveller and diplomat who aids in the [REDACTED] Crisis before becoming a diplomat for the Kingdom of [REDACTED].

(I have to keep SOME secrets)

Last edited:
Speaking of future stuff, what could be interesting could be Willy Brandt (or more accurately, Herbert Frahm owing to the Nazis not being a thing ITTL) becoming notable as the leader of the SAPD here
I am reluctant to make any specific claims.because a lot is still due to happen which might affect this

One of Studio Babelsberg’s most famous pieces from the era, Das Brausende Mädel (The Effervescent Girl) of 1934, told the story of a young Bavarian woman moving to Berlin in 1929 to become a journalist, only to be caught in the Great Depression. Unable to work or feed herself, she would be driven to prostitution and drugs, but would continue writing, eventually selling her memoirs and earning enough money to free herself and many other women in her position from the gutter and grant them a new life. The work is heralded as an early Feminist masterpiece and the crowning achievement of German actress Brigitte Helm, who played the protagonist. It was a huge hit in the Netherlands and Britain when it aired in 1934, though many cinemas within Germany refused to air it for its depictions of prostitution and implied same-sex relations between female prostitutes.
I wonder how much of the Weimar liberalism will survive ITTL. There's no nazis, but the government isn't exactly liberal either. I could see it being a very regional thing.
Parallel to these new 1930’s ideas grew the phenomenon of Preußtalgie (Prussian nostalgia), first taken root following von Lettow-Vorbeck’s election and now rising to new heights as his Prussian leadership style brought jobs and wealth back to the people. In 1933, the Prussia Museum in Königsberg (located in the former royal palace in the city centre) reported a record high in visitors, a trend mirrored across the various estates and castles which had been converted to museums. This newfound fascination with German history was not exclusive to Germans; tourism to the Reich would rise as the economy and quality of life began to recover to pre-war standards and by 1934 Germany was the third most visited European nation by British and American tourists, exceeding Spain (but unable to surpass Italy or France).
Could something be done to incentive tourism? Besides economical benefits, I could see it fitting with LV's strategy of putting a friendly face to the West. Given that most of the people who travelled at this time were rich people, primarily from thr UK and USA, painting a good image might be a good investment.

Maybe try and build some landmarks in some of the major cities? It's not too late to some Eiffel-esque, very recognizable building (please nothing like the Berlin TV tower, that thing is hideous). Maybe also fund museums, and open some of the more impressive castles for visits, as well as incetivizing Alpine tourism when Austria is incorporated.

I wonder how much of the Weimar liberalism will survive ITTL. There's no nazis, but the government isn't exactly liberal either. I could see it being a very regional thing.
There will be a rise in Conservative values tied to the events which eventually kill the Weimar Republic, but indeed certain areas like Saxony and Berlin will remain comparatively liberal indefinitely. There will be a counter-push many years later which sees a lot of the social movements from IRL 1970s and so but a few decades earlier. Also, some of the advancements of Weimar will never die, for example women will keep voting rights far longer and be way less willing to give it up. I suspect Maria von Lettow-Vorbeck would put her husband's jewels in a vice if he tried to reverse some of those advancements.
Could something be done to incentive tourism? Besides economical benefits, I could see it fitting with LV's strategy of putting a friendly face to the West. Given that most of the people who travelled at this time were rich people, primarily from thr UK and USA, painting a good image might be a good investment.
I added that as a sort of precursor to incentivised tourism. One of von Lettow-Vorbeck’s weaknesses is that he isn't as savvy in that sort of stuff (he IS an old man), plus the idea of mass tourism is rather new. Germany will come around to using that to their advantage once the European economy really starts to pick up and they can begin using it to their advantage.
Maybe try and build some landmarks in some of the major cities? It's not too late to some Eiffel-esque, very recognizable building (please nothing like the Berlin TV tower, that thing is hideous). Maybe also fund museums, and open some of the more impressive castles for visits, as well as incetivizing Alpine tourism when Austria is incorporated.
The Berlin TV tower is indeed hideous. Actually... that is what I had in mind as a potential destiny for Albert Speer.

Incorporation of Austria? What an odd concept 🤔

My first degree was in chemistry. For many years, Germany was considered the place to go for post doctor study in chemistry, physics, math, and medicine. One suggestion is to encourage Germany universities to reach out to their counter parts in Britain and the USA to renew academic exchanges.

My first degree was in chemistry. For many years, Germany was considered the place to go for post doctor study in chemistry, physics, math, and medicine. One suggestion is to encourage Germany universities to reach out to their counter parts in Britain and the USA to renew academic exchanges.
Oh, definitely, and without the Holocaust, many of the greatest minds will stay German.

The Great German Axademic Exchange is coming, but it won't be triggered until Germanys first foreign foray.

added that as a sort of precursor to incentivised tourism. One of von Lettow-Vorbeck’s weaknesses is that he isn't as savvy in that sort of stuff (he IS an old man), plus the idea of mass tourism is rather new. Germany will come around to using that to their advantage once the European economy really starts to pick up and they can begin using it to their advantage.
I'd argue that such things would fall outside LV's immediate responsibilities. He would probably just have to authorize some sort of funding for this, and the rest would be left to the Cabinet, Reichstag, or the local governments
Whether he understood the steps which he would have needed to take—and if, in the end, he would have been willing to make the sacrifices which the salvation would have demanded—is a question lost to the annals of history.” -
Does this mean that Adenauer dies or loses power prematurely or am i misreading it?

I wonder if the rise of Adenauer will be even more influential than that of von Lettow himself.
Does this mean that Adenauer dies or loses power prematurely or am i misreading it?
Adenauer plays a major role in the story of Germany, but the circumstances for his rule are very different from IRL, and his ability to handle them even more so. You both are asking the right kinds of questions, though. After all, he died in 1967 in our world, but here his biography is published that year.
I'd argue that such things would fall outside LV's immediate responsibilities. He would probably just have to authorize some sort of funding for this, and the rest would be left to the Cabinet, Reichstag, or the local governments
My plan is for L-V to eventually get talked into creating a national tourism bureau which will operate largely on its own. He won't care about it and it will largely just grow on its own.