That's true, doubling down on it is definitely something he wants to try. Though he also isn't entirely comfortable with supporting more breakaways because he is still a Prussian supremacist. But yeah it will be a useful trick.
If he could convince himself letting the Rhineland go was an acceptable sacrifice, there's not really much in the way of a similar decision for Hannover, for once. I could see him doing some mental gymnastics to convince himself it's the right thing for Germany, if not for Prussia.

I could also see his faith on Prussia being shaken by the Osthilfeskandal, and the Junkers being uncooperative assholes.

This was paired with an arrest warrant for Ernst Thälmann as well as many of the party leaders in the KPD; while the majority would soon be rounded up and sentenced to life in prison, Thälmann would escape with the help of sympathisers and make his way to the safe bosom of Moscow.
The Weimar Republic's justice system may have been way too lenient towards the far right (blind on the right eye) while overly harsh towards the far left, but they didn't sentence KPD leaders to life sentences if they hadn't commited other criminal acts justifying it like e.g. Erich Mielke's murder of 2 police officers, for which he served a prison sentence after 1990. Without aggrevating circumstances the prison sentences for KPD leaders after the party's ban would've been single digit tops.

Unless the Soviets invade Germany in a stereotypical alt WW2 and use him as a figurehead in occupied territories
I don't think that would happen TTL, Soviets would be much more interested in invading the Baltics and slicing off Western Poland and would require some sort of approval or at least non intervention from Germany, so Stalin would be clever enough to keep playing nice with them

Baden and Württemberg staying separate is one of the ones I really like. I also have a distaste for Niedersachsen; yes I understand the population demographics, but the size of the state always rankled me. Likewise, the Rhineland or Silesia being single states would make those incredibly powerful. Larger states somewhat made sense in France, but the intense regional differences in Germany in this era just makes that seem nonsensical.

I think the Prussia idea was planning for eventual union with West Prussia. But still weird to give them the bit of Posen.
How would you divide my beloved Lower Saxony then?
If that includes an Eastphalia ruled from Brunswick, I will support you.

How would you divide my beloved Lower Saxony then?
If that includes an Eastphalia ruled from Brunswick, I will support you.
Well... just between us...

It won't be called Eastphalia, but there may be plans for a new state with its capital and name being (at least partially) Brunswick. Sachsen-Braunschswig or Braunschweig-Anhalt are currently being considered

What plans does Vorbeck have long-term for the Navy?
The Navy is not high on his priority list at all and he doesn't have any plans currently to interfere with its building so, at least for the next few years, it will be about on the level that Weimar Germany had.

When I do get to the Navy stuff, I will need a lot of help, because I know very little about that beyond the basic ship types and amounts.

Is there a certain skepticism towards the navy due to the fact that it was the "Queen of ports" in the Great War?
I don't imagine so, at least not as the prevailing opinion. Personally, I feel that Lettow-Vorbeck is also retaining hope in winning over the British and therefore making the naval point at least somewhat moot

I don't imagine so, at least not as the prevailing opinion. Personally, I feel that Lettow-Vorbeck is also retaining hope in winning over the British and therefore making the naval point at least somewhat moot
Should a member of the Kamarilla catch wind of that idea though, even if it's a really fringe view or something said sarcastically, then might the thought not occur that they could play this up, via the newspapers that they own for example? If the public opinion of the navy were to drop, and thus allow the navy to stay a small Baltic coastal force, this could both help to keep naval spending down and also 'help Germany align with Britain's interests' to use an anachronistic phrase. Even if a small navy didn't actively improve German-British relations, it would certainly avoid a naval rearmament which would actively damage German-British relations, as happened OTL.

It's not exactly foreign to German thinking to have a tiny navy, after all. Most states in the HRE didn't even have a coastline and IIRC the only state to build up a serious navy was the Kaiserreich, even Prussia only had a token force before the Vereinigung. I feel that if Willy II. hadn't got jealous at first Grandmama's and then Cousin Bertie's fleet then the Kaiserliche Marine might have remained a small adjunct to the Heer. So the idea that having a navy is an important and prestigious element of national pride, while very much rooted in British thinking for centuries at this point, is still quite an alien concept to a large part of the German population. That's what I feel from the various contemporary writings I've read over the years, at least.

Out of curiosity, how is the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft doing ITTL? Without the Nazis in power, I doubt the von Lettow-Vorbeck government will go after LGBTQ+ folks, and especially not Hirschfeld and his research. As you say, von Lettow-Vorbeck was racist and almost certainly queerphobic, but not genocidally so like the Nazis were.

Out of curiosity, how is the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft doing ITTL? Without the Nazis in power, I doubt the von Lettow-Vorbeck government will go after LGBTQ+ folks, and especially not Hirschfeld and his research. As you say, von Lettow-Vorbeck was racist and almost certainly queerphobic, but not genocidally so like the Nazis were.
Coincidentally, that is something I am trying to write about right now. Struggling a bit though, because, as you said, he would be opposed to LGBTQ rights, but he also wouldn't go after it unless he had a reason to. Lettow-Vorbeck really strikes me as someone who will avoid stirring up trouble unless it is necessary. It is the Bismarckian mindset I am giving him, basically, and Bismarck's biggest mistake was stirring up trouble with minorities.

Göring would almost certainly go after them, but I also don't want to turn Göring into too much of a boogeyman so I am on the fence on whether or not he will target Hirschfeld while Lettow-Vorbeck is distracted by other things. Also, personally, I don't want this Germany to become too terrible. Yes it will not be great, especially for minorities, but it will be a lot better than the Nazis. Hence the dilemma.

Coincidentally, that is something I am trying to write about right now. Struggling a bit though, because, as you said, he would be opposed to LGBTQ rights, but he also wouldn't go after it unless he had a reason to. Lettow-Vorbeck really strikes me as someone who will avoid stirring up trouble unless it is necessary. It is the Bismarckian mindset I am giving him, basically, and Bismarck's biggest mistake was stirring up trouble with minorities.

Göring would almost certainly go after them, but I also don't want to turn Göring into too much of a boogeyman so I am on the fence on whether or not he will target Hirschfeld while Lettow-Vorbeck is distracted by other things. Also, personally, I don't want this Germany to become too terrible. Yes it will not be great, especially for minorities, but it will be a lot better than the Nazis. Hence the dilemma.
I’d say that the main reason not to do it is that even if they banned the KPD, they are still trying to keep a largely democratic image. Cracking down on stuff like this erodes that.

As for Göring, the man was very fucking smart and would be terrifying if not on drugs. I’d say he’s more than capable of being pragmatic, and this doesn’t advance his position in any way.

I’d say that the main reason not to do it is that even if they banned the KPD, they are still trying to keep a largely democratic image. Cracking down on stuff like this erodes that.

As for Göring, the man was very fucking smart and would be terrifying if not on drugs. I’d say he’s more than capable of being pragmatic, and this doesn’t advance his position in any way.
Fair point. I think he will keep an eye on them as potential "dissidents" with his new little secret police, the Vosist.

When Hindenburg set up a minority government by choosing Brüning, what power did the majority party have to oppose them? Was it solely the threat of a no-confidence vote? Or could they also influence things like spending and administration?

also a saner Göring probably would have stayed in contact with Anthony Fokker, which might have some consequences on aircraft development in germany

Fair point. I think he will keep an eye on them as potential "dissidents" with his new little secret police, the Vosist.
Sure, that sounds about right. Don’t get me wrong, Göring was most definitely a committed nazi, but I also see him as smart enough to be pragmatic about it, as OTL he did seem more concerned with personal gain than anything else. I’d also say that there’s an argument to be made that ITTL he and other nazis would be less radicalized. They would probably hold a lot of their opinions, but very few people would’ve promoted something like the Final Solution in the early 30s. Without the rise of Hitler, I’d say it’s plausible and even likely that Nazi ideology never evolves to that point, and in fact gets closer and closer to your average far-right party.

Sure, that sounds about right. Don’t get me wrong, Göring was most definitely a committed nazi, but I also see him as smart enough to be pragmatic about it, as OTL he did seem more concerned with personal gain than anything else. I’d also say that there’s an argument to be made that ITTL he and other nazis would be less radicalized. They would probably hold a lot of their opinions, but very few people would’ve promoted something like the Final Solution in the early 30s. Without the rise of Hitler, I’d say it’s plausible and even likely that Nazi ideology never evolves to that point, and in fact gets closer and closer to your average far-right party.
and long time opiate use does cause some mental changes - people tend to become more selfish, empathic capability seems to reduce. some of which seems to persist even after the use stops.