50 Most Decisive Battles in World History - collaborative effort

Rex Romanum

Banned
Alright, inspired by William Weir's "50 Battles that Changed History", in this thread we will collaboratively trying to compile 50 battles that have most influence in our history...
All person are free to nominate their own battle...after we get not more than 5 candidates which is consisted of the name of the battle, the year when the battle was fought, and the belligerents who fought in the battle, then each of us can post their opinions about which battle is should be choosen...
If after 12 hours or so there are no more objections anymore, we will move into 2nd position, and then 3rd position, and so on...
So let's get started with the 1st position...I nominate Battle of Salamis, 480 BC, Greeks vs Persians...

PS:
-Yeah, I know that it's nearly impossible to measure how decisive one battle was...but, hey, this forum needs some debate, doesn't it...? ;)
-Since this is pre-1900 forum, all battles must be fought before 1900 AD...

i nominate one of my all time favorites :cool:

Battle:Battle of Alesia.
Year:52 BC
belligerents:the Roman Republic vs a confederation of Gallic tribes.

Battle of Manzikert, AD 1071.
Belligerents: The Eastern Roman Empire and the Seljuks.
Result: Decisive Seljuk victory, capture of Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes.

i nominate one of my all time favorites :cool:

Battle:Battle of Alesia.
Year:52 BC
belligerents:the Roman Republic vs a confederation of Gallic tribes.

I suppose one could argue that without the Gallic War Caesar would never have gone anywhere. But any one of the battles being that decisive seems kind of shaky. So how about another Roman one...

The Battle of Actium
31 BC
Octavian's Supporters vs. Mark Antony's Supporters and Ptolemaic Egypt
Result: Decisive victory for Octavian's Forces

I suppose one could argue that without the Gallic War Caesar would never have gone anywhere. But any one of the battles being that decisive seems kind of shaky. So how about another Roman one...
i would argue that had it gone the other way...and it verry well could than not only is caesar most likely killed but rome for the time being atleast remains an republic, also the gauls might unite and form an serious obstacle to further roman expension, altough i must admit that the gauls uniting is rather unlikely.

The Battle of Actium
31 BC

you won't get any arguments there verry decisive one you picked there ;)

Rex Romanum

Banned
Hmm...I don't know guys...
Manzikert, Alesia, and Actium were all decisive battles, of course...but I don't think either one of them deserve the 1st position...
Salamis absolutely much more influential to history than all of them...I mean, if the Greeks lose, there would be no Roman Empire at all...

Susano

Banned
Hmm...I don't know guys...
Manzikert, Alesia, and Actium were all decisive battles, of course...but I don't think either one of them deserve the 1st position...
Salamis absolutely much more influential to history than all of them...I mean, if the Greeks lose, there would be no Roman Empire at all...

Of course, due to butterflies. But if we go by that well just have to find the earliest battle ever and call it day. That obviously cant be the determinator.

I'll give an Asian one

Talikota 1565- it dealt the final blow to the Empire of Vijayanagara. With the last great South Indian empire destroyed, South India would prove fragmented and more readily open to the Western empires.

Grey Wolf

Donor
A curious one this, since decisive battles tend to be defeats - a battle that gives victory usually leads to a temporary hegemony of some decades that fades and is then gone after a series of minor defeats.

Of course, whilst I might look at Hattin as a decisive defeat, I am sure that Saladin would see it otherwise...

So I will nominate it anyway

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
And if you want an ancient one how about Kadesh?

Then there's Alexander The Great's one which sounds like an STD...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

mats

Banned
the defeat of the spanish armada
belligrents: spain vs england and dutch rebels
result: spain loses big army an fleet, bankrupt

Battle of Talas circa 751 AD

The Abassids versus the Tang Chinese.

Results: China loses its historic sphere of influence over the Iranian and Turkic peoples living in Central Asia.

The Battle of Actium
31 BC

Seconded (Thirded?)

the defeat of the spanish armada
belligrents: spain vs england and dutch rebels
result: spain loses big army an fleet, bankrupt

Seconded

Battle of Talas circa 751 AD

The Abassids versus the Tang Chinese.

Results: China loses its historic sphere of influence over the Iranian and Turkic peoples living in Central Asia.

Nice one, seconded.

I would like to nominate:

Battle of the Ice (or Battle of Lake Peipus as it is also known)
1242 AD

Novgorod and the Grand Duchy of Vladimir Versus the Livonian Order, Teutonic Order and other Roman Catholic allies.

Result: Secures Russia from falling under the influence of the Roman Catholic Church; establishes the eastern border between Roman Catholocism and Eastern Orthodoxy; prevents continued eastern expansion of German Roman Catholics; secured Russian culture; creates legend of Alexander Nevsky.

mats

Banned
btw
battle of hastings
belligrents : norman england vs duke william of normandy
result duke william becomes king of england...

Battle of Königgrätz
Belligerents: Prussia vs. Austria & Saxony
Result: Decisive Prussian Victory leading to many annexations in central Germany. An important step on the road to unification.

Battle of Leipzig
Belligerents: First French Empire and allies vs. the Sixth Coalition.
Result: Coalition victory

Battle of Otumba

Spaniards-Tlaxcaltecas vs Aztecs

Secured Spanish retreat to Tlaxcala and ensured destruction of the Aztecs

Adrianople, 378 AD, Goths defeat Rome under emperor Valens. A strike the empire would never really recover from.

May I nominate another one? I have several ideas...

Maur

Banned
i would argue that had it gone the other way...and it verry well could than not only is caesar most likely killed but rome for the time being atleast remains an republic, also the gauls might unite and form an serious obstacle to further roman expension, altough i must admit that the gauls uniting is rather unlikely.

you won't get any arguments there verry decisive one you picked there ;)
The republic was effectively dead by time of Marius already.

Also, Max, nominate, since of the one's listed it's only the Manzikert and Hastings that changed much at all. (and Hastings is like meh, who cares if it's Norman or Anglosaxon England)