40 years since the Stanislav Petrov incident - where were you on Sept. 25/26, 1983? Would you have survived if the nukes were launched?

Lisbon. As capital of a NATO country, and home to NATO facilities, not to mention controlling the Açores base, we were a prime target. So dead on zero hour...

Then again, my family living in the country would die of starvation, desease, nuclear winter or the sheer chaos that would come after, so... I'm the lucky one?

Usually post apocalyptic stories take place years after the damage has been done so we rarely see the majority of the survivors dying from disease and starvation within several years of the collapse. People can’t fathom not being able to get food from a grocery store on a moment’s notice.

Could Brazil northeast interior be nuked in this scenario?
Unlikely. MAD isn't nuke everything as I was told. The Soviets knew their nukes were unreliable hence they overtargeted NATO and U.S. major cities and military bases. I don't see why the USSR would strike northeast Brazil because there's nothing of strategic value there. It's not worth wasting a nuke that might miss or even fizzle along the way.

In the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia, about 12 straight line miles from City Hall, age 31, with a wife and 18 month old daughter. All three of us are likely gone, given the proximity of the Philadelphia Navy Yard and several refineries on the Delaware. Needless to say, none of my grandkids ever happen. Ironically, my in-laws lived in Chester County ~35 miles west of Philadelphia, so they may have been OK.

Is there anything there NATO, the US or the USSR see as a potential enemy target? Afaik, the closest target I can think of the the launch center in french Guiana.
Brazil began building its own space center (Alcantara) in 1982. I don't think it would have been targeted in 1983, however, being not done yet, and used by a power with only very tiny rockets.

Two prevailing thoughts on how to use WMDs like this:

Counterforce - prioritize military assets and the ability to retaliate

Countervalue - prioritize civilian and economic infrastructure

Targets are very likely to depend on which philosophy your opposition follows.

Last edited:
I was twelve years old and lived in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, a small tourist town in Vaucluse, in Provence, France. The Albion plateau and its 18 S3 IRBMs and the Orange air base (Mirage F1 for Air Défense) are located a few dozen km to the north. The terrain is hilly, probably not killed instantly, but in the fallout zone.

Last edited:
Two prevailing thoughts on how to use WMDs like this:

Counterforce - prioritize military assets and the ability to retaliate

Countervalue - prioritize civilian and economic infrastructure

Targets are very likely to depend on which philosophy your opposition follows.
I return to my point above: In the UK it matters not if you prioritize military assets and the ability to retaliate OR prioritize civilian and economic infrastructure - it is the same thing for us because we are quite a small country

( I KNOW not everyone will be snuffed out in an instant like the Avengers but most of us aren't going to make it - the UK would cease to exist as a functioning entity for quite some time imo)

People can’t fathom not being able to get food from a grocery store on a moment’s notice.
I could see it being very much "walking dead" territory: break into buildings that are less damaged, ransack for canned goods/useful resources and try to move on. Of course there is nothing to stop someone beating you to death for your 3 tins of baked beans................

this is a cheery thread!

On the sidenote, I'm currently watching Special Bulletin (1983), which deals on the issue of a nuclear terrorism blackmail.

On November, I will watch The Day After again.

15 year old in Belfast. Shorts aerospace factory, Harland & Wolff shipyard and regional capital. Almost certain to be hit. Unlikely to have been at the epicentre so might have survived the initial blast to die of radiation cancer a few years afterwards.

absolutely - horrifying.

this shows how young some of the posters here are! ( or how old some of us are LOL. Am I old now? How did that happen? )
Oh I'm eighteen, so yeah pretty young. But largely just my mom having me really early, she was born in late 89.

I live in a small town called newton-le-willows we are 15 miles from Manchester 15 miles from liverpool 3 miles south was one of the us army's main storage depots
RAF Burtonwood my chance of survival is zero and I remember being over 60 the fear and tension of living in such a world.

Well, at that point, my mother was living in a hamlet somewhere around Vitória de Santo Antão and my father was serving in the Marines and they hadn't met yet - so, in regards to the bombs, they'd probaby be fine but i don't know if they'd meet in this scenario.

Last edited:

Pangur

Donor
I was in Limerick RoI, near shannon airport which I'm reasonably sure was a target. The missile hits target I live if not perhaps not. I was also in the army reserve so called up is a given. After than anyone's guess

Last edited: