28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

first theres no reason why british refuges would take on citenzenship in canada or austrailia (especially australia, as they wouldnt remove the restrictions on immigration for anything)....its mor likly theyd retain british citezenship but probaly get dual status in commmonwealth countries

second....theres no reason for a federation as ai pointed out in the map...people would still recognize it all under uk domain (especially as its backed by nato forces and americans, who would see no reason to aid a federation out of the blue, and i could guess that the royal anvy and army wouldnt support it either)

Thanks for the pointers, never really thought about that, silly me lol

might want to note that sweeden is linked to denmark with a tunnel, and in the past the sea has frozen over at times...think it still can, so a good chance of some parts of lower sweeden/norway could get hit

Well the outbreak was during summer right? So no dice with the ice helping infected people to reach southeren Sweden. Besides, I don't think the Öresund strait have ever frozen to that extent, the smaller straits between the Danish islands have but Öresund? Maybe, just maybe it could have happened during "the Little Ice Age" but for the last couple of hundreds of years it would be most unlikely.

The bridge and the tunnel could be dangerous though but if the infection doesn't reach Zealand/Sjælland no infected people can go through the tunnel. So if Zealand survives untouched chances are good that Sweden does too.

Well the outbreak was during summer right? So no dice with the ice helping infected people to reach southeren Sweden. Besides, I don't think the Öresund strait have ever frozen to that extent, the smaller straits between the Danish islands have but Öresund? Maybe, just maybe it could have happened during "the Little Ice Age" but for the last couple of hundreds of years it would be most unlikely.

The bridge and the tunnel could be dangerous though but if the infection doesn't reach Zealand/Sjælland no infected people can go through the tunnel. So if Zealand survives untouched chances are good that Sweden does too.

actually it has frozen over...or at least the gaps betweent he various islands, because theres a danish law which allows people to hit sweedes with wood when they cross over the ice....im guessing it was during the medeval period when all the scandinavians were conquering each other

actually it has frozen over...or at least the gaps betweent he various islands, because theres a danish law which allows people to hit sweedes with wood when they cross over the ice....im guessing it was during the medeval period when all the scandinavians were conquering each other

Well the smaller straits were used by Charles X to invade from Jutland/Jylland wich is the only invasion of Denmark over the ice that I know about. But the Öresund strait... Not imposible it's frozen sometime of course but not very likely and especially in the warmer climate of today. But then again, the Rage virus is pretty unlikely aswell so who's to say what's imposible in a fictional story? :)

By the way... Not sure if I've commented on this before but just in case, nice work kspence92! Well written and interesting developments.

A somewhat rushed, albeit fitting, end to a good TL. :)

Few comments:

1. IMVHO the best way to deal with Rage is to incinerate EVERY LAST SAMPLE OF IT. :cool: That, or put every known sample at Nova Zemlya and nuke it from orbit. :eek: It's the only way to be sure.

2. I personally don't think the Brits will renounce the Monarchy, but since they did so ITTL, methinks we could get a Kingdom of Canada, now that the Crown had relocated there. :)

3. No Iraq War might save Bush Jr's legacy, but with the economy in shambles (?)... I wonder who will the Democrats field in '08, and if the Tea Party's been butterflied away (I'll be a happy man if you say that movement never happened ;))

4. How's the world dealing with Russia's apparent imperialism? Loud condemnation? Tacit approval? Cold War II?

Marc A

P.S. I suddenly have a really evil idea: Rage Virus Outbreak - Mogadishu, October 3, 1993... :eek::eek:

A somewhat rushed, albeit fitting, end to a good TL. :)

Few comments:

1. IMVHO the best way to deal with Rage is to incinerate EVERY LAST SAMPLE OF IT. :cool: That, or put every known sample at Nova Zemlya and nuke it from orbit. :eek: It's the only way to be sure.

2. I personally don't think the Brits will renounce the Monarchy, but since they did so ITTL, methinks we could get a Kingdom of Canada, now that the Crown had relocated there. :)

3. No Iraq War might save Bush Jr's legacy, but with the economy in shambles (?)... I wonder who will the Democrats field in '08, and if the Tea Party's been butterflied away (I'll be a happy man if you say that movement never happened ;))

4. How's the world dealing with Russia's apparent imperialism? Loud condemnation? Tacit approval? Cold War II?

Marc A

P.S. I suddenly have a really evil idea: Rage Virus Outbreak - Mogadishu, October 3, 1993... :eek::eek:
you mean as chemical war , used by USA?, they wold be insane doing that, but, there is still big probabilities

you mean as chemical war , used by USA?, they wold be insane doing that, but, there is still big probabilities

No, I mean as a "natural" outbreak - say, Umbrella Corp. :)p) had a secret lab under Hotel Olympic, and by ASB intervention, it leaked just as the Rangers roped down from the Black Hawks... :eek:

Marc A

first theres no reason why british refuges would take on citenzenship in canada or austrailia (especially australia, as they wouldnt remove the restrictions on immigration for anything)....its mor likly theyd retain british citezenship but probaly get dual status in commmonwealth countries

second....theres no reason for a federation as ai pointed out in the map...people would still recognize it all under uk domain (especially as its backed by nato forces and americans, who would see no reason to aid a federation out of the blue, and i could guess that the royal anvy and army wouldnt support it either)

I think there'd be a huge amount of public sentiment to help out British refugees in Australia new Zealand and Canada. In all likelyhood the gov would create a separate immigration category. The majority of people born in Australia have relatives in Europe after all.

No, I mean as a "natural" outbreak - say, Umbrella Corp. :)p) had a secret lab under Hotel Olympic, and by ASB intervention, it leaked just as the Rangers roped down from the Black Hawks... :eek:

Marc A
it will be like the first outbreak in London, with the savior of animals
and if that happens in USa, millions of lives will be lost, befores UsA can contorll the outbreak, also its geografy it would help to much

I've been thinking about this scenario and how bad it was when it struck me that this pandemic could have been made so much worse by having a realistic incubation period rather than the ASB one that exists in the 28 Days Later Canon. Even with an incubation period of 12 hours (quicker than pretty much any real life pathogen) the task of telling infected from non-infected just got a whole lot harder.

In 28 days later you are either infected or not. There is no doubt, if you meet someone and they aren't a rabid plague zombie then they're not infected (unless they're a carrier but with this disease that's very rare). To prevent the spread of the infection all (all! :eek:) you have to do is contain anyone who appears infected.

With even a 12 hour latency period then it becomes so much more difficult to contain because you can't tell if someone is ionfected just by looking at them. That nice bloke you're chatting to in the street who only just managed to escape the infected? He may well be infected too, and he may be infecting you. This would mean quarantine camps and just plain horrible choices being made by governments attempting to contain the epidemic. In short, the epidemic wouldn't be stopped at the Russian border. It may well go global.

The reason the ASB latency period was chosen by the films writers is obviously for added horror effect (1 second he was your boyfriend, now he's the rabid plaguezombie after your brains - and not in a good way) but the scenario would be so much more horrific and bloody if it had a realistic latency period

Longer Latency...

A much longer latency was chosen for World War Z. (Not quite sure how long) The question is whether things be worse globally with a latency in between the two...

And unless you have bird carriers (as in 28D (canon?)), you aren't likely to get a transoceanic spread without at least a 6 hour latency.

I suspect a far longer latency was chosen for WWZ so that it could spread globally. For lethal diseases, the shorter the incubation period the quicker the disease burns out. They just kill people more quickly than new hosts can be infected

For zombie plagues the situation is somewhat different. The viruses don't actually kill the host for the main part but the effect they have on the hosts behaviour makes it easy tell the infected from the healthy. This means that the infected can avoid, and if necessary kill the infected before they themselves are infected. This means that hosts are more likely to pass on the virus during the latency period. The longer the latency period, the more people who end up infected. In the case of 28 days later the latency period is so short as to be effectively non-existent. If such a disease did break out in real life it would probably be contained rather quickly unless the authorities were completely incompetent

I suspect a far longer latency was chosen for WWZ so that it could spread globally. For lethal diseases, the shorter the incubation period the quicker the disease burns out. They just kill people more quickly than new hosts can be infected

For zombie plagues the situation is somewhat different. The viruses don't actually kill the host for the main part but the effect they have on the hosts behaviour makes it easy tell the infected from the healthy. This means that the infected can avoid, and if necessary kill the infected before they themselves are infected. This means that hosts are more likely to pass on the virus during the latency period. The longer the latency period, the more people who end up infected. In the case of 28 days later the latency period is so short as to be effectively non-existent. If such a disease did break out in real life it would probably be contained rather quickly unless the authorities were completely incompetent

thing was though, even though the rage virus has no latency, it uses numbers and speed to spread...the virus couldve beign contained quickly yes, but it wasnt because it immediatly effects the nearest person, changes them, then they run off to find another...its geometric

the same thing happens really with zombie viruses, but their usually slow moving...rage virus still retains the speed of the person it infected, so they can out manoveur any containment that was originally done...also they didnt realise it was a virus to begin with..they thought it was rioting because they still basiclly looked healthy, they could move, and they still made noises and such....its hard to tell if someones infected at the begining, because their moving so fast, and if you try and get a closer look without restaining them, you get bit...they also vomitted the infection too if they got close enough, so anotehr way of fast delivery. that, without knowledge of the virus, would be easily ignored til it was too late (especially in hospitals and amongst police, due to its fairly commonality in real life)

I think that you have underestimated the defendable positions in France. For example, the region contained between the Rhone and the Alps (most of Rhône-Alpes region and the whole of Provence (link)). The river is wide; all the army would have to do is dynamite the bridges. I think they would occupy Geneva and heavily guard the narrow region between the Jura and Lake Geneva, in which they would make boat patrols to pick up any refugees from the other bank. Some valleys could be locked up and used as worst case scenario evacuation zones (Upper Durance and Maurienne valleys for instance).

What would be interesting would be a rage outbreak in China. Is the virus was released in central Shanghai in the morning rush hour. Although, Chinese security forces wouldn't be squeamish about blowing the shit out of the rampaging crowds i guess, possibly fearing its some kind of "day of rage" riot like the start of the Arab Spring.

What would be interesting would be a rage outbreak in China. Is the virus was released in central Shanghai in the morning rush hour. Although, Chinese security forces wouldn't be squeamish about blowing the shit out of the rampaging crowds i guess, possibly fearing its some kind of "day of rage" riot like the start of the Arab Spring.

PM sent your way. ;)

Marc A