20th Century German Migration

I've been wondering why despite terrible economic hardships following the world wars Germans didn't immigrate more, inparticular to the America. Germany is a densely populated nation while the America isn't. Is it possible had the US stayed out of one or both of the world wars Germans wold have been more willing to immigrate to America.

I've been wondering why despite terrible economic hardships following the world wars Germans didn't immigrate more, inparticular to the America. Germany is a densely populated nation while the America isn't. Is it possible had the US stayed out of one or both of the world wars Germans wold have been more willing to immigrate to America.

Btwn the World Wars the US had immigration quotas as well as the Great Depression which limited job opportunities just about everywhere.

Those are my assumptions- As it is Germans made up a large number of immigrants to the Americas in OTL. Maybe a Germany which falls completely under Soviet domination or one in which the Morgenthau plan is implemented would spur extra migration.

Hmmm interesting idea Birdy.

Seems to me that in order for the plan to succeed the Soviet Union can't be a threat in the post-war world. So we need Roosevelt to want to punish Germany and also mistrust Stalin enough to refuse Lend-Lease aid to the Russians.

The success of the plan would also depend on Germany being reduced in population by 25,000,000 people Roosevelt would need Congressional approval to permit the absorption of so many people into the United States. So we need a Congress that would recognize the benefits of adding these highly skilled people to the American populace.

well, guys, don't forget that in the aftermath of 1918 and 1945, there'd have been a heck of alot of hostility towards Germans from ppl in the US, UK, and Cth countries after the massive loss of life which had been sustained...

Between the wars, there was a lot of emigration to Latin America. There are still some German-speaking exclaves and lots of people with German names there. Germans weren't so welcome in other places, and even so, there were also still quite a few emigrants to the USA.

Thing is, despite all the 'Volk ohne Raum' spiel, Germany proved able to accommodate all Germans in normal times. Only in times of abject crisis did it generate very large numbers of emigrants.