2000s/2010s without cell phones

Well, I'd have to know what caused cell phones to not be invented, but I would think that there would be more iPod touch type devices.

yes

I'd like to think There was a way to save pay phones.
So much easier to carry some coins then more bills, more things to worry about.

I'd probablly got more work done on the job site w/o 'urgent' calls coming in through the day. A lot of the theoretical effciencies of the mobile communications are offset by folks using them as a crutch to enable their bad planning & inability to organize their time.

Generally I've found that clustering my calls, txt messages, ect.. & leaving the thing unsed for several hours at a time gets the less effcient and less profitable customers & other money lossers out of my hair.

Driftless

Donor
Improved walkie-talkie type radios? More CB radio usage - god help us there.... :D

A "yuppiefied" version of CB usage and argot? LOL... over....

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't care because I don't have a phone. But in some way, I think their would be a lot more ipads and laptops being sold.

I think the difficulty is that laptops, tablets, and phones are really all merging to similar functionality, the only real difference is screen size. I can't see any possible way that things like laptops and ipads exist but cell phones don't. You'd have to stunt the entire development of computers.

no, you have to stunt the cellular network in its growth

are there ways to stop the cellular network from developing?

no, you have to stunt the cellular network in its growth

are there ways to stop the cellular network from developing?

Yes but there are alternatives that would have to be stopped as well, satellite phones and the improved walkie-talkie type radios for example.

So no cell-phone towers, but more wifi hot-spots?

More car-phones, but no wireless phones small enough to fit in a pocket?

sat-phones are not a real alternative, connection costs will always be way too high for normal use.

same with walkie-talkie type, they would not allow to use the phones the way we do now, no true interconnected network.
So no cell-phone towers, but more wifi hot-spots?

More car-phones, but no wireless phones small enough to fit in a pocket?

something like this probably:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT2
the carphone network was rather expensive to use, and if it gets stuck in that phase you never see the mobile use you have now.
instead pagers might stay popular

Last edited: