1992 Uk General Election-If the Polls had been right.

BBC-PARLMNT-Election-92-04-09-10-37-40.jpg

BBC Election Night
Exit Poll-
Conservative-39%-301 (286-316)
Labour-38%-298 (283-313)
Liberal Democrat-18%-24 (19-29)
Other-5%-28 (25-32)
(Margin of Error- +/- 2%)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Dimbleby: It seems that Sunderland South has been the first seat to declare. A Safe Labour seat Chris Mullen has been comfortably re-elected and lets take a look at the figures.

Labour-Chris Mullin-62%-31,365 +8%
Conservative-George Howe-25%-12,735 -4%
Liberal-John Lennox-11.9%-6,308 -3%
Green-Terry Scouler-1%-596
6% Swing to Labour.

DD: a Swing to Labour there of 6%, that confirms our exit poll. It looks as if Mr Major's Majority is in trouble.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DD- We think our third result will come from Basildon, The Essex town where David Ames Is Defending his Seat. Anna Ford is down there, We'll just find out how things are going.
Returning Officer-I Being the returning officer for the Basildon Constituency hereby give notice that the total number of votes for each candidate is as follows.
David Anthony Andrew Ames Conservative, Twenty thousand and sixty nine.
John Russell Potter Labour, Twenty five thousand eight hundred and sixty one (Cheers)
Geoffrey Williams Liberal Democrat, Seven thousand three hundred and seventy one and that John Russell Potter has been elected as member for said Constituency.

DD- a substantial swing from Conservative to Labour of 8%. Now Lets just have a look at the share of the vote for Basildon.
Labour-48%. Conservative-39%. Liberal Democrat-13%. And the change of vote is as follows Labour Up Ten Percent, Conservatives Down five Percent and The Liberal Democrats down five percent as well.

BBC Election Night
DD: With 322 Results in, Lets just see the State of the Parties.
Conservative-94 (-58)
Labour-216 (+58)
LibDem-9 (+1)
Nationalists-3 (N.C)
Other-0 (-1)
DD: Now our Forecast is predicting a Labour Majority of 7,Could be more could be less. Now to Peter to show us what this means for the New House of Commons Make up.

Peter: Well our exit poll earlier predicted a hung parliament, but its seems as if Mr Kinnock has outperformed our exit poll. Here they are on the Government benches moving towards the magic number 326 and they are passed it but by whisker, On Three twenty nine . Now On the opposition benches for the first time in nearly thirteen years, we have Mr Major and His Conservatives Two seventy , Followed by Mr Ashdown's Liberal Democrats on Twenty Sixand the Others on Twenty Six.

Now the Swing For Conservative To Labour Nationwide is Above 7%, but its larger in North and London. So Labour could be looking at gains of 100 or more from the Conservatives but with So many seats yet to declare the possibility of a hung parliament is still very real.

DD: Thank you Peter, Now I have Labour Shadow Chancellor John Smith With us from Monklands East. Mr Smith It seems that things have Shifted a lot since we first went on air and Your Party could well be heading for a majority it now seems.

John Smith: Well David, I think we should wait awhile before we can call this election. However going by the results we have seen so far I think it is crystal clear that John Major has lost the confident of the British People.

DD: Do you know if there has been any discussion between Mr Kinnock and Mr Ashdown about the chances of a Labour-Liberal Democrat coalition if in fact Labour does fall short of the three hundred twenty six seats needed to form government.

John Smith: Not to My Knowledge David, Throughout this campaign our goal has been to win enough seats to form government and it still remains our goal. I still believe It is too early to start talking about Coalitions when we still have over three hundred seats yet to declare.

DD: So there have not been any talks prior to Tonight about a deal on PR in exchange for support?

John Smith: David I know you are fond of the tabloids but As far as I know Neil Kinnock did not approach Paddy Ashdown nor did Ashdown offer support to Kinnock in exchange for a deal of proportional representation.

DD: Thank You John Smith.

Last edited:
So we see the 1997, results come 5 years early :D Will we see a Lab-Lib coalition?

Neil Kinnock as Prime Minister
Paddy Ashdown as Deputy Prime Minister

Sunkinnock.jpg

Please say The Sun has to eat its words :D

Please say The Sun has to eat its words :D

I doubt it. There is the ERM crisis still likely to happen. Labour's record of financial incompetence will be confirmed (so the Tories and much of the press will say). Much will depend on how Labour deal with the crisis and its aftermath - if they are able to remain in power.

I doubt it. There is the ERM crisis still likely to happen. Labour's record of financial incompetence will be confirmed (so the Tories and much of the press will say). Much will depend on how Labour deal with the crisis and its aftermath - if they are able to remain in power.

I doubt a Labour Treasury would spend £27 billion of reserves in propping up the pound like Conservative Prime Miniser John Major and Chancellor Norman Lamont did in 1992.

I would like to think that a Labour government would have maintained $24 billion foreign currency reserves, meaning that if the pound had fallen by the same amount, the UK would have made a £2.4 billion profit on sterling's devaluation.

Also joining the ERM was a Conservative policy, so Labour would spin this stating that Conservative fat cats mess, that Labour has to deal with and has done the best to help the working class.
Especially when they advertise that George Soros, was the most high profile of the currency market investors, by making over 1 billion pounds worth of profit by short selling sterling.

BBC-PARLMNT-Election-92-04-09-12-13-43.jpg

BBC Election Night
DD: If You are still with us, we are approaching half past three in the morning and we have 595 Results in and It is Now Clear that after Almost thirteen years on the Government Benches that the Conservatives have lost Power. So Far Labour Have Won 315, Up 86 seats on their 1987 performance. The Conservatives Trail Behind on 256, Down 88 seats on Thatcher's One Hundred and Two majority last time round. The Liberal Democrats on 17 Have Gained two seats and The Nationalists on 7 Are up One Seat.
Now to Mister Snow to show us the significance of this and Compare it to Previous elections.
peter+snow.jpg

PS: Yes Thank you David, Currently we are forecasting a Labour Majority of Thirteen seats or there abouts. Now If We Compare this to The Labour Parties Post war Election Victories we see it is their third largest majority. In 1945 Mister Attlee is swept into Power with a majority One hundred and Forty Six, And Squeaks in 5 years Later with a Majority of Five. Then In 1964 Harold Wilson Leads Labour Out of the Wilderness back to power with a Razor thin Majority of four, Two years Later Riding on the back of England's World Cup Victory Labour is Returned with an increased majority of Ninety eight.
Now The last Labour Government Formed a Minority Government after the February 1974 Election, in the second election of that year Wilson Manages once again to secure a majority but of only Three. Mister Kinnock will indeed be Forming the next government but how long will it be before we find ourselves at the polls once again?

DD: Thank You Once again Peter Snow.

Last edited:
So we've a Kinnock government with a tight majority. Looks like fun and games ahead. I wonder which direction you are going to go with the Leadership contest. Heseltine is obviously a contender though he in OTL had a heart attack in 1993 so even if he wins the leadership he might not stick around. Hurd is the other obvious contender but he is a bit posh and a bit grey.

So we've a Kinnock government with a tight majority. Looks like fun and games ahead. I wonder which direction you are going to go with the Leadership contest. Heseltine is obviously a contender though he in OTL had a heart attack in 1993 so even if he wins the leadership he might not stick around. Hurd is the other obvious contender but he is a bit posh and a bit grey.

Heseltine would be extremely divisive. He was seen by many of the Party members as one of the "traitors" who brought down Thatcher; for example, he was booed at Party conferences. With Major losing, her removal won't even have the justification that it kept the Tories in power.

Someone like Portillo would stand a good chance.

Heseltine would be extremely divisive. He was seen by many of the Party members as one of the "traitors" who brought down Thatcher; for example, he was booed at Party conferences. With Major losing, her removal won't even have the justification that it kept the Tories in power.

Someone like Portillo would stand a good chance.

I agree Heseltine would be very decisive but with Major and Thatcher out of the picture he is the biggest beast left. I think it might be a bit early for Portillo, he's only a Minister of State at this point, but one possibility is Lamont, though as Chancellor he might be too tainted by Major's defeat. Howard at Transport and Kenneth Baker at Home might also contest.

BBC Election Coverage
Final Results
meta-chart.jpeg

Kinnock Addresses Members at Labour Party HQ
1da7e93f-a1e7-4c8f-ab0b-c440a6b11109-620x372.jpeg

"Friends I hope you can hear me. Its seems we do not have a loud a speaker. It is now Clear that we have prevailed in this election and that we will indeed have a majority in the next parliament.
I Cannot convey the gratitude I feel towards every party worker, member and MP who without, this victory would never have been won. I must thank all of you for your commitment and support over the last thirteen years because god knows, they have been hard times for some of us they have been excruciatingly painful. Especially for those of us involved with the labour movement. And of Course I Must thank My beloved wife Glenys who throughout my time as Labour Leader has supported me without fail and if not for her I would never have become Leader of this great party. "

"Yesterday the people of Britain entrusted us with the privilege of serving them in government, we cannot and we will not betray that trust because we have come so far from the anguish we felt on that dreadful Morning of June the tenth Nineteen Eighty Three.... Having Known the despair and hopelessness in opposition We will take responsibility of government like never before and I promise to serve the people of Britain will dignity and distinction. We Promise to deliver on the vision we have illustrated during this campaign of compassion and progress. To quote Clement Attlee "We are a party of idealists, with an enduring faith in freedom, democracy and social justice" and with Thatcherism over and The light of the rising sun touching the diverse corners of this great nation of ours Bringing Hope and relief to people Everywhere From Cornwall to the Scottish Highlands, Manchester to Essex, From The rolling the hills of wales to White cliffs of dover, I say there is no need worry anymore. You now have a Labour Government."

meta-chart.jpeg

newsnight_1989_t1178a.jpg

Newsnight (April 10th 1992)
jezza-paxman.jpg

Jeremy Paxman: With Me now I have Former Secretary of State for The Environment for the last year and a half and Defence Secretary from 1983 to 1986 Michael Heseltine. Now Mister Heseltine in the wake of your Parties defeat last night do you think your knifing Margaret Thatcher in November of Nineteen Ninety was a mistake, and do feel responsible for your party losing government?
Michael Heseltine: No I Do not feel responsible for our election loss and I stand by my decision to Challenge Margaret Thatcher for the leadership. She had Become out of touch and unwilling to listen to views of her cabinet colleagues on Europe and The Community charge.
Jeremy Paxman: Surely the Conservative party would of faired better last night if Margaret Thatcher was still leader?
Michael Heseltine: I don't believe we would've, I think it would of been much worse and We'd be looking at Labour majority not of 20 something but of 60 odd. At the time of Thatcher's resignation we trailed by more than 8 percent in most polls and I think that would've continued and By Changing leader we saved more than 50 seats.
Jeremy Paxman: Do you honestly believe that having already defeated Kinnock once before, Thatcher could not of done it again considering she was the most electorally successful leader in your parties history.
Michael Heseltine: I do not Believe we would of done any better with Thatcher in charge as opposed to John Major, I think after eleven years in government Margaret was not only tired and but had lost touch with the people and She would not have been able to win a fourth election in a row.
Jeremy Paxman: Since John Major failed to win, If he resigns do you intend to run for the leadership of your party again?
Michael Heseltine: Mister Major has not expressed his intentions as to wether he will stay on or resign, So I really cant comment on Hypotheticals Jeremy.
Jeremy Paxman: Oh now C'mon, Mister Heseltine don't play this game with me, do you really expect me or the British People to believe that having already ran twice you do not intend to run again if John Major Resigns?
Michael Heseltine: Before I make any decision to run I would have to consult my Colleagues and decide what's best for the party.
Jeremy Paxman: Considering you knifed your parties most successful leader in all aspects, in the back do you really expect me to believe you put what is best for the conservative party ahead of your own political ambitions Mister Heseltine?
Michael Heseltine: Yes I do Jeremy, I'm a member of the Conservative party and every political decision I make is for the good of my party.
Jeremy Paxman: So Knifing Margaret Thatcher in the back was good for the conservative party was it?
Michael Heseltine: Considering it saved the jobs of a lot of backbench MP's I believe it was, Also I did not Knife her in the back. The animosity between me and Margaret had been known publicly for quite awhile and I took the decision to challenge based on the Public reaction to the community charge and the dissatisfaction with her leadership amongst My Conservative Colleagues.
Jeremy Paxman: We are out of time But Thank you Mister Heseltine.

newsnight_1989_t1178a.jpg

Kinnock Announces Cabinet.
Prime Minister-Neil Kinnock
Deputy Prime Minister and Home Secretary-Roy Hattersley
Chancellor of the Exchequer-John Smith
Foreign Secretary-Gerald Kaufman
Defence Secretary-Martin O'Neil
Trade and Industry Secretary-Jack Straw
Energy Secretary-Tony Blair
Leader of the House of Commons-Gordon Brown
Chief Secretary to the Treasury-Margaret Beckett
Health Secretary-Frank Dobson
Social Security Secretary-Michael Meacher
Employment- Secretary-John Prescott
Education and Science Secretary-Bryan Gould
Transport Secretary-Jack Cunningham
Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Secretary-David Clark
Environment Secretary-Robin Cook
Scotland Secretary-Donald Dewar
Northern Ireland Secretary-Mo Mowlem
Wales Secretary-Ron Davies
Chief Whip in the House of Commons-Derek Foster

John Major Announces Intentions to Stay on as Leader. (Extract from the Times Newspaper April 24th,1992)
_38597429_major238.jpg

Yesterday John Major Confronted the press for the first time since leaving Downing Street, He Expressed his Intention to stay on as Conservative leader in the early months of the Kinnock Labour Government but he did rule out remaining as opposition leader until the Next Election. He said the reason he intends to stay on as Leader is to secure some stability within the Conservative Party. Many Tory MPs took to the airwaves to Express their own disapproval at Majors decision to stay on in the short term Not Least Former party Chairman and Trade and Industry Secretary Norman Tebbit. Tebbit who in an appearance on Panorama Said "Mister Major should resign as leader immediately and make way for a new leader capable of Winning the Next Election. Meanwhile Prime Minister Kinnock Introduced the Devolution Legislation and the Introduction of a New Minimum wage Legislation to The House of Commons.

Lamont Touted as Major's Successor by Thatcher
(Extract From The Sun May 10th)
article-1115863-00F0FF6700000191-47_468x471.jpg

When asked who She thought was best fit to replace Major as leader of the Tories she replied "I think Norman Lamont Probably the most sensible and electable choice for Conservative MPs". Thatchers Comments will go along way to securing Lamont's status in most Conservatives minds as Major's Inevitable Successor.

Devolution and Minimum Wage pass Commons with Additional Liberal Democrat Support
(Extract from The Guardian May 23rd)
House-of-Commons-parliame-007.jpg

Both the Devolution act and the Minimum wage Legislation Passed The Commons Comfortably with Liberal Democrat support. In a Subsequent press conference Prime Minister Kinnock stated "I am extremely pleased that both these pieces of Legislation have passed the Commons and May I say this is exactly the type of Progressive Legislation Britain has been missing over last thirteen years".

UK signs the Maastricht Treaty with a reduced opt-out. A referendum is held in 1995/96 for Euro membership, but Labour lose it.

The economy is otherwise stable, due to recovery from the recession and retaining Thatcherism. The peace process in Ulster still exists, but there are few mainland bombings.

In 1997, Labour win again, but their majority is smaller. By this time, Major has resigned, and Clarke, William Hague, and Michael Howard all compete for leadership. Kinnock is still PM, though Blair and Brown gain two of the Great Offices of State. Smith still dies, and Brown becomes Chancellor, and Blair becomes Foreign Secretary.