There are numerous ways in which this could happen. For example, have Carter or the 1976 Democratic nominee lose to Ford or Reagan. Then by 1980, when things go awry for the incumbent Republican. the people will now be sick of 12 years of GOP rule and the turmoil of the years 1978-80, and crush them in the elections of that year.

For the Democratic nominee, it could be Carter (if he does not run in 1976), Ted Kennedy, Scoop Jackson (though he might die sooner), etc.

The Democratic landslide would also spread to Congress. IMO, The Democrats would have 70 Senate seats, enabling them to pass much of their agenda in the period 1981-82.

Economics-wise, the middle class, working class and poor will be protected with safety nets from the Democrats.

UHC, world-class education and whatnot will be promoted.

As the party of environmentalism, I can see them promoting HSR, clean energy, etc.

Socially, it depends. If a social conservative like Carter or a non-racist George Wallace (or any non-racist version of him wins), social conservatism could be protected more than IOTL because the Democratic center would still be alive. If it's a liberal Democrat, I think the US becomes more socially liberal than IOTL.

I don't know about 1982 on inflation yet. If the Democrats pass much of their agenda in 1981-82, and since their programs would raise inflation, would they be forced to accept Volcker's money-tightening policy?

How about detente?

What do you think, people? What would happen in a Democratic 1980s?

You're overlooking the elephant in the room. The whole reason for the Reagan revolution was, starting with Kennedy, you had a liberal revolution that continued on throughout the Nixon years. Civil rights, Women's rights, EPA, Medicare/Medicaid, just to name a few. Reagan rode a wave of sentiment that wanted to halt that and roll it back. Even if Ford wins in 76, I dont think that changes anything anymore than Carter was revolutionary from 76-80. You need an earlier POD and some major butterflies to pull this off.

You're overlooking the elephant in the room. The whole reason for the Reagan revolution was, starting with Kennedy, you had a liberal revolution that continued on throughout the Nixon years. Civil rights, Women's rights, EPA, Medicare/Medicaid, just to name a few. Reagan rode a wave of sentiment that wanted to halt that and roll it back. Even if Ford wins in 76, I dont think that changes anything anymore than Carter was revolutionary from 76-80. You need an earlier POD and some major butterflies to pull this off.

Possibly a moderation of the 1980s conservative revolution (GHW Bush wins and cuts taxes to a lesser degree, doesn't play hardball with the air traffic controllers, no "Evil Empire" speech, no playing nice with the religious right) so the rebound to the left goes more toward universal health care and job protection.

I'll try to address this in two parts. (Otherwise with my tendency to ramble it'll go on forever!) So here's Part I, getting from a POD through the 1980 elections that manage to produce a Democrat in the White House.

I think for the kind of thing the OP is describing (I will get to @Dunning Kruger's point which is essentially about how the lines were drawn for partisan realignment, and as much as realignment a partisan orientation that like most things "Sixties" started out then but didn't really gather steam until the Seventies) the POD is Ford being reelected and, for what the OP has asked, I think it's an essential POD. You need that or you need a markedly different Democrat in 1976 and I don't mean another outside-the-box technocratic prophet like Jerry Brown (a West-Coast-culture equivalent for Carter in a number of ways), I mean someone like a Hubert Humphrey who stayed just healthy enough to get through all or most of one term and left behind them a successor to carry on. Otherwise I think you need to start with Ford for a number of reasons.

First, there is the way Ford nearly came back to win in 1976. Change less than thirty thousand votes in Ohio and Mississippi (the later, say, through Reagan campaigning harder for him down there, the former because butterflies are pretty) and you have Ford as president. But how has he gotten there? He's lost the popular vote by a margin of nearly two percent, like Trump-v-Clinton bad but with less third-party meddling. But (almost more like 2000 than 2016) there is third-party "meddling" because Carter lost a series of smaller states from Maine to Iowa to Oregon by less than the number of angry lefty Democrats who protest-voted for Gene McCarthy. So the president with an asterisk by his name now has an even bigger asterisk by it (first unelected president, now first in the 20th century to lose the popular vote and win the EC.) That doesn't help. Ford has to deal with all the same issues in the later Seventies. He hopefully manages to not be drawn into any small scale splendid little wars by Henry Kissinger feeling his manhood is fading (and Henry will go during this term from some combo of sheer exhaustion, losing bureaucratic battles to Rumsfeld and Cheney, and being pushed out to placate the New Right. Probably he gets replaced by Poppy Bush.) His vigorously right-wing Treasury Secretary, William Simon, is going to push for more Wall Street deregulation several years ahead of OTL's Don Regan (they were buddies, as it happens), and in keeping with the strongly fiscally conservative Ford will fight hard to limit the scale of any stimulus packages the Democratic Congress is pushing. There will be some increases in spending in terms of defense, but only some (Rumsfeld will probably get bogged down fighting for the B-1 boondoggle and at some point, now that James Baker -- that's Bush consigliere Baker -- has successfully managed Ford's campaign, when Cheney's ego leads him towards politics they will combine resources to marginalize Rumsfeld, probably trying to push him out of the Pentagon where Rummy was deeply unpopular even then.) So the recovery of 1977-78 will probably be a bit weaker, but also there will be more efforts at clamping down on inflation and Ford will talk these up. If he hasn't goofed other things too badly he will be in semi-decent shape around '78 or so just as Carter was. He will do some things that are deeply unpopular with the New Right, in particular pushing a Panama Canal Treaty (to prevent another war in another jungle) and pressing for the Equal Rights Amendment. So he'll need to throw them a bone or two and one at least will be trying to get some right-wing jurist (maybe Bork, maybe a young Scalia or J. Harvie Willkinson) onto the Court when Potter Stewart retires because there's a friendly POTUS to nominate his replacement. That, plus pushing against labor law reform, plus a relatively jobs-weak recovery, will all give the Democratic Congress ammunition.

Where it all goes to hell is foreign policy, and that starts really by around the beginning of '79? Which quasi-fascist government does the US tacitly back if there's a Beagle Islands war between Chile and Argentina and how bad are the optics? How involved does the US get trying early on to suppress revolt in El Salvador and in trying to prevent the Sandanistas from taking advantage of the broad popular movement to topple Somoza? How much does that raise hackles so shortly after Vietnam? Also, the US will get sucked further and further into propping up Iran as the Shah is dying (as I pointed out in another thread, probably aiming for some junta-as-trusteeship for the Shah's teenage son) and the Soviets will get sucked further into Afghanistan. Why? Because for reasons that are not easily butterflied Washington and Moscow's approaches, respectively, to those two countries were fundamentally reactive rather than proactive for most of the Seventies. So you get the Soviets moving into Afghanistan with a more conservative government in DC (albeit one committed to détente) reacting, and you get a much more aggressive effort to prop up the Peacock Throne's house of cards by gunning people down in the streets. But that's really only going to last as long as the Shah, tops: by the time he's unfit to function much less dead, with a zit-faced boy on the throne and a coterie of generals as incompetent as they were corrupt in place, as soon as the average Iranian corporal is tired of making more martyrs in the streets it's all going to go to hell. With it there will be attacks on Americans fleeing the country, there will be serious American saber-rattling because that's what the Ford administration did instinctively any time it looked weak, there will be an oil shock hitting even closer to the election so the bow wave of American anger that cratered Carter's popularity between January and summer of '79 will happen even closer to the election. There's a decent probability that there will be some kind of hostage crisis, too, and while Ford was a prudent enough man (Mayaguez aside) to not just charge in or set the Iranian oil patch ablaze with B-52s, things will be getting scary in the Middle East, the hard right will get after Ford for "losing" Iran because it's primary season and all Bob Dole's challengers except Howard Baker and maybe (if he runs ITTL) John Anderson will be from the right, inflation will shoot up again, and the Ford administration's aggressively orthodox efforts to corral inflation will help unemployment shoot up too. So there's all that going on.

Then there's the primaries. I still suspect, so long as John Sears either behaves better or gets fired as IOTL, those belong to Reagan. He voices @Dunning Kruger's partisan dividing line better than anyone. He knew how to win crossover Wallace voters by being racist without being bigoted (i.e. attacking those to his left for favoring minorities over whites, rather than because he hated minorities -- though "strapping young bucks" was pushing it), he had all the charisma Bob Dole didn't, and he'd nearly beaten a sitting president four years prior. Dole's campaign will have ironclad institutional ties and will fight hard, and it will not be easy for Reagan. But Reagan can run criticizing Dole for Ford's problems both in general terms and from the right. This will, however, be a different campaign year from OTL's 1980. To win the nomination, Reagan is going to have to stay to the right longer in the primaries because TTL's Bob Dole has the institutional and fundraising powers of the heir apparent and has to defend the incumbent's record. Reagan can't just say "I'm a sunny bright tomorrow not this gloomy Carter you all hate" and pretend to moderate. He will say and do things he needs to get enough delegates that can be hung round his neck in the general, just as it would've been the case if he'd taken the nomination in '76. And if there is any John Anderson-like movement it's more likely to hurt Reagan by siphoning liberal Republicans (already relabeling as "independents" in some places) because the party in opposition is usually more unified (we're seeing that now among Democrats even as they have little to no parliamentary leverage with their Congressional minorities.)

So what about the Dems? Who runs, for one? Probably Carter does not, despite being the popular vote winner last time he managed ITTL to blow a tremendous summer lead and is seen as snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. John Glenn's a little too new and up for Senate reelection. Birch Bayh is up for reelection to and dealing either with illness or death of his beloved wife Marvella (her breast cancer had been aggressive and repetitive since 1972, ITTL she died in '79.) I think the likeliest folks are:

- Hugh Carey: the man who saved New York, a guy who's proven he can overcome economic bad times, who had (quietly) a record as one of the first anti-Vietnam congressmen (Carey was also a decorated WWII vet) and sponsored some of the most important legislation benefiting children in the Sixties, a good Catholic who can help keep "Catholic ethnics" and unionized workers/families on board, and he's a big bluff man with a deep voice and a rock-solid demeanor dealing with serious issues: don't underestimate how much better that plays against Reagan than Deputy Dawg Carter

- Edmund Muskie: sick of being in the Senate he seizes his last chance for the big play. Also a budget hawk who was nevertheless a leading environmentalist and friend of the AFL-CIO, a darling of political columnists, and probably spent Ford's second term working very deliberately on his rep as a senate leader.

- Fritz Mondale: seen as the good thing about Carter's run and Hubert Humphrey's protégé, he probably runs. But past Iowa the map is not so great for him to try and get past Carey and Muskie in New England and the Northeast, and the next guy in Florida.

- Reubin Askew: the reforming Southerner who should've run in 1976 instead of Carter, Askew (and I know people who knew him and have spent decades deep in Florida politics including my father's best friend) was a deeply decent man, a much more charismatic and engaging one than Carter, lived up to his nickname "Reubin the Good" and while he was a social conservative on abortion and (strangely) no-fault divorce he was a flaming liberal on economic equality, civil rights (one of the first pro-civil rights state legislators in Florida, and backed the Equal Rights Amendment to the hilt), and was a successful anti-corruption crusader in one of the most corrupt states in the union. With his personal connections throughout the region he can dominate much of it against the Catholic Yankees Carey and Muskie, enough to make him look like maybe he could win and definitely enough to be indispensable to whoever does win.

- Scoop Jackson: I think he runs, and runs to the right of Ford on the Cold War, but again his map early on is harsh and he may as much as anything be testing the water for the two-spot on the ticket.

- Jerry Brown. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. He probably gets reelected comfortably in anti-Ford midterms in '78, but for a reforming civil libertarian technocrat governor of the biggest state, he's his own worst enemy. "Governor Moonbeam" was a creation of his famously disastrous 1980 campaign. He needs not to repeat that here but there's a danger he will.

How does all that work out? Could be one of several ways. I think unless he gets the best possible campaign team around him the early map forces Mondale and Jackson out. I think Askew performs great in the south and does decently but not well enough elsewhere. I think Brown likewise has trouble breaking through except with some excited college students in the early states. I think Muskie is a number of people's safe play but he's a brittle and temeramental campaigner not known for organizing well (those things as much as the Canuck letter ended up killing him in '72.) I think it comes down to Carey, Muskie, and Askew, and that until the big run of primaries (led by California) on June 3rd no one has a majority, but Carey could claim the loyalty of "Reagan Democrat" auto workers who trust him to care about their jobs and paychecks and has the liberal-cultural endorsement of Teddy Kennedy so he's the strongest of the three. I think given the chance to sit down together Askew just likes Carey the fellow governor better than the intellectual and brisk Muskie. So I think they form a team and it's Carey/Askew '80 on that side. Your mileage may vary.

Reagan picks someone who will complement him (maybe Howard Baker to counteract Askew, maybe Charles Percy to make a play for Illinois' 26 electoral votes, maybe even Connally to go for more Reagan Democrats.) He will run hard and he will be good in debates. There may be some rally round the flag depending on what Ford does or does not screw up in the Persian Gulf. He will run ads that will appeal to "leaners" prejudices and brand the Democratic nominee a tax-and-spend leftist. It will do him some good. But he will get hit with the right-wing things he said in the primaries, by partisan Democratic turnout because twelve years of Watergate and Vietnam and inflation and unemployment and now the Middle East dammit, maybe by a liberal-Republican revolt like Perot shanking Poppy Bush in '92. Mondale will struggle but if he has good people around him he could weather it with a good running mate. Muskie is the most vulnerable and the best chance for Reagan to sneak a win, really the only chance. Carey/Askew are I think moderate enough where they need to be to keep votes they need in the Midwest and upland South that, combined with the other structural factors in their favor (insecurity, inflation, unemployment, creating doubts about how radical Reagan's solutions are) that they can win in the clear. Not by a lot because the country is ever more partisan, but definitely in the clear.

So that gets us to the Eighties (whew!) and Part Two.

So where are things in this brave new Eighties? You have probably either President Carey or President Mondale (I lean Carey). You have the opportunity in the next four to eight years to make some additions to the Supreme Court. You have a broadly similar House: ITTL things probably improved a little rather than worsening in the massive Democratic majority. After 1980 that majority is broadly similar in size (probably not much movement on the needle) but more partisan in composition: there are fewer Boll Weevils (the conservative Southerners who often voted with the GOP after the Civil Rights Act), and closer correlation between what party a Representative is and which party's presidential candidate carried that state. That will not be total yet but the deeply partisan nature of TTL's 1980 election will have accelerated that trend. On that point the Dems will have taken some losses in the Senate: not twelve seats like OTL I can't see Gravel, McGovern, and Bayh surviving in such pro-Reagan states and another one or two will probably go down by chance. To get things done a new Democratic administration that shows sense will have to placate two particular conservative Democrats: Russell Long who basically owns the Finance Committee where the Senate budgets and handles any and all tax reforms, and John Stennis who owns the Armed Services Committee. So, a major comprehensive energy plan that includes controls on some of the pricing process, investment in renewable sources, and a major jobs program in weatherizing and conservation, will also have provisions for scads of new Gulf drilling permits because it's domestic oil and it keeps ol'Russell happy. Likewise a defense buildup will involve a major naval component, partly because they are the military's beat cops and suited to protecting Persian Gulf tankers, partly because shipbuilding is very good for Mississippi (and for more liberal younger Mississippi Dems whose base is in the unionized workforces of those shipyards and the African American population.)

They will be a hell of a lot better on the environment than James Watt, but not all roses. There will be touchy-feely greenness because its sponsors like Gaylord Nelson survive the 1980 election. There will be new national parks, and there will be stringent pollution standards. Part of this will be tied to the fact that despite various corporations' grudges against it there are jobs in environmental cleanup, from union workers brownfielding the Love Canal and other places to lawers and paralegals working for the federal government to sue corporations in violation. There will be continued investment in a wide range of alternate energy sources, and solar is likely to remain the sexiest. But there will also be efforts to bolster domestic drilling in the Southwest and Gulf Coast, a short-term solution for peak American oil and again, a jobs provider. So there will still be issues with carbon in the atmosphere. But fuel efficiency standards and emission standards for cars will continue to go up as they did in our Eighties only more so.

Jobs will be a watchword. A couple of things happened with the early Eighties recovery in OTL. First the Reaganauts effed up royally by trying to supply-side their way out and made things worse, with a bow wave of crap that peaked in 1982. Second they scrambled to limit the damage, raising some taxes again but selectively, and combining a one-two of ruthless interest rate hikes by Paul Volcker with "military Keynesianism" (and a series of incentives intended to support the growth of Silicon Valley and the survival of Chrysler in which the government had already invested, both things led by a Democratic Congress.) The key here will be "more so." There will be significant tax reform but any cuts will be weighted towards the lower end, and while top rates drop so will at least some of the exemptions. Rather than running a significant chunk of the deficit as pure loss of revenue there will be an even more Keynesian deficit, combining a military buildup with deliberate jobs p rograms in infrastructure and energy. At the same time the administration will probably accept Paul Volcker's judgment because most leading Dems were becoming deficit and inflation hawks by the end of the Seventies (Mondale's a prime example) because inflation wasn't just bad for the creditor classes, it devoured unionized workers' paychecks. So they will be careful with inflation and whether it's Volcker or someone else use the 800 lb. gorilla of interest rates on it and otherwise apply a tidier, more focused, and more equitable version of what Reagan did IOTL. The crucial difference will be jobs: the Reaganites like the Thatcherites could live with the spiraling unemployment side-effect of monetarist treatment of inflation because that unemployment broke large industrial unions which to them was a feature not a bug. A Democratic administration is going to try to create and preserve work as much as possible. There will be issuesm and there will sometimes be fights with the unions (even as the administration backs labor law reform to the hilt because they know who won them the election) and there will be stumbles over things like trying to save as much of the American steel industry as they can, for which no one at the time had particularly good ideas when faced with the emergence of Japan and Korea on the world markets and later India too. But they will fight like hell to keep people in work while they bring down inflation and apply major reinvestment in infrastructure, education, and defense to stimulate the economy. So it may not be a white-hot Wall Street-driven boom quite like OTL but by 1984 things are going to start looking significantly better.

There will be a defense buildup. It will look broadly like Carter's buildup at the strategic level: no B-1 or MX, more stealth and Trident. Significantly more of it will be conventional than nuclear. This will be for two reasons, refocusing on nuclear arms control when it becomes possible keeps the left happy, does help keep arsenals from spiraling out of control (so that battlefield weapons are a first resort for escalation or "loose nukes" could pose a problem), and there's just a hell of a lot of industrial-made stuff in a conventional buildup made by unionized workers in key battleground states and Democratic strongholds. It also maintains the appearance, indeed the reality, of toughness. It provides greater resources available to sustain a conventional defense of Europe and the reinforcement troops for that can double as an intervention force for the Middle East (so they're likely to focus on heavy Army units more than the "light division" fixation of the Reagan years), and a major naval buildup because shipyards are Democratic turf and containing the Soviet sub fleet is a real issue. Where and when they can the administration will pursue a thaw in relations with Moscow and renewed strategic arms control (even chemical and tactical weapons if possible.) They may not be Jimmy Carter but there will be basic attention to human rights where possible in foreign policy. They will be aggressively pro-Israel which will cause dilemmas when TTL's Israel hits that structural breaking point that most TLs' Israels will when it can't abide the Lebanon situation any longer and goes in with delusions of grandeur about what outcomes it can achieve. There will be substantially more liberal policy in Latin America. There will probably still be significant cozying up to the Saudis (not to "Bandar Bush" level but significant, because leveling out oil prices weakens Soviet exports and contains inflation) and aid to the mujahedin because with all his connections it's likely Zbig Brzezinski will have a significant role in a Democratic administration. There will be lots of talk and high-profile efforts for more autonomy in the Warsaw Pact because it plays well with "ethnic voters" around the major old cities. In terms of "events, dear boy, events" of the sort that crop up in any administration a Mondale presidency is going to be more cautious about the use of force than a Carey presidency but both are a lot less likely to do things like make open-ended commitments in Beirut or that sort of thing. They will screw some things up out of idealism or inexperience, but there will be meaningfully less (not none, but meaningfully less) bankrolling of awfulness in the name of anti-Communism particularly if the professional arms of the State Department can help mediate acceptable outcomes that don't dent America's Cold War position.

Health care is probably going to have to wait for a second term, which if the economy is humming again by 1984 and things are calming down with the Russians seems on the cards. There will be losses in '82 but with an emphasis on employment and the social safety net (rather than an acceptance of unemployment as a breaker of workers' bargaining power) they will be less extreme and some GOP fire will be self-directed (primarying moderates and liberals regardless of who wins in the fall to purify the party.) With characteristic ruthlessness the OG New Right may view a Republican candidacy in '84 as a sacrificial lamb, hoping that what they (Austrian economists or supply-siders all) see as a fiscal house of cards will crash later, setting their sights on '88. Either Carey or Mondale will concentrate first on preserving jobs and righting the economy before getting into health care again. If there's a boom on again in the mid-Eighties, then they will look to a comprehensive health care solution, with a Democratic Congress buoyed by the '84 cycle, as a fundamental legacy project and spend maximum political capital to get a solution that will probably look like a more generous version of "Carter care" or a modified Medicare-for-all that still has a significant role for supplemental private insurers negotiating rates and coverage by bargaining with the federal government collective-style. Among the branches of tax reform will be efforts to secure the revenue lines for the Social Security trust fund in ways that put less pressure on through payroll taxes.

1988 then becomes an important ideological battle for the Dems. It's the first cycle where there can be a real surge forward for the "New Democrats" and again one of their foremost figures, if he has kept his nose (and other parts) clean will be Gary Hart. The sitting VP, and there are good odds it's Askew if it's anyone, will be older, more conservative on cultural issues because that helped keep an older generation of working-class voters on board in 1980, and more vulnerable in an economy where entrepreneurs in new industries and a resurgent financial sector figure they can buy influence with hip younger Democrats thanks to their cultural liberalism. There are other young faces who might appear ('80 and '84 are more favorable Democratic years ITTL, it would be interesting if it was Bill Clinton who flamed out with his pants down ITTL rather than Gary Hart) and some establishment figures who would see this as their chance (John Glenn's a prominent example) but I think '88 would be a race between a VP who sees it as his turn, a New Democratic champion, and someone (a Jesse Jackson-like figure if not the man himself) who wants to take things like the pro-union stance of of the 80-88 administration, national health reform, investment in the inner cities, and so on, and mobilize minorities and the Democratic left to demand more aggressive version of the same. I suspect the New Dem wins through by hiring good campaign talent and drawing money, including some unions who can see the future and want the new guy to owe them one. The GOP runs a New Right champion in response, both sides pick either (it could split or they could each make the same choice) a talented young face or a rock-solid establishment figure, either way Southern or Midwestern, as a running mate. And the outcome depends on the economy. There has probably been a market correction at some point between the turnaround underway by '84 and the next presidential cycle. Timing and intensity is everything, because if it's been well handled then the New Dem champion will promise to square the circle, protect the social-democratic compacts of his predecessor like labor law reform and national health care, while at the same time opening up a bright new world of entrepreneurialism and making knowledge workers out of steelworkers' kids. If the economy's not in bad shape this is probably a good sell, turning a fresh page. But at the same time it will acceerate OTL trends to earlier start dates: partisan GOP regions will be more radicalized in order to guarantee a solid party base, and years in opposition hardens opinions. So the Nineties but faster.

Nice @Yes . But question: But how will the Democrats lose seats in 1980 when the Republicans get the blame for the late-1970s crisis? Wouldn't they expand their majorities then?

And I guess the budget deficit's higher ITTL.

And AFAIK Reagan's 1984 OTL landslide finally killed New Deal liberalism but it won't happen here. So why a New Democrat formation when they were created after OTL Reagan's wins?

Last edited:
I think it's entirely possible if Ted Kennedy does not have that disastrous interview with Mudd.

Not saying that without that he would win, although it totally killed the momentum of his campaign and was probably a leading cause as to why he failed to beat Jimmy Carter in the primaries that year, but I am saying that there is a chance.

Had that interview not happened and Ted Kennedy had been able to run a strong primary campaign from beginning to end, even with the attempts by the Democrats to unite around the president during the Iran Hostage Crisis, I think Kennedy could have taken it.

With Kennedy verses Reagan, you would really have the liberal ideals of the past twenty years standing opposed to the conservative ideals that would dominate the next forty. I think that Ted Kennedy in 1980 is the best chance you have for somebody to beat Reagan, and if Reagan lost when he was 69 years old, he's not running again.

Ted Kennedy as president would be hugely consequential. Carter's people are the ones who finally ended stagflation so Kennedy would have the benefit of a better economy when he's in office so the economic boom of the '80s would go down a similar (if not the same) path.

Kennedy also supported the Equal Rights Amendment and Universal Healthcare, which I could see both being passed. I'm not sure if Ted Kennedy had enough charisma to create nearly as powerful a cult of personality as Reagan (so powerful in fact that this interactive graph shows people who were in their late teens to early 20s at the time that he took office being nearly 60% Republican), but having a liberal Democrat in the White House for such an era of good feelings would completely transform modern US politics.

I am also a huge fan of Senator John Glenn of Ohio being Ted Kennedy's VP. He could even have a successful presidential run himself in '88, if the US could have sixteen years of a Democrat as president.

This is a reasonable point and certainly things like Roe v. Wade gave energy to the conservative movement. However, if Ford won, it would have been 12 tumultuous years with the GOP at the helm and a Democrat being able to blame the GOP for all the ills of the economic ills of the 1970s, which were substantial in number and very hard on the middle class. It is easy to see legacy New Deal voters saying enough and voting pocketbook issues rather than being concerned with social change. Social change, it should be added, that happened on the Republican watch. While I'm not saying that it would be impossible for Reagan to win, I am saying that it would have gone up against some strong hurdles electorally.

I think it's entirely possible if Ted Kennedy does not have that disastrous interview with Mudd....

The Mudd interview was a symptom of a larger problem: there was no compelling rationale behind the Kennedy candidacy. The interview merely exposed a larger problem. Kennedy's was a flawed and troubled candidacy and one that was seriously out of step with the times. He was promising a liberal restoration when the flaws of that model had become apparent to many.

1978 Senate elections
Robert Byrd-Democratic: 65+4
Howard Baker-Republican: 34-4
Independent: 1_

1980 Senate elections
Robert Byrd-Democratic: 69+4
Howard Baker-Republican: 30-4
Independent: 1_

Last edited:
an even bigger elephant in the room... foreign events that really shook up the nation. Hostage crisis, oil embargo, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, all of which followed the dismal retreat of the US from the Vietnam war several years earlier. A big part of the Reagan revolution was the idea that the US needed a President who would stand up to a hostile world. I really doubt that the US would elect a far left Democrat who would put the nation into a semi-socialist workers paradise... they will want someone who will rearm the US and 'stand tall'...

This is a reasonable point and certainly things like Roe v. Wade gave energy to the conservative movement. However, if Ford won, it would have been 12 tumultuous years with the GOP at the helm and a Democrat being able to blame the GOP for all the ills of the economic ills of the 1970s, which were substantial in number and very hard on the middle class. It is easy to see legacy New Deal voters saying enough and voting pocketbook issues rather than being concerned with social change. Social change, it should be added, that happened on the Republican watch. While I'm not saying that it would be impossible for Reagan to win, I am saying that it would have gone up against some strong hurdles electorally.

I strongly disagree with Reagan or another far right wing candidate being a historical inevitability. Reagan only had a 51% approval rating going into the White House, the lowest of any modern president until a super recent one…

I don't think it's likely we as a country could have endlessly shifted to the left, but I think going so far right was not likely at all. Had Reagan not one or a narrative of him being too old took over, right wing politics would not be so dominant today.

If a liberal won instead, we certainly would have seen a further left wing shift and then probably have a moderate win in the '90s.

The Mudd interview was a symptom of a larger problem: there was no compelling rationale behind the Kennedy candidacy. The interview merely exposed a larger problem. Kennedy's was a flawed and troubled candidacy and one that was seriously out of step with the times. He was promising a liberal restoration when the flaws of that model had become apparent to many.

I'd argue there were very good reasons for him to run. Carter did not seem up to the job, across the world disastrous events for the US were taking place. The USSR invaded Afghanistan, Iran would soon be holding Americans hostage, and even though Carter had found the solution to stagflation, the effects weren't apparent yet. He would go on to lose the general election with 9% less of the popular vote.

Had Ted Kennedy spoken plainly that he believed Carter had taken the Democratic Party in the wrong direction and presented a series of foreign policy failures, then that would have been fine. Instead he was asked why he wanted to be president and fumbled around saying nonsense for a few minutes.

an even bigger elephant in the room... foreign events that really shook up the nation. Hostage crisis, oil embargo, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, all of which followed the dismal retreat of the US from the Vietnam war several years earlier. A big part of the Reagan revolution was the idea that the US needed a President who would stand up to a hostile world. I really doubt that the US would elect a far left Democrat who would put the nation into a semi-socialist workers paradise... they will want someone who will rearm the US and 'stand tall'...

I agree completely, which is why I think Ted Kennedy could have done well. Former college football player, brother oversaw the Cuban Missile Crisis (which was a massive victory compared to more recent events), has two war hero brothers (John and Joseph), and briefly served in the military himsrlf in the '50s.

Ted is one of the only liberal Democrats I can find who could also lay claim to a strong foreign policy.

Nice @Yes . But question: But how will the Democrats lose seats in 1980 when the Republicans get the blame for the late-1970s crisis? Wouldn't they expand their majorities then?
It's the "nowhere but down" principle in action. Going into the election OTL, the Democrats held 277 seats. That's 63% of the House of Representatives! Now, that's gerrymandered to hell and gone--they held 243 seats after the election, still 55% of the House, on 50.5% of the popular vote--but nevertheless it's almost inevitable that the Democrats will lose seats in 1980. They're just holding too many seats for all but the most extreme scenarios to prevent them from losing. You'd need something like Ford turning out to be the KGB's "Agent Azalea" or some such to even get close.

...I'd argue there were very good reasons for him to run. Carter did not seem up to the job, across the world disastrous events for the US were taking place. The USSR invaded Afghanistan, Iran would soon be holding Americans hostage, and even though Carter had found the solution to stagflation, the effects weren't apparent yet. He would go on to lose the general election with 9% less of the popular vote.

Had Ted Kennedy spoken plainly that he believed Carter had taken the Democratic Party in the wrong direction and presented a series of foreign policy failures, then that would have been fine. Instead he was asked why he wanted to be president and fumbled around saying nonsense for a few minutes.

I agree completely, which is why I think Ted Kennedy could have done well. Former college football player, brother oversaw the Cuban Missile Crisis (which was a massive victory compared to more recent events), has two war hero brothers (John and Joseph), and briefly served in the military himsrlf in the '50s.

Ted is one of the only liberal Democrats I can find who could also lay claim to a strong foreign policy.

These are reasonable arguments. The big problem with Kennedy's candidacy wasn't that there weren't reasons for him to run, it's that he was pretty bad at articulating his own case. Take a look at his announcement speech on YouTube sometime. It's a muddled mess devoid of a sense of clear purpose. I should have been clearer on this point, but without a clear reason for running being expressed to the voters, any primary challenge is an uphill climb.

And I guess the budget deficit's higher ITTL.

And AFAIK Reagan's 1984 OTL landslide finally killed New Deal liberalism but it won't happen here. So why a New Democrat formation when they were created after OTL Reagan's wins?

A very good pair of questions. The answer to the first one (why do they lose Senate seats in 1980?) Is best answered by the larger phenomenon of increasing partisanship in the electorate coming out of the Sixties and, while it's encouraged by both sides, it is very much encouraged by the New Right. More than that, an important part of New Right strategy was building strongholds, bases of operations if you will, that they could hold come what may and use as leverage within the party to expand their influence into new and other areas over time. Alaska, South Dakota, and to an only slightly lesser degree Indiana were all such bases of operations, and all tended towards party-line voting as well, i.e. there was less voting for the local Democrat who I know and like rather than that wild-eyed national hippie from Elsewhere who needs to be beaten by a good, safe Republican. So even I a good year Gravel, McGovern, Bayh, and perhaps one maybe two others of the senators who were up for reelection in 1980 (the senatorial map shifts its favorabilities for each party back and forth every two years, it's the accident of what bits of geography are up next in the three-class cycle of the Senate) were canaries in the coal mine of partisan stratification. Just plain tough seats to win in any year, and in a year with Reagan there to mobilize the faithful on top of the leaners, the loss margins were too deep to make up because America has no such thing as "national swing" like, say, British election models. Bayh might have had a snowball's chance given he ran IOTL against Quayle, but even then it would be tight and against a better candidate (like outgoing governor Otis Bowen, say) Bayh was screwed. Dick Lugar had nearly knocked him off in the very-Democratic '74 cycle already before gaining a Senate seat in '76.

I should say, first, that Gary Hart was never quite the Rockefeller-Republican-dressed-as-lamb that someone like Bill Clinton was. But he was very much more concerned with social liberalism than with economic social-democracy, liked attacking what he considered wasteful spending, and never particularly trusted large government departments to be particularly efficient when set against citizens' organizations or entrepreneurs. Some of this is generational: social liberalism was the real coin of the realm among those who'd come up on the New Left like Hart's generation, even for the ones who'd become Cold War-accepting deficit hawks. So long as they stay right with that set of ideals in their own minds they're doing fine, and teaching their elders how to be more efficient, agile, forward-looking, etc., all the things that a coming generation wants to articulate as it displaces the generation that was previously in charge. Also, in many ways much more than IOTL, here that older generation who came up with the New Deal and helped legislate the Great Society programs are victims of their own success. By finding ways to help unions (mostly) survive stagflation, making key infrastructure and education investments when it was the right time to do it, creating Keynsian-style jobs programs around the military (both building kit and serving in it) and alternative/independent energy sources, and coming up with some kind of rationalization of the American health care system, they've pretty much done the job they set out to do. There aren't new dragons to slay, new directions to go in. Indeed on a number of issues they were now out of step: take my hypothetical Vice President Askew fresh from eight years of #winning. While he's fiercely liberal in many ways, especially for a Southerner, he's anti-abortion and the only kind of civil rights he's not a hundred percent behind is gay rights, which has started to emerge on the radar by the end of the Eighties. Some of it is, as I said, also shifts in influence: there are new players in the money game in Democratic politics by this point, not so exclusively as IOTL -- here the unions still have a real voice because they weren't crippled by the 81-83 recession -- but liberal-minded tech entrepreneurs and financial whiz kids want to pay to play, too. All this talk as well about meritocracy and education as the solution and a beautiful new high-tech tomorrow, some of that really does sell to working-class families who want something more for their kids, but it especially sells to suburban, professional-class social liberals who once were proper independents or the far left of the Republican Party, but now are an increasingly important slice of the Democratic coalition, important because like active union members and African Americans they bother to show up to vote.

And then there's the Brownian motion of campaign operatives, all the people who actually make the nuts and bolts of getting candidates elected work, because it is among them and the connections they built over decades of working their way up in the trade that a number of things like the Democratic Leadership Council happened. Now you won't get something quite so "centrist" (read "what used to be called 'moderate Republican'") out of a movement with Hart as party leader and chief executive. He's still got some more liberal strains particularly on the tax code and on alternative energy and the environment. But otherwise the generational shift, among Democratic leaders, from emphasizing economic social democracy to emphasizing social liberalism and the empowering possibilities of democratized education (these are meritocrats preaching meritocracy), will go on. The question is where do they draw the line on the economic stuff. How do they handle the tax code? Do they liberalize the financial markets (in the classical sense of Liberal not the American one) but institute "pay to play" fees to help pay for the augmented welfare state (now with health care -yay!) the Eighties leadership built? What do they do about regional and global free trade? If the Cold War does indeed continue to wind down without an opposite reaction like OTL's failed 1991 Moscow coup, then those trade issues will become very important. After the 1970s' heavy blows to American steel and interrelated industries (coal and folks who made the equipment you make steel with), employment levels in manufacturing fluctuated in a relatively steady range until the very early Aughts. Then, as all the provisions of NAFTA kicked in and China joined the WTO, those employment levels cratered. Add in a right-wing media machine that succoured deeply wounded communities, full of the loss of self-worth and manhood and communal vitality, with calls to racism and revenge, and you get a mess like the one in the West Wing now. So what the post-Carey/Mondale generation do on trade is pretty damn vital.

As for the talk about Teddy, his presidential run was a special unicorn of OTL. He had gone just long enough since Chappaquiddick to think it could be managed, even though close friends of his like Tip O'Neill and Birch Bayh (who literally saved Ted's life in that 1964 plane crash they were both in) told him otherwise. And he ran specifically because he believed a champion of Great Society liberalism had to step up and save that cause, that element of the party, and that Carter was fatally flawed (although the first week of January 1979, after the first media-induced dip in his popularity in early '78, the economy was doing decently, Camp David still made him look good, and Carter was polling around 50 percent favorability. It was the Iran oil shock, and his appallingly bad handling of both its economic and cultural importance, that did him in.) These were entirely specific circumstances and even then he made as bad a job of it as he possibly could and discovered that, except close to home and on the Left Coast (other than the Southern California backlash between Watts and Prop 8, the West Coast has been consistenly well to the left of the national average politically since the early 1900s), incumbency plus his great shame risen from a cold New England river did him in. In a different TL, one where The Hump is relatively healthy and joins the '76 race (there's a taped conversation from April '76 between Gerry Ford and Kissinger where Ford, a reasonably astute political observer whatever his other faults, believed he would face a Humphrey/Carter ticket in the fall) or like the one I posited here, a Ford Wins where someone like Hugh Carey -- who Teddy liked a great deal personally -- gets into the race, no way he runs. Given the power he would have in the Senate under a genuinely liberal president -- wanna be the architect of a just health care system in America? Sure, knock yourself out -- it's way too much risk for little reward.

I strongly disagree with Reagan or another far right wing candidate being a historical inevitability. Reagan only had a 51% approval rating going into the White House, the lowest of any modern president until a super recent one…

I don't think it's likely we as a country could have endlessly shifted to the left, but I think going so far right was not likely at all. Had Reagan not one or a narrative of him being too old took over, right wing politics would not be so dominant today.

If a liberal won instead, we certainly would have seen a further left wing shift and then probably have a moderate win in the '90s.

I didnt say Reagan was inevitable. It was more that, regardless who won, the nation's sentiment was shifting to the right which would have tempered any leftist agenda. California had already experienced a tax revolt in 1978 with Prop 13. Things like the welfare queen and Willie Horton didnt happen in a vaccum. American business was struggling due to competitive threats from abroad so the idea that regulation was stifling competitiveness found receptive ears. All these things, among others, resonated not because a just Republican such as Reagan said them but because it also matched the underlying sentiments for a large swath of the country.

At best you are probably looking at something like the Obama Administration post 2010. A Democrat in power faces continued opposition from a populist insurgency thereby limiting their agenda.

I'd argue there were very good reasons for him to run. Carter did not seem up to the job, across the world disastrous events for the US were taking place. The USSR invaded Afghanistan, Iran would soon be holding Americans hostage, and even though Carter had found the solution to stagflation, the effects weren't apparent yet. He would go on to lose the general election with 9% less of the popular vote.

Carter found a solution to stagflation!?!?! Please, do tell. This will be interesting.