I don’t know where I would find this so sorry I don’t have a good source for the event. But according (some guy) during his time in Korea with the US military. South Korean I Corps commander had had enough of the provocation and prepared to march north. Without telling anybody. As you know nothing came of this, and the main effect was probably an ass waxing for anyone involved.

Basically:
1. Can you confirm if the above event did happen?
2. More importantly for our purposes, what would happen if they had actually marched north?

Are you certain that wasn't an episode of M*A*S*H? That show first aired in 1972 or 1973... It seems like the sort of whacky thing Maj. Burns would do.

Never heard of it, but I'll ask around. I don't regard it as implausible. Theres similar stories in the dark corners about US military leaders preparing to invade Cuba unauthorized. In November 1942 one of the French Generals in Vichy France heard the US was landing in the French colonies of Morroco and Algeria, He mustered his regiments and was starting to march on nearby Bourdeux.

2. More importantly for our purposes, what would happen if they had actually marched north?

Instant Korean War. Would be some early confusion and March - Halt - Counter March orders. Those are common in surprise situations. But in a few days or less there would be a extremely violent battle across Korea.

Really? I guess it’s not quite as silly as I thought it might sound then. I do wonder though, if this did occur I don’t see US or South Korean military leaving much documentation, if any behind.

It may be that the best source is “some guy” who happened to be around at the time. But I don’t know, there are far more embarrassing things there is information on, i mean heck, Nixon was president at the time!

Are you certain that wasn't an episode of M*A*S*H? That show first aired in 1972 or 1973... It seems like the sort of whacky thing Maj. Burns would do.
Perhaps there’s such a thing as too wacky then.

Wasn't in the late 60s where North Korea special forces attacked the Blue House?

Given that South Korea wasn't a democracy at this point, I could see a South Korean general going rogue.

North Korea was stirring up shit while the US was distracted in Vietnam.
The DMZ was pretty hot then. But he specifically said 1973. It seems like poor timing to me as in the couple years leading up to then the US garrison was downsizing. Maybe the unnamed commander was just too mad to care?

The DMZ was pretty hot then. But he specifically said 1973. It seems like poor timing to me as in the couple years leading up to then the US garrison was downsizing. Maybe the unnamed commander was just too mad to care?
This was in the closing years of the Vietnam War and also just years after the 1966-69 DMZ conflict which is also known as the "Second Korean War".

Had this happened, wouldn't it complicate the detente and new diplomatic relations with China?

Then it gets complicated if the Korean War reignites in the backdrop of the Yom Kippur War.

This was in the closing years of the Vietnam War and also just years after the 1966-69 DMZ conflict which is also known as the "Second Korean War".

Had this happened, wouldn't it complicate the detente and new diplomatic relations with China?

Then it gets complicated if the Korean War reignites in the backdrop of the Yom Kippur War.
http://rotr.swr-productions.com/view_archive.php?archive_id=40 or Remind of the Generals Zero Hour Mod Rise of the Reds the Fictional Korean War.

Capital, previously Seoul, re-locates to South-East coast ??

Makes subsequent posturing by Norks rather less of a threat...

The funny thing is I could see the US and China both being reluctant allies to their respective Korea. I don’t know how friendly they would have been, but it is reminiscent of the Willy-Nicky telegrams before WW1.

“I foresee that very soon I shall be overwhelmed by the pressure forced upon me and be forced to take extreme measures which will lead to war.” - “Nicky”