1945 - Conroy's New Book

This is probably his most plausible book so far. Compared to the previous two, this is the one I did like. Very similar to Death Is Lighter Than A Feather, but 1945 had some elements I thought were missing from that story.

Opinions?

re books

any other books out like thses now does not seem to be too many

did you read the book 1945 by Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen

germany attacking ammerica to start the war

or his new book

Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th
Newt Gingrich and William Forstchen

What would have happened if the decisive and hawkish Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto had led the attack on Pearl Harbor instead of his more cautious subordinate, Admiral Nagumo. , Yamamoto would have ordered another series of strikes, strikes that would effectively alter the entire course of the war.

or
Luftwaffe Victorious by Mike Spick winning the battle of britan and the war

The Lion is Humbled: What If Germany Defeated Britain in 1940?

I have just read this book and am trying to find out if the second book was printed as i would like to get a copy

i see a person asked this question a while ago the book is

by Robert Blumetti )

Scientists from the 22nd century implant a micro computer chip into Hitler's brain, giving him the knowledge that will ensure he does not make the wrong decisions during the first year of the Second World War. Thus, Hitler orders total economic mobilization in 1939, and orders the production of the He178 jet fighter in 1939. Hitler orders Guderian to take Dunkirk before the British can escape to England. He sends Rommel to North Africa in June 1940 with four panzer divisions. The result--the British Empire is brought to its knees.

I have just read this book and am trying to find out if the second book was printed as i would like to get a copy

i see a person asked this question a while ago the book is

by Robert Blumetti )
Scientists from the 22nd century implant a micro computer chip into Hitler's brain, giving him the knowledge that will ensure he does not make the wrong decisions during the first year of the Second World War. Thus, Hitler orders total economic mobilization in 1939, and orders the production of the He178 jet fighter in 1939. Hitler orders Guderian to take Dunkirk before the British can escape to England. He sends Rommel to North Africa in June 1940 with four panzer divisions. The result--the British Empire is brought to its knees.
Blumetti is an awful writer. Really, really awful. Even by L. Neil Smith standards of writing he'd be considered awful.

[quot]What would have happened if the decisive and hawkish Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto had led the attack on Pearl Harbor instead of his more cautious subordinate, Admiral Nagumo. , Yamamoto would have ordered another series of strikes, strikes that would effectively alter the entire course of the war.[/quote]

Hawkish? WTF is that guy thinking? Yamamoto was an agressive fighter, but not HAWKISH.

Yamamoto was an agressive fighter, but not HAWKISH

I agree Yamamoto was an agressive fighter, but the author looks like he wants to do a series of books on how the pacific war could have been if all the targets were hit at Pearl Harbour like the oil tanks that were missed and not to mention the carriers that would have been back in the area had the third strike that Yamamoto had planed to be launched but was not carried out by Admiral Nagumo who cancelled it dispite some pilots asking for it to go ahead

By putting Yamamoto in charge of the carrier fleet in the book he would have make sure the all key targets would have been destroyed this giving the main plot of the book America hit harder and the war laster longer without the three carriers no midway or coral sea the japan navy being hit hard and the rest

in his book 1945 it was part one of a three part set but no publisher would pick up on the other two books so they were never published With all the intrest in Pearl Harbout now and the number of books comeing out looks llike he is on the band wagon

as you said Blumetti is an awful writer but Iwas curious how it would end giving that he had a group building anti gravity and flying saucers at the end of the book for Gernmany I have just brought a book called Hilters flying saucers about how germany was developing aircraft that were a bit like a flying saucer and would lift straight up and down it shows photos and some plans

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's the only one search turned up discussing this book, which I received from Amazon and read today.

Overall rating: 4/5
High points: Clear, easy to understand; interesting storyline, no gaping holes
Low points: Unevenly edited, limited characterization, broadcasted plot
Recommendation: Recommended, but buy used unless you're a big fan of WWII invasion of Japan stories

1945 is an alternate history novel that deals with the story of what might have happened if Japanese militarists had success with their coup on the night before Emperor Hirohito's surrender declaration was broadcast. This is an interesting, coherent POD that results in an amphibious invasion of Japan without involving something happening to the Manhattan Project -- which was far too large an undertaking to be derailed by something like lightning prematurely detonating the Trinity device or that device simply failing to detonate, as is the case for at least two other "Invasion of Japan" alternate histories that I know of.

In any event, with the Japanese surrender called off, the United States prepares Operation Olympic -- the invasion of the southern home island of Kyushu -- and Operation Coronet -- the invasion of the Kanto Plain. We're introduced to the two "main" characters in succession: An infantry lieutenant transferred to the Pacific theatre from occupied Germany and a one-armed Nisei, veteran of the 442nd RCT, who volunteers to be dropped into Kyushu on an OSS mission.

Conroy does an overall poor job of developing his characters. I put the word main in quotes, because although we do get to see them more than any other characters in the book, they're never developed much beyond what we're given in the first few paragraphs of their introductions and there's so many other secondary and tertiary characters used to show how the invasion is progressing that none of them are ever fleshed out either. Instead, we're left with a stream of characters who do little more than illustrate what's going on. A reader can easily understand what someone's doing and how, but will never understand why they're doing it or what's going on in their heads beyond the standard cardboard characterizations of "a family back home," "duty to country," and "just wanting to get home."

At times, Conroy seems to want to go into a historical viewpoint, showing what's happening and why, but because of the way he tells the story, he uses a cardboard character to demonstrate. It's not ineffective, but it's not as effective as it otherwise might have been, either. Because Conroy takes this approach, he has characters knowing things and sharing information that they would have no way of knowing in the first place. There are two glaring instances of this: One, when an American infantry captain shares news about a Japanese balloon bomb that knocked out power to "some super-secret military facility in Hanford, Washington," (something few people know even today, and if it's so super-secret -- why are you talking about it?)and when a Japanese officer bemoans the ineffectiveness of kamikazes by pointing out the plight of the Laffey, an American destroyer that was struck by several Kamikazes during the battle for Okinawa.

The most intriguing character is the Nisei, and I have to give credit to Conroy for writing about a character with a physical disability, which he does very well. Small mentions about his difficulty wheeling a bicycle along really sell that characteristic for me. But I don't get to know as much about the character as I'd like to, which is a real bummer. There's also a completely random romance thrown in at the end of his story, which simply reeked of fanservice and a desire to have things go well for the man.

Despite his weaknesses characterizing things, the story progresses logically. Though a major plot point is telegraphed early on when we're told that the Nisei has been ordered to investigate happenings around Nagasaki, most of the rest of the story unfolds with a minimum of heavy-handed foreshadowing, a major problem with many alternate history writers. Each character does a great job of speaking from their own point of view, even going as far as to express wrong information -- something difficult to have your characters do without confusing the reader -- but which Conroy pulls off very well.

Factual and historical matters are on target, as far as I can tell, and although I thought he stretched things early on with civilian protests in the United States, he provides an excellent reason for them and they never factor into the story as I had feared they would. (That's a personal peeve of mine with most AH invasions of Japan -- it doesn't jibe with the time period and the fact that returning soldiers from Europe and the end of rationing would defuse most homefront tensions.) Conroy doesn't bring too much in the way of historical grudges to bear -- he doesn't wholly indulge in historical wankery by having a mass replacement of Pacific Theater generals by their contemporaries from Europe. There is one replacement, and it's foreshadowed fairly heavy-handedly, but it wasn't as jarring as I feared it would be.

Overall, it's better than most alternate history novels out there today. It's not a Guns of the South, but it's no Midas Sheffield & Co., either. If you're a fan of WWII alternates, or don't mind weak characterization, I'd recommend getting it.

Its not my favourite, but its an alright book. Read it a few months ago. I must admit even if it is implausible I liked his 1901 better, just the thought of German troops marching down Wall Street was enough for me!