1863 An Alternate History

Introduction

May 1863:
Robert Edward Lee was at the pinnacle of his career. In four days of fighting beginning on May 1st, he had defeated another thrust by a federal army that was attempting to capture the Confederate capital, Richmond, Virginia. It was his most impressive victory to date. His Army of Northern Virginia had found itself outnumbered and outflanked by the Army of the Potomac under the boastful Major General Joseph ‘Fighting Joe’ Hooker. Hooker had come up with a brilliant plan that saw him take 75,000 men and march north and west in order to cross the Rappahannock River at Kelly’s Ford. This move was made in order to outflank Lee’s army and force it to fight in the open instead of behind the fortifications that it had been occupying since the disastrous Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13th, 1862.
In that battle, the Army of the Potomac then under Major General Ambrose Burnside, made suicidal frontal assaults against the Confederate stronghold of Marye’s Heights which saw the federals suffer 12,000 casualties against 5,000 confederates. Hooker had been in that battle and had seen firsthand what happens when flesh and blood goes up against a fortified position. When Hooker took command of the AOP, he decided on a different strategy that would allow the federals to engage Lee in open ground where the federal’s weight of numbers and superior firepower would allow them to defeat Lee once and for all.
So, beginning in late April, Hooker put his plan in motion. In order to convince Lee that his army was still in front of Fredericksburg, he left a force of over 20,000men under Major General John Sedgwick with orders to demonstrate in order to keep Lee from realizing what was going on. So successful was Sedgwick that Lee did not realize what was happening until April 30th, when word was brought to him informing him of Hooker’s movement. To Lee, this was bad news not only because he was outflanked, but also because he was missing two divisions under Lieutant General James Longstreet that was down and around Richmond gathering supplies and also to protect the capital from a supposed thrust by a federal force located on the Peninsular around Fortress Monroe.
This supposed threat came to nothing and Lee had to fight Hooker without these troops. It did not matter. On May 1st, Hooker’s forces in and around Chancellorsville started to move out of an area that was called the Wilderness. Just as his lead troops emerged, they came across rebel troops under the legendary Lieutant General Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson. Ever the aggressor, Jackson launched his men in an effort to push the federals back. He need not have worried. Toward the middle of the day, Hooker, for some unknown reasons, ordered his troops back to Chancellorsville to dig in. Many of his corps commanders were outraged. “By God!” exclaimed 5th corps commander Maj. General George Gordon Meade, “If we can’t hold the top of the hill, we certainly can’t hold the bottom!”

With that, Hooker surrendered the initiative to Robert E. Lee who promptly took a hold of it and never let go of it. By the evening of May 1st, Hooker’s army was digging in around Chancellorsville and was preparing for the next day’s fighting. Later, it would be deduced that Hooker wanted to have a reverse Fredericksburg in which Lee crippled his army trying to drive off the federals. If this was so, Lee was going to disappoint Hooker. Lee was known for many things, but as a commanding general, he was known to also to be bold and daring and that was what Lee did. After receiving reports by his chief cavalry officer, Major General J.E.B. Stuart that the federals left was in the ‘air’ (meaning that it was not fortified and thus exposed to attack) Lee allows Jackson to take his entire corps, some 28,000men in all, (which would leave Lee with 14,000men), and go on a flanking march to get in the federal rear and attack him there.
Starting on May 2nd, Jackson marched his men around the federal line and come up on its flank. Several times it seemed that the federals would find out what was going on (after all, it’s hard to conceal that many men who make a lot of noise) and attack Jackson before he could carry out his plan. Fate however, seemed to smile on the rebels. Hooker, who got numerous reports about the movement (which were giving the march as south and west) decided that Lee was retreating, but also decided that just in case that wasn’t true, he gave orders (supposedly) to all corps commanders to fortify their line. If this was true, then the orders did not reach the commanding general of the XI corps, Maj. Gen. Oliver Otis Howard whose corps was in the air.
At 5:00pm on May 2nd, 1863, Stonewall Jackson had his men ready to begin the attack. Leading the attack was Brig. Gen. Robert Rodes’s division, followed by Brig. Gen. Raleigh Colston’s division, and finally, Maj. Gen. Ambrose Powell Hill’s famed “Light” division. The Federals were totally unprepared for the attack and for the next few hours, they struggled to form a solid battle line against Jackson’s overwhelming attack. Finally, around nightfall, the federals were able to form a decent battle line and stave off total disaster. This was due in part to the fact that Jackson’s attack had run out of steam. Around nine o’clock that night, Jackson goes out on a scouting party to fine the federal lines. When he comes back, nervous pickets open fire on Jackson and his party, mistaking them for Federal cavalry.
Luckily for the south, Jackson sustained a wound to the shoulder and the fall he suffered latter on as his aides were trying to stabilize him on a stretcher due to federal artillery fire broke his left arm (although not badly). For the rest of the battle, Jackson would be sidelined as he is carried back to Lexington, Virginia to regain his strength. It is worthy to note that had Jackson received a more horrendous wound than he actually did, the south might have lost a valuable leader that it could not have replaced. Also, it would have altered the path the civil war would take for the rest of the year and beyond it.
Meanwhile, the fighting continued as Lee pressed his advantage. Giving command of Jackson’s corps to his leading cavalry commander, J.E.B. Stuart, Lee attacked Hooker on May 3rd. The fighting that ensued was the fiercest yet seen in the war. Hooker’s forces were behind fortifications and Lee and Stuart’s men threw themselves upon the federal works. Hooker might have salvaged the situation if not for two things. 1st, he gave up the high ground around Catherine’s Furnace which gave the rebels an excellent artillery platform, and 2nd, while he was watching the fighting from the Chancellors House, a cannonball struck the pillar on which he was leading and split it. Unfortunately for Hooker, a small piece broke off and embedded itself in Hooker’s shoulder, wounding him. This caused the federal high command to panic for a time because they thought Hooker had been killed. This was not the case.
By the time Hooker regained his senses, the situation was becoming critical. Lee’s forces were pressing the attack all along the line and were not letting up either. Hooker, still dazed over his wounding, decided to turn over command to the commander of the II corps, Maj. Gen. Darius Couch. If Hooker had either died right there or passed out before he could issue a command, then history might have been rewritten because as it was found out later, Couch was preparing to go over to the attack and push Lee back.
Had this happened, then the entire course of the war would have been altered. Lee would have been forced to withdraw from Chancellorsville and fall back to a position in order to concentrate his army. From there, the new federal command (whoever it might be) would be able to make Lee dance to his tune. Alas, this was not to be. Before he blacked out, Hooker ordered Couch to save the army and withdraw it back across the river. This was the moment that Hooker could have saved his reputation by ordering Couch to attack instead of retreat. What followed was an all-day slugfest that saw rebel troops gradually push the federals back toward the river.
Out of this can perhaps the most spectacular event of the battle. Robert E. Lee was informed of the capture of Chancellorsville and he rode to the clearing and surrounded by a burning house and the carnage of war, Lee rode among his men who cheered their commander. It was Lee’s finest hour. Brig. Gen. Paxton of the Stonewall brigade would later say of this, “No one can describe the way the men cheered themselves hoarse at the sight of their beloved leader who had given them this awesome victory.” While this was certainly true, by the end of May 3rd, Lee was again faced with a threat to his rear: Maj. Gen. Sedgwick had broken the line at Fredericksburg and was marching to the relief of Hooker.
Sedgwick had been left behind by Hooker in order to draw Lee’s attention away from Hooker’s movement. However, Hooker later ordered Sedgwick to breakthrough the defenses at Fredericksburg and march west in order to trap Lee’s army between the two union forces. On May 3rd, while Lee was having his supreme moment at Chancellorsville, the federal forces around Fredericksburg launched an assault on Marye’s Heights. Back in December of 1862, they (union) had tried it and had failed, but this time they overran the heights and pushed back Maj. Gen. Jubal Early’s men that were defending the heights. The road to Lee’s rear was now wide open.
But luck was in store for Lee. Sedgwick took his time reorganizing his forces and did not move out until later in the day. This gave Lee enough time to move Maj. Gen. Mclaws’s division from Chancellorsville and move it east to intercept Sedgwick’s forces. Thus on May 4th, Sedgwick ran right into Mclaw’s division at Salem Church and was stopped cold. This was the last grasp of the union forces during the Chancellorsville Campaign. For there on out, the ball was in Lee’s possession and stayed that way for the rest of the campaign. The following days saw the beaten federal forces withdraw across the river and by the end of the week the Chancellorsville Campaign had come to a close.

Last edited:
Chapter One

Summer 1863

By mid-May 1863 the civil war that had ravaged the United States of America was getting ready to go into its third summer of the war with no end in sight. The victories and defeats that both the United States and Confederate States of America had seesawed the pendulum back and forth in favor of one or the other. When the war started both sides had been unprepared for a long term war that was going to engulf both sides. Although the Union had more manpower and better industrial capacity, the south by 1863 had been holding its own. For a while it seemed that the south was going to lose the war early on, but this was due to federal victories in early 1862. By fall of 1862 the situation was the excate opposite.
But before one can elaborate further, one must understand the events that happened that brought about this turnabout. By the end of 1861 the south was riding high on its victories that it had achieved at Bull Run in Virginia, Wilson’s Creek and Lexington in Missouri, and a small victory at Ball’s Bluff that took place in Virginia. It seemed that the south was going to win the war come spring 1862. This was due to the fact that Federal President Abraham Lincoln did not have Generals that were aggressive enough to push south and defeat the southern armies that were in the field. This was mainly due to one man: Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan. He had done a remarkable job in forming what would become the Army of the Potomac, but he was afraid to use it. Thus in the eastern theatre the war seemed stalemated by early 1862.
Not so the western theater. For in the west, Lincoln had a general that wanted to attack and drive the southerners back. His name was Ulysses Simpson Grant. It would be this person who would get the ball started. It started in January of 1862 when Gen. George Thomas gave the north its first victory of the war at Mill Springs, Kentucky. Soon after that, Grant captured Ft. Henry in early February and a little later Ft. Donelson in Tennessee. Donelson’s fall was really hard on the south. Not only did this defeat open the road to Nashville the capital of Tennessee, but the loss of 15,000men as prisoners drained the south of precious men that they could not afford to lose.
From February to April the south suffered defeat after defeat in the west. The Federal army and the so called ‘Brown Water Navy’ opened a gap in the south that would not be recaptured at all during the war. In early April the situation seemed desperate for the south. Over half of Tennessee was gone, all of Missouri and most of northern Arkansas. The north was poised to invade northern Mississippi and Northern Alabama as well as to move into northern Georgia and take the rich prize of Atlanta Georgia. The commanding general of southern forces in Corinth in northern Mississippi, General Albert S. Johnston, decide he must attack the federal forces that were encamped at Pittsburgh Landing and reverse the course of the war.
How is the atl so far?

Last edited:
How is the atl so far?

What ATL? Everything so far is a retelling of OTL, except that Jackson wasn't killed at Chancellorsville.

Incidentally, what is the point of retelling the spring 1862 Western campaign? Any sort of PoD there would alter events in the East, so there would be no battle of Chancellorsville as in OTL.

I always try to a background that leads up to the atl in order to set the stage. also, the Chancellorsville battle is the same as otl, but not only is Jackson not killed, but also, hooker is wounded instead of stunned as in ot. I will try to put more up later on.

Johnston assembled an impressive army at Corinth. It numbered around 50,000 men and was divided into four corps. He would have an even impressive army had he waited for Earl Van Dorn’s Army of the West which had been defeated at Pea Ridge in Arkansas, but he did not. Marching his men the 20 miles or so, he hoped to attack on April 4th, but his army did not get there and in position until April 5th. Meanwhile, Grant was receiving reports of Johnston’s advance, but at first dismissed them thinking that if there was a fight, it was going to be at Corinth, not Pittsburgh landing. But as more reports came in claiming that firing was heard off to the south (Johnston’s men were test firing their weapons after a storm to make sure that they worked) and reports of rebel cavalry being sighted, Grant decided to fortify his position.
Although Grant didn’t know it, this decision is probably what saved him from press who would later proclaim that Grant had been caught napping. The battle opened up on April 6th as thousands of rebels burst through the woods and advanced toward the Yankees. Johnston’s men had been told that the enemy was not aware of their presence, so to many it came as a shock when they entered the enemy’s camps and saw crude breastworks that were in the process of being made (Grant’s decision to construct those works came on the night of April 4th and some of his divisional commanders chose to take their time doing it, others did not). Particularly shocking was Gen. Sherman’s area which he had put his men to work the day before.
Although this caused heavier casualties than expected, the rebels slowly drove back the federals till they were backed up against Pittsburgh Landing. If the breastworks in the federal camps were a surprise, the one that faced them at the landing was formidable. Heavy artillery emplacements had been hastily constructed the day before and while the federals in the camps kept the rebels busy, more earthworks were constructed. Late in the afternoon, General Johnston, who had almost been killed earlier in the day directing the troops, decided that one last ditch effort to achieve victory was needed and ordered an attack upon the landing’s fortifications. The result was that for two hours the rebels hurled themselves upon the earthworks in an effort to break the federal lines. They failed.
The night brought a close to the first day’s fighting. Johnston had failed to drive Grant’s army away from Pittsburgh Landing and what was worse was that during the night, Gen. Don Carlos Buell’s Army of the Ohio crossed the river and bolstered Grant’s line, giving Grant some 60,000 men in which to drive the rebels back. And Grant did just that too. The next day, April 7th, saw the federals attacking all along the line. Johnston at first pulled back his men and tried to organize a defensive line, but pressure from the federal attacks was too great. Finally, Johnston ordered a fighting withdrawal and by the end of the day, the Battle of Pittsburgh Landing or Shiloh was over.
Casualties on both sides were heavy: Johnston had brought almost 50,000men into the fight and had lost some 14,000 men. Grant had some 42,000men and Buell had 25,000men and the combined losses for both armies were around 13,000men. Thus, Shiloh had the honor of being the bloodiest battle of the war to day with a combined total of 27,000men. This shocked both the north and south and many started to realize that the war was going to be long and bloody.

Last edited:
With respect you seem to be doing a lot of typing of stuff which almost all readers will already know.

To get to the point we're in the middle of May and Grant is besiging Vicksburg while Lee is preparing an invasion of the North.

Will Jackson recover from his wounds quickly enough to take part?

And will Hooker recover quickly enough to keep command of the Army of the Potomac?

I understand you all wanting me to get on with the atl already but i'm just trying to cover my rear by explaining the events that lead up to my atl because some events that happen in the west will affect what lee does in the east and vise verse. Please be patient, I will get to soon, but for right now, just relax and enjoy.

I like your TL so far, yet a few pointers (from someone who's also planning on writing a Civil War-TL myself)

First and foremost, it may be a good idea to reformat the text, which frankly was a problem I had originally had in one of my earlier timelines. Walls of text are often hard to read for some and can be irritating for others.

At least, IMHO, it was hard to read.

How is the atl so far?

As others have pointed out, there isn't much ATL in your story thus far.

When I first started my own timeline a few years back, I had the same problem wherein I felt like I needed to include all of this excess information about the Russian Revolution when in fact I didn't need to do so.

Perhaps you should focus more on the ATL rather then on OTL, which readers will most likely already know.

Incidentally, what is the point of retelling the spring 1862 Western campaign?

IMHO it is okay to highlight an element of OTL, but it should lead into the ATL portion of the timeline or should back up the ATL with added information.

Seeing as to how all we've seen thus far has been an introduction and the first chapter, it is clear why some users are getting anxious to see the ATL in-depth rather then a summary of OTL.

Keep up the good work, I hope to see where you take your AH from there.

I'm very much into civil war history (and for that matter, just about all history), and it will be worthwhile to see your TL develop beyond its initial state.

okay, I've made some changes with the lettering, is that any better? Also I understand what you are telling me and i'll try to hurry up and get to the actual atl.

okay, I've made some changes with the lettering, is that any better? Also I understand what you are telling me and i'll try to hurry up and get to the actual atl.

It appears that you haven't fixed the walls of text yet. Its very hard to read your AH due to the lack of spaces between paragraphs and whatnot.

When will you get to the ATL portion of your TL, just out of curiosity? Many on this forum are eager to see where you take this, but thus far all we've seen is OTL information repeated verbatim.

Keep up the good work on your TL.

By Mid-May of 1863, the south was looking for a way to reverse the war in both the east and west. Lee wanted to invade the north through Maryland and into Pennsylvania, gather supplies and win a momentous victory against the federal army on northern soil that would force England and other countries to recognize the Confederate States of America as a separate country. However, many people including some of Lee’s top officers (particularly Longstreet) saw that the situation in the west was more fragile than that of Virginia and the East. In the west, four federal forces were placed to threaten both Vicksburg, Mississippi and Atlanta, Georgia.

Two federal armies were stationed in Mississippi: The Army of Tennessee under Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman and The Army of Mississippi under Maj. Gen. John Pope. The overall commander in charge of both armies was Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant (Grant would travel with Sherman’s army). The two armies combined numbered 77,000men. Against this was arrayed between 50 and 60,000 rebel troops that were scattered throughout the state. The main rebel force was some 32,000 men under the direct command of Gen. Albert S. Johnston which was called the Army of Mississippi (rebel). The remaining forces were concentrated around Vicksburg, Port Hudson, and a few other places.

In Tennessee, the federal forces there were stationed around Nashville, Tennessee under the command of Maj. Gen. George Thomas who’s Army of the Cumberland numbered 60,000men. Also, near the Kentucky border in Eastern Tennessee was the smaller Army of the Ohio (it numbered around 24,000men) under Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside. Opposing these federals was the Army of Tennessee (rebel) under the command of Gen. Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard and it numbered around 45,000men. The forces out west were already moving and trying to engage each other while back east, Lee was reorganizing his own army as was the new federal commander of The Army of the Potomac: Maj. Gen. John F. Reynolds.

After his victory at Chancellorsville, Lee decided that he needed to reorganize his men army into three corps instead of two. This would help the corps commanders to better lead their troops and be able to control it better. Lee already had Longstreet commanding his first corps and Lee would also have Jackson (who had recovered from his wound) commanding the second corps, so the next task was to choose a commander for the new third corps that was forming. There were many officers who Lee thought would make an excellent corps commander. One possibility was Maj. Gen. Richard Ewell who had rejoined the army after recovering from a wound that had cost him his leg. Another possible candidate was to be A.P. Hill, but he had been wounded during the fighting on May 3rd and to top off that, he also was sickly.

Jackson, when asked his opinion, thought that Ewell could serve better as a divisional commander than as a corps commander and when Lee asked Jackson who else was there, Jackson thought for a moment and told Lee that D.H. Hill would do just fine. Lee not so sure since it was common knowledge that Hill did not like serving under Lee and that Hill had been transferred to North Carolina to command troops there. But Jackson insisted and Lee had President Jefferson Davis summoned Hill to Richmond in order to offer him command. When Hill arrived in Richmond and was offered command by Lee, at first he said no.

Hill remembered that it was Lee who almost lost the war in the fall of 1862 when he invaded Maryland. This was because Lee decided to split his army not once, but twice and in the face of a resurgent federal army. Hill blamed Lee for standing and fighting at South Mountain and Sharpsburg when he should have withdrawn into Virginia and thus prevented the lose of so many men. But then, Jackson who had came along, pulled Hill to the side and talked to him. No one knows what was said, but after Jackson talked to him, Hill accepted the offer, thus Lee had his third corps commander.

note: in this atl, Pope never came east, although he was suppose to go, he got wounded and was out of action for a while. Instead Halleck who was jealous of Grant, saw an opportunity to gain fame and decide to go east, which he did and got beat by Lee.

Hey, how do you decrease the sides of this thing in order for it not to be so long?

Last edited:
hey guys, sorry about it taking so long to update this. I've been busy with work, bills, and other things. I will be updating soon, probably in three days or less. thanks!