1634: The Ram Rebellion

I saw it on Amazon yesterday. Due out next year. It looks very long five or six hundred pages and appears to be a collaboration. But go see for yourself. I gotta stop wasting time and get back on my deadline.

Yeah, I saw it on Indigo a couple of months ago. I wish he'd hurry up and get to The Baltic War and Escape From the Tower though.

Well if you go the Baen forums you can read most it for free. I believe that Ram's rebellion was written by a Virginia DeMarce (sp?) a historian that is rather prominent on their forums boards with Eric only editing for continuity, etc., and adding in bits that relate to the Baltic War and Escape from the Tower.

Man, I'm still waiting for the damn book after "Tide of Victory" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Damn you Flint!

Gimmie my entertainment!

Has anyone read the River's War?

Psychomeltdown said:
Has anyone read the River's War?

Yeah it was a pretty good book I liked it. You can go here to read sample chapters (about 2/3 of the book IIRC). You don't even have to subscribe, just click on the guest login link and then go to 'all discussions' where the snippets links are located.

If nothing else it was really well researched (like all the books of his that I have read are) and can give good insight into the time period and people that it portrays in the book.

Thande

Donor
You can't seem to get 1634: The Galileo Affair anywhere in Britain, so I had to go to New York to buy a copy. (I exaggerate, of course: I was going to New York anyway).

Thande said:
You can't seem to get 1634: The Galileo Affair anywhere in Britain, so I had to go to New York to buy a copy. (I exaggerate, of course: I was going to New York anyway).

I've tried reading the Galileo Affair three times. And all three times, I quit. I'm now reading it for a fourth time.

Thande

Donor
Archangel Michael said:
I've tried reading the Galileo Affair three times. And all three times, I quit. I'm now reading it for a fourth time.

The weird thing is, even when Flint &co's prose consists of people standing around talking about exciting things rather than us actually seeing said exciting things (which is often... :rolleyes: ) I still find them quite readable...but maybe that's just me.

I bought Gallileo Affair from amazon last week. Its paperback too which is good.
I think it was rather expensive though...

Don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, I only found this one...

Just finished reading The Ram Rebellion... spoilers!!

Weird book! Way too much about sheep... oh wait, that should make it required reading for AH.com crew, no?:D
It's kind of completely out of the scope of 1632/1633, we don't know what's happening with the impeding war, too many accountants!!
Anyway, I had borrowed it from the library, and don't know if I'll buy this one. The Galileo Affair was WAY better.

The Galileo Affair was WAY better.

You'll love Cannon Law, then.

But people who like Galileo Affair and Ram Rebellion are people who love a well-rounded story and character development. People who just liked 1632/1633 are action, action, ACTION!!! all the time. Go read a damn Clive Cussler novel if that's what you want.

Frankly I think the series is going downhill. Each volume has been inferior to the previous one. THE RAM REBELLION sucks. I feel a certain annoyance at having gone to the trouble of buying it through Amazon.

A return to form or not?
Gallileo affair was horrible. Utterly unreadable

It took me three tries to finish the Galileo Affair, and when I finally finished it, I'm glad it did.

I'm debating whether or not to buy the Cannon Law, but I'll definitley buy the Baltic War.

Concur with sentiments about the crappiness of Galileo Affair. The main characters were unsympathetic buffoons. The declining quality of the 163x series makes me want to stay away from anything that Eric Flint himself didn't have a direct hand in writing. The fan fiction that is published is highly variable in quality, and the depiction of romance is generally tedious & formulaic. 1634: the Baltic War will probably be worth getting since Weber & Flint will be involved with it.

Personally, I can't stand anything Flint writes on his own, but I generally liked his collaborations with Drake.... Flint's general style, dialogue, and character development just grate on me to no end. I tried the first two books of this series and that was enough for me.