1067 Norman Conquest Fire and Sword

I am going to do something a little different here. This thread will be a decision game in which you will make up to three arguments explaining why you think your proposed action will succeed. I will decide whether it does succeed based on a dice roll and your argument and will write up an account of the events that result

Briefing

The Point of Departure is the Battle of Stamford Bridge 25 September 1066. Harold Godwinson has marched north in response to Harold Hardrada's invasion of England and the destruction of the army of the Northern Earls (Edwin and Morcar) at Fulford Bridge) The Battle of Stamford Bridge was a disaster for the Saxons. Harold Godwinson was killed and much of his 15000 man army were slaughtered in a dramatic counter attack by Harold Hardrada and Tostig mounted when a force of 3000 Vikings reached the battlefield in a timely reinforcement.

Harold's brothers Gyrth and Leofwine survived the disaster though both were wounded and fled to East Anglia with some 2000 survivors reaching East Anglia some days after the, battle Here they would spend the winter recovering from their wounds and doing what they could to regroup and attract new recruits.

In the north Harold Hardrada and Tostig occupied York. Tostig, after swearing fealty to Hardrada was restored to his Earldom. The two spent the winter here recruiting and training newly raised supporters from he settled Viking population of the area and from Tostig's supporters in the area.

The Northern Earls, Edwin and Morcar went into hiding after the disasters at Stamford Bridge and Fulford. During the winter the two Northern Lords must evade capture (and probable execution) and must decide upon their future course of action. Certainly, throwing themselves on the mercies of Hardrada and Tostig.

In the south Duke William of Normandy landed in England at Pevensey on 28 September. The Norman army spent the next few days raiding and devastating the area around Pevensey before the rumours of a Saxon disaster and Harold Godwinson's death were confirmed on 4 October. Severa days later Duke William's army began its' march on London dispersing and annihilating a hastily gathered force of somf 5000 local Fyrd at the Battle of Hastings 14 October 1066.

Following his victory t Hastings Duke William continued to march on London. occupyng the city despite a further battle at Southwark and a failed Norman attempt to storm London Bridge. Subsequent to these minor setbacks Duke William crossed the Thames at Wallingford, moved through the Chilern Hillsand approached th city from the North West. Following several more skirmishes and minor engagements the surviving local Saxon lords offered their submission to Duke William at Berkhamstead. On 25 December, at Westminster Abbey Duke William was proclaimed King of England despite a disasterous and, as many viewed it, an ill omened riot.

King William spent the rest of the winter 1066 - 7 in London, resting and regrouping his forces and consolidating his new domain building a significant number of Motte and Bailey castes throughout the South East. The new Norman King faced several probes, threats and challenges. First and most obvious was. of course, the Viking army under Hardrada and Tostig. In the spring it was likely that Hardrada would march south to challenge the Normans and establish control out of the rest of England. King William on the other hand would need to move north and/or west to establish Norman control over the rest of Saxon England. For now, given his papal backing Normandy could be considered safe. However, if William should become bogged down in an extended and bloody campaign in England here were enemies and rivals who might seek to take advantage of his absence from Normandy

In Wessex the 15 year old Saxon prince 15 year old Edgar the Atheling found refuge in Winchester. Though the young Prince was not ye of an age to lead armies he was still the last surviving member of the House of Cerdic and thus a possible focus for the surviving Saxon leadership to rally around in opposition to Hardrada and William.

The attitudes and intentions of the Welsh Princes and King Malcolm of Scotland re unknown but they are unlikely to be well disposed to any of the belligerents in this new war,

It is now the early spring of 1067. After a winter spent in planning, recruiting and recuperation the Norman, Saxon and Viking leaders must now begin putting their intentions into action

This timeline is intended to be an interactive campaign game.You can participate by selecting a leader for he timeline. The objective of the game is obviously to become King over the whole of England

Current leaders and factions are

Viking Harold Hardrada and Tostig
Saxon Northern Lords Morcar and Edwin
Saxon House of Godwinson Gyrth and Leofwine
Saxon House of Cerdic Edgar the Atheling
Normans King William I

Potentially involved as allies or spoilers

The Welsh Princes
Scotland Malcolm III (Canmore)
France Both the King of France and various feudal lords who may have designs of their own on Normandy
The Danes - who may have designs on Hardrada's lands
The Papacy

For each action players must provide not more than three reasons why their proposed action should succeed. For example, in a battle between Normans and Saxons the Norman might argue his attack will succeed because

1 He has a disciplined and effective cavalry
2 His army is trained in combined arms tactics
3 He has a significant number of archers

The Saxons might argue

1 They have a good defensive position on a ridge
2 He has trained and well armed housecarls
3 His housecarls are trained in shield wall tactics

Possibly a battle might go through two or more rounds (Hastings)

Note that in this timeline Edgar has not been declared King after Harold's death. However, as the Normans closed in on London he was spirited out of London and escaped to Winchester. If it is possible to convene a meeting of the Witan he might be declared King. However, a surviving ,member of the House of Godwinson may try to mounting a claim. Quite possibly divisions among the Saxons could open up, potentially weakening the defense against the Normans and Vikings. Possibly a Saxon civil war could develop in the worst case scenario.

Certainly all the main contenders face threats and challenges. Seizing the initiative early could be important.

Both are needed. For our purposes I am going with the line that Edgar is 15. Not old enough yet to lead armies and anyone playing him will be playing his advisers.

The House of Godwinson could be played by one player or two (Gyrth and Leofwine have both survived) so there are slots for both. The same goes for the two Northern Lords (Edwin and Morcar) and the Vikings (Hardrada and Tostig) |Al of which may create some internal divisions and conflicts)

Both are needed. For our purposes I am going with the line that Edgar is 15. Not old enough yet to lead armies and anyone playing him will be playing his advisers.

The House of Godwinson could be played by one player or two (Gyrth and Leofwine have both survived) so there are slots for both. The same goes for the two Northern Lords (Edwin and Morcar) and the Vikings (Hardrada and Tostig) |Al of which may create some internal divisions and conflicts)

Ill take the Godwinsons then. Edgar is dead weight mostly.

Ill take the Godwinsons then. Edgar is dead weight mostly.

Though he does have Royal Blood and probably. the best Saxon claim to the throne. Militarily he is weak right now but given time and clever politics this may change. One of the other factions may try to take him out or bring him under their control (the other Saxon factions may view him as a useful figurehead, William may want to pre-empt anything of the sort)

You certainly may. He who acts quickly will win the initiative in this campaign!

Speaking of which, are we allowed to have a turn describing winter planning/prep, or just start in spring? I know the Norwegian army has been reinforced somewhat by Northumbrians and local Norse, but I have a few diplomatic moves that might make more sense while Harold is encamped than when he starts moving south. Getting everything smoothed over with the Scots and such.

Also, what is the time range covered by non-battle "rounds'?

Isn't there another forum specifically for games such as this? This might find a large audience there.

Here however is where I would like to run this. The alternative history will be written as the campaign develops based on your input. For example. William might first attempt to bring Edgar the Atheling under his control and then attack the Godwinson faction in East Anglia. Meanwhile Hardrada and Tostig might decide to march south - they will probably they to a some stage. Participants input their intended actions which may be opposed or not. As the situation develops I will be updating events updating the campaign as an alternate history. You won't know the exact way a situation is resolved but it will based on the arguments each side presents and a dice roll. Arguments I consider to be good will attract a better dice roll eg a D10 or a D12. Less good or poor arguments might get a D8. D6 or D4. Highest score wins so there is still always a chance to succeed even with poor dice rolls and poor arguments - you may just be lucky :)

For example OTL Hastings William might argue his cavalry will draw out the Fyrd from thir position due to good Norman training, good discipline and good command & control. This probably gets a D10 or even a D12. Harold Godwinson might argue that he mves over to the flank in time to restrain the Fyrd. This being a relatively poor argument gets only a D6. I roll both dice but Harold gets a higher dice roll successfully restraining he Fyrd at leas for this round. I then update the account accordingly.

Most events will require only one round being strategic issues. A battle however might last for multiple rounds. You won't know what dice were used or what your score was although you might guess from the outcome described in my write up

Speaking of which, are we allowed to have a turn describing winter planning/prep, or just start in spring? I know the Norwegian army has been reinforced somewhat by Northumbrians and local Norse, but I have a few diplomatic moves that might make more sense while Harold is encamped than when he starts moving south. Getting everything smoothed over with the Scots and such.

Also, what is the time range covered by non-battle "rounds'?

Yes, A winter 1066 - 7 turn covering the period Christmas 1066 - April 1067 is reasonable. I will however only permit planning and preparation such as recruitment, calling the Witan )it will only meet in the spring due to poor travel conditions), dispatch of spies/assassins,

Regarding time, that will be variable. Anything from a few days to a month depending on how events develop. Similarly battle "turns" may represent variable time frames