东方红 (The East is Red)

Some constructive criticism: the fact that you're talking about how all these individuals are doing crazy stuff (assassinating people, becoming revolutionaries, etc) is causing this timeline to tank. I'm really sorry but honestly the fact that you're putting too much of these stories is causing the TL to become boring.

Really? Were you perhaps trying to say goddamn fucking awesome?

Some constructive criticism: the fact that you're talking about how all these individuals are doing crazy stuff (assassinating people, becoming revolutionaries, etc) is causing this timeline to tank. I'm really sorry but honestly the fact that you're putting too much of these stories is causing the TL to become boring.

A not so constructive response: I have absolutely no respect for your opinion.

Sir Chaos

Banned
A not so constructive response: I have absolutely no respect for your opinion.

A good story depends on an occasional twist.

In this TL, things have been going down, down, down, all of the time. Maybe it´s time for the occasional positive turn of events?

A good story depends on an occasional twist.

In this TL, things have been going down, down, down, all of the time. Maybe it´s time for the occasional positive turn of events?

Have you even been paying attention to what's been happening outside of the United States? Rebellions have loosened the Soviet Union's grip on Eastern Europe, Germany is pursuing its own independent nuclear deterrent, the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa are largely at peace. China is now a bicoastal, neo-capitalist empire, Best Korea is only Korea (more on that later), Cuba is free of American influence, Central America is largely democratic and there is no Shah in Iran.

I think a bunch of good things have already happened in the timeline thus far. You're just worried that they're not happening to the people you like.

Last edited:
In short, good things have happened. They just haven't happened to white, English speaking capitalists, which are only people many on this forum care about.

In short, good things have happened. They just haven't happened to white, English speaking capitalists, which are only people many on this forum care about.

:rolleyes:

For reference, I'm Chinese, speak Mandarin, and am politically a social democrat, but the TL has still gone severely downhill in my opinion.

Then again, wanks and parade-of-horrible dystopias (a la For All Time) enjoy a long history of being overrated in AH-writing, so I suppose this TL is not novel in that regard.

burning-bridge.jpg

Pictured: a burning bridge. Also what you're doing.

I salute you, sir, for your boldness in this train wreck if nothing else.

482269081-british-actor-roger-moore-dressing-for-the-gettyimages.jpg

Pictured: A particularly entertaining white English-speaking hero of capitalism.

Sir Chaos

Banned
Have you even been paying attention to what's been happening outside of the United States? Rebellions have loosened the Soviet Union's grip on Eastern Europe, Germany is pursuing its own independent nuclear deterrent, the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa are largely at peace. China is now a bicoastal, neo-capitalist empire, Best Korea is only Korea (more on that later), Cuba is free of American influence, Central America is largely democratic and there is no Shah in Iran.

I think a bunch of good things have already happened in the timeline thus far. You're just worried that they're not happening to the people you like.

You should not try to read my mind about what people I (or "many people on this forum) like or care about. Frankly, you suck at it.

The point is, the bad stuff happens "on screen", as it were, while what good stuff there is happens almost exclusively off-screen.

You should not try to read my mind about what people I (or "many people on this forum) like or care about. Frankly, you suck at it.

The point is, the bad stuff happens "on screen", as it were, while what good stuff there is happens almost exclusively off-screen.

OwftUCE.gif

Jesus people. Chill the fuck out.

Last I checked, nobody is forcing you to read this. Vote with your feet.

And if you really don't like it, go write your own. You literally have all the tools available to you.

YLi - keep up the good work. Some of us enjoy it, even if we are white ;).

:rolleyes:

For reference, I'm Chinese, speak Mandarin, and am politically a social democrat, but the TL has still gone severely downhill in my opinion.

Then again, wanks and parade-of-horrible dystopias (a la For All Time) enjoy a long history of being overrated in AH-writing, so I suppose this TL is not novel in that regard.

A lot of it has to do with the general unpleasantness in the United States due to the utter mess that's been the Civil Rights/Economic Rights movement so far. By and large though, things are nowhere near as bad as they are in a classic AH.com dystopia. Just dark and very unpleasant.

Civil society hasn't completely failed in the United States or the West (yet) and the US government ITTL has by and large been far more reasonable than President Walt Disney or President Donald Rumsfeld (really?)

You'll be surprised to know I've actually read A World of Laughter, For All Time and Fear and Loathing on the Gumbo Trail. The East is Red will be like none of them, if only because nuclear annihilation and Orwellian dystopia what the AH.com public expects.

Westad

Banned
I'm not entirely sure what is supposed to be wrong, dystopic, or boring with this timeline. Nor am I sure why the author should even connect with people who dislike the pacing, characterization, world building, focus, and direction of the whole timeline, especially when there is already a glut of people who enjoy it and are genuinely interested to see how it goes.

I do have to ask. This timeline seems very self aware, and of course, comedic. At the end of this timeline is it going to be some sort of dark comedy on our world?

I'm not entirely sure what is supposed to be wrong, dystopic, or boring with this timeline. Nor am I sure why the author should even connect with people who dislike the pacing, characterization, world building, focus, and direction of the whole timeline, especially when there is already a glut of people who enjoy it and are genuinely interested to see how it goes.

I do have to ask. This timeline seems very self aware, and of course, comedic. At the end of this timeline is it going to be some sort of dark comedy on our world?

No spoilers!

The world doesn't matter unless you've got bitchin' threads and a warm gun in your hands.
A for getting it, F for using a promo image from Die Another F•••ING Day.

Then again I actually hate The World is not Enough's script and performances more so ehh.