There Is No Depression: Protect and Survive New Zealand

Social cohesion all be out the window already.

You've probably decapitated the neo liberal wing of both main parties if Auckland city and central Wellington are knocked out. Neither party has any reason to change in that way come global nuclear war.

For National at least you'll lurch it back to a more farmer dominated party by necessity.

Last edited:
The Australian version of Protect and Survive (The Lucky Country) said that Wellington and Auckland were hit, but that Christchurch had survived and a government had formed there.

Waiting for the day of the attack itself...:D

III: We Can All Keep Perfectly Calm
III. We Can All Keep Perfectly Calm

In this Government’s view, a nuclear weapons-free zone would not present a practical step towards disarmament…this objective is best attained through collective defence arrangements and we have regarded the Anzus Treaty as the cornerstone of New Zealand’s defence policy.”
- Defence Ministry white paper, 1979.

I look at the sunrise
I look at it burn
I look into your eyes
Don’t know where to turn…

At 8pm on February 21st, New Zealand households received a disturbing piece of news: as Soviet troops encroached upon the suburbs of Munich and Hamburg, it was revealed that Parliament had been disbanded and MPs outside Cabinet permitted to return to their constituencies, sparking fears that the Government knew something it was not letting on.

Although Muldoon went on camera to allay New Zealanders’ fears by stating “At this time, we have no fear of immediate Soviet attack…the Members are being sent to their electorates to help coordinate Civil Defence planning and maintain calm, despite the efforts of certain, ah, radical efforts to stir up trouble in aid of the Warsaw Bloc,” the heightened tensions would explain the panic which erupted in the lower North Island later that evening; an earthquake measuring about 5.3 on the Richter scale hit Turangi, and was felt from Wellington to Hamilton. In the circumstances, many feared the Soviets had launched a surprise nuclear attack on Ohakea Airbase or Palmerston North – that this had supposedly occurred without any sign of an exchange in Europe or even attacks on Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland simply did not occur to many in the circumstances. At any rate, this ensured the emergency services were on high alert well into the evening, and impromptu evacuations from the four major centres intensified.

--- -- .- / .-. .- .--. . - .. --..-- / --- -- .- / .-. .- .--. . - ..

Underneath Parliament Buildings,
Wellington, New Zealand
12:52 am, NZDT

Rob Muldoon was sweating like a pig which had just heard the farmer’s wife ask for a side of bacon. That wasn’t due to any fear on his part – he was running on liquid courage, as he had been the last few days – but rather the heat which hung in the bunker under the Beehive in spite of the coolness which had descended outside in the wake of a cloudless night.
David Thomson was talking about the continued dispersal of forces across the country; although the sailing of the Wellington earlier that evening had raised some eyebrows, most civilians were too busy with their own preparations to pay the frigate much heed, and by and large the same had applied to the Air Force flights to Napier, Gisborne, and Rotorua. Whenuapai was being readied for operations as flights through the international airport at Mangere tailed off, and the Defence Ministry anticipated a total shutdown of air travel as the threat of shootdowns grew – at this stage the only flights out were those headed across the ditch anyway, reasoned Jim McLay, so would Auckland International not make a good staging point as well?

As Muldoon rumbled about the need to halt civilian travel altogether, and began to outline a plan whereby 40 Squadron could load up with the better freight handling facilities at the airport in Mangere, an MFAT mandarin swept in, flanked by two SIS men.
“Mr Prime Minister –” began the Foreign Affairs man, before Muldoon cut him off, eyes suddenly focused like a hunting dog on a scent.
“They’ve done it, haven’t they?” If it was a question, the Prime Minister’s tone didn’t seem uncertain at all. All eyes in the room bore upon the messenger, who could only muster a halting nod.
“Kassel, P-Prime Minister.”
“Ours or theirs?”
“The, ah, the High Commission wasn’t sure, sir; we got the message from across the road.”
Muldoon grunted. Time for someone to take the reins, then, and as he was the man for the job…
“Jim, pass it on to Ewan up in Trentham: we need to get the Army and Air Force out of Auckland and Wellington. George,” this directed at the Minister of Railways “get the commuter trains running. If the Americans tell us the Russians are firing at us, I want orderly evacuations up the Hutt Valley; out to Masterton if we can. Ben,” now the Minister of Police was in the line of fire “get the message out to the districts. We’ll need every officer we can ready to help keep order if the Communists try anything, from here or there.”

--. --- -.. / -.. . ..-. . -. -.. / -. . .-- / --.. . .- .-.. .- -. -..

Although, strictly speaking, TV broadcasting stopped after midnight, the entire country was going to be awake for some time, and the Government knew well enough to keep people calm with the reassuring faces who brought them their news in peacetime anyway. Dougal Stevenson was just that face. As the man who’d been the face – and just as importantly, voice – behind the country’s first TV news bulletin, he was an ideal choice for the task of announcing the news to the country. It was therefore his authoritative baritone which made the announcement at 1:25 am on both TV One and Radio New Zealand that there had been “a small-scale tactical nuclear exchange somewhere in central Germany.”

This was the moment, then, where panic was properly unleashed, in the wake of an uncertain next few hours. To TVNZ’s credit, Stevenson stayed on the air through the night, reading out Civil Defence advice regarding the possible consequences of nuclear war, most of it verbatim from materials sent from the American embassy and British High Commission. Then, at a quarter to three, he was handed a piece of paper. Reading it, he blinked slowly and turned to the camera.
We have just received word of a second nuclear strike in Central Germany. Casualties among NATO forces have not been reported, but are feared to be in the thousands…

.- ... /.-. . -.. / ... - --- .-. -- / .-. .. ... .. -. --. / .. -. / - .... . / . .- ... -

Drovyanaya, Chita Oblast
Transbaikal Military District
RSFSR, Soviet Union
10:31 pm local/2:31 am NZDT

Polkovnik Stanislav Ivanovich Ozerov (4th Missile Division, 53rd Rocket Army, Strategic Rocket Forces), was practically buried in a drift of paperwork rivalling the snow which lay outside, above his command bunker. He was tasked with implementing targeting plans in the Far East, and with the Chinese looking restive Stavka was screaming down the line to bombard everything east of Irkutsk.
Right now, then, he was plotting targets to which spare missiles could be assigned. Fortunately the buildup of the last eighteen months had made sure they had plenty at their disposal, although there was the fear that the Imperialists would launch a surprise attack before the Soviet Union could strike at their dead heart – their reckless attack near Kassel had proven as much.

Co-ordinates were being programmed into UR-100s of various denominations, as long-range targets were located for destruction. A strategic strike was imminent; although air missions on the Pacific coast had been postponed, Ozerov was smart enough to know better (and if his superior hadn’t already been purged by Andropov’s successors, smart enough to be sent north to break ice off rocks and then the rocks).

He was therefore tasked with selecting cities in the Southern Pacific region to immolate. They had three missiles assigned to the Southern Pacific Operations Area; all with one megaton warheads equipped. Stroking his chin while also patting his pocket for his packet of cigarettes, Ozerov looked at the options, and nodded. Three names, their foreign English origins made no clearer by the Cyrillic print, loomed out as he typed them into a command console, before sending them to his subordinates.
Канберра, Австралийская столичная территория.
Сидней, Новый Южный Уэльс
Дарвин, Северная территория​

As he prepared to move on to oversee the deployment of the missiles, his telephone rang. Ozerov picked up the receiver with a gingerness remarkable in a man who had just deployed the destructive force of three million tonnes of TNT.
“Yes, sir? Indeed? I see. It shall be done. I serve the Soviet Union.” This time he slammed the receiver down, snapping to himself “Yobany v rot! Where in hell do those khuys expect me to find spare weapons for the South Pacific when I’ve got a billion screaming yellow monsters over the border?” He sighed and sat heavily, taking a minute to make a protracted show of lighting a cigarette, the harsh tobacco smoke of the first drag sharpening his mind a little after 48 hours at his station. Then, a thought occurred. He picked up the receiver again, this time with the determination of one who knows his superiors won’t be around long enough to berate him if he messes up anyway. A voice answered at the other end.
“Ah Oleg, is that you? Good. I know. Yes, I have had another order from Stavka. Tell me, what assets does the Pacific Fleet have in the Southern Pacific Operations Area with spare capacity? Chto? Ah, excellent! Right, can you assign some extra targets to them? Yes, straight from Moscow via Chita. Pizdaty; I have…” he scanned another telexed sheet, headed Новая Зеландия which had been deposited as he spoke “…four targets to strike. What? Well, that’s good as it is, if you can relay that to our comrades in Cam Ranh…Khorrosho.”

- .... . / .-. .- -.-. . / .- --. .- .. -. ... - / - ..

Last edited:
Instead of war, Muldoon should have offered to host a drinking competition between himself and the Soviet Politburo. It'd have been a good deal less messy. ;)

I'm sort of hoping for a minimal attack really, say one or two warheads. Something that can be recovered from. If just for the fact that it would be nice to see a post nuclear story where the country was largely ok, but had to face the struggles of a destroyed world.

For all your soviet targeting needs :)

1002336_newzeald.gif

III. We Can All Keep Perfectly Calm​

. . .

The boding, it is not well :)

The bacon reference also reminded me of the Muldoon jokes that I used to hear all the time back then - "Piggy Muldoon", and "Rob Muldoon before he robs you" etc :) People hated him - the level of dislike I see directed at John Key these days doesn't compare.

Technical aside regarding the reference to 40Sqn - in 1984 the RNZAF was a bit more flush with fixed-wing transport and people moving assets than it is these days. Besides the C-130s and B727s of 40Sqn at Whenuapai, there was 1Sqn with Andover tactical transports, and 42Sqn at Ohakea with VIP Andovers and 3 Cessna 421s available for storytelling purposes as required ;)

I also like the depiction of the harried Soviet staff officer.

Last edited:
And how did you know what site I was using? :D NE winds, persisting through most of the month (taken from the New Zealand Yearbook 1985), with very little rain around then. Lovely day for a war.

Like I said, I looked into doing my own Welly based TL at one point :)

The summer of 83/84 was very nice from memory ;)

John Farson

Banned
Did Cam Ranh Bay have nuclear weapons at the time? Of course, they could be meaning a Soviet boomer that's there.

I take it that Cam Ranh is able to launch its nukes shortly before the Chinese or Americans hit it... along with the rest of Vietnam (I wrote a short story about the nuking of Hanoi long ago).

I can just see the Soviet Officer:
"Like I could care less about where we destroy. Wait one".
Opens a map of New Zealand, picks up a pen and closes his eyes.
"Aaaaand we hit here... Here... aaaand here. Let me see. ooh that was lucky - Wellington, Aukland and on the Southern Island... Mossburn. No, I have no fucking idea what's there, but I'm sure it will stricke a strategic blow for the Motherland leading to our eventual victory yada yada yada, now just fuck off and give those wastrel fucks at Kahm Ran the fucking co-ordinates. I'm off to see if I can drink myself to death before the Yankees fry us all".

Do the Soviets go after the US base at McMurdo Station in the Ross Dependency? If not, then Scott Base is still functional, and you save the lives of thousands of penguins and seals.