A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

TheKnightIrish said:
They viewed his wife as “a supreme traitor…to the land of her birth…to her class”.

What kind of a person you have to be to say something like that *shakes head*

Awesome update. Will you also put the reactions of Europeans to the murder of Mary Todd Lincoln? I think that French and English will be most interesting.

I also think that for Radical Republicans reactions of Southerners will only prove that they are wild beats that need to be beaten into submission. What is missing though are reactions of high profile Confederate officers, such as Longstreet, Beauregard etc. They don't strike me as people who would condone killing of a woman whoever her husband is.

I admit I've never heard of Francis Tumblety before. Was he really a suspect in Whitechapel murders?

What kind of a person you have to be to say something like that *shakes head*

Awesome update. Will you also put the reactions of Europeans to the murder of Mary Todd Lincoln? I think that French and English will be most interesting.

I also think that for Radical Republicans reactions of Southerners will only prove that they are wild beats that need to be beaten into submission. What is missing though are reactions of high profile Confederate officers, such as Longstreet, Beauregard etc. They don't strike me as people who would condone killing of a woman whoever her husband is.

I admit I've never heard of Francis Tumblety before. Was he really a suspect in Whitechapel murders?

Francis Tumblety

220px-Tumblety.jpg

Arrested during the Lincoln assassination investigation in OTL for merely being alleged to have been a friend of David Herold. He was resident in Baltimore in 1863/64 having formerly been based in Canada.

He had some pretty unpleasant views about women and a very wide and very weird collection of pickled lady parts which he showed off at gentlemen only dinners in Washington (some time during or after 1865). He was in London at the time of the Whitechapel murders and was arrested for unlawful behaviour with another...cough...gentleman. He fled England and trial to France around the time the murders came to an end.

My personal view is that he is not the Ripper. Years of CSI and various other profiling detective shows (and a little bit of reading) have educated me to the fact that homosexual male serial killers almost exclusively kill other men apparently:confused:. However as he is an interesting character he often appears now as a prime suspect on various pseudo-historical documentaries.

Francis Tumblety

220px-Tumblety.jpg

Arrested during the Lincoln assassination investigation in OTL for merely being alleged to have been a friend of David Herold. He was resident in Baltimore in 1863/64 having formerly been based in Canada.

He had some pretty unpleasant views about women and a very wide and very weird collection of pickled lady parts which he showed off at gentlemen only dinners in Washington (some time during or after 1865). He was in London at the time of the Whitechapel murders and was arrested for unlawful behaviour with another...cough...gentleman. He fled England and trial to France around the time the murders came to an end.

My personal view is that he is not the Ripper. Years of CSI and various other profiling detective shows (and a little bit of reading) have educated me to the fact that homosexual male serial killers almost exclusively kill other men apparently:confused:. However as he is an interesting character he often appears now as a prime suspect on various pseudo-historical documentaries.

What a creepy creature - I loathe to call him a human being. Hanging him is, well... a fortunate turn of events. ;)

It doesn't surprise me that a homosexual serial killer would be killing men. Such creep does not get off at female, but at male suffering. It doesn't make it any less horrific either way.

The moustache is epic though.

Good luck with the move.

In the meantime i have a question: do Congressional elections and gubernational ones happen at the same time as the Presidential election in November 1864?

Good luck with the move.

In the meantime i have a question: do Congressional elections and gubernational ones happen at the same time as the Presidential election in November 1864?

I'm not an expert on this, but I seem to recall that some elections took place early (Maine comes to mind). I think also that maybe Pennsylvania somehow had a different election date for Congressional and Governor elections.

Also, the Congress elected in November would not take office until late in 1865. The Congress that passed the 13th Amendment was lame duck Congress IIRC.

Also, the Congress elected in November would not take office until late in 1865. The Congress that passed the 13th Amendment was lame duck Congress IIRC.
The 13th Amendmet to the Constitution was passed on the 31st of January 1865. by the 38the Congress, and they would retire on the 4 March 1865.

the 39th Congress which began on March 4th ratified it in December of 1865.

Apologies. No post for the moment. Am having to move back to parents' (briefly I hope) while seeking alternative employment. I will be using my first few days back to convince them of the wonders of the internet which they have so far resisted having installed!

Regardless of the hiatus this TL with be continuing. Kearny demands it!! :D

Apologies. No post for the moment. Am having to move back to parents' (briefly I hope) while seeking alternative employment. I will be using my first few days back to convince them of the wonders of the internet which they have so far resisted having installed!

Regardless of the hiatus this TL with be continuing. Kearny demands it!! :D
Understand been though that myself a time or two, get your RL "ducks in a row." and when your ready we'll be ready. ps Epic Timeline kind sir. :cool:

A break will give new readers a chance to catch up on what is an epicly long and detailed TL. It'll also give you a chance to sketch out the elections and Lincoln's Second Term and beyond.

Good luck with the move.

While TKI is on a break I thought we could think about what policies and issues Lincoln will pursue in his inevitable, in my opinion, second term. My thoughts:

Reconstruction - fate of former rebels, confiscated property, and freedmen.
Army - Kearny will press for an expansion of the regular army.
Veterans - pensions and maybe land grants
Foreign Affairs - will they tolerate an Imperial Mexico? It appears to have Kearny's support.
13th and 14th amendments?

What else?

Well there are a significant number of Confederado exiles in Mexico, right? I wonder if they go there in support of Maximillian or despite him? And the exiles surley would color any US policy towards Imperial Mexico/France..

Well there are a significant number of Confederado exiles in Mexico, right? I wonder if they go there in support of Maximillian or despite him? And the exiles surley would color any US policy towards Imperial Mexico/France..

I wonder if Lincoln will let Mexico play out on its own and if one side quickly gains the upperhand he'll keep his nose out of it. One war is enough per presidency. Only if there was chaos on the border things might change. Seward might be a different story!