Presidential Election TL | 1988

The End: November 1988

November 1, 1988: Zacarro remains in the Hospital as both Rumsfeld and Ferraro campaigns suspend events; Still no word from President Reagan

November 2, 1988: John Zacarro is released from the hospital, campaigns with Gerry in Pennsylvania; Vice President Bush and Donald Rumsfeld campaign in Tenessee; Powell makes stop in Missouri with Senator Ashcroft

November 3, 1988: Reagan approval ticks up to 55% despite lack of public image; Ferraro releases final campaign ad..set to air in Pennsylvania and Louisiana

November 4, 1988: Colin Powell appears on Good Morning America, rivals Buddy Roemer on TODAY; Ferraro appears on World News Tonight

November 5, 1988: Ferraro and Rumsfeld remain deadlocked at 49-49 heading into final days of campaign

November 6, 1988: Rumsfeld loans campaign $2 million in last ditch effort to steal Tennessee

November 7, 1988: In the final day Ferraro and Rumsfeld campaign in Pennsylvania, Roemer in Louisiana, and Powell in Missouri

Electoral Map: Morning of November 8th

88map.png

Ferraro/Roemer: 263
Rumsfeld/Powell: 216
Too Close to Call: 59

Election Night 1988: 9 PM - 10 PM

NBC ELECTION NIGHT COVERAGE

Wolf_Blitzer.jpg

Hello and welcome. The time is presently 9:00 PM on the East Coast and we have two states to call tonight...Indiana and Kentucky will be going for Donald Rumsfeld. For those of you following our electoral map at home a state that has been projected for the Rumsfeld/Powell ticket will appear as red and a state projected for the Ferraro/Roemer ticket will appear blue on your screen. I'm Tom Ritchie, and this is Election Night 1988 as we cover the possibility of our first woman President. Polls on the East Coast are closed and we are waiting for results to begin to pour in. There are three key states that we are waiting to hear from that could possibly decide this election: Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Illinois. According to the latest Electoral Math, Donald Rumsfeld needs to win all 3 and Gerry Ferraro only needs to win one of the three. Currently though Rumsfeld is in the lead with 21 Electoral Votes for Rumsfeld and 0 for Ms. Ferraro, but we expect that to change as we get results from the Northeast and down the East Coast. We're joined, however, by the 1984 Democratic Nominee for President, Walter Mondale. Mr. Mondale how are you?

Mondale: I'm good, Tom, how are you?

Ritchie: I'm doing fine thank you. So what do you think about tonight?

Mondale: I'm proud to say that I know Gerry Ferraro will win this election. She's worked extraordinarily hard in this campaign. She's met millions of voters and I know she has what it takes to be our Commander-in-Chief.

Ritchie: When you chose her in 1984 did you know you might be picking a future President?

Mondale: I knew I was picking a fighter. Gerry has never been one to give up, that's why she won the Democratic Primaries and that's why she's going to defeat Donald Rumsfeld tonight.

Ritchie: Many say you were instrumental to her victory. Obviously you hold a lot of swing within the party and you being able to architect 100 Super Delegates supporting her as early as March may have given her some much needed momentum.

Mondale: I have no problem helping someone who is qualified to be our next President get to the White House, but don't think Gerry couldn't have done this without me. There's no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't endorsed her she still would've won.

Ritchie: What do you make of President Reagan's health?

Mondale: I hope he is feeling well, we haven't seen him for nearly a month. Look, do I think he should've resigned? Absolutely. Do I want him to fail in his battle against this disease? Absolutely not. I have great personal respect for the man, I really do.

Ritchie: All right. How close is it tonight sir?

Mondale: Gerry will take Louisiana and Pennsylvania handily and Illinois will be a nail biter.

Ritchie: Thank you. Always good to have you on sir.

Mondale: My pleasure.

Ritchie: It's now 9:45 on the East Coast and we are ready to call Maine and it's four Electoral Votes for Donald Rumsfeld putting the Electoral Count at 25 Rumsfeld and 0 for Ms. Ferraro. Wait, I'm just getting this in. We are ready to call New Hampshire and Vermont for the former Congresswoman. That gives 7 electoral votes to Geraldine Ferraro. Our total remains at 25 Rumsfeld and 7 Ferraro. It's 10:00 at night and we'll be back right after this break with more on Election Night 1988!

Election Night 1988: 10 PM - 11 PM

88results.png

Hello. You are seeing the current Electoral Map on your screen depicting 7 votes for Democrat Geraldine Ferraro and 25 votes for Republican Donald Rumsfeld. I'm Tom Ritchie, your election night host for the evening. We have a lot of states to call so let's get started: Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia are all projected for Donald Rumsfeld. That puts Rumsfeld's totals at 81. We can also project, at this time, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia to be for Geraldine Ferraro, the Democrat in the race. Those states now appear as blue on your screen. The current tally at 81 Rumsfeld and 63 Ferraro. As we...I'm sorry one moment, please. *to himself: Oh my God!*

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have just received word that President Ronald Wilson Reagan has died this evening, at his bedroom in the White House. The President was surrounded by family and Vice President Bush is being rushed to the White House as we speak. The White House Press Secretary has just confirmed that the President's disease took a sharp turn for the worse on October 15th and his health has seen a steady decline since then.

For those of you just tuning in: President Ronald Wilson Reagan has passed away as a result of complications from Alzheimer's Disease. His death, on the night America was to choose his successor, has sent shock waves around the country. It is with a somber mood we progress in the Electoral Map...Geraldine Ferraro has just won New Jersey, West Virginia, and Florida. Putting her electoral count at 106 votes. Ferraro is in the lead with 106 votes to Donald Rumsfeld's 81. The time is 11:00 and when we return we will have a more complete Electoral Map, stick with NBC tonight.

Election Night 1988: 11 PM - 1 AM

88results.png

On your screen there you see the current Electoral Map: 201 EV's for Ferraro and 195 for Donald Rumsfeld, but more importantly, for those just tuning in, President Ronald Wilson Reagan has died tonight due to complications from Alzheimer's Disease. It is a sad day in American History as the United States loses a giant, a strong leader who spent his final months in pain and scrutiny. We are waiting for a statement by George Bush, who has yet to be sworn in as Commander-in-Chief. Gerry Ferraro released a statement announcing that her family was publicly mourning the loss of the President calling him a "likeable person" with "a great heart". Donald Rumsfeld released a similar statement. The untimely death of President Reagan left voters on the West Coast with one more thing on their minds heading into that ballot box. I'm quite sure it was a changed decision. Election Night does, however, continue, and I have a projection to make: NBC projects that Missouri and it's 11 Electoral Votes will go for Republican Donald Rumsfeld putting the total at 201 for Ferraro and 206 for Rumsfeld. We are preparing to call California, Oregon, and Arizona, but until then we will be discussing the fallout across the country as the nation responds to the death of our President, affectionately referred to as Dutch. One voter put it simply, "I can't believe he's gone." Though Reagan had been battling Alzheimer's Disease for nearly a year, the disease picked up momentum and eventually engulfed his brain, First Lady Nancy Reagan has announced she'll make a formal statement within a week.

We are taking you live to the Oval Office for the Swearing-In of George Herbert Walker Bush as the nation's 41st President.

{video of Bush being sworn in}

I can now announce that California and Oregon will be going for Geraldine Ferraro. Likewise, Arizona will be going for Rumsfeld. Ferraro stands at 255 and Rumsfeld holds 213 Electoral votes Gerry Ferraro needs only 15 electoral votes in order to win this election, Rumsfeld is 57 electoral votes away, a major difference that could be a deal breaker for Rumsfeld.

We head live to the James Brady Press Room where President Bush is addressing the nation:

090531_ghwbush_ap_297.jpg

Bush: America has lost a giant tonight. President Ronald Wilson Reagan, our nation's 40th Commander-in-Chief passed away at approximately 10:11 PM tonight in his bedroom in the East Wing of the White House. The President's Alzheimer's had significantly increased and complications from the disease were present for the last month or so, but President Reagan continued to manage state affairs until November 5th or so when most of his memory had clearly evaporated. In his final days the President was surrounded by family and friends, but continually briefed on world events. As the next President will be chosen tonight, I do not plan on moving in much over the next couple of months. Barbara and I will reside in the White House, but Nancy will keep her bedroom until the new Administration. I will not be naming a Vice President and I will not be unveiling a new cabinet. I wish the best of luck to both Gerry Ferraro and Donald Rumsfeld in tonight's election. Thank you and God Bless.

Ritchie: That was President Bush and we're going to return right after this break!

Election Night 1988: 1 AM - 2 AM

0_25_reagan_ronald_1990.jpg

Welcome to NBC's Election Night Coverage. It is 1 AM on Wednesday Morning and we are covering the tragic death of President Ronald Wilson Reagan who died late last night after complications with Alzheimer's Disease. On the heels of that announcement, however, I have several states to report: Nevada and Hawaii are squarely in the Democratic Column and Alaska is in the Republican Column. That puts the current electoral tally at 263 for Ferraro and 216 for Rumsfeld. Excuse me, this just in: we can call Louisiana and it's 10 Electoral Votes for Donald Rumsfeld. Donald Rumsfeld has won Louisiana by a mere 1,500 votes. A stunning loss for the Democratic ticket. We now stand at 226 for Rumsfeld and 263 for Ferraro. Rumsfeld must win Pennsylvania and Illinois in order to become President, Ferraro only needs one to become our nation's first female President. Stick with NBC News fro all your latest election inform...I have breaking news: Illinois is going Republican! Illinois has cast it's 24 Electoral Votes for Donald Rumsfeld. This is going to be a very close race my friends, very, very close! Illinois was won by Rumsfeld by only 994 votes, demanding an automatic recount. This election just got a whole lot more interesting. It comes down to Pennsylvania, my friends. Pennsylvania will decide this election. Ferraro's resources were out and about in the st...my fellow Americans: we have a new President Elect.

I can now call Pennsylvania and it's 25 electoral votes for...

Election Night Winner Announced

...GERALDINE ANNE FERRARO. Geraldine Ferraro is the next President of the United States. My fellow Americans: we will have our first female President!

The Funeral of Ronald Wilson Reagan

The State Funeral of Ronald Wilson Reagan
November 14, 1988

images

Ronald Wilson Reagan | 1911 - 1988

Former Presidents Nixon, Ford, and Carter were in attendance at the funeral held on November 14th for the late President Ronald Reagan. President George H.W. Bush, President-Elect Geraldine Ferraro, and various foreign dignitaries and public servants were in attendance for the funeral of "The Great Communicator" a man personally respected by both sides of the political aisle. Former First Lady Nancy Reagan as well as all of the Reagan Children sat in the first pew at the Washington National Cathedral. Both Mikhail Gorbachev and Margaret Thatcher were in attendance for the service.

Donald Rumsfeld, Michael Reagan, and President George H.W. Bush gave eulogies of Reagan, all praising him for his remarkable leadership qualities and efforts as President. "My father was a great man. He cared about this nation and loved her people. I will forever miss his warm and inviting smile," Michael said. "We assemble here fifteen years after the last State Funeral, and what a somber day it is. I invite all of you, each and every one of you to remember the dignity and greatness Ronald held as our President," said President Bush.

Shortly after the conclusion of the service President Reagan's casket was removed by the pallbearers and put on Air Force One where his body will be taken to his home in Simi Valley California, and buried until the completion of his Presidential Library & Museum (where it will eventually be buried).

Photographs of Ronald Reagan's State Funeral

220px-Mulroney_Thatcher_and_Gorbachev_at_Reagan%27s_funeral.jpg

Mikhail Gorbachev, Brian Mulroney, and Margaret Thatcher were in attendance

170px-General_Jackman_and_Nancy_Reagan%2C_June_11%2C_2004.JPEG
175px-Nancy_walks_away_with_flag.jpg

aaa_01a.jpg

220px-Ronald_Reagan_casket_on_caisson_during_funeral_procession.jpg
220px-Riderless_horse_DF-SD-06-14683.JPEG

Ferraro Cabinet: Announced on November 26th

Vice President: Buddy Roemer (D-LA)
Secretary of State: Madeleine Albright (D-CO)
Secretary of the Treasury: Mack McLarty (D-AR)
Secretary of Defense: Colin Powell (R-NY)
Attorney General: Bill Clinton (D-AR)
Secretary of the Interior: Bruce Babbitt (D-AZ)
Secretary of Commerce: Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
Secretary of Labor: George Romney (R-MI)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Sam Gejedson (D-CT)
Secretary of Education: Chris Dodd (D-CT)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Mario Cuomo (D-NY)
Secretary of Transportation: Rodney E. Slater (D-AR)
Secretary of Energy: Frederico Pena (D-CO)
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Stansfield Turner (D-IL)

White House Chief of Staff: Bill Richardson (D-NM)
Administrator of the EPA: Robert Bergland (D-MN)
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: Erksine Bowles (D-NC)
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations: Reubin Askew (D-FL)
U.S. Trade Representative: Cyrus Vance (D-WV)
National Security Adviser: Leon Panetta (D-CA)

((All Confirmed))

Last edited:
We're missing a Health and Human Services Secretary, and you forgot the National Security Advisor.
Interesting that she has a few Republicans serving with her.

fixed, historybuff.

I'm typing up the end of this Timeline, I want to get on to bigger and better things, but I really will miss this.

The end of the story will take us through Election Night 1992 and conclude with the winner of the 1996 Election, from there it's truly up to your imagination. Thanks for all the support and a new timeline will begin eventually, not sure what Election to do though :)

Great timeline. It's sad to see Reagan die on Election Night, though I was expecting the sympathy vote to swing a view of the western states. regardless, great timeline. I'm hoping that Bush is nominated by the GOP in 1992. The US needs another President to serve non-consecutive terms.

The End

The Inauguration of Geraldine Ferraro was a simple, but breathtaking ceremony. For the first time in history a woman had become President of the United States of America. Ferraro’s first year in office was rather easy. Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate and business continued as normal. Ferraro raised taxes on those making over $250,000 a year and cut spending for the Defense Department, slowly the United States began to kick it’s addiction to a massive debt.

Ferraro continued her debt-breaking policies into her second year in office. The economy remained steady and her approval rating hovered around 52%. She continued to gradually raise taxes and cut back spending in order to reduce the massive debt left by the Reagan Administration. As the 1990 Midterms approached, Ferraro and Vice President Roemer criss-crossed the country talking about the success of their first term. Eventually Democrats made gains in the House and Senate, something that usually never happens.

As 1991 approached Ferraro appeared to be unbeatable. The massive legislative successes of her first term and the dissolution of the Soviet Union proved Ferraro to be a capable leader. Furthermore, no changes had been made to her cabinet and her Administration seemed successful, capable, and stable. There was truly no reason to vote her out in 1992.

By March 1991 no Republican had entered the Presidential Primaries and Ferraro continued to demand of Congress more spending cuts coupled with tax hikes on the wealthy and on big business while slightly cutting taxes on the Middle Class. Eventually in April 1991 Jack Kemp became the first Republican to announce his run for President. Other Republicans, including former President George Bush, Bob Dole, Colin Powell, and Donald Rumsfeld, were rumored to enter the race as well.

Shortly after Kemp’s announcement, Dick Cheney entered the race for President. Not long after Cheney’s announcement Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island entered the race for President. The three-way race left little excitement among the voters, but Chafee held a commanding lead. In June 1991 several candidates announced their candidacies: former President Bush and Orrin Hatch entered the fray first, followed by Lowell Weicker, Jr (Republican Governor of Connecticut). Colin Powell, Secretary of Defense, announced that he would not be a candidate for President.

By September 1991 the field was set and Weicker, Hatch, Bush, Chafee, Cheney, and Kemp campaigned across the nation in an effort to win the Republican Nomination. Late in the month Weicker emerged the victor of the Ames Iowa Straw Poll and immediately positioned himself as a top-tier candidate, joining Bush and Chafee.

With three main contenders, Cheney, Hatch, and Kemp struggled to gain much media attention as Ferraro continued to build a war chest for her reelection campaign. Meanwhile Congress was debating the possibility of passing the Equal Rights Amendment, something Ferraro put much of her political capital behind.

February 1992 showed Weicker and Bush as the only two capable of winning a Primary. Weicker won Nevada and Iowa while Bush won New Hampshire, Maine, and South Dakota. Bush went on to win Alaska in March, but Chafee won Colorado and Maryland.

With Bush leading in money, endorsements, and delegates the House of Representatives passed the Equal Rights Amendment, sending it to the senate for confirmation.

Weicker won most of the March contests and eventually received the endorsement of Kemp. Cheney and Hatch withdrew in April, endorsing Bush.

Also in April Donald Rumsfeld endorsed George Bush, hoping to give Bush a much needed edge over Weicker. Again April proved a strong month for Weicker and after an endorsement from Chafee he successfully wrapped up the nomination. Weicker chose Bob Dole as his Vice Presidential nominee on the same day that the United States Senate passed the Equal Rights Amendment. As the Amendment headed to the states, Ferraro called the day an “amazing victory for women”.

Ferraro criss-crossed the country in May, June, and July half campaigning for her reelection and half campaigning for the ERA.

Once both conventions had been completed, Ferraro emerged the clear front runner with a lead of 54-43. As Weicker and Dole tried to regain momentum, Ferraro continued to spend money and ended up winning the first debate.

The election wasn’t over though and Weicker fought back. Accusing Ferraro of pandering to Special Interests, Weicker started to see his luck turn around and ultimately pulled it to a Ferraro lead of 51-46 the night of the second Presidential Debate. In that debate Weicker continued his attacks on the President and was ultimately successful in doing so and Ferraro was considered the loser of the debate.

A disastrous performance by Bob Dole and Weicker himself in the next debates coupled with the near-ratification of the ERA was too much for the Weicker/Dole ticket to handle. With a strong economy and successful presidency, voters saw no reason to vote out Ferraro and Roemer. As a result the Democratic ticket was reelected 370 – 168.

A problem was growing in the Middle East and eventually Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. Ferraro dropped the ball on this effort though and chose to stay out of the conflict. She came across as a weak Commander-in-Chief and was constantly attacked by former President Bush.

With the 1994 Midterm Elections brewing and an intensifying situation in the Middle East, the country turned to the Republicans. Ferraro lost control of both the House and Senate in 1994 and her effort to pass the ERA suffered a major loss in several state legislatures.

As the fight for ERA ratification continued, Hussein was slowly gaining power in the Middle East, something Ferraro was, admittedly, unprepared for. Relying heavily on advice from Colin Powell, she sent her Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright, to meet with Hussein in a one-on-one discussion. The discussion helped nothing and Hussein continued to gain control of Iraq and Kuwait, strengthening his power.

With the 1996 Presidential Election on the horizon, the Connecticut State Legislature ratified the Equal Rights Amendment after a close vote. The Amendment officially became law, becoming the 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Former President Bush once again sought the Presidential Nomination of his party. Bush received only one challenger: Dick Lugar, who withdrew form the race after winning only the Iowa Caucuses.

One the Democratic side there were several main contenders. Bill Clinton and Buddy Roemer led the fight for the nomination, but were followed by Massachusetts Senator John Kerry. Also in the race were Bob Graham and Douglas Wilder.

Rumors of infidelity sank Clinton’s campaign and he was forced to withdraw from the race in mid-January. A lack of fundraising efforts proved fatal to Wilder’s campaign and he withdrew his name from consideration in early-February. After several upset victories both Kerry and Graham were considered presidential material and in late-March Vice President Roemer withdrew from the race in order to help the President with the mounting situation in the Middle East.

Eventually Kerry won the Presidential Nomination, choosing White House Chief of Staff Bill Richardson as his Vice Presidential Nominee. Bush chose President of the American Red Cross Elizabeth Dole as his Vice Presidential choice. Continuing the tradition of a woman on one party’s ticket since 1984.

The General Election focused primarily on foreign issues, as Americans feared the possibility of a rising Empire under Saddam Hussein. Bush vowed to protect American interests, but Kerry focused primarily on economics. He explained how the Ferraro/Roemer Administration had successfully gotten the debt crisis under control in America, he promised to continue their cuts.

Experts predicted the 1996 election would be one of the closest in history. The election came down to one state: Minnesota. Both tickets had spent millions of dollars in the state, but no winner could be called. Eventually NBC called the state…and the election for Senator Kerry, but quickly reversed their call.

By December 1st no candidate could be called the winner and a series of recounts continued with Kerry currently in the lead. The Supreme Court ruled, on January 16th, to all recounts to continue in the famous Bush v. Kerry ruling. On January 19th, one day before the President Elect was to be declared, the Secretary of State of Minnesota certified the results, declaring Bush the winner of the state. George H.W. Bush succeed Geraldine Ferraro on January 20, 1997.