Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about one aspect: How come, unlike OTL, Washington didn't get a state named after him? Is he less revered ITTL?
Thank you for reminding me I also forgot to include the split of Washington Territory from Dakhota in this map. :D

Here's the updated and finalized 1900 electoral map everyone.

Alternate Presidents 1900 election.png

Last edited:
In a way, this reminds me of OTL 1912 election, but with TTL Populists and Republicans* disunited instead of OTL Progressives and Republicans.

*Accounting for the slight differences in political positions in comparison with OTL.

Healey followed the family calling.

Keep it up, wilcoxchar!:)

In a way, this reminds me of OTL 1912 election, but with TTL Populists and Republicans* disunited instead of OTL Progressives and Republicans.

*Accounting for the slight differences in political positions in comparison with OTL.

Yeah I though the same. It is likely that the popular vote was likely very close in several states though. Close enough that the Republicans might still nominate Bryan in the 1904 election. I expect that down the line historians will pay close attention to the 1900 election. Perhaps defining it as a true turning point into the multi party system.

I wonder if this continues will the Republicans and Progressives push to get rid of the electoral college. It is not the first time they split an election and ended up loosing it. Cleveland got into office for the same reason.

What is cool is how Bryan made the Republican and Peoples/Progressive parties basically switch places. It seems to be that the Republicans are slowly going more populist/left while the Peoples/Progressive are going more moderate and (later with TR) less isolationist.

And with McKinley in power right now, the US might start getting involved in international affairs even more. BTW with no war how is Spain doing with the Phillipines? I reckon both Korea and Japan are starting to pay close attention there.

Hey, does National Geographic exist ITTL?

Because I had a sudden image of them doing a piece on the renegados living on the edge in the Unorganized Territory. My family has Nat Geo's dating back to 1916, and the old ones are full of articles like that.

You have been really harsh towards the *Republicans in this Timeline! They don't seem to get any breaks and the Democratic Party is the "natural governing party" of the United States ITTL. It's been discussed earlier how OTL the Republicans barely won the presidential elections of 1876, 1880, and 1888, and how the Dems frequently controlled the House, but still you've not just balanced but reversed OTL here.

(not a criticism, just what I find very interesting about your TL recently)

You have been really harsh towards the *Republicans in this Timeline! They don't seem to get any breaks and the Democratic Party is the "natural governing party" of the United States ITTL. It's been discussed earlier how OTL the Republicans barely won the presidential elections of 1876, 1880, and 1888, and how the Dems frequently controlled the House, but still you've not just balanced but reversed OTL here.

(not a criticism, just what I find very interesting about your TL recently)

It does seem like Wilcox has been harsh to the Republicans, but by now TTL's Republican party is certainly not OTL's Republican Party; quite a few people are in the wrong party. It seems to be more like OTL's Democratic Party at the time, pro-silver more populist in philosophy and with Bryan at its head. OTL's Republican Party is split between the Democrats (pro-internationalism, pro-gold) and the Progressives (they got TR).

It is also interesting that both times Wilcox allowed the readers to vote, and affect the course of the TL, the Republicans have been elected. With Fremont it defined the end of the Civil War, and with Edmunds we got the silver depression.

Last edited:
I might have been a bit harsh on the Republicans, but with the National War leaving less of a stigma on the Democrats, the Republicans are bound to do worse than OTL. Also, the positions of the Republicans and Democrats are essentially switched from OTL (at least for 1890s politics), with politicians moving accordingly. This is partly the reason why I had the 1900 election with Bryan and McKinley, as a little nod to OTL but with them in the opposite parties.

EDIT: Ganesha, something like National Geographic probably does exist. And I also just realized that the Polar expeditions are probably beginning around now.

I might have been a bit harsh on the Republicans, but with the National War leaving less of a stigma on the Democrats, the Republicans are bound to do worse than OTL.

I had forgotten that the National War here did not stigmatize the Democrats as much since the war wasn't sparked by an election, and because of the different way that African Americans were enfranchised compared to OTL, etc. Very interesting to think in comparison how long of a shadow the Civil War OTL had on the Dems.

The World in a New Century, Section I: The Regions of the United States
First part of the world review is done! Not much new information here, but I wanted to try my hand at the style of an old geography textbook. Having a turn-of-the-century geography textbook helped a lot when writing this. :D

The World in a New Century, Section I: The Regions of the United States
Published by the McNally Corporation in Chicago, 1901.

New England:

New England has a population of approximately 9 million people and is comprised of the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. The major economic activities in the region are lumbering, fishing, and quarrying of stone. The great forests of northern Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine provide much of the region's lumber. However, because of the danger of extensive logging, the states have begun creating forest reserves to protect some forested areas. The fishing industry in New England is the most prized in the United States and primarily operates out of two harbors: Gloucester, Massachusetts and Bucksport, Maine. Fishermen catch all sorts of fish and lobster off the New England coast but sometimes venture as far as Greenland or Iceland for their catch. Recently, disputes with Acadia have disrupted some of the fishing in the region.

The major cities in New England are also the main cities in the region for the manufacturing and shipping of goods. Boston is the largest in the region and it, along with nearby cities such as Chelsea and Cambridge, form the economic center of New England. Boston's harbor is one of the busiest in the naiton and goods from all over the country and the world are shipped in and out of the city every day. Other large cities in New England include Portland and Bucksport in Maine, Manchester in New Hampshire, Hartford and New Haven in Connecticut, and Providence in Rhode Island.

Mid-Atlantic:

The Mid-Atlantic region has a population of almost 24 and a half million people, and is the most densely populated region in the United States. The Mid-Atlantic is home to the two most populous states in the Union, New York and Pennsylvania, as well as four of the country's ten largest cities (New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and Baltimore). The main economic activities of the Mid-Atlantic are mining and manufacturing. The region is very rich in minerals and the extraction of coal, petroleum, salt, and other minerals make up a large part of the wealth that the Mid-Atlantic produces. The petroleum resources in western Pennsylvania deserve special mention as they contain the largest oil fields ever discovered so far. While the recent discovery of oil in Tejas has come close to that of Pennsylvania, the only other place in the world that currently produces as much petroleum is on the western edge of the Caspian Sea around the Russian city of Baku.

The Mid-Atlantic is one of the two main regions along with the Old Northwest that produce most of the manufacturing output in the United States. The Mid-Atlantic is an ideal location for factories due to the closeness of raw materials such as coal from the Appalachian Mountains and the ease of shipment of goods from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. Numerous cities in the region have thrived because of the boost in manufacturing. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Allegheny in the west produce much of the countries iron and steel using shipments of iron from further west in the Great Lakes and coal from Vandalia and central Pennsylvania. Further east, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore have developed into the most important ports in the nation. Almost all the goods that are exported by the United States go out of either these ports or New Orleans at the mouth of the Mississippi River.

Old Northwest:

The Old Northwest has a population of over 23 and a half million people. It is the second most urbanized region in the United States after the Mid-Altantic. With the multitude of rivers crisscrossing the Old Northwest and the connections to the Missouri River, the Mississippi River, and the Great Lakes, the region is now the transportation hub of the country. Goods produced in the farms and mines of the western United States are shipped along the rivers or railroads through the Old Northwest to reach the factories, ports, and markets in the Lower Mississippi or the states on the Atlantic Ocean.

The region itself also has a number of large cities and manufacturing centers, which take advantage of the central location of the Old Northwest within the United States. Chicago and Saint Louis are major centers of the meat packing industry as cattle is brought in from the ranches on the Great Plains. Along the Great Lakes, cities like Detroit and Cleveland are home to steel companies where iron from Marquette and Itasca are brought in. Indianapolis and other cities in Indiana are quickly becoming centers of manufacturing as well thanks to their central location, and Indianapolis has become the center of the nation's new automobile industry.

South:

The South is the largest region of the United States in both area and population. Overall, 27 and a half million people live in the South. The South is made up of those states that seceded to form the Confederate States of America during the National War, plus Tennessee and Missouri. Due to the slow recovery from the devastation to the region in the National War, the South is very diverse economically. The cities and states along the Mississippi River have for the most part recovered and have a bustling shipping industry of goods flowing down the river. New Orleans at the mouth of the Mississippi is the largest port on the Gulf of Mexico and one of the largest in the United States. Other important ports in the South are located at Tampa, Pensacola, and Havana.

There is little manufacturing in the interior of the mainland South, and much of its economic activity is devoted to agriculture. Cotton, rice, and other plants suited to the region's lush and humid climate are the main crops that are grown in the interior of the South. The little manufacturing in the interior of the South is concentrated in a strip spanning from Birmingham, Alabama to Atlanta, Georgia. This area has the benefit of access to the coal of the Appalachian Mountains, and so a number of factories have been built in the area.

Culturally, the South is the most racially diverse region in the United States. Because of the institution of slavery, there are millions of negroes living in the South. The coastal towns along the Gulf of Mexico, and Jackson, Louisiana and Cuba in particular, also have a large Ibero-American population. Cuba's Ibero population is a remnant of Spanish colonization of the island. The state of Cuba is the most racially diverse in the country, having a large population of whites including Iberos, negroes, Mongols, Indians, and many people of mixed race.

Southwest:

The Southwest has a population of almost 6 million people. Over one third of the people in the Southwest live in Tejas, which has grown much in the past decades thanks to the oil that was recently discovered there. Much of the remainder of the Southwest is not very densely populated. Most of the Southwest's economy is agricultural, with wheat and corn being the principal crops grown in the region. There is also a large amount of land devoted to raising livestock. The states of Houston and Calhoun are the top two cattle producing states in the United States, while Kearny produces the fifth most cattle. While most of the region is employed in agriculture, the two western states, Colorado and New Mexico, also have a large mining sector. These two states produce much of the gold and silver in the country, and owe much of their population growth to mineral rushes in the 1870s and 1880s.

Oregon:

Oregon is the least populated region of the United States and is home to only 900 thousand people. Part of the reason for this is that Oregon is the furthest from the Atlantic coast where most of the immigrants to the United States arrive, and therefore does not receive much migration from Europe. However, the increasing number of population arriving from Asia and the discovery of gold in the Oregon region are causing the population of the region to increase rapidly. Despite this, there are few large cities in the region and they are mostly concentrated along the coast or along the Columbia River.

Territories:

Along with the states, the United States also possesses a number of territories. Most of these territories are located in the northern Great Plains. These are Shoshone, Washington, Dakhota, and Pahsapa. These territories are sparsely settled by the white man and outside some smaller towns and the railroads are home to many Indians. The settled towns in the Great Plains territories are mostly in Pahsapa and Shoshone along the railroads that connect the Pacific coastal states with the rest of the country. However, recently the discovery of gold and silver in western Washington Territory has led to an increase of population there. With the population growth, these territories are likely to be fully admitted as states soon.

The other territories that the United States possesses are the Trans-Pecos Territory and the Congo Territory. The Trans-Pecos Territory is south of New Mexico and is populated mostly by Iberos. Most of the population of the territory lives in the city of El Paso, as the surrounding land is too arid for proper agriculture. The Congo Territory is an overseas possession in Central Africa that the United States gained in the Congo Conference less than a decade ago. The natives of the Congo Territory are uncivilized negroes, but the land is good for cultivating rubber and other tropical resources and so it is profitable for many American companies to operate here. The Congo Territory also handles some of the shipping along the Congo River, although the largest navigable stretch of the river is blocked from the ocean by a series of falls.

I love this update. You captured the style just right; I have a 1904 Social History of the United States textbook, and it pretty much sounds like that.

A few things: you made a minor spelling error (natoin instead of nation) in the Boston bit, no biggie. I didn't realize the territories were still mostly Native American. That's really good. It hadn't occurred to me, but there were really no Indian Wars ITTL. Are Native Americans US citizens or not? In OTL, that happened 1924 with the Indian Citizenship Act. Speaking of which, how does California treat its Native Americans?

Great update, keep up the good work! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the 1900 world updates.

That was fun! It was a neat detail that you did with an old text book style. Certainly looking forward to the rest of the world overview. (One that would be really fun would be a tech based one, also from the POV of 1900s).

Keep up the good work.

Nice.

So, is this thread going to get a "You name in X" thread, or are you going to use more people born after the PoD?

Although iTTL is certainly in time to start introducing fictional characters (and it has introduced a handful of them). I think one of the most enjoyable factors of TTL is the alternate careers and life's of OTL characters. From Lee as the US President to Gauging as a department store entrepreneur, and Sam Clemens as a steamboat magnate. If he does introduce a "your name in TTL" thread, I hope it does not outbalance the historical characters from OTL. Although I am certain that whatever he brings will be awesome.

Thanks everyone!

I didn't realize the territories were still mostly Native American. That's really good. It hadn't occurred to me, but there were really no Indian Wars ITTL. Are Native Americans US citizens or not? In OTL, that happened 1924 with the Indian Citizenship Act. Speaking of which, how does California treat its Native Americans?
A lot of Indians are citizens ITTL, but there hasn't been a blanket citizenship act for them yet. The citizenship process is currently going by tribe as they give up their complete tribal affiliations as happened in OTL prior to 1924. The treatment is probably based on the precedent set by the Five Civilized Tribes ITTL during the Indian Removal by turning the tribes into towns. A lot of the Indians still in the Great Plains territories still aren't citizens, and there are probably some non-citizen tribes in the Southwest still. I haven't decided on the details of the treatment of natives in California yet.

Nice.

So, is this thread going to get a "You name in X" thread, or are you going to use more people born after the PoD?
There probably won't be a "your name in TTL" thread for a while. If there's a historical person who fits the bill of the kind of person I'm looking for for an update, I'll usually use that person. Which does mean that butterflies are reigned in somewhat on an individual or family level, but I do try to justify it when I can. If I can't find a historical person, I'll make up a fictional person. I haven't thought about using board members' names, but if I do, it probably won't happen until we get to the more modern era, and if so only for minor people.

That was fun! It was a neat detail that you did with an old text book style. Certainly looking forward to the rest of the world overview. (One that would be really fun would be a tech based one, also from the POV of 1900s).

Keep up the good work.
I definitely plan on doing a tech update during the overview. Lots of new innovations to talk about from the 1890s. :D

Glad to see this story is still going. Really do wish we could break off a few parts of California though, the U.S. still looks pretty wonky.
Also, have you considered splitting New Mexico in half? It'd look better by a long shot. :D

I definitely plan on doing a tech update during the overview. Lots of new innovations to talk about from the 1890s. :D

Awesome! Certainly looking forward to it.

I hope you don't mind Wilcox, while the TL is in recap mode, I made this collage with iTTL's Presidents up till now, (plus TR since we know he will be there), just thought of posing it as a visual guide. I don't think I missed anyone. Interestingly you can divide the whole set into four even chapters: pre-POD, pre-National War, National War and Reconstruction, and Silver Bust and Boom. Here it is:

Old White Men.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.