Resistance to a handover of Hong Kong and Macau is severely reduced among the west and locals with the KMT running things
What do you mean? If China starts to invade European colonies it won't make them more willing to accept to give them back and China cannot force the West to comply since they have a way inferior military; the US isn't going to intervene to force the handover of HK and Macau if China is invading them, you can't decide to help China if they are invading your allies.

The USSR gave Manchuria to the CCP and then during the CCW the KMT conquered parts of Manchuria, the fact that they lost parts of it doesn't mean the USSR didn't give it to the CCP, saying that is arguing against reality.
If that true then which battles did CCP lose Manchuria to KMT
the US doesn't have any mediating influence
Indochina was controlled Japan which surrendered to US so it has the complete mediating influence over Indochina and France has to agree with whatever America does with Indochina

it doesn't want to, they have no reason to force the French to give up on their colony.
That's why US offered Indochina to China over France ? First learn about OTL rather merely speculating about it
In what TL did the US ask China to take over Indochina?
In OTL. Ever heard of Cairo Conference ? I presume you don't because only seem to speculate about OTL rather than learning about it
Not really since it is also a right-wing dictatorship who hates communism
Egypt was also right-wing dictatorship propped up by US yet Khrushchev did support it
even if he wanted to he cannot do much about the fact that China is going to be destroyed by the technological superiority of the West, not to talk about the fact that he already has problems at home.
So Egypt avoided destruction by the technological superiority of the West because Anubis vanished British and French armies in Suez ? misrepresenting me again
Had Franco invaded France in 1956 would've the USSR supported him? Same thing here.
That nothing to do with this
The US invaded countries in the Americas because someone touched their business of selling bananas, now imagine how it will react to a country that is actively invading its allies
What's the point of NATO if you support those who invade your allies?
When did US support their allies in colonial wars in Asia that didn't involve communists
Yes they do, HK, Macau and Guangzhouwan are internationally recognized as European territories and China (under the Qing) has acknowledged them, meaning that they are their territories and that you are invading them, it's not the same as invading Egypt because it nationalized the Suez canal.
HK was never internationally recognized as European territories they only leased just like Suez was Yet both US and USSR opposed them in retaining the latter
You are arguing against reality, Suez was in Egyptian territory, the only thing GB and France had was the shares of the Suez company which had the canal but it's not because a Brit bought a house in Egypt that it becomes part of Britain.
Suez was as much British territory as HK

Last edited:
If that true then which battles did CCP lose Manchuria to KMT
Please rewrite this phrase so I can understand what you mean.
Indochina was controlled Japan which surrendered to US so it has the complete mediating influence over Indochina and France has to agree with whatever America does with Indochina
France took back control of it very quickly and the only way the US can prevent it from doing so is intervening themselves in Indochina which just won't happen.
That's why US offered Indochina to China over France ? First learn about OTL rather merely speculating about it
FDR wanted to prevent French return to Indochina but he is now dead and Truman won't support China in this.
Even if the US gave full support to the KMT to take over Indochina, then succeeding is ASB.

In OTL. Ever heard of Cairo Conference ? I presume you don't because only seem to speculate about OTL rather than learning about it
Roosevelt offered Indochina but Chiang refused and not all that was said in the Cairo Conference was realized, this would be one of the things that wouldn't be realized had Chiang accepted. And objectively the promise of Indochina going to China was very hard to realize and apart from FDR nobody would want to.
Egypt was also right-wing dictatorship propped up by US yet Khrushchev did support it
It was more ally with the Soviets than with the US. The USSR wouldn't do anything to help China in its idiotic invasion.
So Egypt avoided destruction by the technological superiority of the West because Anubis vanished British and French armies in Suez ? misrepresenting me again
Just as Buddha came on Earth and destroyed the Viet Minh, allowing for Chinese troops to take over Indochina/
On a more serious note Egypt got invaded when it nationalized a canal, here China invaded European territory, China would deliberately cause a war against a superior enemy while it cannot be sure about anyone's support, it's a suicidal move.

When did US support their allies in colonial wars in Asia that didn't involve communists
This is not a colonial war, this triggers Article 5 of NATO, you can't ignore it.
HK was never internationally recognized as European territories they only leased just like Suez was Yet both US and USSR opposed them in retaining the latter
No, Suez was a part of Egypt, while HK was British. HK was a "British Dependent territory" meaning that it is a part of British sovereign territory
Suez was as much British territory as HK
Before Egypt was independent yes, after that no.
You know what? I give up, you clearly won't listen to me no matter what I say, have fun in your imaginative world where the US is a world superpower in 1812.

Please rewrite this phrase so I can understand what you mean.
You claimed that KMT Manchuria from CCP which was granted to it by USSR so show in what battles did that happen ?
France took back control of it very quickly and the only way the US can prevent it from doing so is intervening themselves in Indochina which just won't happen.
That was only because America ordered Japan to give it to France which won't happen this time
FDR wanted to prevent French return to Indochina but he is now dead and Truman won't support China in this.
Even if the US gave full support to the KMT to take over Indochina, then succeeding is ASB.
Agreements last longer than people's lives
Roosevelt offered Indochina but Chiang refused and not all that was said in the Cairo Conference was realized, this would be one of the things that wouldn't be realized had Chiang accepted. And objectively the promise of Indochina going to China was very hard to realize and apart from FDR nobody would want to.
FDR will make it happen because he was the most influential person in the Pacific War
It was more ally with the Soviets than with the US. The USSR wouldn't do anything to help China in its idiotic invasion.

Just as Buddha came on Earth and destroyed the Viet Minh, allowing for Chinese troops to take over Indochina/
On a more serious note Egypt got invaded when it nationalized a canal, here China invaded European territory, China would deliberately cause a war against a superior enemy while it cannot be sure about anyone's support, it's a suicidal move.
You keep repeating the same things which proved were false
This is not a colonial war, this triggers Article 5 of NATO, you can't ignore it.
This is a colonial war because meteropoles won't be effected
No, Suez was a part of Egypt, while HK was British. HK was a "British Dependent territory" meaning that it is a part of British sovereign territory

Before Egypt was independent yes, after that no.
You keep refuting actual history while claiming to know it
You know what? I give up, you clearly won't listen to me no matter what I say, have fun in your imaginative world where the US is a world superpower in 1812.
You keep misrepresenting me

Hold up, to clarify Hong Kong and the Suez Canal (unless I'm misunderstanding things)...
Suez Canal:
  • Under a company (Suez Canal Company) until Nasser nationalized it in 1956.
  • Britain has half the stocks in the company
  • Was always Egyptian territory. The Canal itself was a concession to the company.
  • Britain also did have military presence in the canal (the rest of Egypt lost military presence after 1936 excluding WW2)
Hong Kong:
  • Island ceded to Britain in 1839. Kowloon in 1860.
  • New Territories to Britain in 1898 under 99-year lease.
  • Crown colony of Britain. Therefore actually owned by them.

You claimed that KMT Manchuria from CCP which was granted to it by USSR so show in what battles did that happen ?

That was only because America ordered Japan to give it to France which won't happen this time

Agreements last longer than people's lives

FDR will make it happen because he was the most influential person in the Pacific War

You keep repeating the same things which proved were false

This is a colonial war because meteropoles won't be effected

You keep refuting actual history while claiming to know it

You keep misrepresenting me
You don't use actual arguments, you just repeat the same things over and over again without explaining for example how China manages to conquer Indochina. This conversation is pointless since you don't want to have an actual one.
Hold up, to clarify Hong Kong and the Suez Canal (unless I'm misunderstanding things)...
Suez Canal:
  • Under a company (Suez Canal Company) until Nasser nationalized it in 1956.
  • Britain has half the stocks in the company
  • Was always Egyptian territory. The Canal itself was a concession to the company.
  • Britain also did have military presence in the canal (the rest of Egypt lost military presence after 1936 excluding WW2)
Hong Kong:
  • Island ceded to Britain in 1839. Kowloon in 1860.
  • New Territories to Britain in 1898 under 99-year lease.
  • Crown colony of Britain. Therefore actually owned by them.
Yes, it's completely different from the Suez Crisis, in the Suez Crisis GB and France invaded Egypt because it nationalized a canal whereas here the KMT is invading an European territory meaning that they have all rights to defend themselves, the US cannot support China if it does this and the USSR doesn't have a reason to either, at best they give vocal support and do nothing.

You don't use actual arguments, you just repeat the same things over and over again without explaining for example how China manages to conquer Indochina. This conversation is pointless since you don't want to have an actual one.
Didn't China occupy Northern Indochina while the British occupied the south in 1945 if I recall correctly? The KMT also had a sister party in Vietnam (the VNQDD) and a Lao government already set up (Lao Issara)

I don't see the KMT moving into South Indochina/supporting the Viet Minh after they leave northern Indochina (to France) when they have an entire civil war to deal with. Besides in Cambodia, I doubt there's anything they have to set up anything sticking, aside from pre-existing government institutions from the French protectorate.

Didn't China occupy Northern Indochina while the British occupied the south in 1945 if I recall correctly? The KMT also had a sister party in Vietnam (the VNQDD) and a Lao government already set up (Lao Issara)
KMT did have some troops in Indochina but that wasn't a very significant force and as soon as the locals understand that the Chinese have the intention to puppet the territory it won't last long for the. There were some movements but they controlled almost nothing, they don't stand a chance against the Viet Minh and the French will try to retake Indochina no matter what the US says.
Britain did have some troops but the British collaborated with the French at the beginning of the war and they will also do this ITTL.
I don't see the KMT moving into South Indochina/supporting the Viet Minh after they leave northern Indochina (to France) when they have an entire civil war to deal with. Besides in Cambodia, I doubt there's anything they have to set up anything sticking, aside from pre-existing government institutions from the French protectorate.
Here the premise is that the CCP is destroyed in the encirclement campaigns and therefore Chiang decides that he will try to conquer Indochina and Korea after WW2. The KMT decided to withdraw IOTL precisely because they had to fight a civil war but that doesn't mean that they will try to conquer Indochina just because he doesn't have other priorities.

Assuming WW2/the conflict with the communists goes VERY well for the KMT prior to the Japanese capitulation, I can see them maybe sending troops to Korea and Indochina to accept the local surrender ceremonies, and those countries could end up in the Nationalist Chinese sphere of influence by default, as would Burma very likely.

But formal annexation or even attempted puppeting by the ROC would violate the very international norms that the Allies were trying to set up for the postwar world, and it's not like Korea and Indochina were minor nations. It would not only damage Nanjing's reputation but also engender severe local opposition and the Chinese would have to waste their limited resources controlling the restive population.

Last edited:
Assuming WW2/the conflict with the communists goes VERY well for the KMT prior to the Japanese capitulation, I can see them maybe sending troops to Korea and Indochina to accept the local surrender ceremonies, and those countries could end up in the Nationalist Chinese sphere of influence by default, as would Burma very likely.
I'm not sure why you think so
The DPRK is there and it certainly won't be in the KMT's sphere.
South Korea is a US puppet and it doesn't have a reason to become a puppet of China, there probably would be some ties but nothing crazy.
North Vietnam is an enemy of China due to its Communist nature.
Laos, Cambodia and South Vietnam would be affected by TTL's Vietnam war and wouldn't be its puppets, they would be at best allies.
Burma doesn't have a reason to be a Chinese puppet.
But formal annexation or even attempted puppeting by the ROC would violate the very international norms that the Allies were trying to set up for the postwar world, and it's not like Korea and Indochina were minor nations. It would not only damage Nanjing's reputation but also engender severe local opposition and the Chinese would have to waste their limited resources controlling the restive population.
France who has a much, much better army than the Chinese failed to take over Indochina so the Chinese managing to do so is ASB.

I'm not sure why you think so
The DPRK is there and it certainly won't be in the KMT's sphere.
South Korea is a US puppet and it doesn't have a reason to become a puppet of China, there probably would be some ties but nothing crazy.
North Vietnam is an enemy of China due to its Communist nature.
Laos, Cambodia and South Vietnam would be affected by TTL's Vietnam war and wouldn't be its puppets, they would be at best allies.
Burma doesn't have a reason to be a Chinese puppet.

France who has a much, much better army than the Chinese failed to take over Indochina so the Chinese managing to do so is ASB.
I think it's very hard because you have to fix a lot of Nationalist China's massive prewar problems, but assuming that they get their game in order, you can avoid a bunch of the conditions obtaining in OTL 1945.

Stuff like:
-- No North Korea due to changes in the overall China front leading to possibilities like no Soviet invasion of Manchuria, different negotiation results at Yalta.
-- Likely no South Korea either due to America seeing TTL's stronger China and the State Department just putting all of Korea under ROC purview.
-- Stronger Chinese military and proximity to Indochina facilitating their walking over the border, accepting Japanese surrender at Hanoi, and setting up bases in Vietnam.
-- Different outcome of negotiations leading to France accepting existence of independent, loosely China-aligned Indochina.
-- Vastly more competent KMT setting up friendly independent govt in Indochina/Vietnam, sideling or co-opting Vietminh. Insurgency avoided.

The more things are changed before and during the war, the greater the possibilities after the war. The challenge is setting up the earlier changes and progression of events to be realistic.

Last edited:
I don't think the Soviets would give Manchuria to the KMT.
Only if the US and UK would agreed to have KMT in the Soviet Sphere. Which I agree with you they would not.
The Soviets would have been more than likely kept it as a Soviet Puppet if not for the CCP.
I could even see the Soviets "split it" with KMT but I doubt the KMT would like that much either.

-- Stronger Chinese military and proximity to Indochina facilitating their walking over the border, accepting Japanese surrender at Hanoi, and setting up bases in Vietnam.
Chiang only wanted to get the surrender of Japanese troops and go home, this was during the CCW but I doubt he would seriously want to try to get Indochina.
-- Different outcome of negotiations leading to France accepting existence of independent, loosely China-aligned Indochina.
France wanted its colony back, they wouldn't just give up on it because the Chinese occupy the Northern part of it and the Chinese won't hold it for long.
-- Vastly more competent KMT setting up friendly independent govt in Indochina/Vietnam, sideling or co-opting Vietminh. Insurgency avoided.
If the Chinese troops are there to stay then the Viet Minh will very quickly turn against them, the only reason they didn't OTL was because Ho Chi Minh didn't want to get China involved but had he not done that the Chinese troops which were there only to take the Japanese surrender could've very well fought with the Viet Minh, here the KMT is actively trying to conquer Indochina, there is no way they'll just let them especially when the Chinese realize that they are communists.
The more things are changed before and during the war, the greater the possibilities after the war. The challenge is setting up the earlier changes and progression of events to be realistic.
You would need to completely change the path the KMT went on and even then it's unlikely they manage to.

Last edited:
If the Chinese troops are there to stay then the Viet Minh will very quickly turn against them, the only reason they didn't OTL was because Ho Chi Minh didn't want to get China involved but had he not done that the Chinese troops which were there only to take the Japanese surrender could've very well fought with the Viet Minh, here the KMT is actively trying to conquer China, there is no way they'll just let them especially when the Chinese realize that they are communists.
How old is the Vietminh? Were they like the CCP, i.e. always communist since like 1920, or was there a gradual evolution of its ideology/political platform?

EDIT: Note the OP is talking about the KMT destroying the CCP in the 1930s so we have at least back to then as the point of departure. Many things can happen.

How old is the Vietminh? Were they like the CCP, i.e. always communist since like 1920, or was there a gradual evolution of its ideology/political platform?
Viet Minh was created during WW2(the CCP asked them IIRC), it always was communist but it prioritized the independence of Vietnam over proletarian revolution.
EDIT: Note the OP is talking about the KMT destroying the CCP in the 1930s so we have at least back to then as the point of departure. Many things can happen.
In the 1930s Chiang is still there, he still isn't the most popular leader of the world and he still would face difficulties against the Japanese. Even if Chiang or who replaces him does every single thing right and has an incredible luck he still wouldn't be able to win since France who has a much, much better army than him failed to take Indochina back after 8 years of fighting, the KMT won't be able to conquer Indochina or puppet it, it doesn't have the geopolitical reach to do so without direct intervention either.