Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Who says we need a “patron owner”? Who says Jetix can’t be independent?
check my edit answer, Money, Jetix never have it, they always were part of Disney, is like asking how buenavista could finance themselves? they need the money from Disney tiselft

Star Wars is a work of fiction. Is space wizards fighting with laser swords “credible”?
The drama, of people going for impossible odds, plus the force has limitations and rules in universe, plus we're dealing OTL events, organization needs management and money, disney was just a brand for FOX/DISNEY Family international networks, if disney say, we're closing, they can just look for new jobs, they have zero power.
This is the same disney ended up killing jake long because Kim possible production team hate it

Believe it or not, Jetix Italy actually became independent rather than get absorbed by Disney, becoming Switchover Media. Maybe they convince the rest of Jetix Europe to do the same.

Or maybe Bandai convinces them not to merge with Disney because “they’re gonna kill Power Rangers.”

After some thinking, you are probably right in that someone would need to back it financially. I see Saban, who would rebuy Power Rangers in 2010, being the main backer (making this the equivalent of Saban Brands), and 4Kids may or may not also back it. WB, while I did say they have a content deal, does still own CN, both in the US and internationally (where the WB-CN feud isn’t as strong). NBC Universal at this point owns stakes in Qubo in the US and KidsCo internationally. Sony has Animax, which isn’t the same demographic but does have significant overlap. And after struggles with 4Kids TV (4Kids not paying their lease, and the block not reaching the intended 90% coverage across America… thanks New World), Fox was just done with children’s television. They switched to infomercials on Saturday morning and never looked back. (Except for Xploration Station, but that was teen-centric E/I content they’re forced to have and they’d get rid of it in a heartbeat if they could.)

Believe it or not, Jetix Italy actually became independent rather than get absorbed by Disney, becoming Switchover Media. Maybe they convince the rest of Jetix Europe to do the same.

Or maybe Bandai convinces them not to merge with Disney because “they’re gonna kill Power Rangers.”
Here this a POD you can nurture, also as you say, some block weakness in the US. Bandai/Toei could also offer content(now a channel to show pretty cure), Ironic if Jetix get back into ABC when disney shutdown just their own block, LA and NYC ABC stations would love to get PR back on the air

I've got a WB-centric timeline of my own, if you guys want to hear it.

What if Warner Bros. didn't partner with Fox Kids and chose to go independent?

Let's say that, like other times before and since, Warner Communications became too self-confident, and tried to make their own weekday syndication block to match against The Disney Afternoon. Headlined by Tiny Toon Adventures, no less.

Doing this could have given Disney some competition closer to home, while Fox Kids would be without a significant partner in the network. Here's where Haim Saban comes in.

Assuming that WB scopes out its own niche in broadcast syndication, and all other programming licenses still exist, Ninja Turtles on CBS chief among them, they could pick up something like Barnyard Commandos in 1990, and become even more reliant on Saban Entertainment than they already are. Samurai Pizza Cats would almost instantly get a weekday slot there, let's be fair.

It's not much, but it's something.

Here's an idea, based on the series The Playboy Murders: WI Dorothy Stratten's estranged husband, Paul Snider, kills Peter Bogdanovich, too?

I've got a WB-centric timeline of my own, if you guys want to hear it.

What if Warner Bros. didn't partner with Fox Kids and chose to go independent?

Let's say that, like other times before and since, Warner Communications became too self-confident, and tried to make their own weekday syndication block to match against The Disney Afternoon. Headlined by Tiny Toon Adventures, no less.
I’m assuming the line-up would be Merrie Melodies with Bugs Bunny and Friends, Tiny Toons, Fun House, and some other fourth show. But what would the fourth show be?

I’m assuming the line-up would be Merrie Melodies with Bugs Bunny and Friends, Tiny Toons, Fun House, and some other fourth show. But what would the fourth show be?
I bet it would be either ThunderCats or The Comic Strip, depending on which one Telepictures would prefer to promote.

Say, all this talk about another children's cable network other than Nick, CN, or Disney has got me intrigued. While some can point to examples like The Hub/Discovery Family and Universal Kids as examples of why "fourth kid networks" usually fail - those came out during the sunset era of cable TV. I'm more talking about potential competitors coming out in the late 1990s/early 2000s when cable TV is iron strong. I think given 3 is considered the maximum competition - perhaps the fourth one could be a joint venture where all the smaller companies contribute content to. Similar to Fox Kids in its prime.

In my ongoing TL, this actually eventually happens and by the 2000s there are six major children's cable networks: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, The Disney Channel, KidzBox, Animax, and The Hub. The latter three are all jointly owned.

Say, all this talk about another children's cable network other than Nick, CN, or Disney has got me intrigued. While some can point to examples like The Hub/Discovery Family and Universal Kids as examples of why "fourth kid networks" usually fail - those came out during the sunset era of cable TV. I'm more talking about potential competitors coming out in the late 1990s/early 2000s when cable TV is iron strong. I think given 3 is considered the maximum competition - perhaps the fourth one could be a joint venture where all the smaller companies contribute content to. Similar to Fox Kids in its prime.

In my ongoing TL, this actually eventually happens and by the 2000s there are six major children's cable networks: Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, The Disney Channel, KidzBox, Animax, and The Hub. The latter three are all jointly owned.
*Wonders if this is MBF lore

Star Wars is a work of fiction. Is space wizards fighting with laser swords “credible”?
Hell no it isn't credible, so fictional history can be anything!
Another timeline idea, because I keep coming up with these: What if Jetix became independent?

Inspired by these twitter threads.
AWESOME! I think I might make Jetix independent in my new TL I'm working on, or might make it that from the get-go.
Basically, in late 2007 (and finalized in early 2008), Jetix Europe and Jetix Latin America would become independent from Disney, merging into an entity called Jetix Worldwide, taking SIP Animation and the Jetix/Saban library with them. They would also buy out Toon Disney channels with Jetix blocks on them, including India, Japan, and- most notably- the United States,
How were they able to do that legally?
rebranding them into Jetix in 2008. The brand itself, while still boy focused and action heavy, would also start to air zany comedies as well.
Cool, and as long as these shows are comedic action or fits with the speculative fiction(sci-fi, fantasy, adventure, horror, mystery, etc.) themes of the network, then I'm down.
In the US, at least, without Disney, Jetix forms long-term 5-year content deals with Warner Bros. (who was set to lose Kids’ WB in 2008, and was feuding with CN at the time) and 4Kids Entertainment (switching from CN when it comes to syndicating their shows),
Oh wow.........
both of which IOTL introduced shows on Jetix in late 2007 (Batman, Superman, and Pinky and the Brain from WB, and Chaotic from 4Kids). This would even extend to first-run series,
For real?
as Batman: The Brave and the Bold premieres on Jetix instead of CN. While these deals aren’t quite exclusive (CN still gets Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc., MAD, and The Looney Tunes Show), Jetix would get most of the action and a lot of the more high-octane comedy series (including the DC shows and 4Kids’ bread and butter).
That's just crazy.....so basically, Cartoon Network is FUCKED in terms of action after they cancel Toonami.... Would Jetix Worldwide buy Marvel?
Series from Jetix Europe (and international Disney X-D coproductions IOTL) would also be included, ranging from Kid vs. Kat to Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja. SIP is absorbed into Jetix Europe, and continues making original shows.
Nice.
Most third party DXD acquisitions, such as Naruto Shippuden, stick around.
Ummm........Why can't CN air it? They'll need something for their action block since DC has left them for the World of Jetix. Regardless, does Jetix have looser censorship? Does Shippuden last longer?
Power Rangers is never cancelled (though it does take a hiatus in 2012 so the Gokaiger adaptation can line up with PR’s 20th Anniversary in 2013).
Ok, but do they still do that stupid "Power Rangers Super _____" thing? I always thought that was a pain in the ass. Maybe RPM airs in 2010 instead of the MMPR remaster while 2009's installment is retooled as a backdoor pilot to Aaron Stone?
With SIP not completely shutting down, Jacqueline Tordjman doesn’t help form Zagtoon, and instead most Zagtoon shows like Miraculous are made for Jetix. Saban doesn’t rebuy Power Rangers from Disney, but instead gets a stake in Jetix. He may or may not sell it to Hasbro later down the line. As such, Jetix are the ones that buy 4Kids in 2012, resulting in them buying their properties, their dubbing studio, and their CW block, resulting in a brief period of Jetix on the CW.
Nice! I also think Jetix on The CW would be fucking awesome!
I could see that happening. Maybe we both can collab on this? I did have a old TL idea for Jetix that NEVER WENT ANYWHERE. Maybe we could work on it together @Tacomaster?
I could see Bandai being the main reason the merger doesn't happen. If anything, I can see Bandai Namco buying a stake in Jetix itself. Imagine Jetix becoming the exclusive home for the likes of Gundam, Sgt. Frog and even Pretty Cure, Kamen Rider and One Piece as well!
After some thinking, you are probably right in that someone would need to back it financially. I see Saban, who would rebuy Power Rangers in 2010, being the main backer (making this the equivalent of Saban Brands), and 4Kids may or may not also back it. WB, while I did say they have a content deal, does still own CN, both in the US and internationally (where the WB-CN feud isn’t as strong).
Naw. Since WB just gave their best shows to Jetix, why not have WB stab Turner in the back even further by having them buy a stake in Jetix Worldwide?
NBC Universal at this point owns stakes in Qubo in the US and KidsCo internationally. Sony has Animax, which isn’t the same demographic but does have significant overlap.
Right...........
And after struggles with 4Kids TV (4Kids not paying their lease, and the block not reaching the intended 90% coverage across America… thanks New World),
Yeah.....no wonder 4Kids went with Jetix
Fox was just done with children’s television.
I think Fox could have gave it another shot in the 2010s. Oh, why not have Fox buy a stake in Jetix? Or at least have them start up something?
They switched to infomercials on Saturday morning and never looked back. (Except for Xploration Station, but that was teen-centric E/I content they’re forced to have and they’d get rid of it in a heartbeat if they could.)
Exactly.

Cool! In TL-2K23, by 2010, these are the major kids/animation networks
Cartoon Network/Kids' WB(or maybe Nickelodeon or Checkerboard) - TimeWarner
Disney Channel/Toon Disney - Universal Vista
Fox Family - 20th Century Fox
Animax - MGM Columbia Entertainment
Qubo - NBC Rainbow
Noggin - independent
*Wonders if this is MBF lore
I think I'm pretty sure he said it was.