An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Cryostorm

Donor
If anything, if Rhomania keeps this kind of demographic structure or anything resembling it into the age of cheap artificial fertilizers, its population is going to explode.
Correct, if everything stayed the same, with a butterfly eradicator, Rhomania would be looking at something like 150-180+ million people in just core Rhomania. But B444 has already hinted that the world is going to have something similar to what hit France in the 1800s to a degree and be a lot more even when it comes to industrialization and medicine to the point fertility rates drop worldwide rather than dropping in some regions while exploding in others. Basically stop the 6+ fertility rates continuing passed the point of being necessary that resulted in countries nearly quadrupling in the span of decades.

For one of the literal Tourmarches in the Party of the Tourmarches was her brother, Isaakios Laskaris
Old dynasties never just stay dead do they? They’ve all got be like Arnie huh.

Having revanchists before the creation of nationalism is an interesting turn of affairs but I suppose if you view your self as ‘Roman’ with your enemy being ‘Latin’ that’s probably a close enough substitute. Their goals aren’t completely nonsense, you could militarily retake the Balkans with enough strength and diplomatically sweet talk Georgia and Vlach into being Despots/satellites.

Sicily is going to be a very different beast, by this point the autonomous deal they worked out with Andreas Niketas is practically a cornerstone of their culture/society, they’re not going to surrender it easily if at all. Egypt might be easier if only you’ve got the Ethiopians very willing to aid you do anything there to maintain the trade links.

I’d honestly focus on North Africa, a good portion of the army to win a bit of glory, reclaim lost Roman territory and expand the Carthaginian territories. It would help with the Spanish later on as well.

Regarding demographics, in my original comment I mostly meant to say that Rome will probably not be comparable to OTL Ottomans regarding the population - I assume they will have much more territory in Balkans than Ottomans in 1914 and they will enjoy the same access to agricultural technology and medical science as OTL western states.

They might go to process that retarded French OTL growth, but better agrotech and meditech should still propel it well past Ottomans (whose territories very pretty underpopulated compared to western world).

And that was in regard to Victoria mod - my point was that in game Romans will not have the same demographic problems as in game Ottomans (even if they will be beneath Germany, Triunes, Russia, etc.)

Old dynasties never just stay dead do they? They’ve all got be like Arnie huh.

Having revanchists before the creation of nationalism is an interesting turn of affairs but I suppose if you view your self as ‘Roman’ with your enemy being ‘Latin’ that’s probably a close enough substitute. Their goals aren’t completely nonsense, you could militarily retake the Balkans with enough strength and diplomatically sweet talk Georgia and Vlach into being Despots/satellites.

Sicily is going to be a very different beast, by this point the autonomous deal they worked out with Andreas Niketas is practically a cornerstone of their culture/society, they’re not going to surrender it easily if at all. Egypt might be easier if only you’ve got the Ethiopians very willing to aid you do anything there to maintain the trade links.

I’d honestly focus on North Africa, a good portion of the army to win a bit of glory, reclaim lost Roman territory and expand the Carthaginian territories. It would help with the Spanish later on as well.
Same I agree the notion that reconquering north africa and having it link up back to Egypt will help tremendously on the long run. It'll help placate the tourmache faction, enlarge the despot of carthage and finally will unquestionably protect Roman interest on central and eastern mediterranean.

That way should a hypothetical war ever occur with the Spanish, Arles, and Kingdom of Isles it won't be easy for them dislodge the Roman navy.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I can see a defacto coup in the future. A Laskaris elevated to Kaisar temporarily and then "Oh, no, the Emperor died" backed by the hawks. That's... worrying.

Also yikes, the combination of expansionist military ambition and corporate free for all is a scary consideration. My mind did have a flash to a sort of proto-fascism, which uh, would be a bad thing.

I do wish the Romans could have some "uninteresting times" now

Same I agree the notion that reconquering north africa and having it link up back to Egypt will help tremendously on the long run. It'll help placate the tourmache faction, enlarge the despot of carthage and finally will unquestionably protect Roman interest on central and eastern mediterranean.

That way should a hypothetical war ever occur with the Spanish, Arles, and Kingdom of Isles it won't be easy for them dislodge the Roman navy.
I don't think the Tourmarch faction will be placated by fighting to enlarge a Despotate. They want the Despotates ended and directly administered by Constantinople not strengthened. If anything it might make them angrier.

I don't think the Tourmarch faction will be placated by fighting to enlarge a Despotate. They want the Despotates ended and directly administered by Constantinople not strengthened. If anything it might make them angrier.
I assume warhawks are us, and while some of their goals are crazy (expansion all around) I still hold that reintegration of despotates (whether in unitary or federal state) is good for long term power of the Empire.

Dominions and despotates are nice, but just ask British Empire how long will bonds of friendship last when interests start to diverge.

Blaze

Banned

Thing is. North Africa is largely under Marinid control, a single power that can gather the strenght of the region, making it at the very least a tough nut to crack. Plus Spain, Arles and the Isles will not stand a byzantine attack to conquer the entire sultanate and would certainly also be involved.
Working in combination with the Accord will not only wield the same results but also strenghtened bonds with the most pro-rhoman nations of Europe

Regarding demographics, in my original comment I mostly meant to say that Rome will probably not be comparable to OTL Ottomans regarding the population - I assume they will have much more territory in Balkans than Ottomans in 1914 and they will enjoy the same access to agricultural technology and medical science as OTL western states.

They might go to process that retarded French OTL growth, but better agrotech and meditech should still propel it well past Ottomans (whose territories very pretty underpopulated compared to western world).
Nobody actually knows exactly why French demographics went the way it did, there have been plenty of theories but nobody is really sure about it. Personally, I put it down culmination of the wars against Germany and political instabilities which encouraged young people to emigrate to the New World and cut birthrates. Balkan geography is hills, low mountains, valley upon valley. This isn’t great for development but it’s not insurmountable.
Thing is. North Africa is largely under Marinid control, a single power that can gather the strenght of the region, making it at the very least a tough nut to crack. Plus Spain, Arles and the Isles will not stand a byzantine attack to conquer the entire sultanate and would certainly also be involved.
I’m not actually sure about that, the Marind ‘control’ varied from wildly from time to time. How strong they are depends on a lot of things, the current state has conquered (?) Mali and the Tuareg tribes of the Sahara which means that they’re very spread out.

What I could see potentially happening is that in a few years Heraklios is part of another anti-Barbary coalition to end piracy once and for all by conquering them. Spain gets Morocco, Arles gets Algers and Rome gets Tunis. Rhome gets to flex those diplomatic and military muscles

Dominions and despotates are nice, but just ask British Empire how long will bonds of friendship last when interests start to diverge.
I don’t know about that, considering Canada and Australia; they never stopped sharing the same interests for the most part. It’s just that they felt Britain couldn’t defend/push those interests as well as the US who had the same interests and was wealthier and had the added benefit of formal independence.

Personally I think federalism is the better way forward especially for large multiethnic non-homogeneous states; it saves energy/money for the central government cause they don’t have to control everything in the country and the subdivisons get to embrace their local heritage while maintaining loyalty to the central government. Example; modern US and California. One of the reasons that state is so economically prosperous despite being one of the younger states is because it has the freedom to create laws and polices that cater to itself rather than have to wait for Congress to do it.

I don’t know about that, considering Canada and Australia; they never stopped sharing the same interests for the most part. It’s just that they felt Britain couldn’t defend/push those interests as well as the US who had the same interests and was wealthier and had the added benefit of formal independence.

Personally I think federalism is the better way forward especially for large multiethnic non-homogeneous states; it saves energy/money for the central government cause they don’t have to control everything in the country and the subdivisons get to embrace their local heritage while maintaining loyalty to the central government. Example; modern US and California. One of the reasons that state is so economically prosperous despite being one of the younger states is because it has the freedom to create laws and polices that cater to itself rather than have to wait for Congress to do it.
Yeah, I'm writting from Imperial perspective as a fanboy of TTL Roman Empire. If I were a citizen of TTL Rome or OTL Commonwealth the dominion/despotate path is something I would root for.

But if I view it as a Roman/British statesman (and a timeline reader) some sort of state where everybody feels Roman and involved (and even federal states are usually unitary in foreign policy/military matters) is best for long term prospects of Roman power.

Former British dominions are now just friends and allies, not a part of a global and powerful British Empire.

And even before that, just look at all the haggling British had to do in WW2 to get dominions involved. Canada first wanted it's contribution to Empire Air Training scheme be its primary involvement in war, without sending troops. After that even with sending troops there were conditions where they can be sent, not every theater was allowed. Similar with Australia, Australian PM had to agree with deployments of Australian army, only volunteers were allowed to participate in imperial (out of Australia) operations, and so on...

That's all very sensible and best for citizens of those countries and something I would support if I were them, but it complicates things for planners in Constantinople. And that's even only when it works, the empire dissolved afterwards.

I just want to see a strong and united modern Roman empire. It will still be quite strong only with core territories, but as a fanboy I root for bigger and better :p

EDIT: Of course, I don't mean to say I want despotates in at any cost, like oppressed subjects. That's obviously worse than dominion/despotate route. You somehow need to make them feel citizens of Rome, feel involved. Which is the hardest part of realistic timeline.

Last edited:
The full war-hawk program certainly did not lack for ambition. The purpose was to secure the fruits that Rhomania should have secured after its recent wars, rather than the watered-down pathetic scrap they’d gotten instead. Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, and all of Italy to the Alps should’ve been conquered, with Hungary, Vlachia, and Georgia all turned into official satellite states. The Egyptians and ungrateful Sicilians should also have been reabsorbed, and Mesopotamia either conquered or at least turned into a vassal state that owed allegiance only to Constantinople. Persia should be, if not shattered, at least firmly shoved behind the Zagros. Conquests around Carthage in North Africa were also discussed, but took backstage to the above-mentioned which were considered far more important.
I feel that the party of Tourmarches was partly inspired by commenters in this thread badgering our Basileus hahah. Are we witnessing the birth of the military-industrial complex in Rhomania? Is Leo a member of this party?

Some of Athena’s efforts to retain the loyalty of the army also were counter-productive. She was one of those women who had served openly in the Roman army during the siege of Thessaloniki, and at certain points she still proudly wore her artillery tourmarch’s uniform. But while many Roman men had praised the women who had done so, there were many more who condemned such actions. Many of the latter also thought it was a reproach to their own manliness. Warfare is the most stereotypical masculine activity and having women participate in it, especially with skill and dedication, was unnerving and shaming. To those thus disposed against women in uniform, or Athena’s policies in general, Athena’s references to her past military conduct diminished rather than enhanced her status.
Has the number of women serving in the army declined since then? Regardless, I look forward to seeing a viable opposition to the Tourmarches arise who prioritise responsible administration and diplomacy.

I feel that the party of Tourmarches was partly inspired by commenters in this thread badgering our Basileus hahah. Are we witnessing the birth of the military-industrial complex in Rhomania? Is Leo a member of this party?
Much like the ultra-hawks that so injured Rhomanian morale in the War of Roman Succession, it is a pretty explicit reference to some of the more frequent comments bemoaning that Rhomania loses even when it wins and should absolutely brutalize its hard-earned buffer states to score some kind of "resounding victory".

The story has progressed quite well. I am hoping perhaps we get to see someone finally claim Australia since the WU abandoned it. Perhaps Rhomania establishes Nea Rhomania or the Notia Edafi as a name for it.

The story has progressed quite well. I am hoping perhaps we get to see someone finally claim Australia since the WU abandoned it. Perhaps Rhomania establishes Nea Rhomania or the Notia Edafi as a name for it.
I doubt it. Australia is still a hell hole to visit, much less colonize while the Wu remnants are inhabiting the most valuable parts of the continent as the Aboriginals are dying off. This is bad for the colonizers as they're going to be dealing with a far more advanced and numerous enemy than a bunch of hunter-gatherers. Coupled with the Little Ice Age and the lack of important trade goods within the continent, it's very unlikely anyone is going to find Australia appealing enough to settle.

Two ideas for Rhomanian Australia if it becomes a reality.

Attachments

• flag_of_Notia edafi.png
    flag_of_Notia edafi.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 127
  • flag 0f rhomanian colony of Notosia.png
    flag 0f rhomanian colony of Notosia.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 120
Can Rhomania not catch a break?

Yes, but not now. This is like one of those periods in OTL where thing after thing just keeps piling up. Many historians refer to this time period IOTL as the General Crisis of the Seventeenth Century.

The reason in-TL-context why the above update is that there just hasn’t been a break for Rhomania really since the late 1590s (whenever exactly the Great Uprising and Eternal War kicked off). People react to that kind of pressure and that leads to consequences.

The Romans will get a break. The last-third of the seventeenth century will be much quieter for the Romans, but we’re not there yet. Lots of things have been building up in Roman society over the past decades and they’re coming to a head.

Roman Population: I did say the Romans would have more people than the OTL Ottomans. But I still stand by my assertion that Rhomania, as a great power, would be a 1913 France in that club. Still certainly a great power, but by that standard, has a population on the lower end of the scale.

Much of Rhomania is just not good agricultural land. There are some good spots but they are the exception, but just look at a topographical map of Greece and Turkey; it’s mostly hills and mountains. Rhomania is a Mediterranean country like Italy or Spain; compared to the likes of France, England, Germany, or Russia, it’s not good agricultural land, especially in pre-industrial times.

Importing food in pre-steam engine days doesn’t help much in this regard; see the updates about transportation early in the Context series. IOTL Ottoman Constantinople consumed about 500 tons of grain a day, while at the same time the grain trade in Danzig exported between 150,000 to 200,000 tons of grain a year. So the entire Vistula grain trade would be just about enough, with a little extra, to feed Constantinople, but just Constantinople. The grain imports from Scythia and Egypt are what enables the big Roman cities (Constantinople, Thessaloniki, Antioch, Smyrna) but given the transportation limitations of the day are not enough on their own to power a Roman population boom. The Ottomans had Egypt after all IOTL.

Also again Rhomania is a country in the eastern Mediterranean, which also means a different and more deadly disease pool than the likes of northern France, England, or Germany. Southern Italy faced a significantly heavier disease burden than northern Italy, a strong cause for one of the reasons why the South fell behind the North. Another OTL example is the American South compared to the North. If your population has to deal with hookworms and more malaria and your neighbor doesn’t, your neighbor has an edge. Also western Europe stopped getting hit by the plague with an outbreak in Marseille at the beginning of the 1700s as the last hurrah, but the disease kept hammering the eastern Mediterranean for at least another century. Reasons why plague disappeared in western Europe at the time are still unclear, but in Balkan and Anatolian highland rodent populations were acting as a plague reservoir, that would impose an additional disease burden. (This entire paragraph inspired and informed by Kyle Harper’s new book Plagues Upon the Earth: Disease and the Course of Human History.)

That’s all OTL stuff that I think is applicable both to the OTL Ottomans and also to the TTL Romans, even if there might be some variance in degree. Now let’s get to TTL factors. A lot of this is going to be aftereffects of the current crisis unfolding ITTL but at this point I’m just going to stop caring about spoilers.

Rhomania is going to be a rich and prosperous society by the standards of the time. It’s not going to be like the Ottomans or the various Balkan countries (which were certainly not rich and prosperous in the 1800s). With a strong subset of wealthy peasantry who practice partible inheritance, there’s going to be strong cultural inclinations to limit reproduction. Basically the Roman peasantry go the route of the post-Revolution French peasantry. This is one argument I’ve seen for why French population growth slowed massively in the 1800s. Poorer peasants tend to have more kids than rich ones.

Plus the urban demographic black hole effect is still very much in place (see earlier updates in the Context series as well). To use an example from said earlier update, London at this time IOTL had a significant surplus of deaths over births. So just to maintain its size, much less grow, London had to constantly import people from the countryside (and would then often proceed to kill them, meaning new imports, and so on). The number needed to make good the difference between London’s deaths and births every year was equivalent to a 0.25% annual growth rate for the population of England at the time. So if England’s population really grew at 0.5% a year, London’s urban demographic black hole swallowed half of that.

Now Rhomania doesn’t have any cities as big as London or Paris, but it’s much more urbanized than France or England, so the overall demographic urban black hole effect is bigger, just spread out more rather than concentrated in one megalopolis. This is also, by the way, an argument I’ve seen why the Ottomans’ population didn’t rebound from Little Ice Age period at the rate of western Europe or Russia.

This is from Sam White’s The Climate of Rebellion in the early modern Ottoman Empire, which argues, along with Geoffrey Parker’s Global Crisis: War, Climate Change, & Catastrophe in the Seventeenth Century, that the Ottoman Empire was both hit especially hard by this period and also took longer to recover than its contemporaries. The reasons for both the hard hit and the slow recovery vary, with a mix of political, cultural, and environmental. Some of these reasons do not apply to the Romans; the Ottomans really needed to install a revolving door in the Topkapi Palace considering the number of Sultans and Viziers they went through during this period. It won’t be that bad for the Romans. But many of the reasons still apply to the Romans, especially the environmental and ecological ones.

So, in short, to have the Romans have a comparable population growth to the likes of western Europe or Russia requires numerous assumption, many of which I do not consider to be accurate.

In terms of population, the Romans will do better than the OTL Ottomans. But there is still a gap between that and ‘comparable to Triunes or Germany’. To tie back into the Victoria mod conversation that started this, the Ottomans have a population deficit issue compared to the other would-be great powers. Whatever that deficit is, the mod Romans would have that halved, but there would still be that deficit. The issue would be smaller, but it would still be there.

Note that the details are extremely inchoate, with any numbers used meant to be illustrative of proportion, but the idea of modern Rhomania being a great power but one that’s weaker on population is heavily baked into my plans going forward.

Addendum: The population talk is focused specifically on the Roman heartland (Greece, Bulgaria, Albania, Turkey, Crimea, northern Syria). Having a Roman Indonesia would change the population dynamic, but the changes would be determined first by how Indonesia develops. Indochina, Indonesia, and the Philippines were lightly populated at this point IOTL; that whole area had a population that was comparable just to the HRE around 1600ish. The massive population boom is a product of the 1800s and 1900s. Plus there’s the matter of how a Roman Indonesia relates to the metropole. It’s going to have its own interests and concerns, much as how Australia considered defending Malaya a lot more important than reinforcing the Middle East in 1941.

Militarist plans: From my POV, I don’t think all their plans are insane, in isolation. Trying to combine them all though is. They could get away with the Balkans, but not that and Italy. And there’s the issue of defense. I remember reading a seventeenth century Spanish minister complaining about how they (Spain) was the target at which the whole world loosed its arrows. Being widespread does mean more room for others to attack you, and likely a longer list of those who want to attack you. I sometimes wonder how Spain would’ve fared if it never ended up being combined with the Netherlands and HRE under Charles V and focused exclusively on its American and Mediterranean holdings.

EDIT: Of course, I don't mean to say I want despotates in at any cost, like oppressed subjects. That's obviously worse than dominion/despotate route. You somehow need to make them feel citizens of Rome, feel involved. Which is the hardest part of realistic timeline.

That’s the key, and the stumbling block. The Roman model says you need to speak Greek and practice Orthodoxy. The Copts of Egypt are 0 for 2 for that, and trying to turn the Copts into Orthodox would likely go about as well as the English trying to forcibly convert the Irish to Anglicanism.

Sicily’s a weird mix where part of the population is 2 for 2, and the rest is 0 for 2. And the Sicilian Vespers is becoming a big part of their national mythos.

With Rhomania-in-the-East, it’s just a matter of geography. Interests are going to diverge simply because they’re so far away, just like how Canada’s and especially ANZAC’s geopolitical interests are not that of the UK.

That said, I recently had an idea spurred on by my comment of comparing Rhomania-in-the-East with the eastern Mediterranean under the classical Roman Empire. Picture a scenario where RITE gets a cadet branch of the Imperial dynasty and becomes the new Eastern Roman Empire, with the ‘Byzantine heartland’ becoming a new Western Roman Empire, with the two cooperating like the classical versions combined with the Bourbon family compact.

Absolutely not guaranteed, but a thought I had to square the ‘want to keep Roman, but recognize local aspirations and interests and not be brutalizing to provincials’.

Has the number of women serving in the army declined since then? Regardless, I look forward to seeing a viable opposition to the Tourmarches arise who prioritise responsible administration and diplomacy.

Not declined. They’re gone. The women were mostly women who dressed up as men to fight in the war, with some of their number getting discovered. This was inspired by examples from the American Civil War. The only women who served openly as women was the artillery unit Athena commanded during the siege of Thessaloniki, which was very much a special exceptional case restricted to that one time and place.

I doubt it. Australia is still a hell hole to visit, much less colonize while the Wu remnants are inhabiting the most valuable parts of the continent as the Aboriginals are dying off. This is bad for the colonizers as they're going to be dealing with a far more advanced and numerous enemy than a bunch of hunter-gatherers. Coupled with the Little Ice Age and the lack of important trade goods within the continent, it's very unlikely anyone is going to find Australia appealing enough to settle.

Either Australia becomes a ‘new Wu’ state consolidated by the Wu who stayed, or it will eventually end up Roman. But the Wu who remained would be a significantly greater challenge than the aborigines. Much higher disease resistance combined with iron technology, so I consider them comparable to some of the more powerful sub-Saharan African realms fighting colonization in the late 1800s. So an invader can beat them, but they need to show up with breech-loading rifles, not muskets, to do so, so that’s a ways down the road.

I really like the flag but haven’t considered what I would call a Roman Australia. Part of me really likes the idea of naming it Antarctica. That’s because I can then have the Grand Army of Antarctica, and that makes me imagine a great host of penguins marching on the enemy demanding ‘give fish or die’.

And that image gives me joy.

Anyone have a link for the latest military structure? The last I seem to recall is from Niketas’ time!

Can’t remember the last time I had a specifically military structure only update. There’s been some redrawing of the borders, but there’s still the various themes that produce the regional tagmata, plus the guard units usually stationed at Constantinople. The big change is that they’re all compensated in cash, rather than in money and land grants.

Tbf modern day Turkey is the world's seventh-largest agricultural producer

The Byzantines can do something with that agricultural potential
That is with modern tech though.

I believe the higher income rates of ATL Romans is what ultimately will bring down the population down or lower than expected by some. Even if we assume the population of Roman homeland can grow crops enough for a larger population as large as France or Russia pre industrial, the higher per capita income and higher literacy rates of the Roman empire will bring population down.

I think the way I will see this is the Romans will have the demographics of 1913 France but will have administrative, industrial, financial qualities from the British, German and USA of 1913.