Alternate warships of nations

true. French Ships towards the mid 20th century, started to look more normal.
Counterpoint:

D603-Duquesne-04.jpg

I think the British and Italians are tied in terms of the looks of their ships. The American and German ships always seem rather masculine to me, big and brash. The French just seem to have gone all mad scientist with their ships.
and the Italians didnt go mad with theirs?! British ships are sleek, elegant and try to look graceful. emphasis on "try". Italians are a cross between the mad scientist route and the British style route. I agree with yours on the Germans and Americans though.

and the Italians didnt go mad with theirs?! British ships are sleek, elegant and try to look graceful. emphasis on "try". Italians are a cross between the mad scientist route and the British style route. I agree with yours on the Germans and Americans though.
I think that's why I like the Italians. They combine the lovely lines of the RN, and the insanity of the MN.

What's the jury on the Japanese? Both in relation to and before Pagoda Masts?

imo, before the pagoda masts they tended to be very British in their style (and also with a bunch of ex-Russian prizes in their pre-dreadnought fleet), and their carriers generally looked nice even if their funnels to the side rather than regular is weird. Thought early 3 deck Akagi and Kaga were pretty bad, but I would say the trough deck versions had handled that problem.

Ryujou and Ryuhou are also pretty weird looking.

Last edited:
Pre-Pagoda? They look like RN ships. Post-Pagoda... they look very interesting. I can never decide on their ships.
The Soviets are mad btw, and before that the Russian empire had some very nice looking ships.

I think that's why I like the Italians. They combine the lovely lines of the RN, and the insanity of the MN.
Preaching to the Choir my man. the Regia Marina had some good shit.

imo, before the pagoda masts they tended to be very British in their style (and also with a bunch of ex-Russian prizes in their pre-dreadnought fleet), and their carriers generally looked nice even if their funnels to the side rather than regular is weird. Thought early 3 deck Akagi and Kaga were pretty bad, but I would say the trough deck versions had handled that problem.

Ryujou and Ryuhou are also pretty weird looking.
Japanese for me, I kind of have a love-hate relationship with them. I love ships like the IJN Kongo, and the some of their carriers like the Hiryu, but their pogodas. they look kind of like the French but instead, decided to play Jenga with them.
Pre-Pagoda? They look like RN ships. Post-Pagoda... they look very interesting. I can never decide on their ships.
The Soviets are mad btw, and before that the Russian empire had some very nice looking ships.
Russian Empire Cruisers looked good. the Soviets on the other hand, DEFINITELY had too much Vodka when designing their ships.

McPherson

Banned
I've often heard the extreme tumble-home designs had stability problems if they listed past a quickly arrived at point-of-no-return. If that's so, what was the primary appeal? The (problematic) ability to mounts broadside and near end-on firing guns (in the days before superfiring turrets?

Counterpoint:

D603-Duquesne-04.jpg
Ugh.

In general as to shipwrighting, the best balanced of the WWII warships are the Italians, cursed by a lack of torpedo defense, a good DP gun and radar. British ships tend to be good looking and extremely well armored, but their compartmentation was poor and their artillery was only "fair". Their AAA was "unacceptable". This puts them behind the Italians.

American warships tended to be wet, were top-heavy and until their torpedoes and guns were fixed, relatively toothless. They were very hard to sink, which is a tribute to their compartmentation and damage control qualities, but they still look like components piled on a hull. Also their armor was only good up to 12 inch /50 bore size and velocity. Once past that limit, the plate shattered like glass. So, don't get hit. EXPENSIVE to fix that mistake. It was fixed.

French ships were like Italian. But the French guns worked.

Less written about the Japanese and Germans, the BETTER. Bismarck and Yamato looked beautiful but were outrageously bad designs.

The french seem to have used metal nails, not wooden ones.
Link: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-057.php
The referenced article, "British vs French Shipbuilding" uses an analysis of Royal Navy dockyard records to compare the refits of british built and captured french built ships.

Quote from the article (my emphasis):
"Surveys of French ships make continual reference to the ship's frame hogging, sagging and racking. They refer to decks sagging. Frames were cracked and broken. It's very rare to read this sort of structural damage on a British ship unless she's being repaired after a severe action.
Also interesting are the comments on structural practices. British ships had their joints grooved and rebated, secured by a peg and reinforced with a futtock. The French equivalent was to butt the two members together and nail them in place. The use of nails was extensive in French building and was a major cause of failure. There was a thing called nail sickness - a nail would rust in place with the rust seeping into the wood greatly weakening it. Stamp on a joint with nail sickness and the components would separate - not a good idea. Another very common reference is to the French using green timber rather than seasoned wood in the construction of their ships."
Then I stand corrected, the French ships were poorly designed after all. I apologize for the error.
It made the ships more stable at sea by concentrating the weight low down. If done right a French tumblehome battleship was more stable than one with flat sides at sea. That's if done right, and due to a number of factors many French ships wound up with too much weight up above, which acted as a lever and resulted in instability.
Which is ironic since almost all sailing ships of the line had tumblehome, and the French built one of the only ones that didn't and that ship was unstable because of its lack of tumblehome.
It could be said the Yamatos were the best looking battleships ever built, though to me efficient and sound design looks good in itself.

Interestingly when I learned how welding curved plates was much harder than welding multiple flat ones back in WWII and earlier, I started to notice that welded ships seemed to have less curved plates in their superstructure than riveted ones did (especially the older WWI-era and earlier ships). But I think that was just confirmation bias now, there were plenty of riveted ships in WWII that had mostly flat plates. It seems curved plates were used less over time in all types of ships after the 1800s.

Japan though seems to be an exception- their gun turrets in particular had many curves in them, even on welded designs, right up through WWII, and I don't know why it was unique to them. (Fittingly, they were the ones to figure out how to easily make and weld curved plates after the war- at least for plates less than 30 mm thick.)

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I'm sure they are windows but it is hilarious to imagine that in addition to pre-dreadnought style turrets this ship has ship of the line style gun decks.
I assume you mean portholes, but the idea of La Marine Nationale sending out a battleship with a series of dormer & bay windows in the main armour belt rather tickles me!

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I mean, portholes are just a type of window.
Yes - but they don't have that wonderful view. Told the expensive cabins on cruise ships are those on the outside with balcony views. The MN could open a whole new line of credit for further construction by loaning out their battlefleet as cruise liners. The similarity to hotels has already been noticed - this is just the next logical step.

best looking warships go to probably British WW era Battleships. American ones come close second. French Battleships in general are just wack as hell.

British WW1 and Italian WW2 tied, then Japanese with pagoda's, then Americans with tripods then everything else then Americans with lattice masts. I hate those things.

Personally I prefer the Queen Anne's Mansions style superstructure of the interwar & WWII era british ships, it gives off that great helm vibe and really made the ships look like the knights of old.