Alternate warships of nations

Driftless

Donor
Am I the only one who likes this ship and its appearance? Perhaps my French blood is at play. 🧐

I like them too, but mostly for the steampunky appearance factor. I go with the masses on the dubious utility of the designs though.

I can't abide the US double-stacked turrets on capital ships of the '00s. Those were just wrong.....

McPherson

Banned
I meet that challenge sir.
View attachment 683967
The Carnot.
I keep imagining Kirk Douglas chained to a bench with two other guys, cleft chin on prominent display and then a cut shot to (^^^) that thing and suddenly oars appear out of the square portholes a la classical trireme and then on the soundtrack we hear the drums "Thum, thum, thum". and some French actor speaking English badly with an outrageous Parisian accent; "Stroke, stroke, stroke." Cut back to Kirk, and a slave-driver, with a cat-o-nine, lets him have it with a lash across the back and says in evil Hollywood French:

Pull your oar, you pig. We have to catch the English, before they reach the Dardenelles. We cannot let them have all the credit for victory over the Turks.

I keep imagining Kirk Douglas chained to a bench with two other guys, cleft chin on prominent display and then a cut shot to (^^^) that thing and suddenly oars appear out of the square portholes a la classical trireme and then on the soundtrack we hear the drums "Thum, thum, thum". and some French actor speaking English badly with an outrageous Parisian accent; "Stroke, stroke, stroke." Cut back to Kirk, and a slave-driver, with a cat-o-nine, lets him have it with a lash across the back and says in evil Hollywood French:

Pull your oar, you pig. We have to catch the English, before they reach the Dardenelles. We cannot let them have all the credit for victory over the Turks.
Huh, I was thinking Charlton Heston with the slave driver yelling "Ramming Speed!" (Vitesse d'éperonnage?) as they approach a Deutschland class.

McPherson

Banned
Huh, I was thinking Charlton Heston with the slave driver yelling "Ramming Speed!" (Vitesse d'éperonnage?) as they approach a Deutschland class.
1. "Vitesse du ram."
2. Michael Curtiz is the director, so that lashing is for real.
3. I really do not like Kirk Douglas' "acting". Heston, at least, has four facial expressions. Kirk only has two.
4. It is funnier when the English are added, somehow, to a French naval epic.

I like them too, but mostly for the steampunky appearance factor. I go with the masses on the dubious utility of the designs though.
I think I'm like. I am unable to comment on the effectiveness or usefulness of warships.
But I really like the look of this one. It reminds me of the ships you can see in Miyazaki's "Howl's Moving Castle":
174%2Faudiovisual%2Fmovie%2F464%2F60f%2F5952cc67b8e6f31ed9d3e2e5f3%2Fmovies-50409-18659951.jpg

I am generally not a huge fan of late 1800’s period ships however, the pair of Terrible class cruisers of the Royal Navy are very aesthetically appealing to me. The Victorian paint scheme, high freeboard, tasteful casemate arrangement, tidy funnel layout and turreted main guns are all very nice in a period where a lot of ships look like claptraps.

6FE18AAE-94E5-4B20-8E26-C739D1EE27CF.jpeg

Speaking of late 19th/early 20th century, I like the many funnels, shielded gun mounts on deck, mostly on broadsides, hexagonal-ish layout of guns style protected cruisers, aesthetically. (Aurora of the Pallada class is a decent example for what I mean)

So question, in the post Dreadnought period (1906-1914) say a navy decides to apply the innovations of that ship, uniform main battery, turbines, and fire directors, onto an armored cruiser. The resultant ship features eight to ten guns in the 200-250mm range, a speed of 25-27 knots, and armor of 200-100mm on the belt. A modest secondary battery is also fitted of 6-10 guns of between 75-100mm, and its range is anywhere from between 6,000-10,000 nautical miles.

Would a displacement of 12-15,000 tons be realistic for this ship?

@Virginia Liberal

Last edited:
So question, in the post Dreadnought period (1906-1914) say a navy decides to apply the innovations of that ship, uniform main battery, turbines, and fire directors, onto an armored cruiser. The resultant ship features eight to ten guns in the 200-250mm range, a speed of 25-27 knots, and armor of 200-100mm on the belt. A modest secondary battery is also fitted of 6-10 guns of between 75-100mm, and its range is anywhere from between 6,000-10,000 nautical miles.

Would a displacement of 12-15,000 tons be realistic for this ship?
Like this but with turbines?