An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

It would be interesting if flags on ships were color coated Red for war ships Yellow for Trade ships and Purple for the emperors ship

We may never see flags become a widely used symbol of national identity which could be interesting as well as that's not really a guarenteed thing

Blaze

Banned
Well, withouth Malacca, Spain would most certainly pull a OTL Portugal and focus on holding and maybe, if possible, developing their remaining eastern bases and double or triple down their efforts in the New World.

Speaking of which, to what degree, compared to OTL is Terranova colonized by the Latins? By the map, the spanish control the coast from OTL Cartagena to Buenos Aires. That´s a lot of territory which can easilly be colonized and developed and they should have no problems to move inland in places such as southern Brazil and La Plata that have an amenable climate to europeans

Well, withouth Malacca, Spain would most certainly pull a OTL Portugal and focus on holding and maybe, if possible, developing their remaining eastern bases and double or triple down their efforts in the New World.

Speaking of which, to what degree, compared to OTL is Terranova colonized by the Latins? By the map, the spanish control the coast from OTL Cartagena to Buenos Aires. That´s a lot of territory which can easilly be colonized and developed and they should have no problems to move inland in places such as southern Brazil and La Plata that have an amenable climate to europeans
The prussians have an island in the Caribbean as well but we don't know which island they have. Since we know the Romans will be getting a third island in Rhomania in the west they might buy it off of the Prussians in the future

A silly idea that popped up in my mind: a century or two down the line, when Rhomania-in-the-East has come fully onto its own as an integral part of the Roman state (perhaps following the establishment of thriving colonies in Australia and New Zealand), a historical fiction book somewhat akin to The Peshawar Lancers is written. Taking inspiration from the collapse of the unified Roman Empire in the 5th century, the Fourth Crusade, and the aftershocks of the banking crisis and Little Ice Age, order in the Roman heartland collapses as a result of state decay, famine, and Catholic/Ottoman perfidy, resulting in Rhomania-in-the-East becoming the effective core of the Roman state and society. Drawing on the successes had by the former ERE in re-establishing Roman power in the Mediterranean, the book then explores the wayward state's exploits in continuing Rhomania's tradition of reconquest and national revival of strength while surrounded on most sides by hostile powers.

Last edited:
A silly idea that popped up in my mind: a century or two down the line, when Rhomania-in-the-East has come fully onto its own as an integral part of the Roman state (perhaps following the establishment of thriving colonies in Australia and New Zealand), a historical fiction book somewhat akin to The Peshawar Lancers is written. Taking inspiration from the collapse of the unified Roman Empire in the 5th century, the Fourth Crusade, and the aftershocks of the banking crisis and Little Ice Age, order in the Roman heartland collapses as a result of state decay, famine, and Catholic/Ottoman perfidy, resulting in Rhomania-in-the-East becoming the effective core of the Roman state and society. Drawing on the successes had by the former ERE in re-establishing Roman power in the Mediterranean, the book then explores the wayward state's exploits in continuing Rhomania's tradition of reconquest and national revival of strength.
It would be especially fitting if TTL Singapore became the Third Rome. I know New Comstantinople is already a thing, but that place is tiny and off in the middle of nowhere anyways, so TTL Singapore it would be.

Pyrgos and Pekan are both also possible candidates for being the Third Rome, but they're... just outclassed by Singapore.

It would be especially gut-wrenching for Rhomania because, unlike the other European nations, it lost its heartland twice.
Rhomania would be practically synonymous with tenacity... not that it isn't even in OTL, but more so in this ATL of TTL.

Blaze

Banned
The prussians have an island in the Caribbean as well but we don't know which island they have. Since we know the Romans will be getting a third island in Rhomania in the west they might buy it off of the Prussians in the future
I didn´t even knew that the prussians had an island in the Caribean! It´s possible that that´s the one Rhomania acquires. Either way they will never be important in Terranova compared with the big boys

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
We may never see flags become a widely used symbol of national identity which could be interesting as well as that's not really a guarenteed thing
Maybe but flags were really just an extension of the old standard used to designate armies in classical times and then banners used to do the same so others knew which lord the troops belonged to. Flags pretty much grew out of that as individual noble houses became less important, hence why many flags are a royal dynasty's banner, like Poland's, or Germany's and Russia's old flags. What is less likely is the widespread adoption of the republican tricolor since that was due to very specific circumstances.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
I didn´t even knew that the prussians had an island in the Caribean! It´s possible that that´s the one Rhomania acquires. Either way they will never be important in Terranova compared with the big boys
Yeah, B444 mentioned that Rhomania in the West is going to be more like the Danish or Dutch West Indies and kept around more for pride than anything else.

I believe he said a few hre states had some as well. I don't know which ones would be able to but if i had to guess it would be Pomerania and Bavaria although if bavaria had anything the Romans would have taken it by now

I believe he said a few hre states had some as well. I don't know which ones would be able to but if i had to guess it would be Pomerania and Bavaria although if bavaria had anything the Romans would have taken it by now
I literally don’t see how Bavaria could have one. They’re a landlocked nation/duchy that would rely on the goodwill of others (an entire Germany’s worth of others at that) to have a presence overseas. At least, I don’t remember Bavaria being given anything near the coast in the HRE, and Rhomania owns the nearest coastline.

I literally don’t see how Bavaria could have one. They’re a landlocked nation/duchy that would rely on the goodwill of others (an entire Germany’s worth of others at that) to have a presence overseas. At least, I don’t remember Bavaria being given anything near the coast in the HRE, and Rhomania owns the nearest coastline.
They had a coastline when the controlled Scheswig-Holstein before the war of Roman succession

They had a coastline when the controlled Scheswig-Holstein before the war of Roman succession
Really? In that case, they may have got something, but with Bavaria’s weakness and difficulty projecting significant power overseas from their inland power base I don’t see them keeping anything overseas at the current time. The Triunes probably seized anything they had when they invaded the Rhineland.

Have the Romans started commisioning statues of their emperors again? I always preferred statues to the mosaics which became our main way of looking at emperors. Perhaps lady Athena could commission a statue of all emperors going back to Augustus as a part of a project to increase the publics affinity for the legacy of their empire. It prolly won't happen though as the empire will have much more pressing matters in the upcoming decades

Have the Romans started commisioning statues of their emperors again? I always preferred statues to the mosaics which became our main way of looking at emperors. Perhaps lady Athena could commission a statue of all emperors going back to Augustus as a part of a project to increase the publics affinity for the legacy of their empire. It prolly won't happen though as the empire will have much more pressing matters in the upcoming decades
I am getting the distinct impression non Greeks in the forum are likely more interested in the empire maintaining an affinity to Rome than its own subjects and propagandists. :p

I am getting the distinct impression non Greeks in the forum are likely more interested in the empire maintaining an affinity to Rome than its own subjects and propagandists. :p
Y E S

On that note, what are the demographics of the Empire at this point? How many Greeks, how many Armenians, Turks, Bulgarians, Russians, Vlachs, Georgians, Germans etc?

Probably not. The White Palace is pretty much dead broke and I don't think art projects are on their mind as much as public works projects or ship construction.

Perhaps, but I still want a Antiquity revival amongst the Romans in the future. Reconnect with their ancient past in some form, probably to signify to the world they are 100% the actual Romans and justify their treatment of the Latins as Germanic barbarians that took away their glorious empire.

There's definitely a limit on how far the Romans are going to take from their ancestors, though. Gladiatorial combat is definitely out, although maybe we can get chariot races back again? Who knows.

Same. Oddly enough while I love Alexandrian/Hellenic and Byzantine/Rhomaion period timelines I am not all that fond of Roman timelines.
Like, they're obviously still Roman, I think we've deffo got some OTL interpretations of Roman-ness when I expect the Romans of TTL have reconciled that part of their past and don't feel disconnected from their heritage at all.

There is just something MORE about the Byzantine Period, at least in timelines. There isn't just a Roman legacy, but Macedonian, Ancient Greece, Egypt, all tied together in an epic city and state. It is more than a memory of a memory, it was closer, and more relatable.