A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

Well I'm new and have been waiting for a post so I could post something without making everyone think there had been an update. This timeline is great and I thought Abbysinia was fun if a bit zany. Of course if the focus shifts out of the US and neighbors again I'd prefer something a bit meatier like Europe or East Asia. You're really good at this though so I will be glad for anything. Also your version of the Lincoln assassination is probably the greatest thing of seen on this site barring George Romney ousting J. Edgar Hoover in Blue Skies.

Having enthralled us with the new Governors and Congress, I really want to see your take on the Kearny Cabinet in action and the new policies. The Abbysinia storyline was great too but I have been looking forward to find out what's in store for America under the" enthroned king".

This is an alternate timeline with a research level on par with that of Look to the West. I thought it may have been an interesting deviation, but you have the research to back up your butterflies.

Besides, I’m DYING to know what this world turns out like. We still don’t even know what happens in the War of the Three Emperors’!!

You do you KI. I'm happy with whatever you give us as the research is so well done, the writing superb, and the characters given life.

Is the Abyssinian thing a bit zany, sure, but history has some wild stuff in that actually happened. So nothing no complaints here. Do look forward to getting back to the US though.

Please continue. This is a very good timeline and so far has in no way stretched or triggered my suspension of belief. Real life history is so full of insane, incomprehensible and downright idiotic actions that I think most people would easily accept anything that was even somewhat close to being reasonably rational or possible.

There will always be the inevitable rivet counters and nit pickers that plague us all, but I would simply recommend ignoring them as much as possible.

I think the Abyssinian farce is actually really thematic with the larger point of the thread, an America that for once mostly didn't fuck up Reconstruction but has now found whole new fuck-ups to create, and the lasting changes of a 19th century America that has become as staunchly militarized as it would have become in the 20th century. I would really like to see America try to extract itself from the hard pro-European pro-colonial line Kearny seems to create in his vainglorious adventurism and general continental fanboyism.

I'll second the posts about continuing the Abyssinia adventure. It adds more to the timeline overall and allows us to see what would happen in a world where the United States stays more militarized following the Civil War. And once it's all said and done, we get to see the Kearny presidency.

Deleted member 94708

Definitely continue. The Abyssinian adventure is not the oddest thing to happen in history, and certainly no more than the Eight-Power coalition to suppress the Boxers.

Speaking of which, I’d guess you got a bit of inspiration from foreign intervention in Boxer Rebellion IOTL writing this part of the story?

If the Franco-Prussian War is anything like OTL, who wants to bet that President Kearny will lead America into the war as a French ally, amid much jingoistic chest-thumping about repaying the debts of the Revolution?

I doubt it. French actions in Mexico would be deeply unpopular with the majority of the people, In addition I would doubt most Americans would want to get involved in another war so soon after the Civil War. Of course that doesn't mean there can't be volunteers or selling things to them.

I am working on the cabinet post now to be followed by a world update and then into the meat of a Kearny Presidency. I am also re-reading everything to make sure I have caught all my own foreshadowing! (What was I thinking in 2012 - seriously there are a lot of notes!)

I imagine Kearny's cabinet will probably be like an American Legion meeting. I just hope he has some civilian members to make sure there's not too much military tunnel vision. Of course seeing as the officers most prone to unscrupulous behavior are pretty busy in state politics, Kearny's cabinent should be relatively clean and by the by.

I'm curious as to how the self-sorting of the southern states is going to work out after reading the last few updates again. South Carolina, Mississippi, and maybe George seem to be places that will be heavily African-American while Alabama and North Carolina look to be a white enclaves. Texas and Louisana have unique situations. Are there any other states that freeman are flocking to or fleeing from?

Last edited: