An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ody just went full Timur. Never go full Timur.
Why not, trying to be friendly and earn the West's respect has brought nothing but pain and misery as the Catholic powers always find an excuse to attack. It seems Odysseus has decided he very much agrees that if Rhomania can't be loved it will damn well be feared by the West.

I just wonder how important the Greek language is TTL. It's been the pre-eminent tongue of the Near-East for over a thousand years now from Alexander up to the modern era and has likely risen to dominance in the Indian Ocean.

He isn't quite yet the Lord of Asia.

Oh Look. Time to change that. :D Roman Empire from The Alps to Samarkand!

I'm totally self-quoting, but I'm actually legit curious as to what sort of War Room Scenario the Romans could come up with for this. If we go with 'Area of Influence' rather than Direct Rule, it'd be really interesting to have the Romans work on Mandarazan going to Georgia, and establishing a Romano-Mongol Transoxiana client state. Be cool to see the Sideros have a scion in Samarkand. Plus an ally to help in Asia and against the Ottomans is always a good thing.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
I just wonder how important the Greek language is TTL. It's been the pre-eminent tongue of the Near-East for over a thousand years now from Alexander up to the modern era and has likely risen to dominance in the Indian Ocean.
Well we do know that Greek is the premier language of science, especially physics, in the future. Not to mention a major cultural and economic language for Eastern Europe and Southern Asia right now so I bet it likely has a spot similar to OTL Spanish or French if not English.

I'm totally self-quoting, but I'm actually legit curious as to what sort of War Room Scenario the Romans could come up with for this. If we go with 'Area of Influence' rather than Direct Rule, it'd be really interesting to have the Romans work on Mandarazan going to Georgia, and establishing a Romano-Mongol Transoxiana client state. Be cool to see the Sideros have a scion in Samarkand. Plus an ally to help in Asia and against the Ottomans is always a good thing.

All those Turks in Mesopotamia abandoned by the Ottomans during their time pursuing their love of all things Persian seems like a good start :p

Relations are decidedly chilly right now. They’ll cooperate, but too many have died on both sides for there to be any trust for at least a couple of generations.
If Hungarians are cool for a few generations, their relationship with the HRE will take at least double that amount of time to recover. I think it will never go back to their former levels - Hungarians immensely distrusted all over Germany and known for their betrayal that cost them the war.

Henri would want the fleet to sail and cause as much damage to the Romans as possible. That’s his modus operandi: get his opponents to fight and weaken each other.
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet - but maybe once the storm in Europe settles down a little and it becomes clear that both the Triunes and Romans aren't budging from their spots as European hegemons, they could form a new entente like the Ottomans and France did IOTL. They are still allied to TTL Ottomans, but then again stranger things have happened and it isn't impossible for more diplomatic leaders after Henri and Odysseus to realize the benefits of mutual cooperation once their spheres of influence have been properly delineated, especially as they share no common borders and ambitions aside from (still minor) commercial interests in the East

Aside from the Pontiff, many of the Cardinals were also killed at Rome. But not all the College was in Rome, the scattered survivors collecting under the auspices of the most powerful Roman Catholic ruler, Ottokar, King of Bohemia.
Wow, I wouldn't have imagined that Roman Catholicism would be suffering their current fate at the beginning of TTL. Avignon is poised to take over as the primary representative of Catholicism for a while. Roman Catholicism having lost most of its international authority and prestige and now being subservient to Bohemia renders them a secondary power at best and a tool of Ottokar to increase his influence, instead of being a force themselves.

I can’t wait to see what is in store for Iskandar the younger. He’s definitely going to have some work to do after the war of the wrath

its becoming a regular habit to kill the pope and crush the ottomans every 10-40 years. I hope it creates strong national traditions

Constantinople, 2019

Emperor Demetrios VI wakes up and in a haze taps his Oracle watch. A blue hologram appears in the front of his opulent bedroom. It is Athena, his personal assistant A.I.

"Morning Basileus! Would you like to hear your schedule for today?" The Emperor waved a hand yes while buttering up the toast that was left right before he woke up.

"You have to dedicate another Kalomeros-class heavy cruiser at 1 PM over at the Arsenal. Oh, and it is 39 years to the day since the Seventh Sacking of Rome. You know the tradition sir. Every 40 years we have to kill the Pope and/or burn Baghdad to the ground."

Demetrios looked up in surprise. "It has been 39 years already?! Seems like yesterday we were executing the College of Cardinals. Time flies, huh Athena?"

"Yes sir, 39 years ago today," Athena repeated in the neutral tone she was programmed with. "And my programming measures time in equal units so I can't answer your question sir."

"Very well, call the Megas Domestikos and tell him to prepare a plan to invade Rome again. I won't be the Emperor who breaks one of Rhomania's longest-held traditions. Is there anything else?"

"One more thing sir, the Patriarch has a special request for some land near..."

End Scene

I feel like the first time they killed the Pope it was justified but this time it just feels like Ody is a sociopath- just my opinion

Ody has heartlessly murdered many innocent people that mean nothing to him, its for those murders i would view him as a sociopath. Murdering a powerful figure that has financed a war against the roman empire doesn't seem that sociopathic

Constantinople, 2019

Emperor Demetrios VI wakes up and in a haze taps his Oracle watch. A blue hologram appears in the front of his opulent bedroom. It is Athena, his personal assistant A.I.

"Morning Basileus! Would you like to hear your schedule for today?" The Emperor waved a hand yes while buttering up the toast that was left right before he woke up.

"You have to dedicate another Kalomeros-class heavy cruiser at 1 PM over at the Arsenal. Oh, and it is 39 years to the day since the Seventh Sacking of Rome. You know the tradition sir. Every 40 years we have to kill the Pope and/or burn Baghdad to the ground."

Demetrios looked up in surprise. "It has been 39 years already?! Seems like yesterday we were executing the College of Cardinals. Time flies, huh Athena?"

"Yes sir, 39 years ago today," Athena repeated in the neutral tone she was programmed with. "And my programming measures time in equal units so I can't answer your question sir."

"Very well, call the Megas Domestikos and tell him to prepare a plan to invade Rome again. I won't be the Emperor who breaks one of Rhomania's longest-held traditions. Is there anything else?"

"One more thing sir, the Patriarch has a special request for some land near..."

End Scene

man i'm kinda bummed out i only have one like to give

I have to ask, how is killing the Pope every 40 years "diplomatic"?
In EU4 'national traditions' is the first bonus a country gets in its 'national ideas,' with more gathered by adopting other 'idea groups' that allow you to specialize your country towards your gameplay style but also show some historical element to it.

That the phrase 'national tradition' was in that post just made me think of EU4. Diplomatic is an idea group that'd be for the general abilities of the state.

In EU4 'national traditions' is the first bonus a country gets in its 'national ideas,' with more gathered by adopting other 'idea groups' that allow you to specialize your country towards your gameplay style but also show some historical element to it.

That the phrase 'national tradition' was in that post just made me think of EU4. Diplomatic is an idea group that'd be for the general abilities of the state.

Thanks. I have played EU4 previously, but not for a year or two. I probably should have put a smiley after my comment. I still find the idea of assassinating the Pope as a national tradition yielding a diplomatic idea group amusing. I would have thought of it as a permanent casus belli with catholic countries.

A larger question, I wonder if Rhomania is going to be analogous to the OTL UK and US or to countries like France, Germany, and Russia? The US has not been successfully invaded since the war of 1812. The British haven't been successfully invaded since 1066. France and Germany have lost wars and rebuilt themselves on multiple occasions even into the 1900s.

I am still catching up on the TL but I gather Rhomania was invaded in the last 10 years (1625-35) and crushed its opponents. I wonder if that was the last time or will another power manage to seriously threaten them again?