Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buenos Aires, 14 November 1908

The hinterland of Bolivia, International Workers' Day 1909 [post canon]

You know, I have been reading lately.

That book that Etta gave you ? Those animal stories ?

It's not just animals. There is this other story.. the miracle of pure, pure one, ..

Bagehot ?

That's him. It says a man should spend a quarter of his life pursuing pleasure, next wealth, then merit, ..

Maris ?

Merit !

OK.

Remember, when we were robbing banks, they called us bandits ?

That seemed fair.

If -on the other hand- one were to release a hundred and twenty thousand military grade handguns to the citizenry, they'd name me, what ?

You tell us, Butch.

Last edited:
1. Does this have a TV Tropes page?

Not that I'm aware of. It's really not that important.

2. Out of curiosity, why end it here?

It had to end somewhere. The war is over, so that's the big point of the story out of the way. I began organising my files by year early on, and every year ended with a summarising scene of sorts. And there's no way I was going to still 'do' 1909 in a format this time-consuming. Maybe when the kids are in college or something, but not now.

3. What would you like to make next?

There still is the wind-down on this, which is liable to take me several years under current conditions (I'm hoping for more writing time after the summer). I also have several projects for potentially published nonfiction developing, so it may not even be AH. but if I take up another project, I have a few I'd like to do. One is a technological Alternate diverging in the sixteenth century. Another idea is to finally do a proper Francewank. A third is a blasphemously silly ASB story about the Rapture happening in 1991 and the Gates of Hell opening on a a very confused (but eminently battle-ready) Europe. Can you imagine what happens when Leviathan arises from the deep to meet a 209/1500-class U-Boot...

How about like a brief summary of history in a period of time. Ex. 1909-1930s . Then start a new sequel where the new problem is significantly historical. Ex. Communist uprisings in Russia. A Napoleon Dynasty of France. Or even Japan's threat against Tsingtao and Asia.

There still is the wind-down on this, which is liable to take me several years under current conditions (I'm hoping for more writing time after the summer). I also have several projects for potentially published nonfiction developing, so it may not even be AH. but if I take up another project, I have a few I'd like to do. One is a technological Alternate diverging in the sixteenth century. Another idea is to finally do a proper Francewank. A third is a blasphemously silly ASB story about the Rapture happening in 1991 and the Gates of Hell opening on a a very confused (but eminently battle-ready) Europe. Can you imagine what happens when Leviathan arises from the deep to meet a 209/1500-class U-Boot...
Well, nuclear hellfire versus actual hellfire sounds pretty interesting ;)

Well, nuclear hellfire versus actual hellfire sounds pretty interesting ;)

The armies of hell as per Revelation are designed to destroy Roman legions and Parthian cavalry. Huge locusts armoured in tempered bronze. Plague, famine and war. Sheer terror spread by fire and thunder. Nobody ever factored in a foe that had gone through NATO 'battle seasoning' courses, or that had anything as patently unfair as a 7.62mm infantry rifle.

Deleted member 94708

The armies of hell as per Revelation are designed to destroy Roman legions and Parthian cavalry. Huge locusts armoured in tempered bronze. Plague, famine and war. Sheer terror spread by fire and thunder. Nobody ever factored in a foe that had gone through NATO 'battle seasoning' courses, or that had anything as patently unfair as a 7.62mm infantry rifle.

It seems that they might not enjoy over-the-horizon artillery fire or thermobaric weapons either. Biblical literalism is so eminently fun, especially because most of the “The Rapture is coming” crowd just stare at you blankly when you point out that large locusts and whatnot aren’t likely to faze a modern military or even a Boy Scout troop with .30-06’s.

It helps that they’re the same people who stockpile weapons like there won’t be any more made next week, at least in the States.

My money's on flamethrowers.

I know, we don't like using them on humans... but on giant locusts? Bring it on!

So that means, after they have been pushed off the face of the earth, the gates of hell will be used to invade & liberate hell?

I know, we don't like using them on humans... but on giant locusts? Bring it on!

Once these things are airborne, a supersonic flyby is usually enough. Demons are just not very well designed.

So that means, after they have been pushed off the face of the earth, the gates of hell will be used to invade & liberate hell?

Obviously. The bigger question is, what happens once Jesus returns in His Majesty to defeat Satan and rule over the world only to find himself face-to-face with a United Nations relief operation and some very frustrated military lawyers trying to set up a war crimes court.

Obviously. The bigger question is, what happens once Jesus returns in His Majesty to defeat Satan and rule over the world only to find himself face-to-face with a United Nations relief operation and some very frustrated military lawyers trying to set up a war crimes court.
and some of the biblical stuff what the good side did def would be warcrimes. (for the baddies it is their way of life anyways)
(or when they ask him for his identification, bureaucratic hell ensues).

and although not serious literature, i found that the book 'Good Omens' (Terry Pratchett/ Neil Gaiman) had a lot of not only fun but also deep thought on the subject

Reminds me a little of one of the jokes in Cthulhu Now.
Regardless of the weapon used to kill it, Cthulhu returns 1D20 minutes later.
So hit it with a nuke, and Cthulhu returns 20 minutes later, but this time it's radioactive...

Didn't stop the German army in this timeline :p

Of course, if we extend that logic, we're liable to put Dr Russian Scientist's claim that poison gas is effective even against cockroaches to the test (I'm skeptical myself).

There was a Turtledove short story where the Apocalypse happens during WWI - the soldiers in the trenches on the Western Front barely notice anything is happening...

and although not serious literature, i found that the book 'Good Omens' (Terry Pratchett/ Neil Gaiman) had a lot of not only fun but also deep thought on the subject

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you haven't read it yet, please, please, please do so.

By the way, @carlton_bach - just what does this war end up being called in the world of this timeline?

The Great War?
The Eastern War?
The Russo-German War?

I tend to doubt that a war without the UK, France or the US gets a label as unqualified as "World" or "Great." But that said, it's not immediately obvious to me what the people of this timeline would end up calling it.

My money is on the Great War. Perhaps after the second war, they would be know as the First and Second Russo-German Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.