Deleted member 94708

Because at the moment it feels like a 'short victorious war' whereas the post-war politics suggests otherwise.
I'm unsure that that's entirely true; the post-war politics of the Hanoverian domains seem to track well with the pre-war tensions between Britain and the ENA. I don't think a long war would be required to ensure that those tensions lead to a rupture. Even a short victorious war will only briefly paper over the cracks.

Meanwhile, it seems pretty clear from the hints we've gotten that the Hermanidad loses the war, badly, and the Societists come to power during the post-war discontent.

3) Marylanders... :D Sigh. Keep 'em with Virginia. I know Marylanders as my neighbors, they're just puffed up Virginians!

Ouch! You wound me, Umbric Man :openedeyewink:

Great update overall BTW, loving these little country entries at the start of each chapter, really helps a new reader like me get caught up.

Faeelin

Banned
Anyway, I like how Thande, one of this board's biggest British nationalists, has created a world where Britain is much, much poorer than OTL.

We know the ENA isn't going to be able to annex Carolina, will be interesting to see what stops them this time.

Last edited:
Hughes was laying on Diversitarian thought pretty heavily, along with an emphasis on social egalitarianism. Further fuels for the "what do these ideologies actually stand for" perhaps.

Similarly, although less overtly, there is the unity in diversity of the Meridian crew, and the black and white Carolinians sharing a last stand.

Thande

Donor
Anyway, I like how Thande, one of this board's biggest British nationalists, has created a world where Britain is much, much poorer than OTL.
Wish fulfilment AH is boring (because predictable).

I have reached the worrying conclusion that anyone who forms a picture of me based on what I publish on SLP (aside from LTTW) will think I'm a Eurofederalist because of my tendency to deliberately not write wish fulfilment AH (or at least not fulfilling my wishes).

Hughes was laying on Diversitarian thought pretty heavily, along with an emphasis on social egalitarianism. Further fuels for the "what do these ideologies actually stand for" perhaps.

Similarly, although less overtly, there is the unity in diversity of the Meridian crew, and the black and white Carolinians sharing a last stand.
Or, to be more precise, the authors of those segments, writing in retrospect in the 1970s and 80s, are pushing that angle.

Should this be "Reid was outranked by Tilson"?
Well spotted, will edit.

Flag: The Union Jack (or Union Flag), a combination of the red on white St George’s Cross for England and the white on blue St Andrew’s Saltire for Scotland which dates from the Union of the Crowns in the early 1600s. The standard version has the St George’s Cross on top, but an alternative which has the St Andrew’s Cross on top (originally used in the 1600s) has seen a recent revival in Scotland. Much less frequently, the St George’s Cross and St Andrew’s Saltire are used alone by some people, as is the yellow on black St David’s Cross in Wales.
Did I miss the part when they took the Asterisk off the middle?

Yay, it's back!

Some effort to imitate a Turtledovian style there?

Do you have the course of the war mapped out already, or are you to some extent winging it at this point?

Japhy

Banned
I was last caught up with this when the Popular Wars were winding down so I'm excited this is starting up again when I only have ten more updates to read.

Wish fulfilment AH is boring (because predictable).

I mean, wasn't that why you made Revolutionary France a steampunk Nazi country? I do like the Jacobin Wars section of the TL a lot, and found it quite entertaining, but I didn't understand why Revolutionary France suddenly held opposite views to OTL. I mean, sure, Linnaeus' racism had more clout than OTL, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Revolutionary France turns racist. And as for the steampunk part, how did Cugnot's highly inefficient cars become such an effective tool for France? Seems like Rule of Cool is in effect here.

Not that it makes LTTW a bad TL. I love it, in fact, for its sheer originality and excellent writing. But it does seem that wish fulfillment influenced the direction of the TL.