An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Sorry to be this late in welcoming you back, Basileus! (I had lost all hope to see it back...)

I'm quite intrigued by this other champion of Islam.

It's always nice to read about the development of Rhomania-in-the-East.

Let's see how this Eternal War goes... aside from its "indecisiveness", it will be interesting to see what other consequences it's going to have (Maybe essentialy solidifying the border more or less). If I remember correctly the War of Roman Succession is not that far off (the 1630s?).

Is the War of Roman Succession like OTL War of Spanish Succession? Because if so it's going to be another damn civil war in Rhomania.
The Empire better not lose its periphery states.

I am pretty sure B444 gave another name to the War Roman Succession, it was First World War thus most if not all the great powers will be involved, there is the possibility the war could be as disastrous as the time of troubles for Rhomania or very favorable to her for example gaining dominance in the east.

Hopefully it will involve a united Roman Empire fighting off foreigners and their favourite horses. Though from the recent birth of a Sicilian Andreas I think I know who the eventual winner will be.

I'm slightly confused about the baby Andreas. If he is the child of the Despot of Sicily and the heiress of the Emperor what does that mean for Sicily and the Empire? Will he inherit both? Or will the second child get Sicily? Demetrios III isn't going to be having any new children any time soon.

I'm slightly confused about the baby Andreas. If he is the child of the Despot of Sicily and the heiress of the Emperor what does that mean for Sicily and the Empire? Will he inherit both? Or will the second child get Sicily? Demetrios III isn't going to be having any new children any time soon.
The Despot of Sicily is married to the daughter of Theodora Komnenos who is removed from the succession by quite a bit.
The heir of Sicily is a different person to the heir of the Empire.

Last edited:
HanEmpire: Demetrios’ writing is the first bit of the next update. As for his marriage, let’s just said Jahzara isn’t too impressed with her husband.

As for Russia, it has…issues. I just wrote what’s going in Russia in one of the upcoming updates.

Arrix85: I haven’t planned out all of the fallout from the Eternal War but a lot will be important for setting some of the groundwork for the War of the Roman Succession (late 1620s/early 1630s start date planned-I have some stuff that needs to happen first).

War of the Roman Succession: I can’t think of an OTL conflict that is a close match to the War of the Roman Succession/First World War. The one that leaps to mind the most is the War of the Austrian Succession.

Sicilian Andreas: The Despots of Sicily are of the di Lecce-Komnenos branch, descended from Zoe, Andreas Niketas’ elder sister. The Despot of Sicily, who died shortly before the birth of his grandson, was married to a daughter of Theodora Komnena. His eldest son and heir Alexios, now the brand-new Despot of Sicily, earlier married Helena the Younger, daughter of Demetrios II. So baby Andreas is not only the heir of Rhomania (via his great-grandmother Empress Helena, grandfather Demetrios II, and mother Helena the Younger) but also that of Sicily (via his father Alexios). So baby Andreas has Theodora Komnena as a great-grandmother on his father’s side and as great-great aunt on his mother’s side.

Would somebody volunteer to make a family tree if I gave them all the pertinent information? I think it would make everybody’s lives easier, including my own.

So baby Andreas is not only the heir of Rhomania (via his great-grandmother Empress Helena, grandfather Demetrios II, and mother Helena the Younger) but also that of Sicily (via his father Alexios).
Whoa Demetrios II is that old? Shit no wonder I was confused.
So then Sicily and Rhomania will fall into a Personal Union relationship. Would the Sicilians be open to full integration into the Empire proper? Would the Romans themselves be open to that, given the potential Carthagian/Egyptian backlash?

EDIT: What is the new Andreas' last name?

Last edited:
Sicilian Andreas: The Despots of Sicily are of the di Lecce-Komnenos branch, descended from Zoe, Andreas Niketas’ elder sister. The Despot of Sicily, who died shortly before the birth of his grandson, was married to a daughter of Theodora Komnena. His eldest son and heir Alexios, now the brand-new Despot of Sicily, earlier married Helena the Younger, daughter of Demetrios II. So baby Andreas is not only the heir of Rhomania (via his great-grandmother Empress Helena, grandfather Demetrios II, and mother Helena the Younger) but also that of Sicily (via his father Alexios). So baby Andreas has Theodora Komnena as a great-grandmother on his father’s side and as great-great aunt on his mother’s side.
Is little Andreas Drakos-Komnenos or a Komnenos-Drakos? I'm curious to see if Sicily becomes more reintegrated into the empire or its ruled more like a personal union.

War of the Roman Succession: I can’t think of an OTL conflict that is a close match to the War of the Roman Succession/First World War. The one that leaps to mind the most is the War of the Austrian Succession.
Personally I'm hoping it's going to be Andreas III fending off wave after wave of foreign barbarian scum, I think it's about time that the Empire shows Western Europe who's boss again without being embroiled in a civil war.

Once again I'd like to express my infinite joy at the continuation of this timeline. This TL is the whole reason I joined the site. Basileus, to ensure that people know that you are alive if you ever need to absent yourself like you did, would you mind, if able, posting that you will be taking an indefinite hiatus, so we don't fear the worst?

Andreid Family Tree 1516.png

Andrean Family Tree 1550.png

Can't upload these into a PM so uploading them here.

Whoa Demetrios II is that old? Shit no wonder I was confused.
So then Sicily and Rhomania will fall into a Personal Union relationship. Would the Sicilians be open to full integration into the Empire proper? Would the Romans themselves be open to that, given the potential Carthagian/Egyptian backlash?

EDIT: What is the new Andreas' last name?

I don't think it will come to that... To have a war of succession the "Front-runner" has to die or he has to be perceived as too weak to rule (then he could flee to Sicily, but wouldn't rule both Rhomania and Sicily).

His name I guess is Andreas Di Lecce-Komnenos Drakos, but if he manage to make it until the coronation he would be Andreas III Drakos of Rhomania and Andreas II Di Lecce-Komnenos of Sicily.

I've some doubts about the numerals of Sicilian despots (Do they include their time as Dukes of Abruzzi?), but this problem would only apply to future Alfredos and Manuels.

I've got a doubt about Andreas' father, Alexios since he is the son of Alexandra Komnena Drakina (daughter of Theodora) would he include the name Drakos? His name should be Alexios Drakos-Di Lecce-Komnenos? (It wouldn't change anything for his son)

It's easy to see how the War of succession will go global... the order right now is:
1. Andreas Di Lecce-Komnenos Drakos;
2. Manfred Drakos- Von Wittelsbach (current King of the Romans, heir of the HRE, although his father is fighting a civil war with his uncle) and his brother Otto;
3. Andreas Drakos Laskaris (Heir of Russia) and his brothers Demetrios and Theodoros;
3. Demetrios Drakos Sideros (their mothers are twins) and his his sister Zoe Laskarina Drakina Sidera (married to the crown prince of EAN)[I don't include Anna Drakina Sidera, married to the Duke of Padua];
4. Gyorgis Solomon (Heir of Ethiopia) and his brother Quastantinos;
5. Miguel Drakos Trastamara (Son of the Crown Prince of Castille-Portugal);
6. Anna Drakina Bagrationi (Heiress of Georgia);
7. Bela Drakos Hunyadi (son of Crown Prince of Hungary);

And this is just considering Helena's descendants... If we were to include also Alexeia's and Theodora's (I think Theodora is older, but since she is adopted what would be the order between them?) you can add Arles, Prussia, Vlachia, Sicily again (Andreas' brother, Hektor).

If Andreas' main problem was that he sired too many children, the Triumvirate problem is the fact of who their children married (I guess it was kind of unavoidable once Venera Bagration died and Demetrios II didn't sire anyone else).

A small nitpick about the last update: The Megas Domestikos cannot be Anastasios Komnenos Drakos, who is the current King of Prussia, but Alexandros Komnenos Drakos, which is the uncle of:
- the Despot of Sicily, not Egypt through his sister Alexandra;
- the heir of Prussia, trough his brother Anastasios;
- the heir of Vlachia, though his sister Anastasia;
- the heir of Arles, through his wife Sophia Komnena;

So It's easy to see how the children of Theodora could make some noise given the fact that they could've on their side the Megas Domestikos.